Forbidden Lore: An unofficial supplement by Nathan "N0-1_H3r3" Dowdell

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Fantastic stuff so far. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Question; would you allow these psychic powers in an Only War game? I think all they really would need is a Psy Rating requirement on some of them.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#42 Tristelune

Tristelune

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hi N0-1_H3r3,

Thank you for the great stuff! Awesome work.

I can imagine you work on this during your spare time, so, i understand perfectly the pace is slow.

Yet, can we expect some updates in a near future? Or is this project in stand-by for now?

Thanks for reply! :)

#43 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Anyone else noticing the link to No1's stuff leads to a blank page?

#44 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

It does. Mega-sad :(

#45 Togath

Togath

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

Any chance of that being fixed or an alternative source being posted?

#46 Lucius Valerius

Lucius Valerius

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

Any news on what happened to the site ?? 

#47 Togath

Togath

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Or an alternative source fo this material? I have some of it somewhere I think, but I am sure not all of it. 

#48 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

Fantastic work. It's good to see the old classics return. However, for the purpose of constructive criticism:

Since BC seems to have taken quite the stance on trimming the fat, as it were, on the old disciplines in favor of somewhat wider powers, I think combining a few powers, primarily Pyromancy's Call Flame+Sculpt Flame and Biomancy's Shape flesh+Cellular control into bigger, more inclusive and more expensive powers would be a worthwhile idea.

I still feel Cellular Control's risk is far, far too high. On a couple of unlucky tests, your average human psyker could kill himself with that power in two rounds flat. Changing it to simply 1 point of damage per failed test would, I think, be a lot better. I mean, if you're gonna sustain a power that keeps you alive, I'd think it a good idea that said power didn't risk killing you sooner than whatever it was protecting you from.

Levitation: I wonder if increasing the cost on this, in exchange for allowing it to ignore Flight and Hover's requirement for a move action every round, could be a good idea. Makes a bit of thematic sense, and helps counteract the already included costs for Sustaining a power and the fact that to use it, the sustain effectively becomes a half action.

Catch Projectile: The phrasing here has the same issue as Precognitive dodge. "Passed a Dodge test" is somewhat unclear on how to treat multiple hits attacks. Does the character dodge all, or merely one (they passed by scoring one DoS) or do they count DoS on the focus power test as if it was the Evasion test? Likewise, considering the fact that this is somewhat of a very limited version of Precognitive Dodge, I can't help but feel that it's very underpowered and somewhat redundant. Sure, the visual is cool, but it's just not worthwhile, in my mind. Honestly, I'd say increase the cost significantly, and possibly the sustain to a half-action, and make the character negate any ranged projectile attack on a successful willpower test, with no reaction needed.

Hopefully helpful, and not too nitpicky :)

Also, as an old Tzimisce fan, that fleshcrafting teaser is looking real damn tempting! Real curious to see what you got planned there, alongside the rituals.

Though I suspect I'd get punched by one of my fellow players if I didn't urge you to finish those obliterator virus rules too.

Quoted for reference only.

Given that much of this information shows up in the Tomes, I'd wager that Nathan quite unintentionally violated one or more NDAs and was forced by legal action to take the site down.  That's just a guess, though.

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

#49 Oden

Oden

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

Hopefully he fixes the nda's and re-uploads the rest of the content. I would really like a look at it.

#50 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

I don't have all of the most recent supplements so I'm not positive, but the last time I see Dowdell's name in an 40kRP product I have is spring of this year- in Hammer of the Emperor- which is evidently about the same time folks noticed that his site was leading to a blank page.

I draw no public conclusions, but offer up the above readily available evidence and will allow you to speculate on your own.  If anyone knows whether he has been credited more recently, feel free to say (or Nathan could show up here and say for himself, but he may not be permitted, legal matters being what they are).

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

#51 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

To provide clarification:

A little over a year ago (late 2012), FFG and I parted ways for reasons I prefer not to disclose, but which were utterly unrelated to my output as a fan of the games (indeed, it was that output that got me noticed by FFG in the first place). Independently of that, the servers hosting my webpage ceased functioning.

At present, I do not have access to the full and original versions of the files that were on my webpage - they're on my PC hard drive, rather than on my laptop, which I cannot presently use in my current situation (it takes up too much room). Consequently, I can't at this point replace my webpage or its contents. Further, I've been somewhat 'burnt out' on 40k in general (I'm even behind on the Horus Heresy novels, in spite of my best efforts) for the last year or so, meaning that I'm not likely to get back to completing various fan projects until I've cleared my head somewhat.

I thank everyone who has shown interest and enthusiasm for my work, both professional and personal, over the past few years.

• Darth Smeg and Simsum like this
Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#52 WalkinDude

WalkinDude

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

To anyone still scouring the web in search of the supplement: I found it.

• Darth Smeg, Theofonias, Lynata and 2 others like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS