Photo

Dark Heresy: Second Edition - ever likely to happen?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Tetsugaku-San said:

That doesn't make any sense, no new stuff would ever be released otherwise. FF know that a new rulebook, for their largest 40K RPG would sell, and would sell well, they don't need to wait for sales of the core rulebook to drop to literally 0.

What N0-1_H3r3 said. Sales don't have to drop to 0, but they do have to drop. They aren't going to release a new edition until the current one is no longer worth their while. A new edition is an expensive and risky undertaking.

That isn't to say that a new edition isn't possible - I'm guessing DH sales aren't anything like they used to be and a new edition could give it a huge boost - but every time you buy a supplement for the current version you're sending FFG a message saying "keep up the good work, I'm happy to continue buying DH material in its current format!!!"

#22 Tetsugaku-San

Tetsugaku-San

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

macd21 said:

That isn't to say that a new edition isn't possible - I'm guessing DH sales aren't anything like they used to be and a new edition could give it a huge boost - but every time you buy a supplement for the current version you're sending FFG a message saying "keep up the good work, I'm happy to continue buying DH material in its current format!!!"

Which is exactly why I'm here raising the issue and seeing what other players say :) I own both he original and a paid for PDF and I'd go buy both of them again right now if 1.5 was released.

Do FF staff listen in actively to these forums?

#23 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

I know I wouldn't want a new edition, as it would use the new BC style rules, which introduced various changes that I don't like.

I havestarted on a project of my own to create my own "perfect" version of the 40k RPG rules, mostly just clarifying various things that were not terribly well phrased and making some (mostly very minor) changes. If they released that version as a 2nd edition then yes, I could go for that…

#24 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

Tetsugaku-San said:

Not as much as they listen to the distributors ordering supplements of the current edition.

#25 HeavensThunderHammer

HeavensThunderHammer

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

macd21 said:

Tetsugaku-San said:

Not as much as they listen to the distributors ordering supplements of the current edition.

QFT.

#26 Tetsugaku-San

Tetsugaku-San

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

macd21 said:

Um, I'lls ay it again just in case you missed it - but I don't want a new edition that stops the supporting books to become useless or need changing in any way, just a newer, better written, 1.5 version.

It would stimulate sales of the supporting books, not decrease them.

#27 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Tetsugaku-San said:

Um, I'lls ay it again just in case you missed it - but I don't want a new edition that stops the supporting books to become useless or need changing in any way, just a newer, better written, 1.5 version.

Amen!

#28 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Tetsugaku-San said:

Again, it doesn't matter. You won't get a 1.5 edition until sales of the current one dry up to the point that it is no longer worth FFG's time to publish them. And one of the goals of a new version (whether 1.5 or 2) would be to allow them to release new versions of the support books with updated stats.

#29 Tetsugaku-San

Tetsugaku-San

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

macd21 said:

Again, it doesn't matter. You won't get a 1.5 edition until sales of the current one dry up to the point that it is no longer worth FFG's time to publish them. And one of the goals of a new version (whether 1.5 or 2) would be to allow them to release new versions of the support books with updated stats.

Well then, again I'll say that this

"You won't get a 1.5 edition until sales of the current one dry up"

Has no basis in reality, "dry up" meaning what, no sales at all, or just less or what?

And this:

"And one of the goals of a new version (whether 1.5 or 2) would be to allow them to release new versions of the support books with updated stats."

Is totally putting your thoughts into someone else, you have no idea that this is the case. It could be one of the goals yes, equally the goal could be to reinvigorate their oldest 40K line with new players who would be likely to pic  up some of the really quite large back catalogue, a back catalogue that requires no writing and editing, therefore is costing FF no money.

#30 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Tetsugaku-San said:

macd21 said:

Well then, again I'll say that this

"You won't get a 1.5 edition until sales of the current one dry up"

Has no basis in reality, "dry up" meaning what, no sales at all, or just less or what?

And this:

"And one of the goals of a new version (whether 1.5 or 2) would be to allow them to release new versions of the support books with updated stats."

Is totally putting your thoughts into someone else, you have no idea that this is the case. It could be one of the goals yes, equally the goal could be to reinvigorate their oldest 40K line with new players who would be likely to pic  up some of the really quite large back catalogue, a back catalogue that requires no writing and editing, therefore is costing FF no money.

FFG are a company. They want to make money. There are certain tried and tested ways of making money in the RPG industry - certain things that work and certain things that don't. The creation of new editions (or '.5' editions) is one of them.

Sales will eventually drop to the point that it is no longer worth their while publishing them. That is what I refer to when I say 'dry up' - I think I made that quite clear. DH hasn't quite reached that point yet, but eventually it will. At which point FFG will either stop making the game entirely or else release a new edition.

And no, releasing a 1.5 to 'reinvigorate' sales of the old supplements doesn't work. Those sales have already been made for the most part. While releasing a new version might bump up interest in the older products it wouldn't be enough to justify the cost of new print runs. Instead they will use the increased interest in the game to support entirely new supplements (many of which can be old products with a fresh coat of paint). This allows them to sell to both old and new customers.

#31 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

macd21 said:

Had sales of the 3rd Edition D&D rulebook 'dried up' before they published 3.5? I could be wrong, but my impression was that WotC came out with the corrected/updated 3.5 rulebook because they were worried that all the glitched in 3.0 might hurt the long-term survivability of the system- which is also a potential problem for DH.

#32 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Adeptus-B said:

Had sales of the 3rd Edition D&D rulebook 'dried up' before they published 3.5? I could be wrong, but my impression was that WotC came out with the corrected/updated 3.5 rulebook because they were worried that all the glitched in 3.0 might hurt the long-term survivability of the system- which is also a potential problem for DH.

???

DnD 3.0 published in 2000

DnD 3.5 Published 2003

I think DH is out of that ball park since it is in year five.

#33 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:23 AM

ItsUncertainWho said:

I think DH is out of that ball park since it is in year five.

Well, DH has lower sales than D&D did during the big WotC re-launch, so a direct year-per-year comparason doesn't really work. The larger point is that I don't see how having the game system dependant on a rulebook that is widely known to be error-filled can not be having a detrimental effect on long-term sales.

#34 ckenp

ckenp

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Revising an existing RPG is a tricky business. If they don't change enough then the question is, "Why?" If they change too much they risk losing part of their customer base. It's also an expensive product. What would they have to do to get people who have already spent a small fortune on books to spend more? I think this is why they expand outward (Black Crusade, Only War, etc) and haven't made new versions of Dark Heresy. I would love to see them come up with more bargain options, such as bundlepacks, softcover versions, etc. Not in place of the gorgeous hardbound books, but as an option to expand their customer base.

#35 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

Adeptus-B said:

Had sales of the 3rd Edition D&D rulebook 'dried up' before they published 3.5?

Yes. Or rather they were dropping quickly. I think they could probably have had worthwhile sales for a while longer, but they weren't satisfied with the numbers they had.

Adeptus-B said:

I could be wrong, but my impression was that WotC came out with the corrected/updated 3.5 rulebook because they were worried that all the glitched in 3.0 might hurt the long-term survivability of the system- which is also a potential problem for DH.

No. The purpose of the .5 edition of DnD was not to fix the glitches in 3.0, but to justify the re-release of the corebooks and the introduction of 'new' supplements. The changes were pretty small, while at the same time there were enough of them to force people to buy the books again if they wanted to be compatible with the new material. The company didn't fear that the 'long-term survivability of the system' was at risk from the issues that were changed - that simply wasn't an issue or a consideration. What mattered was the number of orders they were getting from distributors, which had started to drop.

Adeptus-B said:

Well, DH has lower sales than D&D did during the big WotC re-launch, so a direct year-per-year comparason doesn't really work. The larger point is that I don't see how having the game system dependant on a rulebook that is widely known to be error-filled can not be having a detrimental effect on long-term sales.

Long-term sales? As has been pointed out Dark Heresy has already been around for 5 years. That is long term sales as far as an RPG is concerned.

An RPG is going to succeed or fail in its first two years. If it is still around in year 3 then it is a success, but its glory days are behind it. Sales drop through the floor at this point. But if you've had a good two years then you've probably built up enough of a fanbase that you can continue to publish supplements and expect them to turn a profit. Not a huge profit, mind you, but generally enough (what is 'enough' varies from company to company) to justify one or two supplements a year. However this level of sales isn't enough to justify much else (such as an updated '1.1' edition of the rules). It doesn't matter at this point if a system is 'error-filled' at this point because you've already secured your fanbase (if it mattered to them that much they would have stopped buying your products ages ago) and you aren't attracting much in the way of new customers anyway.

What happened with DnD 3 was that WotC decided that they couldn't be bothered doing this. They'd already been working on 3.5 since the release of 3.0 so they decided to release it a little early. Again, it wasn't really about fixing anything (they ignored far more issues than they fixed), it was just about setting the clock back to zero and releasing the core material again.

Usually after 4-6 years the number of sales will have dropped to the point that even one or two supplements a year isn't worth it (there are some companies that keep releasing material after this point, but they aren't really doing it for profit). Once you get to that point a company will usually release a new edition or else drop the game entirely.

#36 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

Just found this:

www.rpg.net/columns/oneshot/oneshot20.phtml

#37 andrewm9

andrewm9

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

macd21 said:

Adeptus-B said:

Had sales of the 3rd Edition D&D rulebook 'dried up' before they published 3.5?

Yes. Or rather they were dropping quickly. I think they could probably have had worthwhile sales for a while longer, but they weren't satisfied with the numbers they had.

Adeptus-B said:

I could be wrong, but my impression was that WotC came out with the corrected/updated 3.5 rulebook because they were worried that all the glitched in 3.0 might hurt the long-term survivability of the system- which is also a potential problem for DH.

No. The purpose of the .5 edition of DnD was not to fix the glitches in 3.0, but to justify the re-release of the corebooks and the introduction of 'new' supplements. The changes were pretty small, while at the same time there were enough of them to force people to buy the books again if they wanted to be compatible with the new material. The company didn't fear that the 'long-term survivability of the system' was at risk from the issues that were changed - that simply wasn't an issue or a consideration. What mattered was the number of orders they were getting from distributors, which had started to drop.

Adeptus-B said:

Long-term sales? As has been pointed out Dark Heresy has already been around for 5 years. That is long term sales as far as an RPG is concerned.

An RPG is going to succeed or fail in its first two years. If it is still around in year 3 then it is a success, but its glory days are behind it. Sales drop through the floor at this point. But if you've had a good two years then you've probably built up enough of a fanbase that you can continue to publish supplements and expect them to turn a profit. Not a huge profit, mind you, but generally enough (what is 'enough' varies from company to company) to justify one or two supplements a year. However this level of sales isn't enough to justify much else (such as an updated '1.1' edition of the rules). It doesn't matter at this point if a system is 'error-filled' at this point because you've already secured your fanbase (if it mattered to them that much they would have stopped buying your products ages ago) and you aren't attracting much in the way of new customers anyway.

What happened with DnD 3 was that WotC decided that they couldn't be bothered doing this. They'd already been working on 3.5 since the release of 3.0 so they decided to release it a little early. Again, it wasn't really about fixing anything (they ignored far more issues than they fixed), it was just about setting the clock back to zero and releasing the core material again.

Usually after 4-6 years the number of sales will have dropped to the point that even one or two supplements a year isn't worth it (there are some companies that keep releasing material after this point, but they aren't really doing it for profit). Once you get to that point a company will usually release a new edition or else drop the game entirely.

Thats quite interesting to read. How did you come up with that information? As I recall AD&D (1st Ed or whatever) lasted quite a bit longer than 4 years and 2nd edition was around fo rlike 5 or so years before 3rd came out

#38 Algus

Algus

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

AD&D 1E was in print for nearly two decades before AD&D 2E came along.  I think a 2E of Dark Heresy is inevitable unless FFG loses the license and this game system/universe is shuttered.   Will it come soon? Maybe, but comparing it to other game lines and what has worked for them isn't likely to work.  Most companies are different.  Many of White Wolf's games went through two or three iterations over a ten year time period with each new edition updating the metaplot.   Different companies do different things.  I'm sure that if FFG thinks a Dark Heresy 2E will sell well, they will do it, sooner rather than later.

#39 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

andrewm9 said:

Thats quite interesting to read. How did you come up with that information?

Discussions over the years with various people in the industry. You can also see it through simple observation of RPG releases.

andrewm9 said:

As I recall AD&D (1st Ed or whatever) lasted quite a bit longer than 4 years and 2nd edition was around fo rlike 5 or so years before 3rd came out

AD&D 1 was the most popular RPG at the height of RPG's popularity. This allowed it to sustain itself far longer than is the case today. TSR probably would have made more money had they released more editions at the time, but the company was very poorly managed. 2nd ed was released in '89 and likewise shouldn't have lasted as long as it did, but TSR didn't really understand how the market worked. They eventually tried to release a '2.5' edition (skills and powers) in an attempt to revitalise the line, but it was too little too late.

They heyday of the RPG industry is well behind us. Even DnD can't survive for more than a couple of years without a new edition. Different companies have tried different methods to increase the time between editions, but none have been very successful. Companies that don't depend on RPGs for their income (White Wolf, GURPS) can afford to extend the lifespan of the games, but it doesn't change the amount of income from them.

#40 Tetsugaku-San

Tetsugaku-San

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Bam - told you :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS