War Movies for inspiration

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 LegendofOld

LegendofOld

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I've always thought it would be cool to have a game run along the lines of "The Last Samurai" where some guardsmen are brought in to train up an army from a world new to the Imperium.  You could either have the guards stay with the governmental forces and have them do battle with the planet's outdated but super awesome warrior culture or arrange for a way for the heroes to end up appreciating and coming to work for the other side.

Oh, and don't forget "We Were Soldiers." 

#22 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

LegendofOld said:

I've always thought it would be cool to have a game run along the lines of "The Last Samurai" where some guardsmen are brought in to train up an army from a world new to the Imperium.  You could either have the guards stay with the governmental forces and have them do battle with the planet's outdated but super awesome warrior culture or arrange for a way for the heroes to end up appreciating and coming to work for the other side.

The "Super awesome warrior culture" could end up being either recruit potential or the seeds of a new chapter of Space Marines. I can't think of a chapter based on the Samurai yet. Perhaps it's due! (Btw: before I get flamed, I know that the white scars are Asian themed but they are Mongol styled rather than Samurai. They would make an excellent Progenitor chapter for our new "Rising Suns" chapter) Perhaps their chapter ability would go beyond the basic "Know no fear" to being truly "Fearless!"

#23 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Radwraith said:

LegendofOld said:

The "Super awesome warrior culture" could end up being either recruit potential or the seeds of a new chapter of Space Marines. I can't think of a chapter based on the Samurai yet. Perhaps it's due! (Btw: before I get flamed, I know that the white scars are Asian themed but they are Mongol styled rather than Samurai. They would make an excellent Progenitor chapter for our new "Rising Suns" chapter) Perhaps their chapter ability would go beyond the basic "Know no fear" to being truly "Fearless!"

I'm afraid /tg/ over on 4chan beat you to it. javascript:void(0);/*1334384215350*/

#24 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Cool! I did not know about that! And already statted out for DW! Interesting!

#25 Baradiel

Baradiel

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

The most accurate depiction of modern troops in modern combat, the HBO series Generation Kill, about 1st Marine Recon during the invasion of Iraq.  Some of the actors are the actual Marines that were there.  I should warn you, they pull no punches with the language and dialogue, so if you are easily offended, don't watch this. 

The Pacific, about Marines in the WW2 Pacific theater, done by the same people that did Band of Brothers, is good too.

Act of Valor, the new movie that just came out about Navy SEALs with actual Navy SEALs is good too.  The acting got slammed by some people, but like I said, the main characters were played by real Navy SEALs, not professional actors.

#26 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

My additions to this thread would be the following:

A Bridge to Far

Cross of Iron

Stalinggrad

Saints and Soldiers

Das Boot (maybe a bit to much Imperial Navy)

Predator 2

The Winter War

#27 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Baradiel said:

Act of Valor, the new movie that just came out about Navy SEALs with actual Navy SEALs is good too.  The acting got slammed by some people, but like I said, the main characters were played by real Navy SEALs, not professional actors.

Which may have been the problem. While that fact may be expected to appeal to the intended target audience, it doesn't mean that Navy SEALs would be terribly good actors, even if they are just playing Navy SEALs. Acting is a skill, which needs training and practice like any other, and isn't one I would expect forces like the Navy SEALs to learn.

#28 nifoc

nifoc

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:15 AM

There's a movie called Deathwatch, a horror movie set in a WWI trench. Would be awesome to use as inspiration for a chaos-themed adventure. A good movie too.

#29 Hehateme

Hehateme

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Blackhawk Down" yet. You could run a mission based on that movie:

"We got a Valkyrie down, we got a Valkyrie down"...

#30 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'd like to think we'll play/run something progressive and introspective, but the reality is there's gunna be a whole shitload of Rambo somewhere in the mix ;)

#31 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

MKX said:

I'd like to think we'll play/run something progressive and introspective, but the reality is there's gunna be a whole shitload of Rambo somewhere in the mix ;)

Progressive and introspective? In the Imperium? Good thing we're not playing DH! "Lord inquisitor? Sir, I'm uncomfortable with the Idea of using torture to gain information on that heretical cult. Perhaps they are just misunderstood and not Heretics at all! Inquistor: I understand my son...<BLAM!>

Of course the results might be much the same if you fed a similar line to your Comissar!

#32 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm a big fan of war documentaries about particular battles, they're a great source for gaming material and I'm guilty of stealing from them a lot. Here are some recent ones that I've really taken inspiration from. Remember a game like this is not only about fighting and combat, but what happens in the downtime in between.

"Chosin", the battle of the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War, in which US Marines (nicknamed "The Chosin Few") were heavily outnumbered by Chinese forces.

"Restrepo", about Operation Post Restrepo situated in the Korengal Valley, Afghanistan and the men who fought in one of the most dangerous regions of the Aghanistan War.

"Armadillo" is a film about Danish soldiers fighting in Afghanistan, mostly deals with how soliders deal with the general populace of an area they're occupying.

#33 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

Radwraith said:

Progressive and introspective? In the Imperium? Good thing we're not playing DH! "Lord inquisitor? Sir, I'm uncomfortable with the Idea of using torture to gain information on that heretical cult. Perhaps they are just misunderstood and not Heretics at all! Inquistor: I understand my son...<BLAM!>

Of course the results might be much the same if you fed a similar line to your Comissar!

I've levelled quite a few adventures in the past at PC's having to question their own morality and principles, against becoming powerful and influential members of the Imperium. This ranged from essentially waging a terrorist campaign against an ecclesiarchy sect that was 'unpopular' with the mainstream, conservative elements of the church (think Branch Davidians vs al-Qaeda, with the odd virus munition planet in the church on holy days), destabilised planetary factions with economic warfare to favour themselves, organised a war and materials to purge an entire planets backwater, hairy arse population so they could set it up as an agri-world and get really filthy rich. Ultimately as part of a scorched earth policy to deny the great enemy a large amount of resources during the early stages of the 13th black crusade, one of them pulled the trigger on his own homeworld with exterminatus.

They where nasty little cocksuckers and not once did they pursue an alternative... whole 3+year campaign was basically one long running social experiment on just 'how terrible' a person you have to be, to get somewhere in the Imperial mechanism. In hindsight, the current Black Crusade characters are probably far nicer to the average imperial peon than the Dark Heresy ones ever where!

#34 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

MKX said:

They where nasty little cocksuckers and not once did they pursue an alternative... whole 3+year campaign was basically one long running social experiment on just 'how terrible' a person you have to be, to get somewhere in the Imperial mechanism. In hindsight, the current Black Crusade characters are probably far nicer to the average imperial peon than the Dark Heresy ones ever where!

Sadly, I have played with too many groups like that! Their good guys are too evil too mention and their "bad" guys are noble and level headed by comparison! Really depressing sometimes!

Back on topic! What about the movie that inspired the whole "Space hulk" Genre? Aliens anyone?

#35 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

"All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Guard! A day in the Imperial Guard is like a day on the farm. Every meal''s a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Guard!"

"Damn, this floor is freezing." 

"What do you want me to do, fetch your slippers for you?"

"Gee, would you sir? I''d like that." 

"Look into my eye."

►►►►

#36 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

AluminiumWolf said:

"All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for► Breakfast in bed► Another glorious day in the Guard! A day in the Imperial Guard is like a day on the farm. Every meal''''s a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Guard!"

"Damn, this floor is freezing." 

"What do you want me to do, fetch your slippers for you►"

"Gee, would you sir► I''''d like that." 

"Look into my eye."

????

VERY nice  Sgt. Apone is a classic!

#37 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

The opening scene from "enemy at the gates" makes me think about how the Imperial guard fights many of its wars

Saving private Ryan

Black Hawk down for a more elite represenation of Imperial Guard

Stalingrad (the German Movie) for a really really gritty city battle

#38 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Heartbreak Ridge: "Lets keep it simple then…You got your boots on you can march into combat!"

#39 Baradiel

Baradiel

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Best line from Generation Kill "If you want logistics, join the Army, Marines make due".

#40 Frankosis

Frankosis

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

People have already mentioned Stalingrad, but I think it deserves special mention for what happens when the PC's squad screws something up in the midst of a war/battle and they become part of a penal squad! This would be a great GM trick to keep in the back of your mind, instead of killing the PCs outright by a overzealous Commissar you have them reassigned. Come to think of it, that also puts them into the Dirty Dozen which I don't think was mentioned. I run my game that people with specialized skills (like the players) are not necessarily expendable fodder and likely have some specific use or mission. I loved the scene where the soldier/prisoners are assigned to clear a minefield. That reminds me of Kelly's Heros, a different type of guard game altogether…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS