Photo

Dark Heresy: Second Edition - ever likely to happen?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hot damn!

#42 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Oh ye of small Fate. :D

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#43 Saldre

Saldre

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

This is Huge! 

But I will reserve any judgement until such time where I've read it. So in about ten minutes.

On the other hand, this is still a first step- and I will be sure to contribute extensively to the Beta. 

Does anyone how much player input affected the Only War Beta?

Edit- though its a shame there isn't some sort of discount for the Hardcover copy :P I guess its 20$ for a chance to contribute at a better game. 

Edited by Saldre, 24 July 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#44 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

So nice to be able to finally talk about this! Watching all the "Is Dark Heresy dead?/Will there be a second edition?" threads for the past few months has been a nightmare.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#45 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

I have to say that this looks very, very interesting and I'll be sure to get my grubby little hands on this book as soon as it gets out. I'm sure to get this goodie to myself as soon as possible. 

What I can say is that I am actually a little sad that we are leaving the Calixis Sector for a new setting. Calixis seems so close to me right now that I think I will miss it. Hopefully this new sector will however be close to Calixis so that we can have games played in both without to much hazzle.

#46 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

There's nothing stopping you from using the new rules to play Calixis games. I'm not sure how the rules will be changed, but it seems like most of the combat stuff is gonna be taken from Only War/Black Crusade.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#47 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

There's nothing stopping you from using the new rules to play Calixis games. I'm not sure how the rules will be changed, but it seems like most of the combat stuff is gonna be taken from Only War/Black Crusade.

It's not. This isn't a new iteration of the existing rules. The combat rules are almost completely different and are not taken from BC/OW.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#48 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

A friend of mine just bought the Beta download. Sounds like it's going to be a complete re-write, not just an update. Here's my friend's summary:

• Same scale as DH1.0 (400 xp per session)
  • Ranks go to 10 but the XP land about half way through DH1.0 rank 12 (we would be considered half way through rank 5
  • Characteristic advances are costed based on the characteristics current bonus (current bonus x base cost). So if have a BS 32 (bonus of 3) and you are buying a BS advance, where the base cost is 100, than is would cost 300xp. Your next advance would also cost 300 xp, but the third one would cost 400xp (because your BS would be 42). You can increase any characteristic a number of times equal to your rank--Yes, rank 10 characters can buy a characteristic bonus up to +50!!)
  • Skill bonuses are based on the current rank of the skill (first time buying a skill gives you rank one). The cost of a skill is (base cost x rank purchased). So if you were buying Dodge rank 3 and the base cost was 150, it would cost 450xp.
  • Generating Characteristics is 2d10+25. There is a new characteristic--Influence
  • Character creation stages are: Home World, Background, and Role
  • Home World (Feral, Forge, Highborn, Hive, Shrine, Voidborn) grants characteristic bonus/penalty, fate points, an ability/trait, and a mental trauma
  • Background (Administratum, Arbites, Telepathica, Mechanicus, Minitorum, Imperial Guard, Outcast) grants starting skills, talents, equipment, an ability/trait, and a malignancy
  • Role (Assassin, chiurgin, Deserado, Heirophant, Mystic, Sage, Seeker, Warrior) grants a special ability, base characteristic costs and a VERY SHORT skill advancement list... like 20 items.
  • ALL lore skills are wrapped into one skill called Remembrance. But Common, Scholastic, and Forbidden lore are three different uses of the skill, having different base characteristics (Per, Int, WP respectively). Other skills are also bundled into "super" skills where the "sub" uses can be based on different characteristics.
  • MANY more detailed weapon qualities, better fleshed out.
  • DIFFERENT damage scale--all (most) weapons have new stats!?!? As is armor!! (ie lower damage, lower AV)
  • Mechanics are different here too. Weapons have a single ROF (again, lower), but that is *per* Action Point spent to fire the weapon.
  • Items can be damaged, and there is a chart to resolve the effects. You need to track status level of equipment (from 0 to 3)
  • Cybernetics seem simplified, but better laid out.
  • VERY detailed vehicle and mounted combat
  • Psionics: 45 psychic powers, 5 disciplines, no minor powers. Each discipline has its own unique perils of the warp chart--and there is not a second chart to roll on.
  • Combat: Each player gets 4 AP to spend per turn. So a weapon with an ROF of 2 can fire twice per AP spent (some weapons have and RoF of 1/2 or 1/3!!). This works for ranged and melee. Types of actions are very similar to DH1.0 (Attack, Move, Utility, Reaction, Extended, and Free)
  • Your fatigue level is compared to the characteristic bonuses. Any that are lower than your fatigue level are considered fatigued. If you perform an action based on a characteristic that is fatigued, you must spend an additional Action Point to perform it. 
  • Damage: It seems like it will be easier to increase Toughness, so the lower armor values should actually offset each other to a degree. A longer list of Damage conditions. Still have the multi-page crit tables, by location, by damage type.

So, not compatable with anything that has come before, I'm guessing...?

#49 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

Its true that I can still put the games in the Calixis Sector, provided that I will do a ton of work to upgrade various different Calixis-specific things to the new rule system. And by the sound of it, the new system is very, very different.

#50 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

Gurkhal, could you explain which Calixis stuff you'd have to update to make it fit? Supplement stuff, sure, but most of the things are pretty much the same fluff wise, it's the rules for how the game is played that's changed. 

#51 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

Gurkhal, could you explain which Calixis stuff you'd have to update to make it fit? Supplement stuff, sure, but most of the things are pretty much the same fluff wise, it's the rules for how the game is played that's changed. 

That exactly what I mean! The fluff may remain but if I want to play in the Calixis Sector there will be a whole load of things I need to convert over to an entire new rule system. It drags me down with doing work that I normally pay a good number of bucks to have other people at FFG do for me.  

#52 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

I was really expecting something along the lines of an amalgamation of the existing Dark Heresy rules and those from Only War.  This is something significantly different than what people seemed interested in seeing from the posts on the forums.

The lack of strong compatibility between what is currently on the market and the new edition is particularly annoying when I look at the almost $1500 I have invested in both hard copies and PDFs just for DH alone.  This sort of "strategy" is one which can, and has, alienated customers from continuing to support a product line.

To be fair, though, I do like some of the changes to parts of the system.  However, the system seems much more "clunky" rather than being easier to work with over the older mechanics.  Perhaps that just comes from familiarity.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS