Solo-Play?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

Having the box in hand, I can tell you really the main thing against solo-play, is how do you determine "victory"? Some threshold of DF tokens to hit? Even if injured, theres never anything that can make you actually die or unable to leave the facility. The big issue might be getting too far inside, let the proximity meter get up there, and then be injured with not enough time to escape.

I did play a 2 player game "against" myself, but that doesn't really count. I will say the two player game is quite interesting (given how it changes up the turn order with operatives, each player controlling two and what not).

For solo play, I guess the big thing would be to set a threshold of target DF points, based on the amount of operatives you choose to field.

If you can choose a good target value, then you certainly have a game you can play solo. The two player rules already account for a notion of a single player controlling 2 operatives (separate item hands, DF pools, etc.). Just play the game as normal, and add up all DF tokens at the end (minus the ones for any operatives who could not escape). Some item cards may need to be removed, as they serve no purpose in a single player game (anything that raises the proximity level, or causes operatives to be delayed).

#22 Phiveball

Phiveball

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

Too bad. Gonna have to pass on this one, at least for the time being.  I was quite excited for it too. Playing for score just doesn;t do it for me.  Also, while some randomness is good and can add excitment, I'm not digging the amount that this games appears to have in it.

#23 Dncan

Dncan

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

Hello,

The problem in playing solo just for scoring is that it would depend mainly on luck. If you set a DF target score low, it will be too easy, and if you set it high, you will be dependent on the rooms in the facility : you'll need for them not to raise the alarm counter or the game won't be "winnable" in the amount of time.

Someone posted on BGG an idea where the goal is to build an AI which will play two opponents, and you have to best it. Both you and the AI will be subject to the effects of the alarm raising or not. Another advantage is that all items will be usable (playing only one thief in the lab requires to discard some items which are usable only with several thieves in play).

The thread is titled : Infiltration for one.

I just found it and haven't given it a try yet, but I definitely intend to…

#24 Grove12345

Grove12345

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I imagine this game has some descent solo varients or ideas.

Maybe you can play each character to benefit themselves the most but later roll the die to see who will be the first player will be. if 3 people want to extract maybe the 4th wouldnt want to stay there and try his luck so he will do something else.  Winner of the role in multiple extracts should gain more benefits than the rest.

FFG showed that in Rune Age scenarios make variety. It will be super easy for them to release new scenarios cards and new objectives. It will also be easy to have co-op scenarios though i imagine the text and instructions wont be "neatly" displayed on one card, but will need the instruction booklet.

the lord of the rings game is pretty popular and thats only solo/coop. Why stop there?

#25 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Don't own the game (yet) but watched the videos- I have absolute confidence that someone'll devise a Solo variant.

Seems to me you should just have to get X amount of Data before the clock reaches 99. (Maybe start the counter at 50?) Or you have to go thru ALL the rooms and get out in time….

I really hope there's a good solo variant soon cause this game looks awesome.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS