LIVING TOURNAMENT LIBRARY & WORLD RANKINGS

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#161 Migwald

Migwald

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the welcome Sir Juicebox and many thanks for your sterling work in organising these tournaments. Although I'm a noob to the game I'm hooked and my son and daughter enjoy the game too….so suitable for all the family

Migwald

#162 Fatty

Fatty

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

I have a question on the multiplayer tournaments that might be a bit theoretical. I know you are supposed to play with the actual number of players (for instance no two-handed single player games because it is easier when you have full control over all the cards). But as long as I play all the three games and use the exact same decks, do all the other players have to stay the same throughout the three games? I am asking this because I don't have a regular game group for this game and I think it might be hard to convince new players to play three games in a row using the same scenario. It might be easier to play the same scenario with three different sets of fellow players. I am aware of the fact that it might be harder to get a good score when playing with new players all the time, but I would still like to know if this would be possible. 

#163 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Fatty said:

I have a question on the multiplayer tournaments that might be a bit theoretical. I know you are supposed to play with the actual number of players (for instance no two-handed single player games because it is easier when you have full control over all the cards). But as long as I play all the three games and use the exact same decks, do all the other players have to stay the same throughout the three games? I am asking this because I don't have a regular game group for this game and I think it might be hard to convince new players to play three games in a row using the same scenario. It might be easier to play the same scenario with three different sets of fellow players. I am aware of the fact that it might be harder to get a good score when playing with new players all the time, but I would still like to know if this would be possible. 

Hi Fatty, please pardon the delayed response. Thoughtful question.

As long as it's actual people and the same decks, I see no trouble with mixing up the actual people (as you describe). In my mind that holds to both the letter of the law (as has been stated in the design of these tournaments) and to the spirit of the law (encouraging lots of fun playing this game).

destellos

#164 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

Updates, updates!! Get 'em while they're hot!!

And special welcome to AjiTae, DevastazioneH88, and Kiwina!

#165 rborkowitz

rborkowitz

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Any idea when you'll add the Heirs of Numenor to the listing?

#166 chlorine

chlorine

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hi and thanks for hosting these tournaments. They seem quite interesting and I'm really considering participating for fun, even if I won't be able to compete with the good scores.

I have a question about the 'back-to-back' rule: A valid result in this tournament consists of reporting your results (wins and losses) from 3 back-to-back games (may be spread out over as much time as you like), using the same deck for each of those 3 games. 

Does this mean that I'm not allowed to play any lotr card game between two of these back to back games?

For instance if I alternate Passage trhough Mirkwood and Journey along the Anduin, am I allowed to count three PtM (and three JatA) for the living tournament? If think the answer is no but I wanted to make sure. If by any chance the answer is yes, I have the same question for playing the same scenario with different decks/heroes.

#167 diogodsr

diogodsr

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

In Passage Through Mirkwood solo, I did not understand what was the sum to arrive at the value of 77 in Game 1 Result: 77

Final Threat Level: 26
Threat Cost of Each Dead Hero: 0
Damage Tokens on Remaining Heroes: 1
Victory Points Earned: 0
Number of Rounds Completed: 5
Quest 3 was Beorn's Path

could someone explain to me?

#168 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

chlorine said:

Hi and thanks for hosting these tournaments. They seem quite interesting and I'm really considering participating for fun, even if I won't be able to compete with the good scores.

I have a question about the 'back-to-back' rule: A valid result in this tournament consists of reporting your results (wins and losses) from 3 back-to-back games (may be spread out over as much time as you like), using the same deck for each of those 3 games. 

Does this mean that I'm not allowed to play any lotr card game between two of these back to back games?

For instance if I alternate Passage trhough Mirkwood and Journey along the Anduin, am I allowed to count three PtM (and three JatA) for the living tournament? If think the answer is no but I wanted to make sure. If by any chance the answer is yes, I have the same question for playing the same scenario with different decks/heroes.

I believe the answer is yes.

But all the 3 games on a single scenario must be with the same deck.

Carlos José Matos

#169 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

diogodsr said:

In Passage Through Mirkwood solo, I did not understand what was the sum to arrive at the value of 77 in Game 1 Result: 77

Final Threat Level: 26
Threat Cost of Each Dead Hero: 0
Damage Tokens on Remaining Heroes: 1
Victory Points Earned: 0
Number of Rounds Completed: 5
Quest 3 was Beorn's Path

could someone explain to me?

{Number of Rounds} x 10 + {Final Threat Level} + {Threat Cost of Dead Heroes} + {Damage Tokens on Remaining Heroes} - {Victory Points Earned}

= 5 x 10 + 26 + 1 = 77

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#170 chlorine

chlorine

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

CJMatos said:

chlorine said:

I believe the answer is yes.

But all the 3 games on a single scenario must be with the same deck.

OK and thanks for the answer!

In doubt I'll be sure to mention that I played other scenarios between my tournament games if/when I decide to participate.

#171 diogodsr

diogodsr

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

thks man!

when there will be another tournament?

#172 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

First and foremost… Happy New Year!!!

Second and foremost… many long due updates made.

Third and foremost… a big welcome to Ganjalf87 and Chaos101. Glad you're here. animado

Coming up in the next post… some answers to questions that have been coming in.

#173 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

#1) rborkowitz asked if I’m planning to add Heirs of Numenor here.

At this time, no. I’m going to leave the system capped as it is. Mainly, this is due to the number of updates that are required to make manually. I’ve been slow (that’s too generous) to keep things up to date as they are. Just trying to keep things manageable. If some day this is transferred to an automated system (something that sadly I’ve not had the time or energy for as of late) I see no reason all scenarios couldn’t be added to the system.

#2) chlorine asked about playing games back-to-back and if those games can be interspersed with other LOTR scenario play.

The short answer is yes. The point is to count 3 results in a row for the same scenario that have happed with the same deck(s). It does not matter what you do in between those results if they have no impact on the results that are being tracked for that scenario.

chlorine then asked about “the same question” for playing the same scenario with different decks/heroes. The short answer to this, if I understand your question right, is no. It is important that the 3 in a row be with the same deck(s)/heroes.

In brief… CJMatos is right.

#3) diogodsr asked about when there will be another tournament.

If you’re asking about this Living Tournament system… it’s ongoing. If you’re asking about the separate juicebox Tournaments I used to run… I don’t see one in the cards any time soon. If you’re asking about other online tournaments entirely… anyone can host one at any time, so we shall see.

I just want to add, thanks to everyone for your patience when it comes to the rate at which I'm posting the updated results. I've clearly not had the same ability to sustain regular updates as this past year has unfolded. Hard to believe, but February will be the 1 year mark for this Living Tournament System! Initially, there were some great efforts happening with the designer at Card Game DB to set up an automated system on that site. However, as it turns out, I have not had the time or energy to work on making that transition. So…….. I suppose I'm curious if someone who has been participating, has great attention to detail, and would honor continuing this system as it has been designed and intended would be interested in taking the baton from me at some point. If so, post here, and we'll discuss. Let's consider how to make this an even livlier and sustainable system as this next year unfolds. In the mean time, I'll continue to make updates, though likely not as punctually as we'd all enjoy. Good times everyone!

#174 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Juicebox,

It's been a long time since I posted any results, so I thought I would come back with a bang.  I  just posted a ton of quest results, sorry, I hope it is not an inconvinece.  Thanks  for doing it.

I used the same deck for all the scenarions, and I'm really plased with how it worked.  Unforunately it could not beat Rhosgobel, I had no healing cards and did not want to modify the deck.  It must be the toughest scenarion in the game.  Ha!  Although I beat it months ago, and hold the third rank with a deck that would get creamed on other scenarios.

I calculated what I thought my ranking would be based on the number of points I'd recieve for my rank on each scenario in the way you suggested.  I came up with 89 points.  Is this correct?  I thought it would be better than that.

Thanks again

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#175 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Is this still going on?  Juicebox, you still around?  I've been aware of this tournament format for several months, but haven't had the cards to participate in it until now.  Let me know what's going on.  I look forward to people's scores out of the top 10 :)

Check out my new xwing minis website:

XWINGMINIATURES.COM

#176 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

Looks like this forum and/or game is not at all what it used to be.  Sad.  If there's anyone that wants to get a one-player tournament going again, please let me know.  I'd love to have a little competition.

• Viluir likes this

Check out my new xwing minis website:

XWINGMINIATURES.COM

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS