Photo

Anyone that demo'ed the game @ GenCon, I could use your help!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

telengard said:

If only there had been a rule-book available.    :)

Yeah! It may not be the best game FFG could come up with, but it sure seemed solid to me. It'd still be a great game to play.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#22 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

telengard said:

Going over the current rules I have written down, combat seems to be a grey area.  

So for mission combat, you total up the attack damage, add modifiers, and apply the damage as the players see fit to units in the target area.

Ship combat seems to be the same thing, but excess goes towards the base.  This part of the game in general I'm just not sure I have all the details.  Exact text from my notes:

Resolve ship combat after strategy card is done if specified. Add up damage from
Imperial ships and apply to defense of Rebel ships which you exhaust to intercept, any excess damage goes against your base.
Your base can take 10 total damage before you are out of the game.

I have this in my notes too

Pilot (You may play this card as a Pilot on any 'Fighter'. That ship may exhaust to attack as an Action.)
Does this just mean when the Imperials attack as part of a strategy card?  I guess that is a little confusing…

New questions I have written down to figure out:

- Can events be played during the initial playing of cards w/ the 7 influence?

- Event cards don't cost anything?

- If a card bumps up the time past the current mission, does it end immediately and you move on to the next stage?

~telengard

Mission combat is correct, notes for ship combat are to my recollection as well.

Piloted ships, I just don't know.  There had to be a way to take out the Imperial ships but it wasn't that heavy a thing in the demos.

Initial events: I doubt it.  I seem to remember being handed a starting hard with no events in it, or we were presented a starting field and just had the starting hand thing explained.

Event cost: Nothing on the card indicates that, and I don't recall either.  Responses would be keyed to specific events. Actions seem like there would be certian times they could be played.  Probably the same time actions could be played from a character.  This would probably reinforce no events during initial layout.

Mission stage: Really fuzzy area, I think most of the time movement was the end of turn, though there were the blue Imperials that effected time.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#23 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

I just want to make sure I get this. So when you say mission combat, you're referring to any if the first three lines on the strategy card. If it is a Rebel crest, the mission zone must attack/defend. However, on the fourth line (with the arrow), you don't compare attack. Instead, you compare the total number of Rebel crests in the mission zone to Imperial insignias in the target zone. Whatever excess you have gets placed as tokens on the mission card. That's how I thought the last part of the combat phase went. I still don't know what happens if you fail that part.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#24 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

telengard said:

Going over the current rules I have written down, combat seems to be a grey area.  

So for mission combat, you total up the attack damage, add modifiers, and apply the damage as the players see fit to units in the target area.

Ship combat seems to be the same thing, but excess goes towards the base.  This part of the game in general I'm just not sure I have all the details.  Exact text from my notes:

Resolve ship combat after strategy card is done if specified. Add up damage from
Imperial ships and apply to defense of Rebel ships which you exhaust to intercept, any excess damage goes against your base.
Your base can take 10 total damage before you are out of the game.

I have this in my notes too

Pilot (You may play this card as a Pilot on any 'Fighter'. That ship may exhaust to attack as an Action.)
Does this just mean when the Imperials attack as part of a strategy card?  I guess that is a little confusing…

New questions I have written down to figure out:

- Can events be played during the initial playing of cards w/ the 7 influence?

- Event cards don't cost anything?

- If a card bumps up the time past the current mission, does it end immediately and you move on to the next stage?

~telengard  

Mission combat is correct, notes for ship combat are to my recollection as well.

Piloted ships, I just don't know.  There had to be a way to take out the Imperial ships but it wasn't that heavy a thing in the demos.

Initial events: I doubt it.  I seem to remember being handed a starting hard with no events in it, or we were presented a starting field and just had the starting hand thing explained.

Event cost: Nothing on the card indicates that, and I don't recall either.  Responses would be keyed to specific events. Actions seem like there would be certian times they could be played.  Probably the same time actions could be played from a character.  This would probably reinforce no events during initial layout.

Mission stage: Really fuzzy area, I think most of the time movement was the end of turn, though there were the blue Imperials that effected time.

Thanks!  You have a good memory.  As for the mission stage, that's exactly why that question is there, the Imperial cards that when revealed bumped up the time.  As for ships, we could probably wing (rimshot) some rules up for that.    ;)

~telengard

#25 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

Budgernaut said:

I just want to make sure I get this. So when you say mission combat, you're referring to any if the first three lines on the strategy card. If it is a Rebel crest, the mission zone must attack/defend. However, on the fourth line (with the arrow), you don't compare attack. Instead, you compare the total number of Rebel crests in the mission zone to Imperial insignias in the target zone. Whatever excess you have gets placed as tokens on the mission card. That's how I thought the last part of the combat phase went. I still don't know what happens if you fail that part.

Yes, the first three which on all of the spoiled cards seems to be similar (just different colors).  

And, yep, that's my understanding of how the actual "missioning" works.  Any amount over the Imperials total is considered "progress", akin to LotR LCG.

~telengard

#26 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

telengard said:

Budgernaut said:

Yes, the first three which on all of the spoiled cards seems to be similar (just different colors).  

And, yep, that's my understanding of how the actual "missioning" works.  Any amount over the Imperials total is considered "progress", akin to LotR LCG.

~telengard

Yes, this is described correctly.  As to failing the time constraints are tight enough and time is progressing on each turn.  Not getting progress is enough of a penalty that you don't need any more on top of it.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#27 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

So it has been quite a while and I have some updates.  Now that the *true* game's release is imminent, I'm not sure where the best place to discuss this is, or if folks are even still interest.  My current pass at the rules is here (in just plain text, I'll make it fancy when it is done):

http://home.comcast....rk/sw_rules.txt

And I'm switched all of my card templates from Nandeck to Photoshop, here's a sample of a 'Strategy' card:

http://home.comcast....sw_strategy.jpg

Going by the very few decent quality images available it has been more work than I expected to clean up the cards, etc.

Please let me know what you think (I know there is lots more todo).

~telengard

#28 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

I just glanced through the rules, so no true feedback for you yet, but I just wanted to say that remembering the original game gets me really excited. As excited as I am for the new game, it's nothing compared to how excited I was for the co-op version, and looking at your rules and the strategy card brought that all back.

You're right that we probably will need to find a new place to discuss the old game. I'm just not sure where to do it. But I'm definitely interesting in seeing what we can make out of the old co-op game.

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS