The rules are up.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Yes, I meant base. But just ignore all that ranting. I blame it all on being jet-lagged, having just flown back to the U.S. from Australia the day before I posted that. I've chilled out since then.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#22 sverigesson

sverigesson

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

Fair enough. As for the concern about the size of the box set, take it in context. As has been said, the Assault on Black Reach box set contains models enough to make (assuming no modifications from outside the box):

Space Marines: 575 (no upgrades) - 665 (Giving the Captain some upgrades and making the Dreadnought Venerable) or you could probably treat the Captain as a Chapter Master or Character (maybe Cato Sicarius?) for way more points.

Orks: 480 (Barebonez) - 651 ('Ard Boyz, Stikkbomms for all, troop Nobz, Boss Upgrades)

Now, you can play anywhere from 500 - A hojillion points, but a normal game in 5th edition was generally between 1500 and 2000 points. That puts the forces at roughly 28-44% (Space Marines) and 24-43% (Orks). This is pretty spot on with the suggested point value of 31 (31%) for X-Wing suggested while playing with only the starter box.

#23 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

sverigesson said:

Budgernaut said:

One rule I'm not happy with is how to move your fighter if another ship is in the way of your movement dial. They want us to estimate where it lands by holding the movement dial over the other ship? Common! How about placing an unused movement guide against the front of the ship that's in the way. Then remove that ship(s) and have that ship's owner hold the movement dial securely. Next, the active ship moves and can lay it's movement dial flat on the table with only a possibility of being slightly elevated by the other movement dial. After placing the active ship, remove it's movement dial. Then place the non active ship(s). That leaves no room for ambiguity.

I assume when you keep saying "movement dial" you actually mean "base"? Or do you mean "maneuver template"? Either way, I don't really know what you are talking about here, because I think the rules for overlapping ships is very concise and easy to follow.

I re-read my post and I actually meant maneuver template, rather than movement dial or ship base. What I was getting at is that since the maneuver templates are flat, you could use a few of those to mark where other ships are, then put your maneuver template over those (since they are flat) and then move your ship. Then you replace the other ships based on where their place-holder maneuver templates are.

The rules state that in a situation where a ship is in the way of a maneuver template (but the bases will not necessarily overlap) you just hold the guide over the other ships and make a best guess. My method is more exact, but more tedious and probably takes more time. It's not a game-changing rule, as written, but I may try out my way to see just how much it slows the game down.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS