• 32 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Fides Aeternum - Faith Eternal

#22 sinisalo

sinisalo

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

I nick names off of novels from my shelf when I have to name a ship in haste. This has resulted, so far, in the following ships, Imperial or otherwise:

The Wasp Factory (fleet support base)
Excession (reaver ship)
The Algebraist (raider commandeered by a heretek cult)
Look to Windward (cargo hauler)

A system defense boat flotilla consisting of:

Coalescent
Exultant
Transcendent
Resplendent
Incandescent

It's easy to pick names for random encouters on the top of one's using this method:

The Human Stain!
The Grapes of Wrath!

And so on.

Of course a ship's name should carry a certain significance, be they "ship names to run away from" or otherwise; I'm particularily fond of Saynay Clan assault ship "The Hungry Man" from which, incidentally, the players did run away from.

#23 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

The Dark Mechanicus forge-ship that's turned up in my campaign is called the #DIV/0.

• Apache and Annaamarth like this
Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#24 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Scott_0606 said:

A good technique for ship names is to either use mythical terms or a bastardised version of latin. 

For example, the two ships in my BC campaigns are the Iron Warriors strike cruiser Stygian and the Word Bearers ship Atradeus Vocem (roughly 'Voice of the Dark Gods').

I resemble that remark.  One of my stories features a particularly nasty Hades class cruiser named the Excruciatus Rex (loosely 'King of Pain').  For some reason, I kept hearing Sting's voice in my head when I was working on that chapter…

Cheers,

- V.

#25 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

"Burning of the Effulgent"

" Idolator's Aegis"

"Summoner of Screams"

#26 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

Naked Aggression, Cradle of Filth, Oathbreaker, Jackal's Feast, Doomweaver, Bastard Scion, Born of Rage, Chariot of the Gods…

#27 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Damnatus Est

Ex Infernis

Eradicator Lucis

Ex Tenebris

Dominus Umbrae

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#28 crisaron

crisaron

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

She wants Revenge --  there is always a nice beat coming from the speakers.

#29 DarkWinds

DarkWinds

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

Prince of Hate: A personal favourite of mine.

Killfrenzy: A vessel from the Gothic War, famous for blocking vox-channels with a constant stream of "killfrenzykillfenzykillfrenzy"

DW

#30 TheHeavenlyLily

TheHeavenlyLily

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Tears of Betrayal - Tzeentch

Promises of Power - Undivided

Illicit Sensation - Slaanesh

Price of War - Khorne

The Host - Nurgle

Ever Promise - Tzeentch

Touch of Perfect - Slaanesh

Dark Destiny - Undivided

Testament of Absolution - Undivided

Siege Perilous - Iron Warriors

Kiss of Terra - Emperor's Children

Joy in Suffering - Death Guard

Ever Seeing Eye - Black Legion

#31 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:07 AM

Make a list of dark, grim, brooding, evil, malicious, woeful sounding words. Go to the internet and translate those words into Latin. Or…
Go to Google, type in "bible names" and you will see a link for "List of biblical names". It has names beginning with every letter in the alphabet.

I know this is going to seem a bit campy, but I've been waiting to introduce the Sticky Wicket (a metaphor for difficult circumstances), a Slaughter-class Cruiser, into the campaign I'm hosting. I know it doesn't sound ominous or dreadful, but you have to admit that once the Players hear the name they'll never forget it.

And, I know no one will believe me, but since it was stolen (STOLEN, I TELL YOU!) by Blizzard, there's no sense me holding onto it anymore… Vengeance Wake is a name I've been using since Battlefleet Gothic first dropped. Originally, it was the name of my  Retribution-class Battleship. Now, it is a pre-Heresy Apex-class vessel of immense scale, dwarfing even the Emperor and Retribution-class Battleships, larger than a Universe-class Mass Conveyor. The vessel itself is unique among all others…it's drive system is powered by a singularity device, and therefor has no need for a Gellar Field. The vessel itself has attained a unique (IMO) status among the Players and their Acolytes, being viewed as an inanimate nemesis, a tangible "ghost ship", the appearance of which never bodes well. (For those of you interested in a sci-fi opera with war and politics and singularity travel that breaks the mold and doesn't attempt to insult your intelligence, I recommend 'The Risen Emperor' and 'The Killing Of Worlds', by Scott Westerfeld.)

Four Idolator-class Raiders, collectively known as The Quaternion (an Alpha Legion infiltrator host-fleet). Imagine the silent, evil glee you will experience as your Players search for The Quaternion, unaware it is four places and not just one.

Others I've used…

Magog
Bale Child
Ignis Mortis
Gravity Well
Pugnaculum Desolatio

#32 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hades class Heavy Cruiser - Scary Bunny

#33 DarkWinds

DarkWinds

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

Here's what I came up with whilst coming up with a name for a Slaaneshi vessel. I chose the first:

Iridescent Perfection

Flawless Kaleidoscope

Faultless Execution

Ecstasy of Conflict

Lovecraft

DW

#34 Paulus Rex

Paulus Rex

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

My group is not yet at this stage, but when they do, these would probably be some of the names, along with the PC's who would captain them:

The Ecstasy of Debauchery - Mir'anda Blaq (Apostate of Slaanesh)

Honor Amidst Depravity- Hugo von Krieg (Renegade of Khorne)

The Exiled Son- Sterling von Meuer (Heretek of Nurgle)

#35 Drake56

Drake56

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

in my campaign we are running it as a CSM campaign and the guys choose my chaos marine legion  "the sons of Heru" who worship a dead chaos god who is slowly coming bak and is a bit peeved after his 4 so called brothers did him in. and we have named their ship

MORTIS REX

#36 brother maxximus

brother maxximus

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

our vagabon class freighter is called "Voodoo Mama Ju Ju" or the voodoo. but im assuming you want an real name soooo "In The Name Of The Legion" that sounds cool.

#37 Derbius

Derbius

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

"Chains of Judgement" was reneamed in "Hungry for slaughter" as it's macnhine spirit call him so. It's aggressive and bloodthirsty spirit witch want to hear a music of war again. 

#38 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

'Nutus Manifestus' - cod Latin, literally, 'The Gods' Will Manifest'

'Pray for Plague' - a Nurgle one based on a metal song.  

And obviously for the Khornates, the 'KILLMAIMBURN'

'The 11th Hour' - Malal ship, for all you fans of the fifth Chaos God

And of course…'Allager Kateuthunsawn' - cod Greek for 'Change of Directions'

#39 Apache

Apache

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

• The Maelstrom Falcon (Name courtesy of friends from a LRP game)
  • Andromeda's Wake
  • The Black Hand
  • Fortune's Fool
  • Team Evil
  • Vanya's Bloody Purpose
  • The Corpse-Emperor's Final Judgement

#40 Illithidelderbrain

Illithidelderbrain

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Since it hasn't been mentioned, The Event Horizon.

Wish I could like this ten more times.

Misery's Lash

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS