#21 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

thejughead said:

Maine said:

thejughead said:

I think the design is excellent, but I would suggest adding a detailed export.  Having each unit/hero with their details.

I actually chose not to do detailed info for a very specific reason at this point - I believe the inclusion of such information steps into the bounds of copyright violation, while what I have made is still within the realm of fair use.

This wouldn't be too hard to add for output, though, if someone was willing to do all the text entry for it… but I'd want FFG's written assurance that they are OK with it, first.

Actually, I think I can safely add page numbers and rule names to everything, at least.

If you can ask for permission, I'll supply the text.  What are you using for a backend?

I would say this should be separate from the normal export.

All data is stored in Javascript - in fact the entire thing is standalone, if you download the index.html, builder.js and css/bootstrap.css files, you can run it locally.  You can view source code here: http://dust.mainecoon.net/builder.js

I will likely split data out to a second .js file though.

#22 madmaxknick50

madmaxknick50

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for a great tool. I'm already using it to build my forces.

#23 thejughead

thejughead

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

How do you want me to store the data?  In arrays?  Can you give me a shell of the array and I will begin to fill them.

#24 AELFWINE

AELFWINE

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

This is fantastic!

Can we get the option to add more than two platoons? Or am I missing something. I am using IE8.

#25 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

AELFWINE said:

This is fantastic!

Can we get the option to add more than two platoons? Or am I missing something. I am using IE8.

Change the maximum # of points and it should let you do more.

#26 MattRendar

MattRendar

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

very helpful ! thanks

#27 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

thejughead said:

How do you want me to store the data?  In arrays?  Can you give me a shell of the array and I will begin to fill them.

thejughead said:

Hm, let's use JSON with this format… before you start, I can't promise this will make it into the final product.  Please email me using the contact address on the Force Builder page (my name at the top).

Use short identifiers for rules/weapons.

Example:

units = {
    "unit identified - just put a name here I'll work out the rest": {
        "description": "flavor text, html allowed",
        "move": move, "dc": dc, "type": "soldier or vehicle or aircraft", "armor": armor,
        "rules": [ "rule1", "rule2", { "name": "special rule name", "description": "special rule description, html allowed" } ],
        "weapons": { "weapon1": 1, "weapon2": 3 }
   }, ….
};

weapons = {
    "weapon1": { "name": "full weapon name", "page": pagenum, "description": "long description, html allowed", "rules": [ "rule1", "rule2", "rule3" ], "damage": [ s1, s2, s3, s4, v1, v2, v3, v4, v5, v6, v7, a1, a2, a3 ] },
    ….
}

For weapons, do damages as "#/#" strings like in the book, use "S" for Spray, e.g, "3/1", "S/3", "SS/1"

rules = {
"rule1": { "name": "full rulename", "page": pagenum, "description": "long description, html allowed", "rules": [ "rule1", "rule2" ] },
….
}

(Rules with other rules is to cover how things like "Radioman" grant "Artillery Strike").

However you do it, I can re-arrange it if needed.  Getting the information typed in is time consuming, this will let me focus on the code side of it.  I have not yet decided how I will handle it; I might store this data in an additional file and have it only loaded for a detailed output; I'll probably use HTML for the detailed output as well.

How does this sound for 2 new HTML output modes:

- "Rules (Brief)" includes basic stats (unit type, armor, move, health) and the names of rules for each unit w/ page numbers

- "Detailed" includes the above, weapon info for each unit included w/ the unit, and summary of rules at the end

I originally did not provide this info because I considered linking to 536RodneySmith's awesome info cards instead, but I can see how people may prefer a straight printout with the info.

#28 AELFWINE

AELFWINE

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

felkor said:

AELFWINE said:

This is fantastic!

Yeah, I did that. I changed it to 450, 500 and 1200. No effect. Adjust fire. Over.

#29 thejughead

thejughead

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

I did and it worked in firefox.

#30 BDub

BDub

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Is it actually legal to buy "Extra Panzer" support for a zombie/gorilla platoon, allowing you to get a support choice you otherwise wouldn't have access to?

#31 AELFWINE

AELFWINE

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

BDub said:

Is it actually legal to buy "Extra Panzer" support for a zombie/gorilla platoon, allowing you to get a support choice you otherwise wouldn't have access to?

I just saw that as well.

#32 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

AELFWINE said:

BDub said:

I just saw that as well.

Hm, good point.   I guess I need to fix that so you can only take a support you normally could have taken.

#33 AELFWINE

AELFWINE

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

AELFWINE said:

BDub said:

I just saw that as well.

Neither the Axis Gorilla Platoon led by Markus nor a Zombie Platoon led by Totenmeister are allowed any platoon upgrades whatsoever.

#34 BDub

BDub

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Maine said:

Hm, good point.   I guess I need to fix that so you can only take a support you normally could have taken.

No, I'm actually asking.  I no those specialized platoons cant ordinarily take support choices, but I am unsure if you can circumvent that restriction by buying them a platoon upgrade.  It would be nice if you could, allowing you to throw a Heinrich with them to cause suppression before the zombie onslaught begins.

#35 BDub

BDub

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Oh, hey, btw.  It would be nice to have a button to reset all field or perhaps a reset at the platoon level.

Also, nice work.

#36 AELFWINE

AELFWINE

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

BDub said:

Maine said:

No, I'm actually asking.  I no those specialized platoons cant ordinarily take support choices, but I am unsure if you can circumvent that restriction by buying them a platoon upgrade.  It would be nice if you could, allowing you to throw a Heinrich with them to cause suppression before the zombie onslaught begins.

Pages 132 and 134 say that neither of the platoons shall receive said platoon upgrades but must otherwise obey Axis platoon rules.

However, you could have another platoon with walkers, levy the Axis Extra Panzer Support upgrade, provide a screening action and then conduct a passage of lines with the gorillas screaming forward past the walkers.

#37 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

AELFWINE said:

felkor said:

AELFWINE said:

This is fantastic!

Yeah, I did that. I changed it to 450, 500 and 1200. No effect. Adjust fire. Over.

Fixed. Yet another IE event difference :-(

Thanks for reporting it!

#38 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

AELFWINE said:

AELFWINE said:

BDub said:

I just saw that as well.

Neither the Axis Gorilla Platoon led by Markus nor a Zombie Platoon led by Totenmeister are allowed any platoon upgrades whatsoever.

That's an easy change; I assume it's the same for Action Jackson's Paratroop platoon… I'll do that tonight.

#39 AELFWINE

AELFWINE

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

No problem with the report. Action Jackson operates the same.

Thanks for providing this utility! :)

#40 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

AELFWINE said:

BDub said:

I just saw that as well.

No.  Page 115, Extra Panzer Support…

"The walker must be of a type normally available to the platoon as a support unit."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS