A New Arkham Investigations Website

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

At the bottom of the page are two case books written, of course, in French. I am trying to translate one of them, called L'Appel du Vide written by amikezor. 

Maybe, I can help :-)

That would be great, Amikezor! My French is terrible and using Google translate only butchers it further :)

I actually already started to translation last year. I can certainly do a first version and send it to you.

best

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon and Mines of Yuggoth

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#42 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

Alright! The new case book, The Terrible House, is finished! I ended up rewriting the case book with an entirely different plot that what I had initially intended. The new case book is posted on the web site and available for download here: http://arkhaminvesti....net/cases.html

I am hoping to play test the case book this week, but I would appreciate any feed back - especially of any mistakes found. To prevent spoilers, please sent me a Pm with your feedback :)

Cheers!

#43 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

With the completion of The Terrible House (minus a revision to fix mistakes), I am now off to begin the new casebook, Escape from Innsmouth. I believe this casebook will be easy to write and finish, as I have all the notes and preliminary stuff for it already. I hope to have the first draft/version completed within two weeks - lets us see how fast and long into the cold dark nights I can type frantically as if Cthulhu himself was chasing me ...

I have also come up with some more prop ideas. Once I finish them, I will post them on the website.Here is a rundown of what I am working on:

• I always used atmospheric music when running my Call of Cthulhu rpg game. I am doing the same now for Arkham Horror. So, I am working on a playlist of music I will be using. It truly adds ambiance to the game to have some very creepy Lovecraftian music playing in the background...
  • I am going to begin having players dress up in costumes while we play (ie. 1920's vintage clothes). I am looking for a very good vintage 1920's suit for myself :)
  • Candles, candles and more candles instead of lights.

#44 MaddMatt

MaddMatt

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I posted on the AI website, but not sure if that gets monitored, so I'll post my question here too...

Hi, Tonight I will be playing The Haunting (v3) with my group. This will be our first outing with Arkham Investigations. Looking at the set up, it says to put Spy monsters in the cup. Am I missing a token sheet? I don’t have any Spies (other the Trish Scarborough, and she’s certainly not monstrous!)

#45 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

I posted on the AI website, but not sure if that gets monitored, so I'll post my question here too...

Hi, Tonight I will be playing The Haunting (v3) with my group. This will be our first outing with Arkham Investigations. Looking at the set up, it says to put Spy monsters in the cup. Am I missing a token sheet? I don’t have any Spies (other the Trish Scarborough, and she’s certainly not monstrous!)

Sorry MaddMatt, while I was recouperating over the year, I did little with the AI website. However, I did recently reply to your question but will add here as well.

The Spy monster in the casebook was a mistake - it is an example monster using the Strange Aeons program; simply ignore it.

#46 MaddMatt

MaddMatt

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

Should The Haunting paragraph 35 end the game?

Also, the Tome, Corbitt's Diary has the wrong paragraph numbers on it.

Edited by MaddMatt, 08 August 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#47 MaddMatt

MaddMatt

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

So, we played The Haunting tonight, our first Arkham Investigations game.  Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the game, but it had issues (or we were doing something wrong :) ).  We did go around 10 consecutive turns without rolling the requirement to move the timeline on, so that probably didn't help.  The story telling aspect was great, but we rarely felt under pressure.  I think we finished the story (see previous post), but continued playing, we were certain that the "Vignette complete" or "Investigation complete' text was missing, so continued playing under the assumption it was the vignette that was complete.  Looking back, probably ended in a success when we offed the walking dead in his basement.  Looking forward to playing the other cases.

Cheers!

#48 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

So, we played The Haunting tonight, our first Arkham Investigations game.  Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the game, but it had issues (or we were doing something wrong :) ).  We did go around 10 consecutive turns without rolling the requirement to move the timeline on, so that probably didn't help.  The story telling aspect was great, but we rarely felt under pressure.  I think we finished the story (see previous post), but continued playing, we were certain that the "Vignette complete" or "Investigation complete' text was missing, so continued playing under the assumption it was the vignette that was complete.  Looking back, probably ended in a success when we offed the walking dead in his basement.  Looking forward to playing the other cases.

Cheers!

Yes the casebook ends on paragraph 35.

Ah, I was not aware of the entry mistake on Corbitt's Diary - I will fix that and upload a new card tomorrow.

With the other issues of the casebook, I will look into it tomorrow as well. One question: the lack of pressure - is this about not enough of threats that makes it so?

#49 MaddMatt

MaddMatt

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

Cheers!

Yes the casebook ends on paragraph 35.

Ah, I was not aware of the entry mistake on Corbitt's Diary - I will fix that and upload a new card tomorrow.

With the other issues of the casebook, I will look into it tomorrow as well. One question: the lack of pressure - is this about not enough of threats that makes it so?

I think it was the down to the long time between timeline events (it was Day 4 we were stuck on).  I imagine, had the timeline advanced more promptly, we would have felt a lot of pressure.  I'm thinking of adding a token to the timeline each time it doesn't advance and advancing automatically when there are 3 tokens, remove tokens when the timeline advances.  We managed to see off Walter in a single round of combat (1 blessed investigator with a bunch of magical weapons, and 1 with a fairly high Fight rating).  Like I say, it was a very enjoyable experience, the house was particularly creepy and actually sent one of us Insane (we were 3 players), thanks to a particularly grizzly incident in the kitchen.

We did have some other thoughts.  In the casebook, around the Corbitt House, there were a number of paragraphs that read, "Nothing happens, read paragraph x"  They felt awkward and seemingly pointless, ie ,why couldn't the previous paragraph point us to paragraph x?   And yeah, perhaps the threat level of the enemy was a little low, but I guess it served the narrative well.  I was thinking of maybe adding a couple of other undead to the basement encounter, just a couple of Zombies, which would force investigators to split their dice pool. That would make Walter much more of a challenge.

Any suggestions for a second Investigation?

Editted for grammar.

Edited by MaddMatt, 09 August 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#50 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thank you for the feedback, MaddMatt - I will review the casebook and see if there are any changes that can be implemented with it (especially about the "nothing happens" portions).

I would suggest either tackling Whispers in Darkness or Dark Dreams of Dagon as your next investigation.

#51 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

I corrected the card, Corbitt's Diary, with the proper paragraphs; you can download it here:

http://www.mediafire...6ba5ss01thiwfna

I also added it to the website for download as well. I am working on replacing the "Nothing happens, read paragraph x"  paragraphs as well and should have an updated casebook loaded soon.

On another note, I working diligently away on the new casebook, Escape from Arkham. I hope to have it complete very soon!

#52 MaddMatt

MaddMatt

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

I corrected the card, Corbitt's Diary, with the proper paragraphs; you can download it here:

http://www.mediafire...6ba5ss01thiwfna

I also added it to the website for download as well. I am working on replacing the "Nothing happens, read paragraph x"  paragraphs as well and should have an updated casebook loaded soon.

On another note, I working diligently away on the new casebook, Escape from Arkham. I hope to have it complete very soon!

Cheers for the update!  Thanks to my impatience :) I went ahead and printed off the Cthulhu! Dread Sleeper in R'lyeh investigation.  We played on Friday night, and as a result, Cthulhu now walks the earth. Apologies for that.

Very much looking forward to the Escape From Innsmouth investigation!

#53 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Certainly MaddMatt! I do look foward to any input from players that run the casebooks, since that uncovers any errors or changes that need to be made. I only wish I could gather another group of players myself so that I can get back to playing Arkahm Investigations too :)

#54 MaddMatt

MaddMatt

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

One thing that I very much liked about the Cthulhu casebook was the fact that all locations had a listing in the index, so there were no clues as to where to go next, except for in the text.

#55 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

I agree - that casebook was well done to add a good deal of suspense and mystery. I wish to try formatting that style with my next casebook as well.

#56 suicidepuppet

suicidepuppet

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Glad to see the fire back in this project. Always look forward to new material for Arkham and this project has been a favorite. I need to check and see if I have updated since you made corrections.

Off to the Archive...

#57 suicidepuppet

suicidepuppet

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

And yes, since they killed my avatar on the forum change I have decided to let my ghost remain and join all the other ghosts here =)

#58 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Glad to see the fire back in this project. Always look forward to new material for Arkham and this project has been a favorite. I need to check and see if I have updated since you made corrections.

Off to the Archive...

Thanks, glad to be back and healthy once again! The Escape from Innsmouth casebook is coming along very nicely, but I hope to hear from anyone with feedback about the casebook, The Terrible House, soon.

#59 OldManWhateley

OldManWhateley

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

The new casebook, Escape from Innsmouth, is coming along nicely, but it is slower going that I had previously thought. However, I have forced myself to adhere to the commitment of its completion and I will post some updates as to my ongoing progress.

I am also working on another project, involving a redo of Investigators. I am shamefully a Lovecraftian purist and want to revamp the Investigators to better suit those characters from his stories. I will keep the Investigators as per the game but with some changes. These include:

• A rewrite of their "Story So Far" to make each more Lovecraftian in nature.
  • A complete reworking of each Investigator's Fixed Possession or Skills. It irks to no end when I am playing an author or doctor and I draw my random item cards at the start of the game, only to find my doctor has a Flame Thrower! With the change will be no random items, rather each Investigator will have fixed items and skills already selected to better suit each profession.

Cheers!

#60 suicidepuppet

suicidepuppet

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

That is so weird. I was just thinking the other day, after running across a resource online that happened to have all the characters and what stories they were in, about adding them to the system. I knew it was above my head to attempt but I could at least compile the list. Do you know which website I'm talking about? It is like a glossary. I'll dig up the URL again if you need it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS