Gather Your Party (new preview)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Archeantus7

Archeantus7

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

I'm curious as to what those tokens are for next to the OL's cards. The players seem to have something similar.

#22 Ignatz_Von_Zwakh

Ignatz_Von_Zwakh

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:07 AM

Ooooo, Imma psyched. The first ed of this was on my buy list, but with this coming up....  :)

#23 RedcrossReborn

RedcrossReborn

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

I wonder if the Road to Legend will be nullified by the 2ed Campaign rules.

#24 Columbob

Columbob

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

Sausageman said:

My guess is the others are indeed a Goblin Archer and a Goblin Shaman, with a wolf being the final figure (Goblins and wolves go together all the time - though they usually ride them...  :))

Looks pretty tall for a goblin shaman.

RedcrossReborn said:

I wonder if the Road to Legend will be nullified by the 2ed Campaign rules.

Most definitely. The only things used from First Edition will be the plastic bits (minis) if you buy the conversion kit.

#25 Hadoken

Hadoken

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Archeantus7 said:

I'm curious as to what those tokens are for next to the OL's cards. The players seem to have something similar.

Looks like trap card for me...

Maybe for the Overlord's saboteur class ?

#26 Graf

Graf

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Sly said:

Did anyone see a hint of gold somewhere? How do we handle starting equipment without gold. Somebody kind of point buy?

As there are nearly no equipment cards visible on the picture – maybe the starting equipment is covered within the heroes' stats?

Or maybe you draw only one equipment card at the start of the game and have to find more gear in the dungeons? Looks like the heroes will carry less stuff in second edition – sounds like "streamlined rules"...

#27 Royaldoy

Royaldoy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Sausageman said:

HighHanded said:

What could those monsters be?

A two headed giant of some sort?

It's an Ettin - "First Blood pits the heroes against a rampaging ettin (a man-eating, two-headed giant) and his goblin minions"

My guess is the others are indeed a Goblin Archer and a Goblin Shaman, with a wolf being the final figure (Goblins and wolves go together all the time - though they usually ride them...  :))

Overall, I think the minis look good, nicely detailed.  Hope the larger bases are actually flat this time...

Going by this preview, I'd say the date of late April/early May that was floated is probably inaccurate, but not by much - I reckon we can expect it late May/early June....

That would be groovy.

Hopefully it will be an Origins release as I will be there. *crosses fingers

#28 Mikeydev

Mikeydev

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

I remember playing road to legend when it was first published and my group having a blast with it.  

Then D&D 4th edition came out and we started ploughing our way through the first published adventures.  I have to say it but after Descent all I could think about was how a like the two system played.  Except with Descent you had everything you needed to play, Miniatures, Dice, Cards and no monthly subscription.

After playing through the first D&D published adventure I had what could only be classed a major DM burnout.  I've tried the two D&D boardgames (Ravenloft & Wrath) but still class Descent as the best dungeon crawl game out there.  

This is going to be a day one purchase + the conversion kit.

For now I will continue playing though the main adventures in the Hero Quest game we have going.  Please don't make it a slow ship from China.... 

#29 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Archeantus7 said:

They look like status effect tokens and their corresponding cards.

#30 Hadoken

Hadoken

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Bleached Lizard said:

Archeantus7 said:

They look like status effect tokens and their corresponding cards.

ah yes ! i think you got it !

#31 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

And the crowd goes wild!  Myself included!  I'm slightly disappointed that there were so few cards displayed here, but ah, well.  I had been planning to buy this before, and the preview has done nothing but confirm that decision.

Also: "A Fat Goblin"?  That's...completely ridiculous...and yet somehow strangely compelling.

#32 Snibe

Snibe

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

I have to agree that this is looking extremely "must buy" like.  From the bit of preview we've now been able to see, I only want it more.  Visually terrific, and some of the new elements definitely seem to be on the right track.  I love 1e of this already, but this looks great.  Can't wait to see and learn more about this!

#33 Mcmanus

Mcmanus

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Can't wait!

We didn't have release date yet, right?

#34 Mordjinn

Mordjinn

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

Finally some info. I'm really liking what I see so far. A campaign right out the box with different possible outcomes depending on what happens during the quests. Very cool that the heroes are not killed in the campaign or at least I hope that they're just disabled and can continue the adventure even if they lose one quest on total party "kill". The amazing thing about the campaign system is also that it will be really easy to create similar expansions based on the core box material only. Yay! I'm also really liking the playing time estimations as the 5h+ Descent games were way too long for our gaming group.

My big big BIG wish is that the power curve of the game isn't as steep as it was in the 1st edition. The heroes went from zero to superhero in couple of rooms and gold treasures. With longer power curve the players get the feel of a character much better and even small power gains feel rewarding. I can't imagine that FFG would do the "in the beginning of every quest you've drank and partied all your gold and magic items" approach to the 2nd edition campaign. If they have I'm disappointed big time.

#35 Madmartigan

Madmartigan

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

It just says "summer".

"Everything will be alright, once we get to Tir Asleen."

#36 Graf

Graf

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

There are no obstacles on the pictures so far. I really hope they didn't repealed obstacle tokens like rubble or pits. 

#37 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Graf said:

There are no obstacles on the pictures so far. I really hope they didn't repealed obstacle tokens like rubble or pits. 

It seems to be generally accepted now that any obstacles will be printed directly on the tiles.

#38 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Graf said:

There may be a few such tokens, but based on the component counts I've heard, it doesn't sound like there are nearly as many tokens with this game as with 1e.  Adding in hearts, fatigue and all the other non-obstacle tokens one expect there must be, it doesn't look good.

I don't mind that so much, as long as it's easy to find the tile I need when building a map.  No individual tokens all over the place means quicker set up time, and that means quicker overall play time.

#39 Mestari

Mestari

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

Steve-O said:

I don't mind that so much, as long as it's easy to find the tile I need when building a map.  No individual tokens all over the place means quicker set up time, and that means quicker overall play time.

True, but that also means less choices for future custom scenarios, less variety.

I hope FFG will publish play-tested quest compendium for that edition too...

#40 Flixster

Flixster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

Mestari said:

True, but that also means less choices for future custom scenarios, less variety.

This.  Custom maps are where my group has the most fun.  I suppose I could just use the 1e tiles...  Meh.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS