Best H.P. Lovecraft Game?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

There's a new contender coming too in the Eldritch Horror game.  Looks good at first glance, gotta wait for the full version to come out though...

#22 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

I played and still play: AH, MoM, EH and recently just got into CoC LCG.

ARKHAM HORROR 

Goal: Explore the city, close portals and stop the great old one from awakening.

Great thematic game on a large city scale.  But I feel the mechanics get into the ways of the theme most of the time.  Everything feels a bit too "robotic".  It's like a production chain of rules and steps during your turn.  It's still an awesome game and experience and need relaxed, rested and concentrated players to make the most out of the game.

***7.5/10***

MANSIONS OF MADNESS

Goal: Find clues and resolve the mystery that haunts the mansion

This game got me by surprise.  I always wanted to find a great group to play RPGs with but too many understandable contraints (kids, families, lack of time) made it impossible.  So MoM came out and I bought it.  Played both sides but mostly the Investigators.  Now talk about theme in a game.  You really feel the dark powers toying with you and wanting to conquer you.  It's a beautiful game with cool rules and gameplay.  It's on a smaller scale (mansions, manors, courtyards) but the theme is everywhere.  Both sides are equally fun to play and many cool expansions and scenarios are available for this great game.

***8.5/10***

ELDRITCH HORROR

Goal: Explore the world and resolde three mysteries related to the Great Old One present in the game

I bought this game on release and don't look back.  It's lighter than Arkham and burrom many fun rules from it and make some weird AH rules into better version.  Combat is better, exploration feels right and the overall flow is a bit better too.  Instead of exploring a city you explore the world with your investigators.  The large scale is a bit diluted but the it's still there in some ways.  The GOOs, like in AH, have an impact when they sleep and when they're awaken but unlike AH where you have to battle the GOO when it wake, in EH it become more powerful and more present.  It's lighter than AH but still have some nice complexity and difficulty to be enjoyable and worth having even if you already own AH.

***8/10***

CALL OF CTHULHU LCG

Goal: Collect three stories before your opponent with the help of characters, supports and events.

Thanks to the reprint I just got into this LCG.  Never thought about buying in CoC since I already was deep into Netrunner but the theme always talked to me.  This game is drooling with theme.  It's quick, strategic, thematic and amazing.  It's elegant and fluid mechanics make this game an awesome experience everytime it is on the table.  Lots of factions out of the core set that let you try many different combinations and tricks.  Many known characters and illustrations were took from this game to grace many other Mythos games by FFG.  It's so much fun and so muc deep that even after dozens of games you'll still want more and try other silly faction combinations.

***9.5/10***

Based solely on personal score i'd say Call of Cthulhu LCG is the best Lovecraft themes game.  But being a huge fan of board games i'd put Mansions of Madness on top.

It's a really hard decision but if I must go with one and only one game i'd say the best Lovecraft game is Mansions of Madness.

• jhaelen and jasonconlon like this

#23 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

1st: Mansions of Madness,

2nd Eldritch Horror

3d CoC LCG

4th Elder sign

I haven't played arkham horror yet.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS