• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'm hoping for details on a variety of Forge Worlds, not just the Lathes. I have a very hard time making 'Forge World A' seem different and distinct from 'Forge World B'…

Also, since my players are closing in on Ascention level, more high-level options/challenges- in this and any other upcoming DH supplements- would be appreciated.

#22 Jeff Tibbetts

Jeff Tibbetts

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Adeptus-B said:

I'm hoping for details on a variety of Forge Worlds, not just the Lathes. I have a very hard time making 'Forge World A' seem different and distinct from 'Forge World B'…

I agree 100%! I love what Lightbringer was talking about with Belacane. That's character. The best I could ever do was-and I know this sounds simple but it worked-make sure they have sort of unusual but uniform names. In my case I pick a language like Finnish and look up common names. I think it helps them associate a group of people with a specific place. 

#23 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

Regarding Belacane, I noticed the following passage in the description:  "The Forge World is the base for the Lightbringers, a small Titan Legion consisting of five Warhounds and a pair of Reaver Titans. It also operates a large contingent of cybernetic Skitari tech-guard."  (emphasis mine)

Looks like somebody earned himself a wee shout-out.  Congratulations.

Speaking of odd Forge Worlds, my Rogue Trader players once visited Percipre.  They had an utterly heretekal AI cogitator core to sell, and thought they could find a buyer on a Forge World.  Planetary briefing, the short version:  this particular Forge World is run by the Magos Biologis.  The terraforming engines have failed, so the surface conditions are now a frozen hell.  But, the planet's surface is covered with city sized greenhouses, stocked with exotic flora from all over the galaxy.  Since many of these flora are from death worlds, and aggressive use of herbicides over the millennia has turned natural selection up to 11, the plant life is… assertive.  Many of the greenhouses are now completely out of the magos' control.  The remaining productive greenhouses grow food by the megatonne as well as all manner of pharmaceuticals.  (It's quite rare, but this is one Forge World that actually exports food.)  If you want more info, well, there's always Lexicanum:

http://wh40k.lexican...m/wiki/Percipre 

[For some reason, the Black Industries Guide to the Calixis Sector names this world as Prandium.  No, I've no clue why the name changed, but the description is identical.]

Oh, and as for my players, a good session of roleplaying ensued.  They managed to avoid being rendered down into servitors, and in fact made a tidy profit.  You see, the Lathes really look down on Percipre due to it's excessive fondness for biology, and that's enough to breed a disaffected cadre of tech-priests who don't like being marginalized, and the players already had made a contact…    So, they ended up leaving after acquiring a few very personal modifications to the Rogue Trader and his command staff, and Percipre now has a many millennia old A.I. jacked into a 'small' portion of the planetary datanet 'helping' to 'optimize' the harvesting and processing…  Gee, I can't imagine any way that scenario could go ploin-shaped.   

Cheers,

- V.

#24 blackwell

blackwell

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

I'd like to read in greater detail about the influence that the phaenonite inquisitorial faction have had on the forge world of Idumea and the branch of the machine cult known as the Empyric Engineers. Apart from that I wouldn't be adverse if they included a named personality from the Logicians as part of the Mechanicus's Most Wanted.

#25 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

blackwell said:

I'd like to read in greater detail about the influence that the phaenonite inquisitorial faction have had on the forge world of Idumea and the branch of the machine cult known as the Empyric Engineers. Apart from that I wouldn't be adverse if they included a named personality from the Logicians as part of the Mechanicus's Most Wanted.

Seconded!  And since the forum software doesn't like one word replies, let me add that I'd like to see more on the Tech-Witches of Ammicus Tole, or the False Men of Nomen Ryne.  So many hereteks, so little time…

Cheers,

- V.

#26 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Vandegraffe said:

Regarding Belacane, I noticed the following passage in the description:  "The Forge World is the base for the Lightbringers, a small Titan Legion consisting of five Warhounds and a pair of Reaver Titans. It also operates a large contingent of cybernetic Skitari tech-guard."  (emphasis mine)

Looks like somebody earned himself a wee shout-out.  Congratulations.

Er…yeah…I'd forgotten about that!  In hindsight, that was a bit cheeky of me. Although in my defence, I THINK I wrote that before I came up with a forum login name!

As for Percipre, that was actually another fanmade world. Not one of mine! I think it's a brilliant concept - an Admech agri-world. A very creepy Admech agri-world. So I guess the Lathe Worlds book could cover that too? It would be good to see more of it.

#27 blackwell

blackwell

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Vandegraffe said:

blackwell said:

Seconded!  And since the forum software doesn't like one word replies, let me add that I'd like to see more on the Tech-Witches of Ammicus Tole, or the False Men of Nomen Ryne.  So many hereteks, so little time…

Cheers,

- V.

Don't forget about those other two hereteks whose creations are in the Creatures Anathema book; Sar Resque, the magos biologis responsible for the sinner's plagues of the Drusus Marches, and illucis grivaldi, the creator of the obliviate volitor either.

Finally I hope that it won't take too long getting here once I place my order for it tomorrow considering that i'm still waiting for my copy of the Koronus Bestiary to arrive.

#28 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

I don't get to do this very often, but here's a new update. Enjoy! 

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#29 Regis Eisen

Regis Eisen

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Have I read that right, that it is out next week?

#30 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

H.B.M.C. said:

I don't get to do this very often, but here's a new update. Enjoy! 

BYE

I like it!!

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#31 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Lightbringer said:

As for Percipre, that was actually another fanmade world. Not one of mine! I think it's a brilliant concept - an Admech agri-world. A very creepy Admech agri-world. So I guess the Lathe Worlds book could cover that too? It would be good to see more of it.

Why do you think I shamelessly borrowed it for my campaign?  Percipre is a great concept, and the players had a lot of fun with it… it's a very distinctive Forge World.

As for The Lathe Worlds, am I reading this right?  It's out next week?  If so, I suspect I know where a chunk of me next paycheque is going…

Cheers,

- V.

#32 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

So HBMC had a hand in this, eh no comment…  Must say though I like the sound of the Crimson Guard though, AdMech Storm Troopers sound like an appropriately intriguing option.

But yeah, as others have said, we could use a book (or another) to try and bridge the gap between different power levels.  Maybe a follow-up book for Explorator and Magos level characters?  Options for running Rogue Trader campaign with an Explorator ship and crew?  Though sounds like I need to look up Percipre now…

#33 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Lightbringer said:

Back in the day, Black Industries opened up the Calixis Sector for fans to write in with suggestions for individual worlds.

That was probably one of the coolest things I liked about DH during BI's brief control of the product. I never made anything myself, but when I first discovered it I loved going through everything that people had written about the planets and reading it for inspiration.

Might go looking for some of that right now. Are most of them up on the Wiki now?

#34 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Blood Pact said:

Lightbringer said:

Back in the day, Black Industries opened up the Calixis Sector for fans to write in with suggestions for individual worlds.

That was probably one of the coolest things I liked about DH during BI's brief control of the product. I never made anything myself, but when I first discovered it I loved going through everything that people had written about the planets and reading it for inspiration.

Might go looking for some of that right now. Are most of them up on the Wiki now?

They're certainly around on the internet. Lexicanum seems to have most of them, though they jumble up aspects of Reth & Percipre on the same entry. This website contains a lot of the collated data. Don't quote me definitively on this, but the fan made ones that BI approved are, as near as I can tell, Belacane, Hilarion, Karrick (I think), Percipre, Reth, and Siculi. I wrote Reth and Belacane, but I think Percipre is by far the best fan made entry.

I agree with you, the fan interaction with writing up worlds was a massive draw for me, too. It's a shame that the project died a bit of a death.

FFG have followed a different approach, with sector maps that are far more "open," and a tendency to add new, previously unmentioned worlds to the Calixis Sector map. With regions like the Koronus Expanse and the Jericho Reach, this approach makes sense, as they are, to a degree, unexplored and maps are subject to revision.

However, I do miss the inclusiveness of the old approach. I think the Calixis Sector has a lot of potential for expansion, and I would love to see more background material for its various worlds, whether fan written or not.

Many people have suggested that the perfect way to do a "Sector" background is to have a mix of FFG-made and fan-made worlds in the same Sector. FFG identify certain worlds which will always be "theirs," certain worlds which will always be "untouched," (ie ones which won't be developed, so GMs can always have them as "their" worlds) and open up the rest for competitive fan entries edited by FFG staff. In this way you have the best of all approaches - you draw the fans in, you leave room for FFG to expand their setting, and you keep GMs happy.

I don't know how things are currently going with the Anargo Sector Project, a massive fan effort at constructing an entire Imperial Sector, but if you like this worldbuilding stuff, that might be worth a look, too.

#35 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

The book's out!!!

Can't wait for my copy to arrive. Now we get to finally see the artwork!

Lightbringer said:

I agree with you, the fan interaction with writing up worlds was a massive draw for me, too. It's a shame that the project died a bit of a death.

Just speculating here, but that might have dropped off because of the whole transition from BI to FFG. I’ve seen some of the worlds that were created for it. They were quite good.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#36 mosern

mosern

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

The book's out!!!

Can't wait for my copy to arrive. Now we get to finally see the artwork!

Great news!

Is there a pdf version I can buy somewhere?

#37 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Well there likely will be, but not for a few weeks. I'm not sure how PDF releases are organised (sometimes they happen quickly, sometimes they take months). Maybe it's based on how quickly a print run sells.

In any case, a PDF should show up eventually.

BYE

#38 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

Just speculating here, but that might have dropped off because of the whole transition from BI to FFG.

Yeah, that makes sense. Pity. It would be nice to see that whole project resurrected in one form or another…

#39 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

So, who has it already?

Can we get some basic summary of its contents? I would especialy like to know what are the new backround packages, origins, alternate career ranks, cell directives and elite advances alongside with short summary of each, please, please, please.

*returns to hypnotise thebookdepository* 

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#40 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:09 AM

My copy is on its way (hopefully it'll arrive by the end of next week, Thursday if I'm really lucky!). It is out though, so I can talk about the contents. I can't go into a lot of depth, but I can give some basic information though.

Some people in this thread were hoping for some "Rank 1" alternate careers, in other words alternate careers you take right at the start of the campaign that alter your character. The Crimson Guard (Venatorii) and Lathesmasters (think non-Servitor Forge World work-force) are those sorts of careers. There's the Mech-Assassin, which you've already seen in the preview, plus the Cult of the Pure Form guys from the preview I wrote (these guys were fun - psychotic anti-cybernetic cultists). Malatek, which is basically an expelled Tech-Priest (not a Heretek). Factor of the Lathes, which are Mechanicus diplomats. And finally the Agents of the Lords Dragon. As we know the Ad Mech doesn't like outsiders poking around in their business, especially the Inquisition. But they have their own Inquisition - the Lords Dragon. There's a decent amount about them in this book (and the Panopticon Orbital). There's more than what I've said here, but I'll leave that for you guys to discover yourselves.

The armoury is full of all sorts of new items, from the Integrated Weapons of the Venatorii, to new Servitors, cybernetics and even some pieces of Archeotech. The other sections cover many different worlds (the three words of the Lathes, Lacuna, Opus Macharius, Ryboth and so on) and the history of the Lathes, an overview of some of the many factions. Plus loads of NPCs and adversaries. And the adventure sees the players going into the heart of the Lathes to stop an experiment gone wild!

Plus loads and loads of new Ad Mech artwork that I am just dying to see. Did you see the Crimson Guard artwork? How awesome was that!!!

BYE

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS