Runes, Runesmiths and Runic Items

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 LoveSkylark

LoveSkylark

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

Love the look but it looks like WHFB runes a system where you could have the hammer of Sigmar.

I think some of these runes are way to powerfull or is there a rank system that restricts some  runes to a Master etc.?

#22 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

LoveSkylark said:

Love the look but it looks like WHFB runes a system where you could have the hammer of Sigmar.

I think some of these runes are way to powerfull or is there a rank system that restricts some  runes to a Master etc.?

For runes marked with R1 to R3 the character must be of rank 1 - 3 the same as for spells. For master runes you must have the Master Runesmith or Runelord career abilities (see the cards for details). Master runes also, cost two talent advances to learn. Moreover if you want to craft an item with a combination of runes and a master rune, you still have to spend 1 advancement to craft them (you can find this in the short pdf file).

Nonetheless, you are right. I created the runes based on WFB and previous editions of the WFRPG and with them you can create very powerful items.

The idea I had in mind when I translated the runes to WFRPG 3rd ed was to extend the mechanics of rune crafting (and eventually give the tools to my players) to create very powerful magic items (and more variety). This does not mean that I will give them the access to the each and every rune they want, that is up to the GM choice.

I firmly believe that, although Warhammer can be a world as grim and perilous as you want and as low fantasy as you wish, still powerful runes, magic items, dragons, deamons, High Magic and the like does exist (if you have Hero's Call, you will find also very powerfull spells there, see for exaple Breath of Life from the Jade Order, The final transmutation, Cure Mutation, Tears of Mercy…). With these runes, I created just a tool for my campaings, but I will still be the final referee to it. How hard can be to found a Runesmith and to convince him to teach you a master rune? or to find the scriptures from which you can learn it? A campaing by it self maybe.

I hope all these rambling was a bit clarifying.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#23 LoveSkylark

LoveSkylark

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

There are also runes in 2nd edtion in the book "Realms of Sorcery", they are more balanced toward RPG.

#24 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

LoveSkylark said:

There are also runes in 2nd edtion in the book "Realms of Sorcery", they are more balanced toward RPG.

I guess agree, but it is important to look into some details

The second edition, similar to the 3rd ed, presented a limited set of Dwarf runes, and I guess all of them where more balanced. Still some of them can be mentioned to be "unbalanced" like the Master Rune of Alaric the Mad or the Master Rune of Steel.

Regarding your concern of "balance" Do you referee to a particular rune? or just the master runes in general? I may look into it.

In my opinion, the balance in a RPG is a very personal thing and it is created by the GM to suit his gaming style. See for example the thousands of threads regarding the Ironbreaker, some GM find it totally broken, while others find it ok. It depends on your GM style and in the focus of your campaign. For example, in my campaign, in the way it is designed, the stipend that a noble character receives every month is a big unbalancing factor, so I had to put a limitation to it.

Said that, in my opinion, Master Runes in general must be very powerful in order to suit the background of the Old World. If you place weak Master Runes in your games just to preserve RPG balance, better do not allow them in your games at all, since in my opinion it goes against the flavour of runesmithing. For the set of runes I made for my games I had in mind that, me the GM will be the referee of what players can and cannot obtain, when and where. The same for everything else, a GM for example could handle the Ghal-Maraz to his players, or give them griffons to ride into battle or a set of healing potions, the War Crown of Saphery, an unlimited amount of gold…these are all things that exist in the Old world and will be, in most of the situations, "unbalanced" towards RPG, yet if the GM finds it appropriate for his campaign, why not?.

Nevertheless, if you have some particular cases you want to discuss, like this rune or that other, and you have a different idea, feel free to use the forums or email me. I will like to hear your point of view

Cheers

#25 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

As Yepes has pointed it out, a Masterrune or better the discovery of a Masterrune is the pinacle of a Runesmiths life.

Finding and recovering just ONE is an achievement a Runesmith will dedicate his life to. So if you want to use one of the Masterrunes just take one of the lots and lots of good ones yepes have made. And then send your PCs on a quest to recover the wisdom of the making. And then at least another dangerous adventure to gather the ingredients to strike it ONCE.

With the costs of experience points involved they are reasonable leveled imo. But you should really make them scarce and wonderous.

#26 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

I added some careers for Dwarfs that I plan to use in my games. I uploaded them here, together with the supplement of runesmithing, just in case someone else might be interested.

The new careers are:

The Dwarf Journeyman Engineer and the Dwarf Lead Engineer.

You will also find the The Longbeard, the Demon Slayer, the Dwarf Lord and the Dwarf Prince. But I think these ones were already there. Note, that the Dwarf Lord and Dwarf Prince career abilities are nearly direct translations of the Noble Lord and the Magistrate career abilities, but applied to combat situations. If your games are (heavily) combat oriented, it is better that you nerf these abilities a bit, for example that of the Dwarf Lord, could add one boon instead of two.

#27 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

I uploaded a primitive version of the career abilities of the journeyman and lead engineers where it is not stated soketing of an additional Invention as in the case of the Master Engineer.

I uploaded now the "correct" ones.

#28 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:51 AM

The advanced Noble and Engineer Careers look great so far. If there is an advanced dwarf box coming out in the distant future then I think it will be something like this. I also very like the longbeard champion. A worthy end for an ironbreaker career, with weapons skill mastery and grumbling discipline. :)

#29 Megabean

Megabean

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi. I have a question for the OP. 

I have been discussing with our GM whether he'll allow me to use the three extra runic careers and he has some questions to clarify before he will allow it. 

The Master Runesmith and the Runelord careers both have their ability which affects the number of white or yellow dice added to the trade craft check when crafting a runic item… Can you please clarify what this means, because as far as I can gather from the rules in the book of grudges, there is no roll to craft a runic item, there is only a trade craft roll to make the item itself, and then extra time is taken to apply a rune. 

Should the card text read "gains dice to trade craft checks to crafting items that will be used for rune applications"? Or are we looking into this too deeply?

thanks for your time. 

#30 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

Megabean said:

Hi. I have a question for the OP. 

I have been discussing with our GM whether he'll allow me to use the three extra runic careers and he has some questions to clarify before he will allow it. 

The Master Runesmith and the Runelord careers both have their ability which affects the number of white or yellow dice added to the trade craft check when crafting a runic item… Can you please clarify what this means, because as far as I can gather from the rules in the book of grudges, there is no roll to craft a runic item, there is only a trade craft roll to make the item itself, and then extra time is taken to apply a rune. 

Should the card text read "gains dice to trade craft checks to crafting items that will be used for rune applications"? Or are we looking into this too deeply?

thanks for your time. 

Hi!

The initial idea of the career abilities you mention is because I house rule that the runesmith must succeed in a Tradecraft check in order to inscribe an item with runes (similarly to the check a dwarf engineer must succeed in order to create /upgrade an invention).

Alternatively, what you propose "gains dice to trade craft checks to crafting items that will be used for rune applications" is a good rule if you want to stick to the RAW rules.

Enjoy the runes!

Yepes

#31 SJMazzella3380

SJMazzella3380

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

Hey there, I love the work that you did.  I personally like to use SE to print out the cards, I use a special thick double sided photo paper instead of cardstock when printing cards to make them look as authentic as possible.

I see that your career cards and ability cards are image files, I am guessing you probably used photoshop to edit the cards.

Is there anyway for me to get the images that you used to create the new careers?  I especially like the dwarven champion.  I have tried doing a google search, but I have not found anything close to the images you have.

Thank you for your hard work and time.

SJMazzella3380@yahoo.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS