• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Unclechawie

Unclechawie

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

any2cards said:

I appreciate the time you are taking to provide information both about the actual game, as well as what was discussed at Realms.  I must admit that I can at least appreciate the point of view of wanting to actually see the cards you purchased come into play at some point.  I can't tell you the number of times I speant treachery in D1 to swap out base level cards, only to get an unfortunate shuffle that put a majority of the cards at the end of the deck.

Having said that, you still will have to play a quest/encounter or perhaps two within a campaign where you don't yet get to buy any cards.  For those quests/encounters, I will know exactly all 15 cards in the deck, and can play accordingly as cards come out.

I guess I just wished that the number of cards provided was say 30 or 45, and from that the OL draws/deals 15 cards for his base deck.  At least that way, you wouldn't know what was within the deck.

One of the reasons why that I really hope as they move forward, expansions are released that include additional base deck cards as well as additional campaigns, quests, and encounters.

I guess this leads me to an additional question.  Suppose I choose to never play in campaign mode (won't happen, but just suppose), but just decide to play individual quests/encounters (perhaps because I am always playing with different people - no continuity, no reason for a campaign).  It is my understanding that in this situation all you ever will play with, as the OL, is the base deck.  In that case, you run into the same problem I have been discussing.  Can you confirm this?

I suppose I could always make some kind of homebrew rule, but … just curious.

Not quite,  the game rules allow you to choose a method of play.  If you opt not to play the campaign, you get to choose a level to play at.   Each player would then be able to build his hero/OL with the gold and XP branted them by that specific level and then play the campaign.  This lets you vary the play experience and not have to worry about playing only with the same 15 cards each time.

#22 LinkN

LinkN

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Unclechawie said:

any2cards said:

I appreciate the time you are taking to provide information both about the actual game, as well as what was discussed at Realms.  I must admit that I can at least appreciate the point of view of wanting to actually see the cards you purchased come into play at some point.  I can't tell you the number of times I speant treachery in D1 to swap out base level cards, only to get an unfortunate shuffle that put a majority of the cards at the end of the deck.

Having said that, you still will have to play a quest/encounter or perhaps two within a campaign where you don't yet get to buy any cards.  For those quests/encounters, I will know exactly all 15 cards in the deck, and can play accordingly as cards come out.

I guess I just wished that the number of cards provided was say 30 or 45, and from that the OL draws/deals 15 cards for his base deck.  At least that way, you wouldn't know what was within the deck.

One of the reasons why that I really hope as they move forward, expansions are released that include additional base deck cards as well as additional campaigns, quests, and encounters.

I guess this leads me to an additional question.  Suppose I choose to never play in campaign mode (won't happen, but just suppose), but just decide to play individual quests/encounters (perhaps because I am always playing with different people - no continuity, no reason for a campaign).  It is my understanding that in this situation all you ever will play with, as the OL, is the base deck.  In that case, you run into the same problem I have been discussing.  Can you confirm this?

I suppose I could always make some kind of homebrew rule, but … just curious.

Not quite,  the game rules allow you to choose a method of play.  If you opt not to play the campaign, you get to choose a level to play at.   Each player would then be able to build his hero/OL with the gold and XP branted them by that specific level and then play the campaign.  This lets you vary the play experience and not have to worry about playing only with the same 15 cards each time.

To expand a bit, you can play at basic, advanced, or epic level.  Basic level is just starting equipment and skills for heroes, and starting deck for overlord.  Advanced gives the heroes 3 exp and 150 gold per hero, plus access to the full act 1 item deck to buy whatever they want (act 1 items mostly range between 75 and 150 gold), and the overlord gets 4 exp.  This lets the heroes get any skill they want, and even multiple skills if they don't pick the top-tier ones, and the overlord can either get any four cards or build up to get a level 2 card.  Epic level gives the heroes 6 exp and 250 gold each, plus access to the act 2 item deck (most items range from 100 to 250), while the overlord gets 8 exp, which is enough to build up to a level 3 card (all of which are devastating - one is an instant kill on a hero if he fails an attribute test, or heavy damage if he passes).  I believe the heroes are supposed to know what cards the overlord buys for the game, but not what's actually in his deck.

Back to the actual deck, I think the problem with having a "customizable" deck like that is it's not easy to balance that many cards against each other, so it would likely boil down to the same 15-card deck, with a few changes based on the quest, or if the base deck is dealt at random, a lot of issues of the game being impossible for one side just because the overlord got a good/bad deck dealt out.  Still, a few more basic cards would probably be welcome.  (I'll also point out that it doesn't feel like any of the basic cards are useless.  Not all of them would be good in all quests, and the purchased cards are certainly better, but I think there won't be any cards that I'll leave in the box for the entire campaign.)

#23 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

LinkN said:

(I'll also point out that it doesn't feel like any of the basic cards are useless.  Not all of them would be good in all quests, and the purchased cards are certainly better, but I think there won't be any cards that I'll leave in the box for the entire campaign.)

Well, that's nice to hear. =)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS