• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#161 ixNine

ixNine

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hi.

I am a planning on painting my miniatures. I am a beginner, and I know absolutely nothing in regards to miniature painting. I am thinking about painting my Descent figures and D&D figures. With the plastic, is it okay to use acrylic paints (water-based) such as those used for Warhammer 40k? 

Also, I had some questions on which brand of brushes you guys used, what brand of paints, and if I needed any additional supplies?
I was planning on picking up either Formula P3 or Citadel paints. I know that Citadel paints are more expensive, but they are easily accessed around stores. Formula P3 is a lesser known brand that is more rare in stores, but it offers more variety in colors. 

I was looking for suggestions. 

Thanks a bunch in advance.

#162 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

ixNine said:

I am a planning on painting my miniatures. I am a beginner, and I know absolutely nothing in regards to miniature painting. I am thinking about painting my Descent figures and D&D figures. With the plastic, is it okay to use acrylic paints (water-based) such as those used for Warhammer 40k? 

Yeah, acrylics work fine for this plastic.  The soft plastics are typically a bit more "slippery" than hard plastics like 40K minis are made from, so you definitely want to do a primer coat, but beyond that I find it the same as painting any other minis.

ixNine said:

Also, I had some questions on which brand of brushes you guys used, what brand of paints, and if I needed any additional supplies?
I was planning on picking up either Formula P3 or Citadel paints. I know that Citadel paints are more expensive, but they are easily accessed around stores. Formula P3 is a lesser known brand that is more rare in stores, but it offers more variety in colors. 

I used Citadel paints almost exclusively for a long time, growing up.  They work fine, although I have since grown dissatisfied with the craftsmanship of the bottles they come in.  My current favourite brand is Vallejo, which is not the easiest brand to find in hobby stores, but the colours are nice and vibrant and the bottles are really well built, too =)

#163 skolo

skolo

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

Vallejo is very popular in Europe. Same as Army Painter.

They are using the same tubes for paints.

Very good stuff.

For some bigger projects or where the surface is bigger I use small jars (XF?) from Tamiya.

Back in a days, for my WW2 models, I was using humbrol paints a lot. But his are rather world war colors.

I was never using citadel paints to be honest. I got some of them like bronze or xeno-something ;-) but I work mainly with AP

#164 skolo

skolo

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

#165 skolo

skolo

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

#166 skolo

skolo

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

i can no longer find my avatar so I changed to the other goblin...

anyone busy with painting something?

#167 noodles

noodles

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Quick questions: do you wash first or base coat first? Also do you do a separate wash for each color using a darker base coat or do you wash the entire figure at once? I've seen some on bgg talk about dipping, when should you do that versus brushing a wash on? And when would you want to wash with inks versus paints? Thanks for the help. I'm really anxious to give his a try.

#168 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

My basic procedure goes something like this:

1. Paint each area in their base color separately, for example, paint the pants brown. Allow to dry

2. Darken the base color and add it as a wash, in this case either a very dark brown, or even black. Allow to dry

3. Drybrush on the base color followed by 1 or 2 (or more) successively lighter tints of the base color.

4. Move on to the next area and paint t, let's say paint the shirt blue, add wash, et cetera ...

In between you will likely have to touch up each area as you do it, but that's normal. Also some people will do all the colors at once and then wash and drybrush each area seperately

That is about as basic as it gets, there are of course many variations on this , everyone has there own style, this is basically mine. Some will use the dip method (paint each color on each mini all at once, then dip the figure in a wash) usually for armies as it is a quick way of doing a whole lot of figures in a short time. I wouldn't as I think it's a little crude looking, and I like to take my time with my figs. Paints or inks as a wash? I would suggest you try both and see which one you prefer. I use both for different effects. Inks tend to be more intense in color, paints are a little more subtle. Inks are also  good for intensifying colors. Say you've painted a green cape, but it doesn't look as intensely green as you like. Go over it with either a green or yellow ink but not as a heavy wash, you want it to cover the area evenly. Doing this will really make that green cape pop.

Again, at it's simplest it's - base coat, wash,  drybrush. Then there's blending, but that's a fairly advanced technique, I wouldn't worry about that yet.

Any other questions?

Edited by BatHead, 15 July 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#169 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

Quick questions: do you wash first or base coat first? Also do you do a separate wash for each color using a darker base coat or do you wash the entire figure at once? I've seen some on bgg talk about dipping, when should you do that versus brushing a wash on? And when would you want to wash with inks versus paints? Thanks for the help. I'm really anxious to give his a try.

The dipping process is part of a "speed painting" technique that seems to have caught on in recent years.  I haven't tried it myself, but I admit it produces quite good results and I have considered trying it.

This is how it goes, basically:

1. basecoat the mini in white (optional)

2. paint the different sections of the mini in bright colours

3. after drying, dip the mini in a small container of the wash coat, pull out, allow to dry.

In step 2, you want to paint the mini with slightly brighter colours than you actually want it to be, since the dipping part will darken the overall colour of the mini somewhat.  Applying a white basecoat first will help the colours be their brightest, and provide something better than the original plastic for paints to hold on to, but it isn't strictly necessary.

You can do a search for the dipping technique to find pictures of before and after to get a feeling for how much darker the mini will be.

The dip technique is essentially the same as applying a wash with a brush, except that it's faster since you just dunk the whole mini in the wash instead of brushing it on.  You would want to use a neutral shade for the dip, of course, since it will be used to wash over all the colours you want on the mini.

#170 MarcelloKing

MarcelloKing

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

your work is simply awesome! you got my full respect!

#171 noodles

noodles

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the responses.  I'm probably going to buy some brushes and paints this weekend and start on the spiders.  They seem the easiest and a good candidate for getting a feel for things.  I've got all of D1 so at some point I'd like to paint everything.  Can anyone give me an idea as to how long it would take to paint all figures (D1 and D2)?

#172 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

I've got all of D1 so at some point I'd like to paint everything.  Can anyone give me an idea as to how long it would take to paint all figures (D1 and D2)?

Ultimately that depends on how fast you work.  For me it would likely take six months to a year, because I don't have the kind of time I used to when I was still in school.  The fact that I don't use speed painting techniques like the "dip method" (historically speaking) also doesn't help.

If you can put in a solid 2-3 hours every day, it might take three or four months.  Add a little time to account for you being new at it.  If you use the dip method, you might get done in a few weeks, again depending on how many hours you can put towards it.

Just relax and enjoy the painting process.  Painting is a hobby in it's own right, after all!  Pick a technique that gives you the results you want and just work on building a schedule that ensures you make consistent progress.  You'll get it done in due time.

• skolo likes this

#173 skolo

skolo

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

pic1763982_lg.jpg

#174 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Can anyone give me an idea as to how long it would take to paint all figures (D1 and D2)?

It depends. I used to paint figures for Grenadier models, and I kinda had to work to a semi-rigid schedule. On average, depending on how complex the figures were and how similar to each other they were, I could maybe paint a ten figure box set in about two to three weeks. Less, if the were all basically the same figure, but in different poses and different weapons (like the Battle Lords series.) A dragon or other large figure might take up to two weeks. This was all done using pretty much the procedure I outlined in my last post, and I generally got pretty good results. But this was all after I'd been at it a while and I had a lot of practice painting relatively quickly. Of course when I would do it for my own collection, I would take a bit more time. I would suggest doing maybe five figures at a time, generally trying to get as similar figures done together. For example, for Desecent I would maybe paint a group consisting of the two giants and three zombies, I could probably knock them out in a week.

Well actually, I have plans to do some modifying of the giants, they are very plain looking, and I would at least like to mod the master giant into something a little more impressive, so in my case it would actually take me a little longer. But the point is, if I didn't mod them I could paint them fairly quickly.

#175 golem101

golem101

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Just started painting the D2 minis. I'm going for speed vs detail (except for the heroes), as I'm a bit scared by the time I spent on the Gears of War minis.

Basecoat, base colors, wash, drybrush as needed, wash again. Hope to keep this baseline for most minis, maybe the larger ones will need some more attention.

Right now working on the zombies, pics will follow soon.

#176 Slidr

Slidr

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi,
i started painting some Miniatures about 2 years ago and with descent 2nd i continued painting...

Here are some Heroes:HeldenUebersicht01.jpg

Some Monsters are coming soon. Check my (german)painting blog Slidr`s Blog for regular updates the next weeks.

Not so frequently i can load up some pictures here, if you want.

Greetings,
Slidr

Edited by Slidr, 04 September 2013 - 01:57 PM.

• skolo likes this

#177 skolo

skolo

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

very nice job Slidr

#178 Slidr

Slidr

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thank you skolo!

A little update on my Blog (there are some more pictures then shown here)!

A little selection of pictures, hope you like them.

20130906_224242.jpg

20130906_224116.jpg

20130906_224615.jpg

Edited by Slidr, 06 September 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#179 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Nice blending job on the wings of those "whatchamacallems"   (I forget what they're called)

Edited by BatHead, 06 September 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#180 Slidr

Slidr

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:07 AM

Thanks,

although i must admit that i use the airbrush for most of the bigger monsters: really makes things a lot nicer and faster.

• skolo likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS