Earth in 40k?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Raiu

Raiu

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

If so then as soon as it gets hooked up, the Tech Priests of Mars will discover the gift that is p0rn.

She-Who-Thirsts is pleased.

#22 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Cornwallis said:

you think the internet exists in the imperium? if so I'm sure it'd be limited to each planet, ship, station etc. but on the other hand it seems like it could be labeled tech heresy. or even standard heresy if there was ever just one heretical post. Could even be lost archaeotech, destroyed after Mars was corrupted via thousand viruses.

Two comments, mate.

First, if you consider Black Library novels canon, then the mechanicus do have this technology, or at least they did…  Graham McNeill's Mechanicum features a device called a noosphere.  It is remarkably internet-like, and tech priests can interface with it directly to access all kinds of interesting data.  Of course, Mechanicum is set on Mars during the Heresy, and the noosphere gets well and truly trashed along with many, many other things.

Second, are you familiar with the Eyes of Wrath in Deathwatch?  Long story short, it's a surveillance network established by the paranoid Commander Ebongrave to root out Tau sympathizers.  It has many pict recorders and other surveillance devices all feeding into a central headquarters, and the net is interstellar in scope, covering multiple star systems.  The central HQ has a legion of telepathic servitors to maintain the necessary data connections over interstellar distances.  Of course, I'm now having visions of a daemon, particularly one of Tzeentch's, possessing a servitor and making a few small, subtle alterations to the data…

Cheers,

- V.

#23 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:45 AM

Well first of all i think its important to note that the Emperor was definitely around and active on Terra during M3, in fact he had been active from 8,000 BC to M25, when he became a public figure as a warlord during the age of strife. This means he spent 33k years preparing himself for what was to come. You can assume that if you were to encounter him in M3 he would be terrifically powerful still

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#24 Citizen Philip

Citizen Philip

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

As stated, a Rogue Trader beyond the Imperium who found an equivalent to our contemporary earth, could do as they pleased.  Our earth is clearly post-atomic but not capable of more than elementary space travel - which to a Rogue Trader would mean, it is quite capable of ruining many profitable endeavours almost instantly but blowing itself up.

The value of the world, without having detailed information, is its relatively clean environment that can sustain its large population, and its population itself - making it useful as an agricultural world and a potential source of human labour/workforce/military.  The technology is effective, but primitive - but for its easy and most valuable resources it does't need to be changed.

A charismatic and pragmatic Rogue Trader could focus his diplomatic efforts on empowering the United Nations.  Missions for the Imperial Creed would also be sewn, but there is no real need to force compliance quickly beyond the Imperium.  

To turn a quick profit  you could levy large numbers of volunteer "space soliders" and then bring them back to the Imperium.  Likewise, you could start developing your private army of soldiers (since the vehicles aren't worth it) via your empowered UN in quick order.

All in all, if you could keep its location secret it would be very valuable for foodstuffs and people.  The nuclear weapons and most planetary nations could be controlled through your UN agency.  Considering the amount of people here, you could export huge amounts of infantry as a tithe at almost no effort on a regular basis.

On a personal, if I were the RT note:  I would start work on creating an official bastion for myself, which would be the new UN headquarters and training facility for my new soldiers,  and the planetary spaceport.  To shift the balance of political power I would start it "in the cradle of civilization" in Africa: mostly because it's a good excuse to be some place warm, and with the least amount of hassle from other governments.  Only my grand palace and select facilities would demonstrate the "true" power I have (ie. really big, spires - start of a Hive).

For purposes of propaganda, and to dis-empower other nations peacefully - I would paint a perfectly accurate description of a Galaxy at War - and have a nice little zoo and museum filled with footage of horrible monsters and a zoo of scary monsters.  Teach them to fear the psyker - to help empower the Creed and its eventual global dominance.  I'm reasonably confident you could get the Pope on your side very quickly.

I'd give you +5 Profit Factor, for the food and troops, mostly a diplomatic effort with creed.

#25 ShadowRay

ShadowRay

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:14 AM

I wonder what would be done about our view on technology. Most of what we know is an instant tech-heresy, because anyone who knows anythig about how computer works, knows there are no machine spirits (just nasty gremlins :)
Quite a lot of knowledge would have to became limited and the internet would meet with a purge on a big scale.

#26 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Rogue trader discovering us… Interresting … for him, the worst for us.

First of all the Rogue trader will be so happy a whole planet to sell to the imperium and a new title to him to bear, contract to be made and lot of money coming right in the pocket..

Second What a paradise world those retards down stair are quite boring steriliezed them, make them work to built palace and great domains then cut the land in kingdom and rent it to noble or high ranking member of church or administratum;

Third, that could become a really nice new home for my dinasty, just hope for us that the rogue trader is a kind ruler.

Fourth, investigfating on the world, reclaim intelligence about the planet, goverment, military asset and poxer and just let the IG come after selling all the infos to the administratum, and only because our world wouldn't be that interrresting for this rogue trader.

#27 Cornwallis

Cornwallis

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

How bout this: How do you think our governments would react to a Rogue Trader showing up? How much resistance would we put up to things such as a planetary ruler, an all encompassing religion, not being allowed to know how our technology works, even though we already developed it ourselves, etc?

#28 Emperor Castaigne

Emperor Castaigne

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

The first thing I thought of was that Earth currencies would almost be completely useless for a Rogue Trader. The same adamantium ingots that could be used to buy a Sollex Pattern-IX "Death Light" Lasgun in Hive Magnagorks on Fenksworld could also be used to buy voidsuits on Footfall, or as stakes for gambling on Port Wander, or to buy Carapace armour from the forge world Lathe-Hesh.

On the other hand, the words "this note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" only apply to a single world, and not even everywhere on that world. No Rogue Trader worthy of the name would accept some worthless pieces of linen/cotton as payment when he could demand precious metals like gold or silver.

As far as how first contact would go, it depends a lot on the Rogue Trader's personal inclination and ship. A Rogue Trader with a Carrack-class transport might be content with filling his holds with goods that would be thought of as exotic and valuable in Imperium space and dropping of some missionaries, while a Trader Militant with an Overlord-class Battlecruiser equipped with Bombardment Cannons, bays filled with Attack Craft, and barracks filled with regiments of loyal soldiers, might not settle for something short of total obedience.

Another thing worth considering is that a Rogue Trader would be very unlikely to accept the authority of Earth governments. Not just because Rogue Traders are used to being the most important people in the room, but because many Rogue Trader would wear clothes older than most Earth governments. "My ancestors were traveling the stars before yours discovered the wheel. Who are you to make demands from me?"

Finally, the Imperium is not a big fan of democracy. Sure, they might be fine with different systems of rule as long as Psykers are culled and the tithe is paid, but with the memory of the recent Fourth Quadrant rebellion (around 775.M41 to 780.M41), where a quarter of Segmentum Solar turned against the Imperium in favour of their own elected officials, tolerance will be in short supply.

#29 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

I second it would be considered a Developing World… look at the images of 'Developing World' in the books that mention them; they are ~20th century tech…

#30 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

The endgame of my first Rogue Trader campaign had a similar situation. The party followed their Arch-Magos ally to a previously unknown world within the Hecaton Rifts, a colony of a branch of humanity that had kept and improved upon Dark Age technology. They're a bit slower, and the Arch-Magos got there first.

I show the players the map of the planet - and it's exactly the same as modern day Earth. Which caused some reaction! The Arch-Magos is bombing the inhabitants systematically, convinced they're going to hand over the STC once he breaks their spirits. They being nation-states. Namely: the Empires of the Romans, Mongols and Chinese, the African Union, a vast corporate state covering much of the Americas descended from the Aztecs and the melting pot nations of Oceania and Babylon.

The natives called the planet Terra Nova and had early to mid twenty-first century levels of technology, though they had begun to reverse engineer bits of Adeptus Mechanicus tech. Hypersonic fighters, non-sentient but powerful AI, some nanomanufacturing. No void shields but excellent anti-ballistic weaponry because every nation is armed to the teeth with excellent ICBMs. Sufficient numbers to threaten a battleship in orbit, which was the reason the Arch-Magos had only wiped out two thirds of the planets cities in a year.

In the end, the party and the Arch-Magos found the STC and wiped out the natives to prevent a future threat to the Imperium.  Far too clever by half and not loyal to the Emperor.

#31 Warmaster Picklehauber

Warmaster Picklehauber

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Decessor said:

The endgame of my first Rogue Trader campaign had a similar situation. The party followed their Arch-Magos ally to a previously unknown world within the Hecaton Rifts, a colony of a branch of humanity that had kept and improved upon Dark Age technology. They're a bit slower, and the Arch-Magos got there first.

I show the players the map of the planet - and it's exactly the same as modern day Earth. Which caused some reaction! The Arch-Magos is bombing the inhabitants systematically, convinced they're going to hand over the STC once he breaks their spirits. They being nation-states. Namely: the Empires of the Romans, Mongols and Chinese, the African Union, a vast corporate state covering much of the Americas descended from the Aztecs and the melting pot nations of Oceania and Babylon.

The natives called the planet Terra Nova and had early to mid twenty-first century levels of technology, though they had begun to reverse engineer bits of Adeptus Mechanicus tech. Hypersonic fighters, non-sentient but powerful AI, some nanomanufacturing. No void shields but excellent anti-ballistic weaponry because every nation is armed to the teeth with excellent ICBMs. Sufficient numbers to threaten a battleship in orbit, which was the reason the Arch-Magos had only wiped out two thirds of the planets cities in a year.

In the end, the party and the Arch-Magos found the STC and wiped out the natives to prevent a future threat to the Imperium.  Far too clever by half and not loyal to the Emperor.

Awesome, it's like my favorite episode of classic Star Trek. I hope you had the explorer party represented on Terra Nova as their peace-loving far-less filthy alter egos; maybe the Lord Captain without his a goatee or ceremonial ghost dagger?

#32 Warmaster Picklehauber

Warmaster Picklehauber

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Cornwallis said:

How bout this: How do you think our governments would react to a Rogue Trader showing up? How much resistance would we put up to things such as a planetary ruler, an all encompassing religion, not being allowed to know how our technology works, even though we already developed it ourselves, etc?

A good orbital bombardment would shut those hairless apes up pretty quick, I think. Who's going to argue with someone who can kill a billion people in an afternoon? Hell, I'd macrocannon New York, London, and Tokyo just to show I mean business before even talking to anyone. I get the impression from WH 40k that fusion reactors are tiny suns encased in metal; the stresses incurred in such a device and its peripherals could easily withstand any terrestrial nuclear detonations, yet alone armor. Maybe there are weapons in secret development that could do more than scratch paint on a void ship?

I think you also overestimate how many of "we" actually understand the technology we use every day. Most Americans, for instance, probably couldn't explain how a internal combustion engine works other than saying something like,  "I put gas in the tank here and it goes to the engine and explodes and that turns some gears or something and moves the tires . . ."

#33 ShadowRay

ShadowRay

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Warmaster Picklehauber said:

I think you also overestimate how many of "we" actually understand the technology we use every day.

Here I strongly agree. Many people don't even know how to send an email if they don't do it step-by-step beginning by opening web browser. Almost like it is a 'send an email ritual' which cannot be interrupted in any place or it has to be repeated from scratch. Any likeness to AdMech?

#34 Warmaster Picklehauber

Warmaster Picklehauber

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

ShadowRay said:

I think you also overestimate how many of "we" actually understand the technology we use every day.

Here I strongly agree. Many people don't even know how to send an email if they don't do it step-by-step beginning by opening web browser. Almost like it is a 'send an email ritual' which cannot be interrupted in any place or it has to be repeated from scratch. Any likeness to AdMech?

Yep. I have helped put together a couple of desktop computers, from components, and this still hasn't helped me understand how they work at all. I certainly couldn't build one from scratch, even with access to a Lathe World manufactorum. I just don't have the knowledge. Also, I'm sure not a lot of people can explain how the internet works either; other than a facile comparison it to the telephone (how do those work?) or something like that.

Certainly, in the Western World we use all sorts of technology in which we are only passingly familiar with even the basic elements, but don't fully understand at all. The only people I know who can really explain this sort of stuff are engineers and they aren't exactly a majority of the American population. Furthermore, they receive far more education than most. A lot of this information is freely available too; via internet or at a library. People are hardly going in droves to the local branch to find out how a internal combustion engine works, how to build a processing chip or even how to wire a house for electricity. I would say that even with all this freedom people are not concerned with how things work and merely that they do. Now couple that with a culture where it is considered unneccessary for all but a tiny minority (those with the opportunity to receive engineering-based college degree) to know this information and most of us only have a rudimentary understanding of what they are able to do. That's a pretty technologically ignorant culture. For some I know, saying computers are just magic or active "machine spirits" would hardly be  a step down from their level of understanding.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately because I am converting the sidewalk in front of my home to a brick pathway. Undertaking this project has made me realize just how ignorant I am of civil engineering and similar technology. Brick roads have been around for over 2000 years.

#35 Objulen

Objulen

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Given that the Emperor has been around since prehistory, it's very likely that the incursion would warrent his direct intervention and at that point you'd basically end up doing whatever he told you or get pulped. 

But hey, he had to get the Void Dragon to Mars somehow. Who's up for fighting a C'tan?

#36 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

Cornwallis said:

A good orbital bombardment would shut those hairless apes up pretty quick, I think. Who's going to argue with someone who can kill a billion people in an afternoon? Hell, I'd macrocannon New York, London, and Tokyo just to show I mean business before even talking to anyone. I get the impression from WH 40k that fusion reactors are tiny suns encased in metal; the stresses incurred in such a device and its peripherals could easily withstand any terrestrial nuclear detonations, yet alone armor. Maybe there are weapons in secret development that could do more than scratch paint on a void ship?

I think you also overestimate how many of "we" actually understand the technology we use every day. Most Americans, for instance, probably couldn't explain how a internal combustion engine works other than saying something like,  "I put gas in the tank here and it goes to the engine and explodes and that turns some gears or something and moves the tires . . ."

Actually from the description of 'Atomics' under ship upgrades, i'd wager that 20th century Earth 'nukes' are comparable to Poor or Common Craftsmanship Atomics. Good or Best being the realms of superior Martian engineering.

The shielding and plating on the inside of a reactor is superior to that of the hull most starships in 40k, but then space is a vacum with 0 Atmospheres of pressure and on average a temperature of outer space is -270 degrees celsius (metric, as the RP uses metric and faranheit is a stupid system anyway!).  
Of course that is entirely neutral conditions. Getting some solar radiation from a star? Well most of it will be absorbed by the ships shielding, or else everyone on board would be killed.

Now plasma fusion reactors are a thing of fiction currently (the science is solid but the practicality has yet to be found) but fusion takes place at roughly 109 K (or 1 billion degrees celsius). You can take this to mean that internal reactor shielding is far superior to ship shielding, but on a far smaller scale. 

#37 Aajz_Solari

Aajz_Solari

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Plynkes said:

Warhammer 1980 just doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but at least you can have Rogue Traders vs. Nazis!

Nazis? In 1980? Sorry?

BTW, in their essence, most of humanity in the 41st millenium is essentially composed of Nazis (with respect to their mind set, albeit on a larger scale), and the Space Marines are among the worst of them, really.

#38 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Aajz_Solari said:

BTW, in their essence, most of humanity in the 41st millenium is essentially composed of Nazis (with respect to their mind set, albeit on a larger scale), and the Space Marines are among the worst of them, really.

Entirely depends on the Astartes in question. Some chapters are ridiculously militant (Black Templars, Dark Angels etc) whilst others are rather more gregarious when it comes to their interactions with the Imperium and regular humans (Salamanders, Ultramarines and even Space Wolves to some degree). I'd say the attitude of the Astartes ranges from militant fascism through to limited socialism and brotherhood.

#39 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

I just found this thread lost in the dark, and it's awesome.
I was thinking of it the other day. hehe

In fact, I think Earth would  only pose a threat to an RT depending on one very simple thing: turret rating and interceptors available.

Think of the THOUSANDS of (very slow moving in War 40k terms) ECBMs targeting that alien ship in orbit conducting orbital bombardment on NY, Moscow, Beijing, Tokyo simply because they think we are heathens that need to be put back into our places.

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#40 Quietus1

Quietus1

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, it would come down to if the ship can shoot down or move out of the way of the gods know how many nukes that would be coming their way if they shot at us/tried to force compliance. Like an earlier poster said (paraphrased) "Holy Nuclear Macrobatteries! These heathens be crazy!"

In the end, I don't think we'd be a profitable venture. We'd turn our own planet into a nuclear wasteland ourselves first :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS