War Movies for inspiration

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. 

#42 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Any war film is almost inexhaustible source of inspiration (I still dont understand how can anybody claim, that there are no possibilities for roleplaying in Only War..), writers are using it already, I am not sure if it was in Achillus Assault or Jericho Reach, but there is self-explaining mission hint named "Guns of Samech", what about the sequel, "Force 10 from Samech"? 

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#43 Huros

Huros

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

Guns of Navarone

Where Eagles dare

Dirty dozen 

Inglorious Basterds

Galipolli

#44 Drake56

Drake56

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Heart break ridge definatly "that is the sound of an ork shoota, the prefered weapon of our enemy"

sharpe

zulu

starship troopers

a bridge to far

#45 mrady

mrady

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

Zakalwe said:

Starship Troopers.  That's the first thing I thought of when I saw that this has been announced. With gems like these how can you resist?

"We must meet this threat with our courage, our valor, indeed with our very lives to ensure that human civilization, not insect, dominates this galaxy *now and always*!"

"These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself. Welcome to the Roughnecks "

http://www.imdb.com/...t0120201/quotes 

Also a very good book incidentally.

The movie is more IG but the book is a little more SM

#46 htsmithium

htsmithium

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

well i just got done watching "The Hatfields and McCoys"  i think it would make for an interesting campain setting. two regements( families) who find themselves in the same warzones over and over again, and as time goes by the friendly rivalry that developed into mutual respect, degrades into all out interregemental warfare, complete with officer assasinations and sabatoge and what not.

ding dong mala mortuus est,

quem veteres strigam

impii strigam

ding dong impiorum strigam mortuus est.

#47 The Russian

The Russian

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

htsmithium said:

well i just got done watching "The Hatfields and McCoys"  i think it would make for an interesting campain setting. two regements( families) who find themselves in the same warzones over and over again, and as time goes by the friendly rivalry that developed into mutual respect, degrades into all out interregemental warfare, complete with officer assasinations and sabatoge and what not.

I can only Imagine what the Imperium would do when they found out.

#48 CapitolImperialis

CapitolImperialis

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

Hmm, I'd think Saving Private Ryan and A Bridge too Far might be some good ones to watch.

#49 fenris357

fenris357

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

BLACKHAWK DOWN for how things can get ****** up so bad so fast 

THE HILLS HAVE EYES  for mutant hunting fun and games 

WHEELS OF TERROR AND THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE for tanker games 

THE LONGEST DAY for planetary assault games way better than shaving ryans privates which is only good for the first 30 minutes and then turns in to mushy nonsense 

MASTER AND COMMANDER, DAS BOOT and TORA TORA TORA for on ship battles 

APOCALYPSE NOW could be a cool run for SF and storm trooper types.

THE DIRTY DOZEN for penal regiments 

GLORY, M*A*S* H and JONNY GOT HIS GUN  for the insanity of war and how to portray the crushing loss of life and how individuals protect themselves from it. 

#50 CapitolImperialis

CapitolImperialis

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

fenris357 said:

TORA TORA TORA

How'd I forget Tora! Tora!? Actually, if you want more fighting/alien killing, Aliens is of course a good bet along with Starship Troopers. In fact, I think I'll watch both when OW comes out.

#51 The Russian

The Russian

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

How about Letters from Iwo Jima? Soldiers holding a rock against someone who wants it and expects all the fanatic zealotry (here IJA = IG) to lay down their lives for it just to kill some enemies before dying. Though how could EVERY soldier buy into that, some want to go home eventually.

#52 H2SO4

H2SO4

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

The Russian said:

How about Letters from Iwo Jima? Soldiers holding a rock against someone who wants it and expects all the fanatic zealotry (here IJA = IG) to lay down their lives for it just to kill some enemies before dying. Though how could EVERY soldier buy into that, some want to go home eventually.

That is exacly what the Commissariat is for.

Those "not buying into it enough", or not making enough of a show of being into it get shot as a warning example to others.

"The floggings continue, until the morale improves", indeed.

Of course, the morale when encircled not really a a problem against most of the imperium's enemies, as against Orks, Necrons, Tyranids and Dark Eldar surrendering is not an option, which would lead to surrounded and cut off forces fighting to the last bullet, knife and drop of blood.

#53 The Russian

The Russian

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

H2SO4 said:

Of course, the morale when encircled not really a a problem against most of the imperium's enemies, as against Orks, Necrons, Tyranids and Dark Eldar surrendering is not an option, which would lead to surrounded and cut off forces fighting to the last bullet, knife and drop of blood.

I don't think surrender is an option with the rest of them when the Commissar is still alive. lol

#54 CapitolImperialis

CapitolImperialis

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

The Russian said:

H2SO4 said:

I don't think surrender is an option with the rest of them when the Commissar is still alive. lol

Considering that most Guardsmen are at least somewhat willingly brainwashed/inducted into Imperial dogma, the amount of Guardsmen that desert/defect/surrender are quite small compared to the rest of the Guard who'd gladly die for the Emperor, Imperium, and humanity if they ever got the chance.

#55 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

The Russian said:

Though how could EVERY soldier buy into that, some want to go home eventually.

Guardsmen seldom get to go home. For most Guardsmen, home is a very long way away indeed. The (legitimate, Emperor-fearing) choices of those Guardsmen tend to be death in service, or demobilisation to settle on a conquered/reconquered world. A few of the officers might go back home, to carry the regimental colours and histories back so that a new regiment can be founded to carry on the traditions, but that varies from culture to culture and circumstance to circumstance.

One of the (IMO) more interesting character moments in the novel Imperial Glory is one of the senior Sergeants explaining that there's likely no-one left on their homeworld that remembers them, because of the time distortions from travel through the Warp… it's been twenty years of war for them, but much, much longer for the people back home.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#56 Woodclaw

Woodclaw

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

As a general rule Guards regiments are all inspired by a mixture of real world military forces (Cadians, Tallarns) and/or fictional military characters (Catachans). As such every good military movie - and even some crappy ones - can be a good inspiration. My personal list includes.

• Black Hawk Down (excellent to show how fast the **** can hit the fan and how the stupidity of the high brass can doom normal soldiers)
  • Enemy at the Gates (sniper duels are a must-have)
  • Dirty Dozen (penal legions)
  • Hamburger Hill
  • The Eagle Has Landed (paras infiltration)
  • Band of Brothers
  • The Enemy Below (for navy based campaigns)
  • Predator (you, your platoon and Mantis… good luck)
  • Redball Express (not so much of movie, but a good picture of what a convoy might experience)

Catachan said:

For early game PCs I'd probably put them though basic training "Full Metal Jacket" style. They were actually playing that movie at the recruitment center when I enlisted, and my drill instructor was more intimidating that I could have ever expected. Sgt. Harman would be a good place to start when coming up with a drill sergeant character.

Perhaps you might want to borrow one of my DH character: drill-commisar Artarius. One of my players (who pplayer the Guard) once gave a comment that sums him up perfectly: "And I thought sgt Hartman was a bastard."

Frankosis said:

People have already mentioned Stalingrad, but I think it deserves special mention for what happens when the PC's squad screws something up in the midst of a war/battle and they become part of a penal squad! This would be a great GM trick to keep in the back of your mind, instead of killing the PCs outright by a overzealous Commissar you have them reassigned. Come to think of it, that also puts them into the Dirty Dozen which I don't think was mentioned. I run my game that people with specialized skills (like the players) are not necessarily expendable fodder and likely have some specific use or mission. I loved the scene where the soldier/prisoners are assigned to clear a minefield. That reminds me of Kelly's Heros, a different type of guard game altogether…

Perhaps not so much. Guardsmen are very close to the bottom tier of the Imperium war effort (the bottom being the PDF). Kelly's Heroes is a good example of the kind of stunts a IG platoon have to pull to stay alive again overwhelming forces. The final part of of thee movie can be easily rebuilt as a IG platoon with a support light tank (a Chimera perhaps) fighting against three Chaos Predators.

CapitolImperialis said:

The Russian said:

H2SO4 said:

Considering that most Guardsmen are at least somewhat willingly brainwashed/inducted into Imperial dogma, the amount of Guardsmen that desert/defect/surrender are quite small compared to the rest of the Guard who'd gladly die for the Emperor, Imperium, and humanity if they ever got the chance.

This largerly depends from the regiment and the commisar. In "His last command" commisar Hark allowed a massive retreat argumenting that men so frightened to ignore both his rank and his plasma pistol were of no use in a battle. Still, after the battle, he looked for the regimental commander and executed him for manifest incapacity at leading his men.

#57 The Russian

The Russian

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

The Russian said:

Though how could EVERY soldier buy into that, some want to go home eventually.

Guardsmen seldom get to go home. For most Guardsmen, home is a very long way away indeed. The (legitimate, Emperor-fearing) choices of those Guardsmen tend to be death in service, or demobilisation to settle on a conquered/reconquered world. A few of the officers might go back home, to carry the regimental colours and histories back so that a new regiment can be founded to carry on the traditions, but that varies from culture to culture and circumstance to circumstance.

One of the (IMO) more interesting character moments in the novel Imperial Glory is one of the senior Sergeants explaining that there's likely no-one left on their homeworld that remembers them, because of the time distortions from travel through the Warp… it's been twenty years of war for them, but much, much longer for the people back home.

True.

#58 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:01 AM

Just strollin gthorugh my DVD/BluRay collection i find ..

300 - for those last man standing fight

Alien - the whole series of course

Apocalypse Now - a classic

The A-Team - clear your name, and keep it clean unlike in the movie/series

Black Hawk Down - We got a Valkyrie down in our case

Doom - secure that facility and keep it safe

Duell: Enemies at the Gate - waves of infantry

Dune - desert warfare, giant worms are optional

Expendables - you are, aren't you soldier Nr. 10187343?

Flags of our Fathers - PR is a *****

Full Metal Jacket - another classic

Green Zone -

Hurt Locker -

Hot Shots 1/2 - come on, just for the laughs

Inglorious Basterds

Operation Kingodm - Find the infidels

One Bridge too far - screw up from high up

Platoon - again a classic

Police Academy - i dare you to make a Cadet Academy pun session

Predator 1 - mud IS a guardsmens best friend

Rambo - pick any of the four movies, all can be used

Stalingrad - gruesome city warfare, hopeles situation

Terminator - Rise of the Necrons

.. and i didn't even knew a few of the other movies mentioned in this threat. time to go shoppin'!

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#59 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Here's a few that I found good and which I thought that I would mention again

Cross of Iron - good Imperial infantry action

Last Batallion - cut of behind enemy lines but holding on

Paths of Glory - for a look at how the Imperial Guard might operate

#60 Tallthulu

Tallthulu

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

9th Company: Russian film about afganistan, comperable to Platoon or FMJ for the USSR, I cannot recommend this one enough (it's on Netflix)

Fight Dirty: Michael Cain movie about WWII, dangerous mission with untrustworthy mercs to destroy a fuel depot hundreds of miles behind enemy lines in north africa.

The Warriors: not military per se, but they are based off a Greek army cut off, far from home. Conider them a broken pdf on a hive world under occupation though…

Last of the Mohicans (movie, the iriquois are light infantry, the redcoats are more pig-headed-die-in-droves types)

Band of Brothers (miniseries)

Bad Company 1&2 (video game, no plan survives contact with the enemy)

Platoon (movie, chain of command broken, divided, and incompetent above squad level)

Tears of the Sun (Storm troopers, chain of command distant but useful)

Aliens (movie, genestealers where copy pasta of this)

Hamburger Hill (movie, the madness of war)

The Patriot (movie, light infantry who fight a superior numbered foe)

Deathwatch (movie on netflix, not related to the rpg, ww1 piece that is a very easy analogue to fighting on a chaos world)

What to do when the guard fights itself over friendly fire or simply not liking one another?

Ciaphas Cain book… two I think.  When two under strength regiments of Valhallans are combined and there are several deaths in a mess hall riot.  Of course his handling of it needs to be read to be believed ^_^  good stuff.

Also represented in the Gaunt's Ghosts with the Tanith 1st and the Volpone "Bluebloods" (books one, two and four if memory serves)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS