Jump to content



Photo

Gather Your Party (new preview)


  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

 I'm sure there'll still be plenty of combinations of dungeon tiles that are not covered by the quest guide that can be used for fan-created maps.



#42 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Mestari said:

 

True, but that also means less choices for future custom scenarios, less variety.

This is true, and it may well end up being a sore point about 2e for some people.

Personally, I don't have as much time for custom scenarios as I used to, so I don't think this particular detail will impact my enjoyment of the game very much.  There's 37 maps in the 2e base box, with an average of 2 maps per "quest."  Even so, looking at the breakdown in the new preview article, there's almost double the number of "quests" as were included in the 1e base box.  Plus, I've already earmarked the idea of making the old 1e quests playable with 2e rules as a homebrew project, so between that and what comes in the 2e base box, I expect I'll get more than my money's worth out of these tiles.

YMMV, of course.



#43 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

    Member

  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Finaly we get to see a 1st preview - still it's a shame that we had to wait sooooooo long to get it.

It's nice, looks like a good tested product with detailed minis, easy rules and so on. It's also good to see that it will have so many options for heroes and Overlord. The number of quests is impresive. But all that shine will not hide the fact that we still have not got a official release date - summer could also mean August. And the game is still at the printer so it will be a lot itme waiting for it to hit stores. Let's just hope that it will be sooner than later.

The fact that all tiles of the maps have printed obstacles is not good. I always enjoyed that in 1e I could make out of the tiles any dungeon I wanted and pleace elements of terian the way I needed. I will not judge the tiles until I see them but I hope that there will be just a few obstacles to pleace. There should be becouse without obstacles the OL could not play such traps like Spiked Pit.

We are going to wait now what the next week will show us - there should be another preview maybe this time with an update in upcoming section,

Cheers



#44 Jafix

Jafix

    Member

  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

 Well, "game is in the printer", i wouldnt give so much credit to that. Maybe they just didnt update it properly. I hope :)



#45 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

Jafix said:

 Well, "game is in the printer", i wouldnt give so much credit to that. Maybe they just didnt update it properly. I hope :)

I expect that's the case.  Generally speaking, the previews don't start until the game is almost on shelves.  Should be available in a month or two if everything follows true to form.



#46 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

    Member

  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Taht would not be the first time when the game is not updated correctly in upcoming section. I remeber that there were titles that hit to shipping now and were not on the boat becouse they were not updated in time. I hope you are right Steve-O and the game is just not updated and is on it's way. maybe we will see it in June.



#47 Encryptus

Encryptus

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

Yay! We just had a nice Dungeon Crawling Descent session yesterday. Still my fav. game. So with the update I'm even burning brighter for the 2nd edition.

I'm as well curious about the missing obstacle props. As an experienced OL, it didn't took me a lot of time to setup a new area (I'm preparing little piles of props for the next area to be revealed) and I would miss the props to customize in case I had the feeling to do so.

Looking to the new miniatures, I have the feeling they are quite polished and detailed. Hope this will be the case for the final factory versions as well (some hero faces of the e1 were quite "squishy").

Really looking forward to the new "hero class system". I like the idea of specialization in 4 major and then sub classes. This gives more personality to the hero I guess. I like the idea of seeing my hero grow in the direction I want him/her to be.

On the downside:
Our gaming group will now have to wait for release of 2e because I guess it does not make sense to start a new campaign (old one is finished) for us as our campaigns are normally taking at least 2 quarter...



#48 Pete C

Pete C

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in the original Descent you had to play all 4 heroes + 1 overlord even if you had less than 5 players available. Players would have to double-up on heroes. However, in the picture for the First Blood setup, I only see 1 overlord and 3 heroes. Does that mean 2e will not require 4 heroes to be in play?



#49 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Pete C said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in the original Descent you had to play all 4 heroes + 1 overlord even if you had less than 5 players available. Players would have to double-up on heroes. However, in the picture for the First Blood setup, I only see 1 overlord and 3 heroes. Does that mean 2e will not require 4 heroes to be in play?

Yep, you're not correct, sorry. In fact, monster reference cards offered different statistics for each monster type, according to the number of players playing the game (ranging from 2 to 5, being one of those always the overlord player)

No idea on the second edition, though.


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#50 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Julia said:

Pete C said:

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in the original Descent you had to play all 4 heroes + 1 overlord even if you had less than 5 players available. Players would have to double-up on heroes. However, in the picture for the First Blood setup, I only see 1 overlord and 3 heroes. Does that mean 2e will not require 4 heroes to be in play?

 

 

Yep, you're not correct, sorry. In fact, monster reference cards offered different statistics for each monster type, according to the number of players playing the game (ranging from 2 to 5, being one of those always the overlord player)

No idea on the second edition, though.

 

Minimum 2 heroes though. The only things that changed for the OL was that every monster would get an extra wound per hero above 2 and the OL would receive 1 threat token per hero.

 

The RTL/SoB campaigns would need all 4 heroes though.



#51 Pete C

Pete C

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

 Ok, the video I watched was of Road to Legend, so there is my confusion.



#52 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Columbob said:

Minimum 2 heroes though. The only things that changed for the OL was that every monster would get an extra wound per hero above 2 and the OL would receive 1 threat token per hero.

The RTL/SoB campaigns would need all 4 heroes though.

Good to know! Thanks for the additional info!


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#53 Unclechawie

Unclechawie

    Member

  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

Hope they balanced it a little more to be able to play with less than the full compliment of heros as it seems they might have.



#54 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

Unclechawie said:

Hope they balanced it a little more to be able to play with less than the full compliment of heros as it seems they might have.

I keep seeing people say this but I haven't seen any reason *why* people keep saying this.

I'm sure when 1st Edition was released FFG *thought* that they had balanced it properly for all numbers of players.  Why should they be more reliable for 2nd Edition?



#55 Titeman

Titeman

    Member

  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Bleached Lizard said:

Unclechawie said:

 

Hope they balanced it a little more to be able to play with less than the full compliment of heros as it seems they might have.

 

 

I keep seeing people say this but I haven't seen any reason *why* people keep saying this.

I'm sure when 1st Edition was released FFG *thought* that they had balanced it properly for all numbers of players.  Why should they be more reliable for 2nd Edition?

Experience?...


--------------------------------------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

#56 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Titeman said:

Bleached Lizard said:

 

Unclechawie said:

 

Hope they balanced it a little more to be able to play with less than the full compliment of heros as it seems they might have.

 

 

I keep seeing people say this but I haven't seen any reason *why* people keep saying this.

I'm sure when 1st Edition was released FFG *thought* that they had balanced it properly for all numbers of players.  Why should they be more reliable for 2nd Edition?

 

 

Experience?...

That's still being quite hopeful, though.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS