• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 oatesatm

oatesatm

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

satyr said:

And for the record I third or fourth the request that someone please put out a answer to these really good questions appearing here on FAQ.  So motion is carried. We await.

While I too would like some answers to few questions I have, I did notice that a FAQ request was posted in all or most of the forums and I have also noticed that a few FAQ's have been released ... so I would guess that one is on the way for CE, but that whoever is compiling it is also very busy.

#42 KevinW

KevinW

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

Yep. I'm working on it right now, but I have no shortage of other projects to do too. Still, you can expect it pretty soonish.

#43 Adam

Adam

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

satyr said:

You don't like to tinker? My god man this is Cosmic, the whole point is tinkering and breaking the rules.

No, it really isn't.  The aliens are supposed to "break the rules," but not the players.  The rulebook is there for a reason, and I have had almost no problems with the game.  In my experience, changing rules to try to "fix" a game generally results in more confusion because all rules are intimitately tied together; you change one, and it will affect the others.  Of course, Mobius Tubes timing isn't the biggest change, but I was just saying I generally don't like to tinker.  I don't think that timing change would really fix the problem with Masochist and Tech anyway.  You're free to fool with the rules all you want; I just don't personally see the need.

#44 TheDukester

TheDukester

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Adam said:

No, it really isn't.  

+1 ... it's not the point at all.

#45 KevinW

KevinW

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

FAQ coming any day now guys, just waiting for Peter to approve it now.

#46 The Warp

The Warp

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

It's Faqtastic! 

#47 Toomai

Toomai

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Well, I guess we can start asking the next set of questions now.

• When Miser plays a card that he then keeps (Flare, use of Wild Clone, etc), does the card return to the hand it was played from, or does it have to go into his regular hand?
  • If Vacuum is healed, can he still use his power? Or must he use his power before Healer can choose what to do?
  • If Reserve is zapped, does he keep the card(s) that he attempted to play?
  • Super Clone uses the phrase "up to". Does this mean Clone can choose any number between the regular compensaion amount and double that?

#48 davidmont

davidmont

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

This has come up twice in games we've played

When exactly is the game won? Is the landing of the 5th colony enough.  For instance, Vacuum allies on defense, offense wins, does vacuum have the ability to use his power to force someone to loose ships?

#49 thanosquest

thanosquest

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:16 AM

Hi, my name is Steves (Montréal, Canada). My question is regarding the Alien KAMIKAZE

In short... can he send one ship to the warp, draw two cards from the deck. If he does not like what he sees send another ship to the warp and in that fashion send one by one his ships to the warp until he gets an interesting card. Or does he have to decidde on the number of ships to send in the warp from the beggining and cannot add more afterwards.

Thanks in advance 

#50 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:23 AM

thanosquest said:

Hi, my name is Steves (Montréal, Canada). My question is regarding the Alien KAMIKAZE

In short... can he send one ship to the warp, draw two cards from the deck. If he does not like what he sees send another ship to the warp and in that fashion send one by one his ships to the warp until he gets an interesting card. Or does he have to decidde on the number of ships to send in the warp from the beggining and cannot add more afterwards.

Thanks in advance 

He must decide in advance how many ships he wants to sacrifice, and then draws the cards all at one time.

#51 crimhead

crimhead

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:29 AM

Hello.  I love what you've done with CE, and I truely appretiate the FAQ and support.  I would recommend an entire subthread for these questions (like the Talisman forum).  this would make it easier for us to avoid posting duplicate questions, and easier for you not to miss them.  But that's your call of course.

Q - Delta Scanner lets you take a card from the discard pile.  Does this mean the Cosmic Card discard pile, or any discard pile?  Is the card chosen public knowledge?

Q - Are the discard (including the destiny cards) piles public? 

Q - The Precursor Seed says "while this tech is in play you may use the extra alien power..."  does this mean that if you draw an alien with a mandatory power you can treat that power as optional?

Q - Whewn the defense needs a new hand during planning, may they wait for thr offense to chose a card before discarding and drwaing, or are the cards selected simultaneously?

#52 davidmont

davidmont

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

When playing Hate, and you need a new hand on offense, do you get the new hand, then have to hate, or do you lose the opportunity to hate?

#53 Toomai

Toomai

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

If someone uses a flare that is affected by ship count (such as Wild/Super Virus), do Macron's ships count as 4 for its purposes?

Can the Tech Scrambler be played at any time someone's using a Tech, or only when the Tech is first completed? Does it have to be when the Tech is used (analogous to a Tech Zap)?

Does Macron have to use its power (to bring one ship) before it plays its Super? Or does the playing of the Super allow Macron to not use its power at that time? (It will still be used in Reveal, of course.)

#54 Toomai

Toomai

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:25 AM

Here's a big one I came across while updating my Timing Table:

Does Void eradicate ships that Observer is trying to protect?

(I presume yes, considering how Oberserver works the same as Zombie.)

#55 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:37 AM

When a player involved in a deal makes an offer of cards which do not name exact face values, but instead are in comparison to other cards in that player's hand, is such an offer binding inasmuch as the player giving the cards must comply?

More simply put, if I agree to give the other main player "my 3 lowest Attack cards" without naming the values, am I bound to give him exactly those cards, or may I give him any 3 Attack cards in my hand?

My thought/opinion is that the "valid" parts of a deal (colonies and cards) are enforceable from the moment it is agreed upon, and the giving player is bound to comply, even though there is no mechanism to prove he is being honest.

#56 numerounoarnold

numerounoarnold

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:53 AM

If the Loser declares an upset do ties now go to the offense as opposed to the defense?

Does the Morph card copy the opponent's card before any other effects, or does it, for example, copy the value of the Tripler's card after it's been altered by his power (as his power states that it changes the value of the card)?

#57 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

numerounoarnold said:

If the Loser declares an upset do ties now go to the offense as opposed to the defense?

Does the Morph card copy the opponent's card before any other effects, or does it, for example, copy the value of the Tripler's card after it's been altered by his power (as his power states that it changes the value of the card)?

1. It's easier to think of it like this: 1) The values are equal, so it's a tie. 2) The defender wins on ties. 3) The defender wins, and therefore loses when Upset is in effect.

2. The Morph becomes a copy of the card's printed face value for all intents and purposes the moment it is exposed/revealed. It is a static effect that does not duplicate any effects that other powers/Flares may have on the card it is copying. To use your example, if I play a Morph and my opponent (the Tripler) plays an Attack 10, the morph immediately turns into an Attack 10. Then Tripler's power makes his card worth 30. If the shoe is on the other foot, and YOU are the Tripler, and you play a Morph, you apply your power to whatever the Morph becomes.

In a way, the Morph does not have a definite face value until the original face value of the opponent's card is determined, but upon that happening, no other game effect should pre-empt it. This effect is atomic; there is no way to interrupt it, happens all at once, and then does not carry over into any other game mechanic. It's tight like that.

Some additional examples of playing the Morph:

vs Chosen: Takes the form of Chosen's originally played card, not what he may eventually swap/combine it with.

as Chosen: Morph says "takes form of opponent's encounter card when revealed." This is one for the next FAQ - does it copy the opponent's card when it is turned up during the Divine Intervention draw (which could result in it being added to Chosen's played Attack card), or if/when it actually becomes Chosen's selected encounter card?

Pacifist: If Pacifist or his opponent plays a Negotiate, the Morph becomes a Negotiate as well, and Pacifist can't use his power.

as Reserve: "when revealed" implies that it only applies itself as an encounter card;  you cannot play a Morph as a Reinforcement if your opponent's encounter card is an Attack 6 or less.

as Calculator: if Equalize is declared and opponent plays an Attack card, then Calculator's effect shouldn't occur because there is no "higher" card.

as Fodder: since both cards are identical after Morph copies, there's no gap of Attack values that Fodder can play in.

as Hate: Plague defines Morph as a distinct card type from Attack and Negotiate, so playing Morph as your "hate card" is a guaranteed 3-ship penalty for all other players.

Mirror: Morph copies the opponent's card, and both cards have their digits reversed, effectively doing nothing to change the result by default.

Citadel: Morph only becomes an Attack Card when it's used against an Attack card in an encounter, so you can't use it as a citadel.

Gambler: Although a very tricksy bluff to sell, you can say, "My card is the Morph". Although the FAQ should answer this question: Say I'm defending, my opponent and I have equal ship counts, and he has played an Attack 10 (a common card with multiple copies in the deck, so not hard for me, as Gambler, to sell that my card could also be an Attack 10, tying the totals and therefore winning). If I say, "My card is an Attack 10", the attacker challenges me, and I reveal my Morph, does it become an Attack 10 before or after the point at which Gambler is determined to have lied or not?

I welcome debate on these unofficial interpretations.

#58 thanosquest

thanosquest

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hello Cosmic Fellow.

While playing yesterday with the Gambler Flare ( I was the Trader against the Gambler) I called a spread of 20 and then decided to change my mind with a spread of 10 instead (before the change of phase) my card was still face down...

As you can imagine my opponent snapped at me saying that I could not change my mind. I think that as long as I'm within a phase I can change my mind within that phase. Who is right?

In the same idea if I commit a 2 ships on the cone (Launch phase) and decide that I put too much or too little I think I can change the number of ships... but if we passed at asking for allies (change of phase I cannot have a change of heart).

Thanks in advance.

Steves Exantus

#59 Toomai

Toomai

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:57 AM

I would agree that generally, if nothing's happened since you made your decision, you can change it. But you should probably see if there are any rule sticklers at the table first.

#60 Hugesinker

Hugesinker

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

Questions

1.) The new Locust alien brings up a question I have wondered about for a while, but  it always seemed very unlikely to ever come up in an actual game with only the planet-destroying tech:  If you have orders to go to a foreign system where all the remaining planets have already been colonized by you, what do you do? Move ships around and lose your opportunity to gain a colony, treat it as if you had drawn your own order color (including the opportunity to attack 3rd party colonies in the system?), count it as a successful encounter?

2.) Also, if you are the Hacker and chose to collect compensation from a player who is receiving defensive rewards resulting from the same conflict, do you collect before or after they pick up the reward?

3.) Is it an option whether or not you take a ship from the warp during the regroup phase if you have ships there?  The Warpish and Masochist players would often prefer not to.  If it is optional, who decides when can the Masochist wild flare gets to be used?

Thanks a bunch.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS