Jump to content



Photo

Where's the Xenos?


  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

    Member

  • Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

That's the point. An Ethereal can literally command another Tau to kill themself, and their order will be obeyed without hesitation.

That sort of thing doesn't work too well in the hands of players, also Ethereals don't really have to autonomy to go running around doing that sort of thing (remember they have their own hierarchy) and they're just not going to be allowed to run around the cluster with a handful of companions who aren't even all bodyguards.

There's also that Air Caste can't live in normal gravity, due to their fragile bones.

And I have a hard time seeing how any of the Acolyte options (the default ones) are a stretch.



#22 Braddoc

Braddoc

    Member

  • Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

Every 40k RPg is xeno-centric; you get to kill some in every book!  some are even the star of the book (Deathwatch)

 

 


My 40k Campaigns page

http://Dark-heresy.wikispaces.com


#23 Face Eater

Face Eater

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

Blood Pact said:

That's the point. An Ethereal can literally command another Tau to kill themself, and their order will be obeyed without hesitation.

That sort of thing doesn't work too well in the hands of players, also Ethereals don't really have to autonomy to go running around doing that sort of thing (remember they have their own hierarchy) and they're just not going to be allowed to run around the cluster with a handful of companions who aren't even all bodyguards.

There's also that Air Caste can't live in normal gravity, due to their fragile bones.

And I have a hard time seeing how any of the Acolyte options (the default ones) are a stretch.

That's one step away from an Inquisitor who, if you won't follow their order to off yourself then the rest of player characters would be more than happy to do it. Technically Rogue Traders crew and the guardsmen following a commisar. One character holding life or death over another is pretty old hat.

Air Caste wouldn't be required to live in gravity just exist in it for the duration of a mission, presumably wearing the kind of reinforced suits they'd wear they were flying craft in atmospheric flight, if they are required at all.



#24 Alpha Chaos 13

Alpha Chaos 13

    Member

  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Face Eater said:

Blood Pact said:

 

That's the point. An Ethereal can literally command another Tau to kill themself, and their order will be obeyed without hesitation.

That sort of thing doesn't work too well in the hands of players, also Ethereals don't really have to autonomy to go running around doing that sort of thing (remember they have their own hierarchy) and they're just not going to be allowed to run around the cluster with a handful of companions who aren't even all bodyguards.

There's also that Air Caste can't live in normal gravity, due to their fragile bones.

And I have a hard time seeing how any of the Acolyte options (the default ones) are a stretch.

 

 

That's one step away from an Inquisitor who, if you won't follow their order to off yourself then the rest of player characters would be more than happy to do it. Technically Rogue Traders crew and the guardsmen following a commisar. One character holding life or death over another is pretty old hat.

Air Caste wouldn't be required to live in gravity just exist in it for the duration of a mission, presumably wearing the kind of reinforced suits they'd wear they were flying craft in atmospheric flight, if they are required at all.

I was thinking of the Ethereal being more of a mission dispatch guy rather than a PC, but the Inquisitor comparison works too.

With regard to the Air Caste, worst case is that they aren't a PC option. That still leaves the other castes, as well as any other species that serve the Greater Good (who aren't mind-slaved to the Ethereals). This includes, but is not limited to, Kroot, Vespid Strain Leader, and Human. They could even have rules to create your own race, along the lines of the DH xenos generator & DW Chapter creation rules. Why not?

And I never said the default Acolyte classes were a stretch.



#25 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

    Member

  • Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

I'm not an advid player of Tau, but I've tried to keep up with their society, and I've never came across where it explicitly states that Air Caste cannot go into normal gravity.  I know it states they have hallow bones, and normally stay at low to zero gravity, but I have never read any where that they cannot live on normal gravity.  I mean, heck, they once lived on their home planet, that had normal gravity.  I even faintly recall seeing Tau Air Caste in artwork, with other Tau caste members on a planet, and they didn't have any exo-skeleton devices either, all they wore was something that looked like a void suit.  Well, now that I searched for it it could be a exo-skeloton, but it more or less looks like light armour to me.  Anyhoot, I would still like to know where the information is that Air Caste members can no longer travel on normal gravity worlds.

On a side note, playing an Ethereal would be a big no IMO.  The rules aren't explained for their "natural abilities" of convincing others to join the Greater Good, not to mention none have ever been captured alive yet.  Having a PC play one would most assuredly end up with them sooner or later doing something wacky to get themselves captured and "studied."  I created Tau characters for DH and RT on my links below.  Feel free to browse and use what you like.


For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."


#26 Ferrous82

Ferrous82

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:56 AM

I gotta go with Nameless2All on this one.

 

The Tau have some of the most advanced tech known. Air Caste would have ZERO problem in normal gravity given a special suit. Lets not forget the battlesuits that Tau have. The idea that the castes cannot cooperate with each other is ridiculous. They do so on a regular basis. If they didn't, they couldn't pose such a threat to all the other races in 40k. Having an Air Caste in a light armoured suit that protects them from gravity and handing them a pistol is no different than running any other tech or knowledge savvy archetype. Water castes would be fellowship based. Fire Caste would be ballistic skill based. You would have inducted species fill other roles as well. Inducted options also allow imports from the other books. The mere idea of running around with my Greater Good group inducting other planets through negotiation or violence alone makes me want to play this game.



#27 macd21

macd21

    Member

  • Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

Just a question for folks who might be more familiar with the TT than myself - when was the last Eldar codex released?



#28 Gaire

Gaire

    Member

  • Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

 Eldar are more likely than Tau. The Tau have no psykers, and you know how FFG loves their Phenomena tables.



#29 Face Eater

Face Eater

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Gaire said:

 Eldar are more likely than Tau. The Tau have no psykers, and you know how FFG loves their Phenomena tables.

True dat. but for the Tau FFG's own Greater Good Xeno could be a psychic of some type (but it would have to be a pretty cleaverly done).



#30 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Gaire said:

 Eldar are more likely than Tau. The Tau have no psykers, and you know how FFG loves their Phenomena tables.

Someone mentioned a race called Nicassar which are appearently a psychic race that is allied with the Tau.[1]
 



#31 Plushy

Plushy

    Member

  • Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Musclewizard said:

Gaire said:

 

 Eldar are more likely than Tau. The Tau have no psykers, and you know how FFG loves their Phenomena tables.

 

 

Someone mentioned a race called Nicassar which are appearently a psychic race that is allied with the Tau.[1]
 

 

They're a little under-fluffed. They have psychic ability, and use it to power ships called Dhows. They are capable of Wapr travel and natural explorers, with a love of finding new places. It is said that they hibernate during long voyages, rotating the awake staff for those at rest. The Tau have kept them a secret from the Imperium, because they know that they would hate witch-xenos more than just one or the other. Fanart depicts them as looking like mind flayers.

 

I would love to have them be the group psyker, but then again I also like Tarellains… so perhaps I cannot be trusted.


My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!


#32 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Plushy said:

Fanart depicts them as looking like mind flayers.

A blue human with hoofs, a birdman and a mind flayer walk into a bar.

Seriously though, I like the idea of having a Tau game more and more, I never knew the Tau had that many allies, all I relly knew about were Kroot, Vespides and human auxilaries but appearently there's quite a bit more.

Here's the list from Lexicanum for those that don't know about them:

 

  • Demiurg
  • Galgs - Employing mercenaries
  • Gue'vesa - Human Auxiliaries
  • Hrenian - Employing Light Infantry
  • Ji'atrix - Voidfarers
  • Kroot - Employing Carnivores lead by Shapers
  • Mal'kor - Vespid Auxiliaries - Employing Stingwings lead by Strain-Leaders
  • Morralian - Employing Deathsworn
  • Nicassar - Voidfarers
  • Tarellian - Employing Dog Soldiers mercenaries

 



#33 Plushy

Plushy

    Member

  • Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

 It would certainly allow for fun parties. Some guardsman are tromping about in their squad, on patrol. Your Fire Warrior launches a Photon Flash 'nade from his grenade launcher and blinds all of them, giving the Kroot Carnivore enough time to jump from cover and rip into them. The Tarellian Dog-Soldier spins up his looted heavy stubber while the Fire Warrior takes his pulse pot-shots. With his last breaths, a vox-operator calls for support. The tank comes roaring to their rescue, but is painted with a markerlight and takes a Seeker Missile not long after.

 

I'd play it, though both Dark Eldar and Craftworlders hold more appeal to me.


My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!


#34 macd21

macd21

    Member

  • Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Plushy said:

They're a little under-fluffed. They have psychic ability, and use it to power ships called Dhows. They are capable of Wapr travel and natural explorers, with a love of finding new places.

Is this new fluff? My understanding was that they weren't capable of warp travel, which is why they spend so much time in hibernation on their ships - they have to travel at sub-light speeds from system to system. The Tau therefore tow their ships (and this was one of the main reasons the nicassar agreed to ally with them - it gave them FTL capability).



#35 Plushy

Plushy

    Member

  • Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

macd21 said:

Plushy said:

 

They're a little under-fluffed. They have psychic ability, and use it to power ships called Dhows. They are capable of Wapr travel and natural explorers, with a love of finding new places.

 

Is this new fluff? My understanding was that they weren't capable of warp travel, which is why they spend so much time in hibernation on their ships - they have to travel at sub-light speeds from system to system. The Tau therefore tow their ships (and this was one of the main reasons the nicassar agreed to ally with them - it gave them FTL capability).

Whoops, you're right.


My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!


#36 lostguardguy

lostguardguy

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

 If they did tau they could probly get away with Tau, Human, Kroot, and all the other allies I am not going to name as well as Orks (They will do any thing for loud guns and a good fight), and maybe a rogue Eldar but to some extent I am speeking from my postearior. So I am not completely shore. Sorry for any mis-speld words I am doing this on a PS3.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS