Photo

Wojo's (beyond)100 plays challenge comments (UPDATE: The Redhorn Gate - conclusion)

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

Scenarios played:
NinjaDorg's Scenario 3 - Forgotten Ruins
NinjaDorg's Scenario 4 - The Elven Assembly
both with my regular deck (Spirit/Leadership) with Eowyn, Dunhere, Theodred. Both won on first try (in Forgotten Ruins case it was a fairly close win as far as wounds on the heroes go, The Elven Assembly was won really easily)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Local] Pacing of Forgotten Ruins is just ideal for new players, it gives you time to prepare before attacking you hard (with Spawn and later with Nazgul), it teaches you to time completing the stages right, shows importance of allies and lower threat. I consider it to be easier then Journey down the Anduin and would recommend it for all players that finished Passage through Mirkwood. The Elven Assembly was very easy to beat and never posed a real threat (although I was fairly lucky with my draws of the Orks that happen few times in the quest).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[General] I played two previous custom scenarios by NinjaDorg's some time ago and I liked them quite a bit. Now I am ready to form an initial opinion on the whole series (I am still planing on trying the following scenarios as well to see how they differ). This series of scenarios should be recommended to all new players (some of them even before Passage through Mirkwood), I really think that will teach important game concepts without tossing new players into the deep water right away (I am looking at you Journey down the Anduin). There is a drawback to this namely NinjaDorg's scenarios get much easier with increased player card pool much faster then the original ones that still propose a decent challenge.

#22 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Date: 2012-06-29
Times Played: 2
My almost standard spirit/leadership deck led by Eowyn, Dunhere and Theodred against two NinjaDorg's scenarios 5 & 6. Won both cases.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Local] I liked both scenarios despite the fact that I managed to win them both on first try (in the case of Ungoliant's Lair it helped that I have read the scenario and knew what to expect).
- Ungoliant's Lair - This is what I call a one trick pony scenarios. There is a certain mechanic/restriction built to the scenario and if you are surprised by it on first try it is likely that you will loose. Once you are familiar with it then it is much easier to succeed and scenario becomes much easier.
- Branching Paths - explores the concept that I find very interesting namely that your choices at the end of the scenario impact what stage you will face next. This particular quest did not fully explore the potential of this approach (as choices were quite easy) but showed that it can be done and can be very interesting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Global] Again I want to reiterate that FFGs scenarios seem to handle repeat plays much better then the custom ones while the latter are much better suited for new players. I love the fact that people do create those as it greatly increases longevity of the game. Kudos to all people that develop them.

#23 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Date: 2012-07-01
Times Played: 3
My now "standard" spirit/leadership deck led by Eowyn, Dunhere and Theodred against Conflict at the Carrock. Won three times.
[Local] I was able to defeat Conflict at the Carrock three times in the row using my battle tested deck. At first I was a bit disappointed that I did not have to rebuild my deck times and times again before succeeding with the scenario. Now that I had some time to reflect on it all three tries required very careful play and the encounter deck did put a lot of pressure on me (be it in the danger that mass attack of trolls or enormous threat that accumulated in the staging area). This is my second favorite scenario (just bellow Journey down the Anduin) now and I hope to replay it few more times although I can see it would be much harder without any of the used spheres - spirit (threat reduction, questing) and leadership (allies, resource type)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Global] Unfortunately I allowed guys from the Cardboard of the Rings podcast to spoil the scenarios for me (I stated to listen just when I got the game). Despite the fact that I enjoyed listening to it I decided against doing that in order to explore scenarios on my own. This seems to be a huge problem with discussions on the game. Many of the scenarios rely on surprise factor and if it gets spoiled you loose two or three plays before gaining experience required to rebuild your deck and those first games might be really really fun as you tweak and re-tweak your deck.
One thing that starts to annoy me are difficulty levels of the scenarios. Those are really off as far as solo plays goes. How can be Escape from Dul Guldur that is famous for being almost un-beatble solo be on the same difficulty level as Conflict at the Carrock that I manged to best with my (strong but still) regular deck?

#24 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

yeah the difficulty ratings really are meaningless….some quests are harder solo, some multiplayer. personally i have found the dwarrowdelf cycles all to be easier than their tag

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#25 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Date:2012-07-04
Times Played: 3
Conflict at the Carrock - lost, won, lost. Again with my standard Eowyn. Dunhere, Theodred spirit/leadership deck
[Local]I am glad that I decided to replay CatC again after my 3 successful runs against it last time. This time the scenario bared its fangs against me and showed me what it can do. First started in a pretty standard way I fielded tons of allies and was slowing down my progress on the quest as much as possible but there was one thing different - I could not draw any threat reduction cards (despite the fact that I managed to draw 4 or 6 additional cards due to valiant sacrifices). Also the threat deck attacked me in a sneaky way accelerating threat increase in few ways. Then it suddenly allowed me to go to the second stage (to tell the truth I was risking it before I was afraid of additional threat increase if I quested with not enough). Then the trolls came down. I actually would succeeded defending and slaying them in 3 rounds or so (I had so many allies after all that I was not scared of loosing some of them) … but there is one trick to the trolls attacking all at once - your threat goes up whopping 12 points. This was the end for my party.
Win was not much different then before. Third attempt was interesting again as this time encounter deck managed to kill me (not me not drawing right cards as in the first case). Dunhere was sacked on first turn, next the standard troll came up. Those two things combined meant that I was behind in resource generation. I was not able to field enough allies as I had to use resources on threat reduction. When I was finally tricked into the second stage I had only few guys on my side and the regular troll still engaged. I killed it with sneak attacking Gandalf but had to engage another troll (otherwise I would have to quest with all team just to stay equal with staging area) but this still left me with no force to kill buffed up troll and not enough quest power to take care of the Carrock. I gave up when left with two enemies (troll and snake) engaged threat at 33 and no allies (Dunhere was still sacked). FUN TIMES!
--------------------------------------------------------------
[General] No new thoughts here just the fact that randomness inherit to all card games can trick players - someone might say after few lucky plays that the game was is too easy and never play again. Someone might be so flustered by loosing constantly an fell that even the easies scenario is HARD. I think that talking to the community (BGG/FFG) and playing each scenarios many many times will give you the right perspective (and maybe great in helping you to locate rules mistake - if you are succeeding/failing dramatically more often than others).

#26 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Date:2012-07-12
Times Played: 2
Journey to Rhosgobel -Lore/Leadership deck led by Bilbo, Beravor and Gloin
-----------------------------------------
[Local] I've had a lot of hopes for this scenario. I was looking forward to finally completely changing my deck in order to heal the eagle and for the first time I was disappointed in the scenario. Most of the lore healing cards can not be used to help the eagle, you need a decent questing power as your patient is receiving wounds very fast … and you need ton of luck to find "the cure". After my two plays I was about to say that my previous deck would deal with this scenario better than the new one despite the lack of healing cards. Luckily after some careful consideration I am convinced that I need lore to win this scenario with a decent regularity.
-----------------------------------
[Global] I am starting to see weakness in the card pool/scenario design of this game. Namely Spirit sphere seams to be almost a must have in solo plays. I would like to see other spheres becoming more appealing (don't even get me started on Tactics and solo) or scenarios that require you to use strengths of other spheres. This is why I think Journey to Rhosgobel was a disappointment as in my mind it was promising just that and delivered it only partially. Anyway I will still play this scenario few times before writing it off.

#27 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

Date: 2012-07-28 

Times Played: 4
A Journey to Rhosgobel 
Win twice lost twice. Lore/Spirit deck led by Denethor, Glorfindel and Eowyn
[Local] After my initial disappointment with the quest I decided to change my heroes, deck and strategy. I decided to try to complete the quest as fast as possible hoping to pickup just enough (two) good cards from my hands (Lore of Imladris) or from encounter deck (Athelas). I decided to exchange heroes with card drawing capabilities (Bilbo, Berevor) for cards providing it (Lorien's Wealth, Ancient Mathom + Erebor Hammersmith, Gleowine). Now my heroes had better stats and other useful abilities (especially Denethor's encounter deck control was useful at the beginning). I liked the quest much better this time as 
- I discovered that lore is an interesting (and powerful) sphere
- Without leadership (and its resource generation abilities) choices of which cards to play are more interesting
- Same thing with the increased number of cards in hand (due to card drawing abilities) 
[Global] I like how the change of spheres, changes the way the game plays. Although I still think that this scenario is not perfect for forcing you into different path/play style (as it seems that again you are forced into choosing Spirit) it is interesting change from other scenarios.

#28 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

Date: 2012-07-23
Times Played: 5
A Journey to Rhosgobel
Win three times, lost twice. Lore/Spirit deck led by Denethor, Glorfindel and Eowyn
[Local] Through out my plays I adjusted the deck a bit (added one lore ranged character as I was plagued with bats and crows in one of the games and added Hasty Stroke as shadow effects in this scenario tend to be brutal - those two replaced some rarely used cards). In one of the attempts I decided to try to finish step one in one turn but the actual cost of this move (or its risk in general) was to high and I finally failed. Out of all games I mostly enjoyed the one in which I got highest score (but still managed to win) - it was exciting battle on the verge of loosing (I actually lost Glorfindel) with some creative plays and risky maneuvers.
[Global] Fantasy Flight prepared a list of players archetypes for this game at some point. They've given them some LOTR names but in short those are:
- Flavour player - builds his deck according to LOTR reality (e.g. will never use Frodo as he was not active/alive during official period of time).
- Combo player - enjoys finding synergies between the cards
- Must win player - enjoys winning and this is most important for him (or goes for the lowest score even at the risk of several losses before getting it).
I find my self in between those categories. I am not a hardcore lotr fan and I do not care if cards are in accordance to book timeline but I do enjoy the stories that this game tells. I like to find combos and synergies and I am usually quite impressed with them but I do not actively seek/invent them and test them out - I am more of one card at the time guy who is often pleasantly surprised when two cards work in concert. Finally I do construct decks to win but I am more for consistency (high percentage) of wins then about high score or 100% even success rate.

#29 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

Date: 2012-09-01  

Times Played 2 
The Hills of Emyn Muil
Played twice with Spirit/Leadership deck (Eowyn, Frodo, Theodred) - won once, lost once.
---------------------------------------------
[Local] Finally I broke a dry spell that kept me away from LOTR:LCG for more then a month (mainly caused by our summer holidays) and went to journey to the hills of Emyn Muil. From various sources (my first play was around the time this expansion was released so I was still listening/reading comments back then) I knew that this scenario is location heavy so I prepared a team/deck ready for it. It worked quite well in my first attempt and I beat the scenario by round 8 (I had 19 VPs on turn 5 and needed 3 more to find the final one). I deemed the quest fairly easy at this point but decided that I want to see some more of it and tried again. It started even better then before but then boom … around round four I drew an avalanche (Treachery - all characters committed to the quest receive 2 wounds) followed by (as there were no locations in the staging area) by necromancer reach (1 wound to each exhausted character). This killed Eowyn and almost all allies (except Faramir who was waiting to boost will power). I was sure that I am dead at this point but decided to press on. Surely enough next turn proved me right - I had to reveal 3 cards from the encounter deck (second one had surge) revealing two enemies and another Necromancer's Reach - with Theodred dead and two enemies that would destroy my remaining forces fast I concluded the game. I am planing to play the scenario few more times as I haven't seen many cards at all yet. I am also considering swaping Leadership for some healing from Lore as I need more ways than just the Test of Will to counter nasty treacheries or their effects. This quest is not so great but mainly due to the fact that is very similar to Hunt for Gollum (there you were hunting for clues here you are looking for additional victory points). 
-------------------------------------------------
[Global] I am a bit disappointed with this quest and I am bit afraid of the game interest in the long run if this trend continues - mainly due to the fact that puts pressure on you not in some interesting way but using blunt force (it seems that some cards should have written on them - kill your characters unless you play test of will). On the other hand I was quick to write of the A Journey to Rhosgobel so maybe the fault is in my deck design - maybe I should add heroes with more hit points instead of relaying on countering bad draws from encounter deck. This is will be interesting to see. Anyway let me continue with my original thought - I really hope that in subsequent scenarios FFG will find creative ways to make them hard instead of hitting you with harder and harder instant (almost) kill cards as this makes tactical part of the game a bit dull and frustrating. I would much rather see some impending doom slowly approaching and thinking hard on how to avoid it - instead of drawing "BOOM YOU ARE DEAD" cards.

#30 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

two points for you to note

1.emyn muil is the most llinear quest you will find, so do not fear, it is an idea ffg do not repeat on

and

2. these instant kill cards are rare in future packs however i warn you in dwarrowdelf there are certainly a couple that make emyn muil treacheries look like cake…..these are often complained about by players so im sure ffg will take this into account in future design

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#31 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

This thread is super awesome. I am tempted to try my own 100 game marathon. I'd have to trick it up somehow, so as not to simply copy the great, fun work that you are doing here. 

I could make it all two player games with my friend Zack. See if our friendship survives. Perhaps play through the quests in chronological order, only advance to the next one after beating the one before. See how far we can get before the 100 game "timer" runs out. The same quest 100 times? That's just madness. 

Perhaps put some aspect of the game to a vote: let people pick one of the heroes to play and build the deck around it? Maybe vote how many different quests I'd be allowed to run in the 100 plays (1 quest 100 times, 2 quests 50 times, 4 quests 25 times, etc). 

Anyway, keep up the great work. 

#32 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

Rich - thanks for your comment …it got me thinking about this quest and you can read my thoughts in my next post. Also thanks for the heads up that I might still see some of the instant kill treacheries in the future.

DrNate, thanks for taiking the time to read my thoughts and commenting. As for one hundred plays - here are some random thoughts:
- it is not so hard to do with this game. I frankly believe that you can do it with just a core set (and maybe some custom scenarios for BGG). I think I played Journey down the Anduin around 40 or 50 times.
- I like your idea with having 100 attempts and see how far one could go while going to the next quest only after beating the previous one.
- playing solo is a bit more restrictive in that you usually can't play with every possible combination of spheres as often times you need a very very good deck and/or excellent combination just to have a decent shot at winning.

#33 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Date: 2012-09-06
Scenario: The Hills of Emyn Muil
Heroes/Spheres: Eowyn, Frodo, Theodred (Spirit/Leadership)
Played: 4 times
Results: 3 won and 1 lost

------------------------------------------
[Local] I decided to play few more times with my already constructed deck just to see how it will do. As expected I did fairly well on most of my attempts although I did loose once and did not menage to beat my score (although each time I was closer to it). At times it was a bit frustrating that I was missing one or two victory points and for several turns I was just waiting for them to show up. As a side note: On Polish LOTR:LCG forum I saw a comment from one of the user claiming that he always play the game while listening to the soundtrack of the Peter Jackson movies. I decided to do the same (I own an audio casette with soundtrack from the first movie :)! ) and I have to say it did increase my enjoyment of the game especially when "a danger music" was playing when I was drawing from the encounter deck! 
[General] In his comment FFG's forum user richsabre called this scenario the most linear one and that got me thinking about it some more. From what I saw so far from the game I agree totally with his assessment. I would even go so far as to say that this scenario lacks any story arc and or progressions. In other adventure packs when you flip the scenario card you are often faced with a tempo change, need for change of strategy and so on. This gives you the feel that you are indeed on a journey and you arrived at the turning point. In "The Hills of Emyn Muil" you have none of that - you do not get see the story in your actions - you are randomly traveling from one location to the next hoping to visit just enough of them to "win". It is just not that satisfying or interesting as it does not tell a story.  

NOTE: Milestone reached - I now played this game 100 times … I still have almost 40 commented plays to go but we are getting there. 

#34 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Date: 2012-09-09
Scenario: The Hills of Emyn Muil
Heroes/Spheres: Eowyn, Frodo, Dunhere (Mono Spirit)
Played: 4 times
Results: 2 won and 2 lost
[Local] After playing 6 times with my Spirit Leadership deck I knew that it would do fairly well against this scenario so I decided to change my deck in order to explore new grounds. Instinct told me that Spirit/Lore combo would do even better here but I saw an opportunity that I did not explore for a long time - playing with a mono sphere deck. In this scenario spirit was an obvious choice so I went with it. I enjoyed this scenario with this deck even more despite the fact that it was less efficient then my previous deck. In fact I saw much more interesting decisions this time around and if fact I could have avoided one of my losses with an optimal play. I enjoyed the first attempt the most when I managed to win despite the fact that Eowyn was killed fairly early on. In another notable game I was overrun by enemies in the staging area (despite the fact that encounter deck in this game is very enemy light).
[General] As mentioned before this scenario lacks a lot in terms of telling a story but sometimes the encounter deck will make up for it. I think that still designers/developers could have done better with this scenario but it can be engaging with a bit of help from Lady (Un)Luck and the encounter deck. That is why it is good to play each scenario several times even if you don't like it so much on your first tries.

NOTE: Sorry for the triple post but I did not have time to post my plays and comments directly after playing the game so I am forced to do it all at once now.

#35 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

Date Played:2012-09-16
Scenario: Dead Marches
Heroes(spheres): Eowyn, Frodo, Theodred (Spirit/Leadership)
Played once - won.
-------------------------------------------------------
[Local] I very much like decisions that this quest forces you to make - which characters you will hold back and which will be send to quest. Those though and delicious dilemmas make this scenario great fun as you constantly need to balance the two risks (fail to quest vs fail to prevent from running away) and sometimes the threat deck will add an additional risk in front of you - now you are almost sure that you will fail at something. I praised the mechanic of this quest enough and I definitely recommend it but at the same time I have to say that in my first play those mechanics definitely made the theme take the back seat. I hope that once I play it few more times then the "cat and mouse chase" with Gollum will be more apparent to me.
[General] This was the first quest that I played without any prior knowledge on what to expect. This is definitely the way to play them as you get surprised by the challenges and you get a fun "I don't know what's coming next" felling. On the other hand I am strangely disappointed that I manged to beat it on first try. It would be so much more exciting to rebuild my deck after initial fail (especially because that I was "flying blind"). I guess my complaint is that I would like the scenarios to force me to rebuild my deck and change my approach every time. I of course understand that some people will try to play through all scenarios with one deck, so maybe this is just an expectations issue but still this is where I stand so far.

#36 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

Scenario played: The Dead Marches
Date: 21,22,23 Sep 2012
Heroes (spheres): Eowyn, Frodo, Theodred (spirit/leadership)
Played 9 times and won all of them
---------------------------------------------
[Local] This was a nice and pleasant weekend in The Dead Marches. I've spent the most time playing the game since my initial excitement just after getting it and it was really fun. I've played the scenario with the same deck as before twice and found out that two or three cards do not get played so often. I was shocked to discover that Sneak Attack was one of them but after moment of reflection I've swapped it for some more allies. All attempts after that were played with this improved deck. Here are some random thoughts:
- I am still learning how to play my cards well. As an example: at first I was playing unexpected courage on Thedored thinking he will quest (generate a resource) and then attack. Next game I was playing it on Frodo thinking I first need to be able to defend against a monster before I will attack it. Finally after few more games I realized that Eowyn is the best target for unexpected courage - she can both quest and guard/track Gollum at the same time and Frodo and Theodred can both be ready for combat if needed. Now it seems so obvious but I am glad that I am still improving in this game.
- Games with high score were the most exciting ones. My deck was not totally ready for dealing with two (or more) low engagement cost enemies at the very beginning (before fielding tons of allies) and it required clever tactics and hue threat gain at start which made every further step dangerous.
- As I said before playing this scenario is fun because it forces you to make though choices (as you will almost surely fail some escape tests).
- Consistent wins are nice change of pace. In this scenario I got 10/10 win ratio. In other case I thought that win percentage above 60% is great here it was fun hopping for winning all attempts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[General] After a longer period during which I played the game a bit less I am glad to be back in a full swing. LOTR:LCG is hugely dependent on the quality of scenarios prepared by FFG - boring one can limit your enjoyment and even make you less excited about the game in general and great one … suffice to say I got my copy of Khazad-dûm today. Of course I understand that one's enjoyment depends on the personal preference and what gets me excited might be most boring to others so FFG is in a difficult spot here but in general as far as I can see they do a fairly good job at "keeping all those balls in the air".
I also would like to stress that part of what keeps me playing the game after so many sessions is the fact that I am still learning it. I am forced to question my choices of the cards (like removing sneak attack) and my tactical strategies of playing cards. This is one of the reasons (next to its expandable nature) that this game has such an amazing re-playability.

#37 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:59 AM

Scenario played: Return to Mirkwood

Date: 25 Sep 2012
Played 5 times - first two losses and then 3 wins
[Local] Great experience continues! When I saw a rating difficulty 7 on this scenario I first thought that after great success with The Dead Marches nothing will stop me. I adjusted my deck a bit (to be more universal since I didn't knew what to expect) and prepared the encounter cards. BAAAM second card threat goes up 8 points, turn later great 8 attack spiders engage me … I am dead before going to stage 3 as threat skyrockets once I need to defend the spiders with Frodo). "Oh no!" - my killer deck defeated so easily? This can't be! Bring it on again! This time I fare much better though the constant threat rise is though. This time I go to the stage three and can't believe my eyes - I am not allowed to play cards! Soon I am swamped with enemies and locations in the staging area … I am barely keeping up with opposing threat and the progress on the quest is just too slow. The main spider from Passage through Mirkwood appears - threat goes up - enemies go down from staging … I am dead. WOW! I am desperate at this point … is this another escape from Dol Guldur experience? Luckily before putting the cards to the box I examine my hand and cards in front of me … why do I keep so many Dunedain warnings and marks? Those are close to useless. Back to the deck drawing board. Remove those cards and few others, more allies in. Next three tries and all won! Great tense games with tension rising all the way … well read next time when I will write some more about the quest (spoiler: it is brilliant!!!).
[General] Discussing the game on Polish message boards I discovered that I was counting my points wrong (starting with round 1 instead of zero and according to the rules you are supposed to tally a round only at its end). I was pretty sure that at this point I had all the rules down and I still discovered something. This is not a big deal as it only affects scoring which is not that important but … it makes me think. What else am I missing or playing wrong? This is a major drawback of solo game (or if you only play games in the same group) - there is no one to correct you. In other games (CCGs/LCGs especially) you have tournaments, fairly regular plays with different people and that soon enough allows you to discover if you play something incorrectly. There is nothing like that in this game (at least for me) so I am left to hope spotting my mistakes during some discussions at the forums. Mind you I am not interested in the tourneys and even playing this game with others (well I would like to do the former but I don't see me finding time for that) but I think that getting all rules right for this game is important to get the difficulty level planned by the designer. On the positive note - my games are preatty though in most cases so I am satisfied with difficulty anyway even if I am slightly off at some things :)

#38 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Date: 27 Sep 2012
Played 3 times - all wins
[Local] RtM become my favorite scenario just beating out The Journey Down the Anduin (which is harder for me so in the long run it might regain its spot as a favorite). So what do I like about it do much:
- Pacing, pacing and once more pacing - This scenario forces you to sprint (not run but sprint) there is no time to wait and build up your "fellowship". Crazy fast threat rise fells like an avalanche running down just at your heels. You are out of breath and still need to accelerate.
- What is even better that you are running towards the most difficult stage (stage 3 - no cards can be played) and here you just wish you have stayed in the previous stage a bit longer to be more prepared but a glance at your threat dial proves that you didn't have time to do that.  
- As you can gather from the above the quest feels so thematic - enemies are just behind you, Gollum does his share to slow your progress and puts you in even more danger - you are out of breath from running and still have to face enemies and if Attercop, Attercop appears - your allies will have to stay behind and die just to allow others to escape towards safety. 
[General] I am usually mechanics over theme (but I need both to enjoy a game) person but when both of them come together then there is a great chance for me to find gaming gems. This scenario proved to me LOTR:LCG can raise to that with a right scenario. With the previous one (The Dead Marches) was great in terms of mechanics and though decisions you were forced to make but lacked a bit in the theme. In Return to Mirkwood mechanics are a bit weaker but give you the excellent theme of running away from a pursuit while guarding an unwilling prisoner and in all it succeeded in delivering (not much but still) better gaming experience. For the future I am hoping for both kinds (better mechanics or stronger theme) of good scenarios though and from time to time this gem kind to top it off.

#39 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Date: 30 Sep 2012
Played 2 times - 1 loss and 1 win
[Local] After my several wins in a row I got cocky. I decided to let two undefended attacks go to Gollum (bringing him down to 1 HP) instead of slowing my progress and sure enough it costed me the game (bats engaged me and killed Gollum with forced effect). This was a reminder that despite my very good deck this scenario is hard and it punishes bad decisions severely. I was more cautious next time and despite though times manged to win my 10th attempt. I still love this scenario but just to try to be objective I will try to point few of its weaker points in this comment:
- Solo vs Muti-player - I am almost exclusively solo player (official rules) and I see that this scenario is easier at some points (stage two has no effect) and harder at other (there is no possibility to "share" the threat that Gollum generates, stage 3 is brutal solo). In general I think it is much harder solo which might make this scenario far less exciting with more players.
- Using "tournament legal deck rules" the treacheries that forces you to discard 10 cards are almost good (give you more options for dwarven tomb). If playing with more optimal deck (say 30 cards) those might be more dangerous.
- As usual I fell that you have to play spirit in solo games of it (threat reduction gives you more time, you need to quest fast and hard, test of will is really really good). This is if you read my comments on regular basis a constant complaint from my part - it might just mean that I am too attached to this sphere, I do not try to beat scenarios with other combinations and so on … but still if you want consistent wins against this scenario it is almost a must which is disappointing.
- Last step of the scenario seems a bit anticlimactic. Yeah, on paper it looks dangerous - all enemies engage you. In my experience though there are rarely any enemies in the staging area at this point and the step is so short that you finish it in the next round so even if some monsters do appear in next staging step they do not have a chance to attack you as the game is done before that.
[General] I am curious what other people think but I am starting to think that most of the player cards we get in adventure packs are pretty weak (or in case of some frankly useless). This becomes even more of an issue if you are restricted to solo gaming as I am. This is not a huge issue for me as I am more into the new scenarios but still I would like some more interesting cards for underutilized spheres (lore and tactics in my case). I understand that part of an issue comes form the fact that I am only looking to build a single deck that is efficient against a scenario during multiple attempts. Some other players might be more interested just exploring the interactions between their cards and have tons of fun trying various possible combos even if those work only every now and then. Now after typing that I think that maybe the current model is ideal - cards for me (new scenario) and cards for combo players (say that each card means at least one attempt gives 9 attempts which is roughly the same as I am doing). Still I found some post by people that were so disappointed with quality and quantity of new player cards that they've quit playing the game (Khazad Dum contents was a deal breaker for many it seems).

#40 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

Scenario played: Massing at Osgiliath
Date: 1 Oct 2012
Played 3 times - lost twice and won once
[Local] So after my exciting attempts against the Return to Mirkwood scenario I was ready to face my next challenge - POD scenario: Massing at Osgiliath. I've heard that this was very difficult scenario but after great success with previous one I was pretty confident. First game started quite well first stage was quickly conquered, in the second one I was moving at much slower speed. Finally I was able to go to the third - discard a hero (I have not been lucky enough to encounter the ranger) to be able to quest!? I was not sure what is waiting in stage three but I was certain that the Witchking will show up but decided to discard Theodred (as he is not as crucial later in the quest). I was kind of hoping for a short last stage but when 15 quest progress requirement was raveled I knew I was doomed. Threat counter reached 50 next turn. I've decided to play with this deck again just to see if it was its inefficiencies that got me killed or is this scenario is just this hard. This time I've progressed throgh the first stage even faster. I felt that I am in a good shape - quite a few resources (steward of Gondor), had an unexpected courage. The next stage halted me though - I was cut off (discard allays from hand - bye bye Gandalf ready to be summoned twice with quick strike) so all my resources were growing but I've had no cards to spend them on. I was able to go a bit further but staging area quickly was growing dangerous (I've had many enemies sitting there and no way to deal with them). Things snowballed from there and again threat killed me as I've entered stage 3. This was a sign that I need to redesign my deck. Few more stronger allies, few more dunedain attachments, few less events. That all helped I think … but what really allowed me to win was to finally see that I do not need to go quickly through this scenario. This strategy was necessary before but this time … I've taken my sweet time in the first stage of the quest, fielding my allies. I was very much ready when I've went to the second stage. This time also payed off because Ranger of Ithilien showed up and I knew that I was ready for stage three. With so many allies in play and relatively low threat I optionally engaged Witchking and was able to pay "his threat due" to keep him engaged. Three allies had to die to defend his attacks but in the end … I've escaped and won the scenario. In some sense like this scenario very much and in some sense I am disappointed. The strategy for it is the same as for Conflict at the Carrock. Build up in the first stage and just than proceed to the following stages - this feature I do not like especially because it feels a bit anti-thematic. Your heroes spotted a large force of enemies but they are staying behind taking their time, preparing equipment, finding allies etc and just then the mad pursuit begins only after they are ready. So that is bad … but luckily there is good as well. This mad pursuit is great and very very thematic. You are laving men behind just to buy time, you need to leave someone to buy you time to get through the river and then with dwindling force you are running towards the safety of the white city.
[General] I do not know if this intentional. This scenario in some sense feels like an much improved version of Conflict at the Carrock. Of course it only fells like this in an approach you have to take to beat it but still there is a strong connection here for me. This in one sense a good thing because you should improve on good concepts and create even better experiences for the players. Nevertheless like with all things improved version sometimes gives you the "been there, done that" felling - yeah it is better … but it is not new. I try not fall into this trap of considering those improvements inferior due to not bringing anything revolutionary - because we need improvements on existing things (and games) to achieve greatness. I will try harder next time when I sit down to play Massing at Osgiliath because at the end of the day as it stands this scenario is amazing on its own.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS