• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hi there,

first of: I am sorry, but I own the German version of the game, and I have not found kind of a detailed list about all the different cards and items in game. Therefore I try to describe my issues with "The Guitar" and "Melee Combat". I hope you will be able to help me out regardless of that ...

Today three friends and I played the fourth scenario of Mansions of Madness with the main clue 1c. Therefore the three investigators hat to kill the Witch Detaigne.

During the game I as the Keeper used an action against one of the investigators - the one controlling him and using one of his items against another gamer.

Question one: The friend of mine played "Ashcan" Pete, and he had his guitar. The description for the guitar says something like this:

Action - discard the guitar and attack a monster.

May I as the Keeper use this against another Investigator although Investigators are not monsters?

Question two: So I did - I used the action for the guitar of "Ashcan's" with "uncontrollable urge" (or something) against another Investigator in the same field. And I drew a melee combat card, which reads something like this:

Check your strength. Success: He aches and is convulsed in pain. You deal Weapon Damage + 1, No Success: He grips your weapon and pulls it off your hand. You drop the Weapon.

When we played along the card, "Ashcan" had no success with his by me controlled attack; so according to the Melee Attack card the Guitar should have been dropped to the ground of the room; bot otherwise the guitar description says that you discard the guitar card as soon as you take an action to attack a monster with the guitar ... So would the guitar remain in game but dropped to the floor, or would the guitar be discarded?

Besides all this: His there somewhere a list of all the cards of the game available on the internet?

All the best!

Mad

For GM: Mad's Adventure, Adventure Hooks, NPCs, and Locations - same at RPGGEEK

SW, to me, is a Spaghetti Western with space ships for horses. No matter what you do it causes a problem.  You just might save the day.  Crazy heroics and adventure!

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

MaddockKrug said:

Question one: The friend of mine played "Ashcan" Pete, and he had his guitar. The description for the guitar says something like this:

Action - discard the guitar and attack a monster.

May I as the Keeper use this against another Investigator although Investigators are not monsters?

Nope. 

MaddockKrug said:

Question two: So I did - I used the action for the guitar of "Ashcan's" with "uncontrollable urge" (or something) against another Investigator in the same field. And I drew a melee combat card, which reads something like this:

Check your strength. Success: He aches and is convulsed in pain. You deal Weapon Damage + 1, No Success: He grips your weapon and pulls it off your hand. You drop the Weapon.

When we played along the card, "Ashcan" had no success with his by me controlled attack; so according to the Melee Attack card the Guitar should have been dropped to the ground of the room; bot otherwise the guitar description says that you discard the guitar card as soon as you take an action to attack a monster with the guitar ... So would the guitar remain in game but dropped to the floor, or would the guitar be discarded?

Hmm, I would probably discard it. I think the idea is that the guitar breaks as you bash something with it, so maybe the target pulls it out of your hands and it breaks then. Moot point for UU though, but against a normal monster.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

As for your second question: I'd play this literally. Whenever you decide to attack smthng with a guitar, the guitar is destroyed in the process. If you're said to drop the object, then this means the guitar is destroyed by impacting the ground. Which is plausible, especially if you think that, in order to harm someone, you have to use some strength while swinging your guitar.

As for your first question.. technically, one of your pals is not a monster. So, Dam is right. But I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to hit one of your friends if you're allowed to hit a Shoggoth with the very same object. So, I'd go with your interpretation (don't know if this was clarified elsewhere, though, so, handle with care my answer)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:03 AM

Julia said:

As for your first question.. technically, one of your pals is not a monster. So, Dam is right. But I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to hit one of your friends if you're allowed to hit a Shoggoth with the very same object. So, I'd go with your interpretation (don't know if this was clarified elsewhere, though, so, handle with care my answer)

"Q: Can the keeper use Uncontrollable urges to make an
investigator attack another Investigator with a weapon?
What about spells?
A: No. This only allows him to use a spell, equipment, artifact
or tome card." (FAQ, p. 3)

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

Dam said:

Julia said:

"Q: Can the keeper use Uncontrollable urges to make an
investigator attack another Investigator with a weapon?
What about spells?
A: No. This only allows him to use a spell, equipment, artifact
or tome card." (FAQ, p. 3)

Good to know, thanks Dam!

Still, you can use an artifact but not a guitar. Funny...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#6 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thank you very much.

Last night I "ruled out" that the combat card would overrule the guitar-action-discription. But what you explain here sounds fair and convincing to me. In the future I won't do this mistake again.

And the one with UU as well ... I won't do it again ...

All the best!

Mad

For GM: Mad's Adventure, Adventure Hooks, NPCs, and Locations - same at RPGGEEK

SW, to me, is a Spaghetti Western with space ships for horses. No matter what you do it causes a problem.  You just might save the day.  Crazy heroics and adventure!

#7 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Julia said:

Well, you can UU Guitar for the move monster action, could be actually useful in some cases. Move monster closer so that your once per monster movement Keeper Action then allows it to get to the same space for an attack (or combo with Take Sample).

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Dam said:

Julia said:

Well, you can UU Guitar for the move monster action, could be actually useful in some cases. Move monster closer so that your once per monster movement Keeper Action then allows it to get to the same space for an attack (or combo with Take Sample).

Yeah, very true

#9 rubenflh

rubenflh

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

One more question. The investigator may choose to attack with his own hands, even carrying a device attack?

For example,  Ashcan's  can choose attack with his hands in order not to discard the guitar?

Same for others equipaments.

#10 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

rubenflh said:

One more question. The investigator may choose to attack with his own hands, even carrying a device attack?

For example,  Ashcan's  can choose attack with his hands in order not to discard the guitar?

Same for others equipaments.

Absolutely! Just because he has the equipment doesn't mean he has to use it. You may always choose to make an unarmed attack instead of using a weapon, it just doesn't do as much damage.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS