Comprehensive FAQ project

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Zomber

Zomber

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

Ah... nice.  Although as you've said, there are errors and contradictions in that document.  Makes it tough to trust anything it says when there are such blatant wrong explanations:  

Pacifist
Q: If Pacifist must play an N when Loser calls upset, does he get compensation?
A: Yes.

I mean...did they even have someone who has played more than 6 months answer these questions?

But thank you for pointing me in the right direction, Just-a-Bill.   Someday I hope you'll be a Law.

#82 Toomai

Toomai

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Zomber said:

This one is actually correct. Pacifist played an N, used his power to win, loses because Loser had done his thing, and gets compensation because he played an N and lost.

But yeah, there's some pretty bad stuff in the FAQ. I could have whipped up something better in an hour or two, and I'm sure a lot of other long-time or technical players could as well.

#83 Just_a_Bill

Just_a_Bill

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:36 AM

Toomai said:

Zomber said:

This one is actually correct. Pacifist played an N, used his power to win, loses because Loser had done his thing, and gets compensation because he played an N and lost.

But yeah, there's some pretty bad stuff in the FAQ. I could have whipped up something better in an hour or two, and I'm sure a lot of other long-time or technical players could as well.

Don't feel too bad, Zomber ... this one gave me whiplash, too. I originally had the same reaction as you in my FAQ review and Toomai had to slap some sense into me. (I guess my only defense is that I was worn out from all the research and the FAQ is so gnarly I just started expecting every entry to be wrong!)

For the record, however, that FAQ entry is still incomplete: the one-word answer is insufficient since the question is incomplete.

Part of the reason the FAQ is so crappy is that many of the questions are crappy. A good FAQ writer always rewrites the questions to eliminate potential confusion and misinterpretations. If they wanted to get away with a one-word answer (which the FAQ does a lot), then this question really should have been, "If Loser declares an upset and reveals an attack card, but Pacifist is forced to reveal a negotiate card, Pacifist wins and therefore loses because of the upset. Does he get compensation?"

Not only would the entry have been leak-proof, but folks like us wouldn't have gotten confused.

#84 pinkfloyd

pinkfloyd

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

Blobchaser said:

A comprehensive FAQ, including errata, would be greatly appreciated.  Having one point of reference has to be a good thing.

I asked:

http://new.fantasyfl...d=1&efidt=33505

an official confirmation would be appreciated.

Ditto!  Amen!!   What HE said!!!

#85 fourltrman

fourltrman

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:25 AM

/POKE

Come on already FFG put out a FAQ update. If you're going to continue to put out expansions then put out FAQ updates as well.

#86 Adam

Adam

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

The past few years this is around the time when they announce a new Cosmic product.  I would wait on that first.  A FAQ update is more likely to come after a new expansion has been launched, as it will of course bring more questions with it.

#87 Just_a_Bill

Just_a_Bill

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

I would say a FAQ update is not likely at all.  We are about to get the FOURTH installment in this series and there has NEVER been an update to the 2009 FAQ, which is long past its expiration date (and was already defective the day it was published).  If FFG gave a rat's ass about rules support we would be on version 2 or 3 by now.  But they don't, so we aren't.

Even if they ever do publish a FAQ update, I can assure you it will already be out of date, as well as incorrect.  Just get your questions crowd-sourced on BoardGameGeek and give up on this "comprehensive FAQ project" thread that FFG pays zero attention to.  Otherwise you'll be waiting forever for something that can only disappoint.  I suspect that's why they don't even try any more ... they know we will tear it apart on day one and yet again expose FFG's inability to write game rules that make sense.

• Podtrooper likes this

#88 Hasharin

Hasharin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Is the Saboteur allowed to look at his Saboteur tokens? And also at the start of the game he gets 3 per player, my friends and i had an argument that he had to place his three tokens in each players system, but the Saboteur player said he should be able to place them whereever he wanted meaning that in a six player game he could cover one players planets with detonate tokens. Thanks for the help

#89 Just_a_Bill

Just_a_Bill

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Saboteur can look at his tokens at any time. He does not have to put 3 in each player's system.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS