Honour the Chapter page count??

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

While I'll agree that adventures have less of a place in books like First Founding, I heartily enjoyed The Emperor Protects. Plus, published adventure modules can really help a novice GM get on their feet.

#142 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

UncleArkie said:

I finally got my hands on it today, skimming through it I can't help but think that this would have been better if they had killed the adventure in FF and rolled both books into one RoB sized book

Given how long ago FF was written, I doubt that would have been possible.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#143 UncleArkie

UncleArkie

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

H.B.M.C. said:

Given how long ago FF was written, I doubt that would have been possible.

BYE

Sure for this publication, but it's really just a question of logistics. Man-hours went into Rising Tempest, Jericho Reach and Achillus Assault in between the two. Move the man hours around and you could do it easily, actually I think the two books would have benefitted from being written back to back giving each writer more time and space to delve into the origin of each first founding chapter and better transitions into information about its successors. Right now parts of the background get's told twice, or trice even. It's rewritten for the purpose and thats not really needed if you own First Founding, but if you don't and buy Honour the Chapter on it's own then you need the data, only having to write it once would save a lot of pages.

Also it would mean decorative pages per page of content, right now there are 4 pages used on decoration for relics, that could be cut down to 2, same goes for the introduction to the book, the credits,. tables of content, grime pages and so on can be cut in half saving art-work, pages and so, not to mention colour hardcovers. This all costs a lot of money that could be spent adding content pages, more advanced specialities, more background fluff act even if it only is 8-10 pages worth. I think that's my main gripe with FFG, bad logistics when it comes to doing disp's for their publications.

#144 Vergaul

Vergaul

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

Work in publishing much, Arkie?

#145 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

UncleArkie said:

Sure for this publication, but it's really just a question of logistics. Man-hours went into Rising Tempest, Jericho Reach and Achillus Assault in between the two. Move the man hours around and you could do it easily, actually I think the two books would have benefitted from being written back to back giving each writer more time and space to delve into the origin of each first founding chapter and better transitions into information about its successors.

This assumes that Honour Chapter was even planned when First Founding was being written.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#146 UncleArkie

UncleArkie

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Vergaul said:

Work in publishing much, Arkie?

Indeed, I'm a graphic designer. As for the the publishing plan I hope that the logistics for the line is planned at least 2 years in advance, so yes First Founding and Honour the Chapter were probably conceived at the same meeting.

#147 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Deathwatch certainly is a strange roleplay game, we're up to 3 players guides. I pressume the average group has got through about 5 games each. I'm a big fan of completion though, but this alone is a good reason to release as much material about character generation early in the games life cycle.

Currently there seems to be 3 levels of chapters rules so far; Successor chapter level, Standard chapter level (as per original rules) and advanced chapter level with rank 3 solo modes etc.

There's obviously a lot of contention as to who get's what already. That's to be expected but to be honest upgrading from succesor to standard isn't that difficult and you can fit a lot more in. I wish they had different stat advances with successors though as now the standard rules for those chapters that were successors seem overly constrained.

#148 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Captain Ventris said:

They have their own Primarch's Curse, squad mode abilities, Chapter Trapping, Advance Table, characteristic modifications… they have a complete write-up like the Blood Angels or Ultramarines.

Very Cool

I will have to get this.  Now a question do they still have access to Blood Angels stuff, or are they cut off?

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS