Into the Storm weapon PEN shenanigans

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 eBarbarossa

eBarbarossa

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Okay, here goes. ItS has a military sniper rifle, the "Absolution", that should be able to drop most marks with one hit. But the gun has as much penetration as some backwater buckshot. Sure, the 'Accurate' rule can add lots of damage, but at least some Pen would have been nice.

On the other hand, there is the Ripper pistol, which has a better pen than a friggin plasma gun. Isn't that a tad much?

#2 Santiago

Santiago

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

Man Stopper Rounds?

#3 WhiteLycan

WhiteLycan

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

Santiago said:

Man Stopper Rounds?

Only apply to specific SP weapons, not bolters. Only special bolt ammo I can think of just adds damage against things with the Machine trait. And its incredibly rare.

#4 eBarbarossa

eBarbarossa

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

Sorry, it seems I didn't make myself clear. My point is that a military sniper rifle should NOT have the same pen as a musket or a derringer. I know this can be fixed by special ammo, but even the gun's normal ammo should be superior to that of lesser guns.

(And BTW: The Absolution is neither a bolt weapon, nor would I use Manstoppers. Organgrinders or Lathe Bodyblowers are just way better.)

On the other hand, a Pen of 7 seems way over the top for a solid projectile weapon small enough to be classified as a pistol. Not even Heavy Bolters have that kind of penetration.

Both instances seem to me to be screwups and I'm wondering if there is an Errata or something for them.

#5 SMDVogrin

SMDVogrin

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

eBarbarossa said:

On the other hand, a Pen of 7 seems way over the top for a solid projectile weapon small enough to be classified as a pistol. Not even Heavy Bolters have that kind of penetration.

Blame the tabletop stats then - the Ripper pistol has AP2, same as a Lascannon or Plasma weapon.  It appears to be intentionally designed to pierce armor.

#6 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

Astartes sniper rifle has 0 pen as well, due to the fact that it fires slivers of crystallised toxin. You're generally supposed to aim for the weak points in their armour, ie the head.

The Ripper pistol is a bit odd; prior to the FFG entry it was unique to Sly Marbo. The way I figure it the gun's not really anything special, it's the ammo that's the major aspect of it; perhaps increase the rarity of the ammunition by one step and/or have the player make an upkeep test regularly to keep a supply of the ammo in stock?

#7 Malevant

Malevant

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

This was an issue a player of mine had as well - he wanted to play a sniper character, and being a bit newer to the 40k setting he was using a Barret Sniper Rifle, which can penetrate quite a bit of armor RL.  Of course, sniper rifles on table top play out substantially different (4+ Wound, no AP or AP1 if you are using a unit like Pathfinders, if memory serves).  What I ended up doing in his case was custom statting a long-las with hellgun penetration and reduced the clip size.

The other option I'd considered is adding a Pen bonus that goes with aiming on sniper style weapons - although Accurate as a quality really helps with the damage output, even against armored targets.

A final option would be to up the penetration substantially (maybe up into the 9-10 range) but class it as a heavy weapon that can't be fired unbraced (bulging biceps or not).  I'd need to play with the balance on this one a bit more, as well as the last one, but the option we ended up going worked quite well for him until he 1) saw the stats on melta-guns and 2) realized a lot of our encounters took place at much shorter than sniper ranges.  Of course, it helped in my case that I had a player who was very open with "let's try this, and if its broken I'm either going to try something else to improve it or gimp it drastically" as a way of helping him build out his character the way he wanted.

#8 Umbranus

Umbranus

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

For sniper work there is the solo boltgun or how it's called from into the storm.

Boltgun damage and pen, tearing and accuate.

#9 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Been playing with a Long-las and I gotta say the lack of penetration is no issue. I still drop most targets in a single shot or two. To me Accurate is a better representation than just slapping Penetration onto the weapon because the additional damage from Accurate chews through both Armor AND Toughness. Consider that you see some huge, unarmored ork. It doesn't matter how high of penetration the rifle has, because it's negating armor the ork doesn't have and the effect is wasted. Accurate, on the other hand, helps relate the devastating blows that a sniper rifle can make in the hands of a skilled gunman regardless if the target is armored or not. 

Just my two cents.

#10 comradeda

comradeda

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Just to expand on that:

Remember than a weapon's Pen is a special kind of damage that only works up to a maximum of their target's armour. It is flat out just worse than damage in almost all cases (all the ones I can think of anyway).

#11 Thaddux

Thaddux

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

The sniper rifle works fine, as one of my players, who is an absolute killing machine with that exact weapon, will testify to.

The ripper pistol is something of an oddity with it's massive penetration (steady now), and although it's not explicitly stated, you could just count it's ammo as being exotic, thus making it harder to come by.

As a side note, I like the Barret .50 cal idea presented earlier and wanted to develop my own version of it (warning: not very much like an actual Barret):

Gunmetal Pattern "Final Rebuke" .50 Anti-Armour Rifle

Class: Heavy

Type: SP

Range: 400m

Damage: 2d10 Impact

Pen: 12

RoF: S/-/-

Clip: 5

Reload: Full

Special: Accurate, Recharge, Special*

Availability: Extremely Rare

*This weapon is considered a basic weapon for the purposes of applying upgrades that count as 'sights', with the exception of the Red Dot Sight.  This weapon also does not gain the +10 bonus for firing at short range, and may not be loaded with unusual ammunition.  The recharge quality represents the firer compensating for the massive recoil generated by the weapon, as well as operating the extremely heavy bolt action.

#12 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

With the Ripper Pistol, I find it odd that a weapon that hyper-penetrates stil leaves toxins behind, but realism be damned. Our group's Arch-Miitant loves this beast!

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#13 Myliel

Myliel

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thaddux said:

*This weapon is considered a basic weapon for the purposes of applying upgrades that count as 'sights', with the exception of the Red Dot Sight.  This weapon also does not gain the +10 bonus for firing at short range, and may not be loaded with unusual ammunition.  The recharge quality represents the firer compensating for the massive recoil generated by the weapon, as well as operating the extremely heavy bolt action.

There's one BIG problem with your reasoning, yes a barrett antimateriel rifle IS kind of unwieldy, but it has suprisingly LOW recoil, contrary to popular belief, because the barrel is designed like a damper (look it up) ;)

#14 Cpt. Harkonnen

Cpt. Harkonnen

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ok, 1st off.. a .50 sniper rifle is WAY too complex of a gun for the 41st Millennium. This is 40k where even the most basic of things we take for granted here in the now is considered Arechotech.  Furthermore, this game is about flavor, not substance like stats and min/max.  Kills me to see so many people concerned with game stats than with the flavor or spirit of the game. Most weapons in Rogue Trader all do the same amount of damage with a +/- a few points.  Rogue Trader is kind of like Star Wars in the fact that its Space Opera more than it is Sci-fi.

Serve the Emporer today, you may be dead tomorrow…

#15 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

Cpt. Harkonnen said:

Furthermore, this game is about flavor, not substance like stats and min/max.

Trying to tell others what the game is/should be about is always going to be a FAIL.

#16 CegorachLaughs

CegorachLaughs

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Cpt. Harkonnen said:

Ok, 1st off.. a .50 sniper rifle is WAY too complex of a gun for the 41st Millennium. This is 40k where even the most basic of things we take for granted here in the now is considered Arechotech. 

What are you on, and where can I get some? Gravity manipulation is a fairly common thing in the Imperium, relatively speaking, as are enhancements, bionics and the like that make dealing with recoil and the like much easier. The basic lasgun is an incredibly advanced weapon by our standards, and yet is considered incredibly basic by Imperial standards. Don't confuse their differing aesthetic and the fact that they're much less advanced than DaoT humanity with them being primitive by our standards, because there are far more ways they're not than ways they are.

#17 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

My game has a RT who is well on his way to becoming an Arch-Heretek.  He has high Int, Tech Use, and Trade (Armorer).  One of his goals is to develop weapons and tactics to help the Imperium survive.  One of the first things he designed/built for the ship's Arch Militant was a .50Cal sniper rifle.  Since .50Cal is the round used by heavy machineguns, the .50Cal damage profile is based on the Heavy Stubber.  While it is still a basic weapon, it is large enough to require bracing to fire without penalty (-30 unless braced).  Bulging Biceps allows firing without bracing, similar to a heavy weapon.  The weapon is superior to the long las or sniper rifle, but much heavier and more limited in deployment.  The ammunition counts as heavy ammunition (it can share ammunition with heavy stubbers, although snipers tend to pick and choose rounds from ammo boxes to ensure they get the better rounds).  At this point he has custom built a few, but is working on the manufacturing schematics that would allow for mass production.  The weapon is usually used with Explosive (+3 Dam, counts as heavy ammunition) or Man Stoppers (+3 Pen).  The weapon is well within the technology level that hive world regularly manufacture, so I don't see a problem with it. 

Class              Range      ROF     Damage     Pen      Clip      Rld      Special                                                   kg     Rarity

Basic SP        150m       S/-/-      1d10+5 I         3          5         Full      Accurate, Needs Braced (-20)          15      Rare (based on complexity)

#18 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

If I were the GM I'd say an STC pattern already exists for such a weapon. Essentially it's just a bolt-action rifle, scaled to .50 caliber and manufactured to fine tolerances. It should come with a scope as standard too.

#19 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

I tend to require the players to aquire STCs and manufacturing patterns through aquisition or roleplay.  There may be such an STC, but it isn't common (not published, and there are other sniper rifles published).  I use the Inquisitor's handbook crafting rules for the most part, with components for an item being 2 degrees less rare than the final product if you have the appropriate Trade skill.  Components are 1 degree less rare if you only have Tech Use.  I also allow player to craft anything up to Rare without the STC/Manufacturing pattern.  Of course the players have a best quality Laboratorium on their ship, so crafting is quite a bit easier for them.

I forgot to add that it has integral silencer and top rail to mount desired scope.  The party Arch Militant has SP weapons as his specialty and uses either Explosive Tipped or Blessed ammo.  With the explosive tipped it does 1d10+10 (Pen 3) damage in his hands.

#20 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

WilliamAsher said:

The party Arch Militant has SP weapons as his specialty

That's not how the Arch-Militant ability is supposed to work. Appropriate choices include Basic, Flame, Heavy, Pistol, Melee, and Thrown.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS