Favorite character?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

Today, the fifth battle has been fought !

It was my Prophetess vs the Elf.

I must say that both characters are very good. My Prophetess became very strong, but the Elf has cast the random spell card on me. I lost all my strength, and later in the game another strength, and one craft because of the rod of ruin.

But i came back with a lot of craft points and won finaly the game !

Luckily, the elf has only gain a talisman until later in the game, after i was already in the inner region.

But they was a chance for the elf, because he beat me in pvp combat, but he choose for the magic crown instead of my only talisman cardHAHA

So here are the statistics

1 Assassin/ Wizard : 2W/ 0 lose

2 Prophetess : 1W/ 0 lose

3 Dwarf/ Elf/ Troll : 0 W/ 1 lose

4 Dark Cultist 0 W/ 2 Lose

------------

PS : I think that the Dwarf don't like this because he is standing next to a Elf !

#22 grim_reaper_zig

grim_reaper_zig

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

My favorite character has to be the knight. he's very strong at the start, and his praying isn't that bad at the temple. he's got the wins over here. And we always let people choose their characters.

#23 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

grim_reaper_zig said:

And we always let people choose their characters.

Ugh, to each his own, but doesn't that lead to the same characters being picked every single game?

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#24 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:32 AM

Velhart said:

Luckily, the elf has only gain a talisman until later in the game, after i was already in the inner region.

But they was a chance for the elf, because he beat me in pvp combat, but he choose for the magic crown instead of my only talisman cardHAHA

If you were already on the CoC then you don't need the Talisman any more so why would he take it ?

#25 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

BanthaFodder said:

Velhart said:

If you were already on the CoC then you don't need the Talisman any more so why would he take it ?

From the way it's worded, I'd say they were not yet at CoC.

#26 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:43 AM

I give my two cents for the statistics. Here's the same table of Dam's, which I find interesting and clear, that depicts my first 5 games with Reaper Expansion.

Notes:

- All 3-Player or 4-Player games; one started as a six-player game but two players left early in the game and their Characters were put in the box and possessions discarded.

- Comprehensive use of Fate rule (FFG Board)

- No house rules applied (i.e. Assassin can assassinate Creatures he's just drawn), except some additional cards added to the deck (only one of 5 games)

These cards are: 8 Bags of Gold, 3 Two Bags of Gold, 1 Raiders, 1 Market Day, 1 Giant, 2 Dragons, 1 Book of Spells

The stats:

Name             #/W/L/D/R
Assassin       1 0 1 0 0
Dark Cultist   0 0 0 0 0
Druid              1 0 1 0 0
Dwarf              3 0 3 0 1
Elf                   0 0 0 0 0
Ghoul             0 0 0 0 0
Knight            0 0 0 0 0
Merchant       2 0 2 0 0
Minstrel         1 1 0 0 0
Monk             0 0 0 0 0
Priest            1 0 1 1 0
Prophetess  0 0 0 0 0
Sage              1 0 1 0 0
Sorceress     2 0 2 0 1
Thief               1 0 1 1 0
Troll                2 2 0 0 0
Warrior          3 1 2 0 0
Wizard           1 1 0 0 0

Comments: Dam plays with the same persons every time; I played with different people almost every time and what the newbies lacked in game knowledge, they made up for luck.

All victories were pretty sound, except the Wizard's that defeated the Druid in an incredible final confrontation. Druid had 11 Strength/15 Craft, no Fate, 4 Lives left; Wizard had 8 Strength/14 Craft, no Fate to Spend, 3 Lives left. Nobody had useful Items such as Armour and Runesword; Wizard won a couple of battles too.

The most dreadful Character so far is the Troll; I'd like to see the Troll against Sorceress, Wizard and Dark Cultist all at once. Dwarf could have won many times, but Luck or bad play toned him down (especially yesterday, a player wasted an easy victory to reach a ridiculous 23 Strength, Objects included, and die before reaching the Crown).

#27 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

Dam said:

BanthaFodder said:

Velhart said:

From the way it's worded, I'd say they were not yet at CoC.

That's right.

The Elf has not reach the inner region and the pvp battle took place in the outer region earlier of the game.

#28 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:18 AM

Ah, my misunderstanding.

Although it raises an interesting question about when to take a Talisman. The Solomon's crown is a pretty useful artifact

and there are many ways to acquire a Talisman. If it was early in a game I would take the crown also. Especially from a spell cycling character

like the prophetess.

Very early on not a problem, but if you have a full 4 objects and no mule etc and way too weak to get to CoC then it is an option worth considering

to ditch it, pref turn to gold.

It also depends on the number of players, 2 players this is an easier descision than 4+

#29 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:50 AM

Now that you are speaking about turning talisman objects in gold,.. I think it was not bad to keep it with me.

What would happen if they are no talisman cards anymore and someone complete the quest of the warlock hahahha

Bad luck for him.

This idea is very nasty hahaha

#30 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:26 AM

The_Warlock said:

The most dreadful Character so far is the Troll; I'd like to see the Troll against Sorceress, Wizard and Dark Cultist all at once. Dwarf could have won many times, but Luck or bad play toned him down (especially yesterday, a player wasted an easy victory to reach a ridiculous 23 Strength, Objects included, and die before reaching the Crown).

Troll dreadful, as in too dominant? He was 2 wins in 2 games if I read that right. As to Dwarf, good do know, was really wondering what the hell was going on there . Also, 23 Strength, that's just wasted time (unless everyone is all about getting 20+ stats).

#31 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:55 AM

Dam said:

Troll dreadful, as in too dominant? He was 2 wins in 2 games if I read that right. As to Dwarf, good do know, was really wondering what the hell was going on there . Also, 23 Strength, that's just wasted time (unless everyone is all about getting 20+ stats).

I should have said terrific, not dreadful, but to me it's dreadful because I've always lost to the Troll. I'm never good with Strength based Characters: give me Troll, Warrior or Assassin and you'll see how many Spirits I can draw in a row. As the Warrior, I came up to the nonsense of having 5 Strength/7 Craft when a much more lucky Minstrel reached the Crown.

The Dwarf first apparition was a late game replacement and he couldn't do anything good. The second Dwarf was played by a newbie that did really good: had a good rush and was first to the Crown with remarkable stats (can't remember exactly), but finally lost to... the Troll of course! Troll had 12 Strength (Dwarf 10) and 7 Lives + St.Josephine. Dwarf fought hard and brought the Troll to 2 Lives (Josephine included!), then his Armour betrayed him an he lost. He definitely deserved a victory that time, but Troll is vicious. Last game went as I told you: it was a wasted victory. I told that player that he could have won at least 1 h 30 minutes before he died by the Command Spell, but certain people like the Diablo-like progression and don't understand the meaning of "strong enough". 

His death left a lot of goods for my Merchant to grab in the Crypt, I reached the Crown and faced the Warrior as I told in another thread. I could have won; I should have, in fact, but I had 3 lives and lasted 3 Turns. With Armour and exactly the same Strength as the Warrior, Runesword by my side. Still he's advantaged, but you could see how lucky I am with the dice.

Well, in the end it's luck that governs Talisman. I should be the more experienced player but I'm usually the weaker, who knows why. I won one Talisman game out of 30...

#32 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:15 AM

Dam said:

The_Warlock said:

It looks like the trol is not so bad as i think, because of his low craft,

I think i was only unlucky when i drew 3 craft spirits in the middle region.

#33 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

Velhart said:

6 Lives makes up for low Craft, you can survive longer if you run into many Craft enemy draws. In most games here, Troll never gets above 3 Craft. 17 Str, 2 Craft is the beefiest Troll thus far. There was one game however where Troll got up to 4 or 5 Craft and had Wand. Behold the spell-slinging Troll !

#34 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Dam said:

Velhart said:

6 Lives makes up for low Craft, you can survive longer if you run into many Craft enemy draws. In most games here, Troll never gets above 3 Craft. 17 Str, 2 Craft is the beefiest Troll thus far. There was one game however where Troll got up to 4 or 5 Craft and had Wand. Behold the spell-slinging Troll !

Yeah, you have a point. He has enough lives to survive. Maybe i must try him out again. He can easily punch some dragons  to the ground, to get a level up for strength.

A spell slinging troll sounds a rare occasion, and sounds funny indeed

#35 grim_reaper_zig

grim_reaper_zig

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

Dam said:

grim_reaper_zig said:

And we always let people choose their characters.

Ugh, to each his own, but doesn't that lead to the same characters being picked every single game?

Nope, we actually try to choose new characters every time, but we actually see who we get. it's just that we see the favorites the most, but not where it starts to get annoying, instead it's like "hey look you chose the ghoul, watch out guys we got a favorite!" as we have very specific strats for our favs.

#36 Zerodemon

Zerodemon

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

I love the Minstrel.

I always random select.

The Dark Cultist is our biggest winner here.

#37 derros87

derros87

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

i just picked this game up a couple of days ago ive only played a couple of games but wizard is my favorite.

and when me and my opponet play i deal out 3 cards to each of us and then we choose 1

#38 Kloszardzik

Kloszardzik

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:21 AM

I always random select!Surprise effect is very exciting for the game .My favourite character is Dark Cultist,despite the Troll won very offen.

#39 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

After a short break, back to Talisman (LotR + 2 expansions consumed me a lot of late). Nothing changed on the Sorceress front though. Another char drew Pestilence, Druid attacked her twice and then she drew Gathering which moved a Wraith to her location, scratch the Sorceress (3rd death in 7 appearances, now 0-7, only char without a win so far). And this happened early, like in the first 1/10 of the Adventure deck . So when she was reborn as the Troll, he didn't have a lot of catching up to do. And Troll seemed to inherit some of the Craft from his previous life as he ended the game with 8 Craft (10 vs Spirits due to Bane Sword). Troll capable of taking on a Demon in an even psychic combat, who woulda thunk? But, despite Str 12, he failed 4 times at Crypt , leaving the Sage to collect an easy win. Sage currently the only char with a positive win record, 4-3. Early days so far, only 5 characters have had their 7th game though. Somehow the Sage remains dominant. He ended today with Str 10 (with Mercenary for battle) and 11 Craft (with Gnome Mines were a joke).

#40 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:08 AM

bump

Well, as promised, new stats. 41 games done with Upgrade + Reaper. 2 2-player, rest 3-player. Might be a while before next games are played, starting a new gig on Monday, so less free time available.

Name                G/W/L/D/R

Assassin           8/2/6/1/1
Dark Cultist       8/3/5/1/2
Druid                  8/2/6/0/3
Dwarf                  8/3/5/2/0
Elf                        8/1/7/2/1
Ghoul                  8/1/7/2/2
Knight                 8/3/5/0/0
Merchant            8/2/6/1/0
Minstrel              8/1/7/3/1
Monk                   8/2/6/1/0
Priest                  8/1/7/2/2
Prophetess       8/3/5/1/0
Sage                   8/5/3/0/1*
Sorceress          8/0/8/3/2
Thief                    9/3/6/0/1
Troll                     8/4/4/1/3*
Warrior                8/2/6/1/4*
Wizard                 8/3/5/3/1

Reaper kills: 5 (Elf, Prophetess, Troll, Warrior, Wizard)

Toad: 4 (Dwarf, Priest, Sage, Thief)

G: # of games character has been in

W: won game, last char standing, naturally

L: involved in a game, lost

D: mid-game death, so died before anyone reached the Crown of Command

R: mid-game replacement, drawn because a mid-game death occurred

*: character won as mid-game replacement

Seems like I could categorize the chars into following sections:

Top Dog (big cheese):

5-3 Sage

Remains the consistently best character

Pretender:

4-4 Troll

Strategy is easy, bash, bash, bash, strength, strength, strength.

(note, both of the top-2 have won as a mid-game replacement, solidifying their reputations)

Upper Mid-level:

3-5 Dark Cultist, Dwarf, Knight, Prophetess, Thief (3-6), Wizard

These are all solid characters, who don't require a lot of luck to win.

Lower Mid-level:

2-6 Assassin, Druid, Merchant, Monk, Warrior

Solid as well, but require more luck to win. Assassin suffers from him being houseruled back to "normal" Assassin, not the über-death-machine he is RAW. Warrior has been a mid-game replacement in half the games his been in, leading to bit poorer stats than one would expect. He's managed a win as replacement though.

Bottom of the barrel:

1-7 Elf, Ghoul, Minstrel, Priest

You got your work cut out for you, if you're wanting a win. Of course, if ever char in the current game is from this level or the Sorceress, things should be fairly even-steven.

SOL:

Sorceress

Almost got to 1-7, but Prophetess managed Transference + Temporal Warp.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS