• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

SolennelBern,

That is sad... :(   My colleague, his girlfriend, and I will make this a regular part of our gaming diet.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#22 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

SolennelBern,

That is sad... :(   My colleague, his girlfriend, and I will make this a regular part of our gaming diet.

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah it's just that I can regularly play with 1 or 2 friends...rarely 3+ (kids, stuff, life, etc) and buying a game that clearly not meant to be played under 6 players without making "house rule" adjustements is not the best of moves.

I bought Rex soon after it was released thinking it would give me kind of a TI3 fix when I need some tense space politic gameplay but playing under the max count of players was so boring and clearly not meant to play that way, even though the box says otherwise...

#23 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

SolennelBern,

Finding three players can be a challenge.  I will say that the individual who made the Drive Thru Review of the game is not convinced (nor am I) that the game breaks with fewer people.  Instead, the only thing I found a bit peculiar is that  House Baratheon starts a bit stronger than the other Houses, and is well-positioned to take King's Landing on the first turn.  I feel as though that should be a more difficult location to win.  Coupled with the fact that House Baratheon starts with the Iron Throne, only early bidding will change the tenor of the game.  As a war-game play-tester and developer, I don't like "Rubik's Cube" games, whereby one merely needs to 'solve' the game and no matter what happens during play, if you DO this or DON'T DO that, one side MUST win or MUST lose.  While it's not that extreme, it is an area of much discussion and we'll probably house-rule House Baratheon's starting units on DragonStone as either an Infantry unit or a Knight.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 21 May 2014 - 09:40 AM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS