Jump to content



Photo

Overlord Winning Before Heroes Can React?


  • Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 Zcurator

Zcurator

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Funny, people over at BGG have no problem with blocking heroes.



#42 Draffut

Draffut

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

"Setup: Goblins(?) and zombies placed all around the guests in the 2 rooms they can spawn in - as well as 4 across blocking entrance

Turn 1: Goblins activate - move 2 forward to open the door in the way (path is now clear to exit). with remaining goblins identify 3 partiers

Zombies activate - identify 3 other partiers (for a total of 6)

Note: any 'cultists' got to do stuff too

Turn 2: all of our 4 villagers were already in the hands of monsters - all monsters run (move 2x) and leave the map. Game over…."

So, the OL setup 5 creatures only a couple of spaces away from the group and somehow all of them survived the first turn?  Did the 4 man group of heroes miss every attack they should have been taking to completely decimate the first room?



#43 MasterBeastman

MasterBeastman

    Member

  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Mrbob0069 said:

My point is, the heroes have the advantage of going first.  If they choose to open the door when they have no actions left to react to what comes out.  Thats jus poor playing on their part.  The heroes have to play stratigicly too. not just rush forward like a raving band of maurauding orcs hoping to overpower the OL.

The heroes went first, sure. Then I went and they saw that the guy they had to save lost almost half of his health under a barrage of zombie fists. After my second turn, they realized they had only two more turns, three if they were lucky, to get to him. That didn't leave any room for rest actions or healing. It was bad that they got spread out, sure. But the cleric was tied up using the altar to heal and the others went as fast as they could.

I've been at the same table and I'm really not sure what I'd do differently than the heroes are doing to try and win.



#44 Sausageman

Sausageman

    Member

  • Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

Slinthas said:

a.) Players have insanely too much defense almost immediately. Everyone starts with 1 grey dice. 0,1,1,2,3,4 shields respectively. That is an average of 1.83 shields per dice roll. Now, I do like the variance that rolls for defense add instead of the just raw number you had to overcome in D1, but here where it gets broken. Almost every piece of armor you add doubles your defense. Doubles. The warrior got Chain Mail in the first dungeon from a search. That ADDED a grey dice. Now she's up to 3.66 average per roll, plus her shield. Then the cleric could add ANOTHER grey dice which puts her at 5.5 shields + shield ON AVERAGE per roll. Nothing is going to hit that in act 1. I mean you may sneak 1 or 2 here any there but an entire pack of monsters , doing 1-3 damage to a tank with 14 hp, well..whats the point? I already have no incentive to attack players, because none of my objectives ever involve killing them, just beating them to the punch, and thats good, since…you cant kill them. Sure sure, random is random and any given roll wierd things can happen, and I did manage to murder her once, but only because she made the mistake of going to full fatigue. It still took a LT., Master Ettin, 3 Zombies, Normal Ettin and Normal Dragon to take her down 5 hp. I get that heros are stronger, and its a hack n slash feel, heros mow down monsters in vast waves etc. but … eh. I think players should start out with Brown Defense dice. I think that equipping armor should REPLACE the base defense not add to it. Yes I know everyone will say boo hoo it makes the players weaker, no no no. Yes it will. It will also make combat more attractive to the OL, since maybe, if my monster group lasts more than 1 player round (fat chance if they arent dragons or ettins) I can actually hit the tank…and yes I base this all on the tank since they are going to force me to attack them anyhow.

I actually agree with much of what you've said here.  Heroes should start with either brown defense dice, or actual equipment cards that give them their base defense (i.e. the grey dice they start with is ASSUMED chainmail, meaning they cannot put on another layer of mail).  Any new armour should REPLACE what was there before, IMO.  And with the significantly lower damage output now, having armour greatly improved could cause a huge issue in games (and it seems it has done, looking at this thread).

Slightly related to this, I wonder why they made all armour dice six sided.  Battle of Westeros shows they are prepared to make custom eight sided dice, I wonder why we didn't see an eight sided black defense dice.  The armour value might not change, but the chance of rolling a blank is reduced.  Just a thought.



#45 MajMalfunction

MajMalfunction

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

How did the OL block Tomble in a hallway?  His feat would allow him to bypass the monster where he could run down the goblins.



#46 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

    Member

  • Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:19 AM

Zcurator said:

Funny, people over at BGG have no problem with blocking heroes.

Zcurator said:

Funny, people over at BGG have no problem with blocking heroes.

 

I don't think many people have a problem with it here either - they are just lurking and not posting… like I have been. It's a good and viable tactic for the Overlord. MAKE the heroes come and fight. As an OL I have, and will, continue to use that as a strategy! Force the heroes to use their once per encounter feats if they are combat feats etc, force them to use fatigue to get more movement and damage, anything.

 

You are the Overlord - not a Dungeon Master - you are an evil force set to destroy the heroes and thwart their feeble plans. The heroes need to deal with it and react and adapt to whatever the OL throws at them. SURE the game still needs to be fun… but taking away blocking of heroes would severely unbalance the game IMO.


  • Sibaweh likes this

#47 Draffut

Draffut

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:24 AM

Quoting on these boards is terrible.  This is to Efidm

First off, you are just flat out wrong.  The Grey dice has the sides of 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3.  This is an average of 1.33 shields per roll.

Secondly, armor does not flat out double your defense.  Some armor increases by a brown die.  The armor you got did, but that increase it to 2.66.  A full damage lower on average.  Also, why would you ever attck a player over a more squishy target unless you had to?  That's just dumb.  Also, I don't know how your 'cleric' is adding i grey dice, since cleric is not a class.  If it is the spiritspeaker's base ability, it can only be done once a turn.  If it is the Disciples Armor of Faith, it only adds brown dice.

First off, most of the player's power increase come from skills they buy, and they are hardly 'lacking'.  Secondly let's compare the basic Battleaxe to the Act 1 battleaxe.  Same dice?  Yup.  Inate powers, improved axe has pierce.  Surges?  Improved damage surge  is double that of the base one, and it can increase its pierce even more.  I don't see how this is minor at all, that's a regular +2 damage.

Also, you were expecting each goblin to have as much HP (the same 'base stats') as the wizard?  Like 8 each?  That would be insane and all but impossible for the players to win.

So every level should just be you flinging hundreds of monsters at the players for 3 hours?  That did exactly that in 1st ed.  It was terrible.  Yes, if you use your goblin archers to fire exclusively at the tank in the chainmail with 14 HP and a healer standing up his ass they wont do much.  Attack someone else.  It isn't that difficult.



#48 Slinthas

Slinthas

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

 

Draffut said:

Quoting on these boards is terrible.  This is to Efidm

First off, you are just flat out wrong.  The Grey dice has the sides of 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3.  This is an average of 1.33 shields per roll.

Secondly, armor does not flat out double your defense.  Some armor increases by a brown die.  The armor you got did, but that increase it to 2.66.  A full damage lower on average.  Also, why would you ever attck a player over a more squishy target unless you had to?  That's just dumb.  Also, I don't know how your 'cleric' is adding i grey dice, since cleric is not a class.  If it is the spiritspeaker's base ability, it can only be done once a turn.  If it is the Disciples Armor of Faith, it only adds brown dice.

First off, most of the player's power increase come from skills they buy, and they are hardly 'lacking'.  Secondly let's compare the basic Battleaxe to the Act 1 battleaxe.  Same dice?  Yup.  Inate powers, improved axe has pierce.  Surges?  Improved damage surge  is double that of the base one, and it can increase its pierce even more.  I don't see how this is minor at all, that's a regular +2 damage.

Also, you were expecting each goblin to have as much HP (the same 'base stats') as the wizard?  Like 8 each?  That would be insane and all but impossible for the players to win.

So every level should just be you flinging hundreds of monsters at the players for 3 hours?  That did exactly that in 1st ed.  It was terrible.  Yes, if you use your goblin archers to fire exclusively at the tank in the chainmail with 14 HP and a healer standing up his ass they wont do much.  Attack someone else.  It isn't that difficult.

 

You have managed to entire miss the point of every single thing you replied to.

Secondly, armor does not flat out double your defense. Some armor increases by a brown die. The armor you got did, but that increase it to 2.66. - Yes, SOME doesnt, but we were talking about the one we experienced, and 2.66 is double 1.33.

Also, why would you ever attck a player over a more squishy target unless you had to? That's just dumb.- I agree, sadly there was a Knight in the group so I dont have a freaking choice. They FORCE YOU to attack them. Just one of thier abilities and you can believe if someone is playing the meatshield, they are going to meatshield.

Also, I don't know how your 'cleric' is adding i grey dice, since cleric is not a class. - Cleric is the Archtype, Spiritspeaker is the class….I work on a game called Rift, where Cleric is the Class, and Spiritspeaker would be the soul, its just a terminology difference, means the same crap. Nitpicking that seems a bit rediculous. As for the ability its called: Stoneskin - it reads When you or a hero within 3 spaces is attacked, before dice are rolled, exhaust this card to add 1 additional grey dice to that hero's defense pool. So yeah thats how the Cleric (and it IS STILL A CLERIC just because it subspecialized in Spiritspeaker) adds an extra grey dice.

First off, most of the player's power increase come from skills they buy, and they are hardly 'lacking'. Secondly let's compare the basic Battleaxe to the Act 1 battleaxe. Same dice? Yup. Inate powers, improved axe has pierce. Surges? Improved damage surge is double that of the base one, and it can increase its pierce even more. I don't see how this is minor at all, that's a regular +2 damage. - You miss the point. There is no smooth ramp up in grear/player power. Adding Surge 1 to a weapon is FAR FAR stronger than say adding an extra power dice in D1 was. Small incremental increase in Player Power is a better DESIGN philosophy than, doubling your damage output with your first weapon upgrade, or doubling your armor with your first armor upgrade. Adding pierce 1 to the upgrade for the battleaxe means that, after the FIRST ADVENTURE, the ones that the players have to activly try to lose, if the player win (they will!) the melee damage dealers cut 80% of ALL MONSTERS FOR THE NEXT 4 ADVENTURES, armor from 1.33 to .33 or less. That is a 75% decrease in all monsters' defense except for Dragons and Ettins, oh and Zombies who only have brown so its even more drastic. 1 in 3 rolls you will block 1 shield of damage.  You don't think that's a bit drastic for a FIRST UPGRADE? Players already 1 round entire monster groups, why do they need that much help? And I'm not even talking here about surge spending.

 

Also, you were expecting each goblin to have as much HP (the same 'base stats') as the wizard? Like 8 each? That would be insane and all but impossible for the players to win. - I wasnt expecting anything, I said, Even if they had the same stats as Heros, the heros would roflstomp them in 1 round because of the sever disparity in comparitive power. I.E. - They suck too much to ever use for anything other than double run actions.

 

So every level should just be you flinging hundreds of monsters at the players for 3 hours? That did exactly that in 1st ed. It was terrible. Yes, if you use your goblin archers to fire exclusively at the tank in the chainmail with 14 HP and a healer standing up his ass they wont do much. Attack someone else. It isn't that difficult. - No, nowhere did I say that I had that expectation. What I said was I am disincentivized to engage in combat with anything besides Ettins or Dragons because nothing else will live 1 TURN so that I can actually attack with them, LET ALONE DO DAMAGE! - And the EXACT set up you describe with a Tank and Healer standing side by side at the forefront is what you deal with when you have a Knight + Spiritspeaker, oh and hey guess what? As already stated THE KNIGHT GETS TO CONTROLL WHERE I ATTACK if I attack any player near her, and when there is a tank like that in the group, you can be assured that the soft ones stay with range of that ability.

 

Look Im not trying to start a fight or anything but, you are just spouting stuff. I don't expect the OL to be so powerful that the players can't win. I expect my monsters to die easily to the players. I do NOT expect that 80% of my monsters can't have defense after 1 adventure or that NONE of my monsters can HIT a player after 1 adventure. And lets be clear here - It can happen IN the first adventure if you get lucky on a  search.

 

D1 was a balance nightmare, every expansion swung it in a different way, and honestly I expected some of this same stuff in D2. I didn't expect WORSE balance however. There is ALOT to commend in this addition, and we will still play it, but you can't even try to deny that there is an incredible amount of B.S. in it too, and I do include in that that the only viable winning tactic for the OL is to….not fight and block hallways with big high defense monsters. That is both not fun, and not thematically consistent with what I would expect from a crazy evil Overlord.

 

 



#49 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

    Member

  • Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Slinthas said:

 Look Im not trying to start a fight or anything but, you are just spouting stuff. I don't expect the OL to be so powerful that the players can't win. I expect my monsters to die easily to the players. I do NOT expect that 80% of my monsters can't have defense after 1 adventure or that NONE of my monsters can HIT a player after 1 adventure. And lets be clear here - It can happen IN the first adventure if you get lucky on a  search.

 

D1 was a balance nightmare, every expansion swung it in a different way, and honestly I expected some of this same stuff in D2. I didn't expect WORSE balance however. There is ALOT to commend in this addition, and we will still play it, but you can't even try to deny that there is an incredible amount of B.S. in it too, and I do include in that that the only viable winning tactic for the OL is to….not fight and block hallways with big high defense monsters. That is both not fun, and not thematically consistent with what I would expect from a crazy evil Overlord.

 

But you also have to recognize that some groups of Heroes (especially if playing with less than the full 4) may not get any useful equipment upgrades for several Quests.

Since shop cards are dealt out randomly at a rate of X+1 where X is the number of Heroes, getting useful gear can be pretty hit or miss.

I think the conclusion that I am drawing here, having heard people arguing passionately that the OL is at advantage, and that the Heroes are at advantage, is that the advantage is this game is very delicate.  In Act I, at least (because I have not yet played any Act 2), it seems that a single search, a single Shopping trip, a single miss rolled by either side, can drastically alter the outcome of the game, and even influence future Quests.  I am now very, very interested in play at least three Campaigns through to conclusion, and then consider my final reflections on balance in this game.


  • tadkil likes this

#50 Draffut

Draffut

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Slinthas said:

 

 

Draffut said:

 

Quoting on these boards is terrible.  This is to Efidm

First off, you are just flat out wrong.  The Grey dice has the sides of 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3.  This is an average of 1.33 shields per roll.

Secondly, armor does not flat out double your defense.  Some armor increases by a brown die.  The armor you got did, but that increase it to 2.66.  A full damage lower on average.  Also, why would you ever attck a player over a more squishy target unless you had to?  That's just dumb.  Also, I don't know how your 'cleric' is adding i grey dice, since cleric is not a class.  If it is the spiritspeaker's base ability, it can only be done once a turn.  If it is the Disciples Armor of Faith, it only adds brown dice.

First off, most of the player's power increase come from skills they buy, and they are hardly 'lacking'.  Secondly let's compare the basic Battleaxe to the Act 1 battleaxe.  Same dice?  Yup.  Inate powers, improved axe has pierce.  Surges?  Improved damage surge  is double that of the base one, and it can increase its pierce even more.  I don't see how this is minor at all, that's a regular +2 damage.

Also, you were expecting each goblin to have as much HP (the same 'base stats') as the wizard?  Like 8 each?  That would be insane and all but impossible for the players to win.

So every level should just be you flinging hundreds of monsters at the players for 3 hours?  That did exactly that in 1st ed.  It was terrible.  Yes, if you use your goblin archers to fire exclusively at the tank in the chainmail with 14 HP and a healer standing up his ass they wont do much.  Attack someone else.  It isn't that difficult.

 

 

 

You have managed to entire miss the point of every single thing you replied to.

Secondly, armor does not flat out double your defense. Some armor increases by a brown die. The armor you got did, but that increase it to 2.66. - Yes, SOME doesnt, but we were talking about the one we experienced, and 2.66 is double 1.33.

Also, why would you ever attck a player over a more squishy target unless you had to? That's just dumb.- I agree, sadly there was a Knight in the group so I dont have a freaking choice. They FORCE YOU to attack them. Just one of thier abilities and you can believe if someone is playing the meatshield, they are going to meatshield.

Also, I don't know how your 'cleric' is adding i grey dice, since cleric is not a class. - Cleric is the Archtype, Spiritspeaker is the class….I work on a game called Rift, where Cleric is the Class, and Spiritspeaker would be the soul, its just a terminology difference, means the same crap. Nitpicking that seems a bit rediculous. As for the ability its called: Stoneskin - it reads When you or a hero within 3 spaces is attacked, before dice are rolled, exhaust this card to add 1 additional grey dice to that hero's defense pool. So yeah thats how the Cleric (and it IS STILL A CLERIC just because it subspecialized in Spiritspeaker) adds an extra grey dice.

First off, most of the player's power increase come from skills they buy, and they are hardly 'lacking'. Secondly let's compare the basic Battleaxe to the Act 1 battleaxe. Same dice? Yup. Inate powers, improved axe has pierce. Surges? Improved damage surge is double that of the base one, and it can increase its pierce even more. I don't see how this is minor at all, that's a regular +2 damage. - You miss the point. There is no smooth ramp up in grear/player power. Adding Surge 1 to a weapon is FAR FAR stronger than say adding an extra power dice in D1 was. Small incremental increase in Player Power is a better DESIGN philosophy than, doubling your damage output with your first weapon upgrade, or doubling your armor with your first armor upgrade. Adding pierce 1 to the upgrade for the battleaxe means that, after the FIRST ADVENTURE, the ones that the players have to activly try to lose, if the player win (they will!) the melee damage dealers cut 80% of ALL MONSTERS FOR THE NEXT 4 ADVENTURES, armor from 1.33 to .33 or less. That is a 75% decrease in all monsters' defense except for Dragons and Ettins, oh and Zombies who only have brown so its even more drastic. 1 in 3 rolls you will block 1 shield of damage.  You don't think that's a bit drastic for a FIRST UPGRADE? Players already 1 round entire monster groups, why do they need that much help? And I'm not even talking here about surge spending.

 

Also, you were expecting each goblin to have as much HP (the same 'base stats') as the wizard? Like 8 each? That would be insane and all but impossible for the players to win. - I wasnt expecting anything, I said, Even if they had the same stats as Heros, the heros would roflstomp them in 1 round because of the sever disparity in comparitive power. I.E. - They suck too much to ever use for anything other than double run actions.

 

So every level should just be you flinging hundreds of monsters at the players for 3 hours? That did exactly that in 1st ed. It was terrible. Yes, if you use your goblin archers to fire exclusively at the tank in the chainmail with 14 HP and a healer standing up his ass they wont do much. Attack someone else. It isn't that difficult. - No, nowhere did I say that I had that expectation. What I said was I am disincentivized to engage in combat with anything besides Ettins or Dragons because nothing else will live 1 TURN so that I can actually attack with them, LET ALONE DO DAMAGE! - And the EXACT set up you describe with a Tank and Healer standing side by side at the forefront is what you deal with when you have a Knight + Spiritspeaker, oh and hey guess what? As already stated THE KNIGHT GETS TO CONTROLL WHERE I ATTACK if I attack any player near her, and when there is a tank like that in the group, you can be assured that the soft ones stay with range of that ability.

 

Look Im not trying to start a fight or anything but, you are just spouting stuff. I don't expect the OL to be so powerful that the players can't win. I expect my monsters to die easily to the players. I do NOT expect that 80% of my monsters can't have defense after 1 adventure or that NONE of my monsters can HIT a player after 1 adventure. And lets be clear here - It can happen IN the first adventure if you get lucky on a  search.

 

D1 was a balance nightmare, every expansion swung it in a different way, and honestly I expected some of this same stuff in D2. I didn't expect WORSE balance however. There is ALOT to commend in this addition, and we will still play it, but you can't even try to deny that there is an incredible amount of B.S. in it too, and I do include in that that the only viable winning tactic for the OL is to….not fight and block hallways with big high defense monsters. That is both not fun, and not thematically consistent with what I would expect from a crazy evil Overlord.

 

Yes, 2.66 is double 1.33.  But you said grey defense dice gave you 1.83 and doubled to 3.66.  I was simply pointing out your incorrect numbers.

How many players do you play with?  Was the knight adjacent to every single one of them every time?  It was the 3 movement hero I assume. (from the 14HP)

Did you pit trap that hero to split them up?  Or Dark Charm to make the healer sprint forward by himself.  Remember, both fighters have pitiful awareness, use traps on them a lot.

Did you use Ettins to 'throw' the hero's (It isn't an attack and cannot be redirected), effectively splitting them up to  pick off? 

Did you use Elementals and Merriods and Zombies to immobilize them?  Mind you again Elementals target Awareness with their immoblize.

Did you use Shadow Dragons, and Elementals to attack both of them all at once?

How about using Barghest's and Elementals to eat the fatigue so he cannot redirect any attacks?

Just becuase you fail to try and even see a method around it does not mean the game is imbalanced.

That is what I figured about the Spiritspeaker.  Just remember that it can only be used once a turn, so as long as you make more than one attack it stops being effective.

Also, I find it funny how you compare the item scaling to first edition, where the only method for the hero's to win was to sprint through the level and opening chests as fast as possible since those copper/silver/gold items were each such rediculous upgrades that they all immediately became untouchable gods.

Really quick, show me how 4 charecters in act 1 are going to regularly put out 40 damage a turn to ROFL stomp 5 8hp goblins.



#51 Draffut

Draffut

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Double post, nothing to see here.



#52 Mrbob0069

Mrbob0069

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

Sounds like they blew the first encounter pretty bad then.  When we played, the OL got zero zombies off the board. so in the second encounter, he only had the master zombie left to beat on him.  That gave us a lot of breathing room in the second encounter.

Clearly your players are struggling, but so far it seems to either be bad luck, poor planing, or bad decision making.  Not a game design flaw.

The heroes should know the adventure book inside and out.  Nothing in it is for the Overlords eyes only.

The masquerade is a difficult quest that is heavily slanted in the OL's favor.  If the heroes win First Blood, (which they should) Then they should examine all 5 quests available to them and pick one they can win.  Like Fat Goblin for instance, which in my opinion is slanted in the heroes favor.

I imagine that the masquerade is a quest designed for the OL to pick as a next quest if he wins, and for the Heroes to avoid picking if they are not sure they can handle it.

 

Lastly I would suggest that you, the current OL, pass on some of your talent to your players by being one of them in your next campaign.

I have to imagine that seeing it from both sides will give your group a little of there lost hope back.  And they can see first hand how you would do things in their shoes.



#53 MasterBeastman

MasterBeastman

    Member

  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Mrbob0069 said:

 When we played, the OL got zero zombies off the board.

Wow, what did he have Merick doing for the first two turns then?

I'll admit there is a lot of room for player and Overlord interference when discerning balance. It sounds like my players and your Overlord should hook up and we should play (haha).

I need to play more and see different setups for the hero team but so far the strategy of blocking the halls with a big monster works every time.



#54 Sausageman

Sausageman

    Member

  • Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

Slinthas said:

Also, I don't know how your 'cleric' is adding i grey dice, since cleric is not a class. - Cleric is the Archtype, Spiritspeaker is the class….I work on a game called Rift, where Cleric is the Class, and Spiritspeaker would be the soul, its just a terminology difference, means the same crap. Nitpicking that seems a bit rediculous. As for the ability its called: Stoneskin - it reads When you or a hero within 3 spaces is attacked, before dice are rolled, exhaust this card to add 1 additional grey dice to that hero's defense pool. So yeah thats how the Cleric (and it IS STILL A CLERIC just because it subspecialized in Spiritspeaker) adds an extra grey dice.

I promise I'm not nitpicking further, but this confused the hell out of me  :)  The archetype is Healer, which is then divided into two classes, Spiritspeaker and Disciple.  I keep mistakenly calling Disciple 'Cleric', which I think was why I found this so confusing.  But, for anyone that's reading, this is the correct  (as far as I understand it) terminology



#55 Mrbob0069

Mrbob0069

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

MasterBeastman said:

Mrbob0069 said:

 

 When we played, the OL got zero zombies off the board.

 

 

Wow, what did he have Merick doing for the first two turns then?

I'll admit there is a lot of room for player and Overlord interference when discerning balance. It sounds like my players and your Overlord should hook up and we should play (haha).

I need to play more and see different setups for the hero team but so far the strategy of blocking the halls with a big monster works every time.

 

He blocked the way with something big (I forget what at the time), and the rogue used his learned power to run thruo enemy spaces,

Coupled with female archers heroic feat to give them both a free move, he was in the search room first round.

 

The rest of first round archer , necro, and animate beat on monster blocking way.  Second round, rogue double searched and found key droping the door.

Archer finished off monster, necro moved forword, dismissed animate, (non action) resummoned animate, and lastly activated animate to kill zombie.

After that we jus made sure to kill every zombie he summoned.



#56 ExcelsiorH

ExcelsiorH

    Member

  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

So I got my copy of D2 last night and got a chance to read through all the quests - something our party of heroes didn't have a chance to do before starting the campaign.  Seems like we just picked bad and got 3 quests that were pretty similar in structure, making the playstyle stale, frustrating, and boring.

But looking forward at our interlude (knowing which it will be) and the Act 2 quests available to us - I'm very excited.  I like that there's a lot more variety coming up, so I think we'll see a change of tactics too.



#57 Losman2001

Losman2001

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

 So I tried a fat goblin, 1st encounter the way the OP described including monster groups and didn't have a problem as the heroes. Punched a hole, ran up with my scout and next turn the heroes who cleared a hole caught up while my scout got some kills on the objective runners.  I believe the clogging hallway strat, while good, isn't the overpowered strat it was made to be.



#58 rustedghost

rustedghost

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

 Played as overlord for Castle Daerion.

won the first mission, 2nd mission won on round 2. killed the guy with 1 hero in the room. Jain Fairwood  used her Heroic Feat to get alot of move.

 

OL is easy. way too easy, everyone hates me now



#59 SnowcatAssassin

SnowcatAssassin

    Member

  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

 Castle Daerion does seem a bit ridiculous. The Ettin can start pretty much right in range of the target and just pound the heck out of him. I won on I think round 3 or 4 as the OL, and while the players got awfully close to killing the one Ettin, Alric was still around and he was close enough to finish off the target


I think we got this...


#60 dadiXtrema

dadiXtrema

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

 Referring to encounter 1 of the Fat Goblin quest:

Although I know this is probably really "mean" of me as an OL… in one of our game sessions I completely blocked the beginning pathway with Barghests for a really long time (bad luck/bad strategy on the heroes part… take your pick). Essentially, I was able to take all 4 of the red tokens to the exit. After allowing 3 to exit, I kept the last one on the map right at the exit, forcing the hero players to fight their way all the way across the map to kill the goblin that was holding the objective token, all the while fighting through the endless hordes of monsters that spawn at the BEGINNING of the OL's turn at the entrance and exit that can be activated on the same turn… Since the victory conditions are: "Once all the red tokens are stolen or stored", keeping one on the map kept the map going indefinitely…

Long story short: The heroes were eventually able to place the red token on the farm tile but by this point, I had all 15 of my OL cards drawn and had severely damaged each hero. Needless to say, encounter 2 was a breeze… Has anyone done this before? >:) To be fair… the heroes had quite an epic battle to get to the exit tile, kill the goblin, and come all the way back lol! So in that way… it was pretty fun!

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS