number of players and difficulty scaling

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

Happy New Year Everyone !!! Last days before X-files Invasion/Maya end of World/2013 (select your right answer)

Here are the first 2012's results From Edge's, FFG's and BBG's forums !

GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAME FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 14V, 9D
2 players : 26V, 4D
3 players : 5V, 3D
4 players : 7V, 5D

CHINA SHOP / MAGASIN DE PORCELAINE

1 player : 3V, 1D
2 players : 8V, 9D
3 players : 1V, 8D
4 players : 1V, 2D

BELLY OF THE BEATS / RENCONTRE MACABRE

1 player : 0V, 5D
2 players : 13V, 1D
3 players : 0V, 2D
4 players : 2V, 1D

ROADBLOCKS / BARRAGE ROUTIERS

1 player :
2 players : 8V, 8D
3 players : 3V, 0D
4 players :

SCATTERED / DES FORCES EPARPILLEES

1 player :
2 players : 7V, 7D
3 players : 1V, 0D
4 players : 0V, 1D

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

1 player : 1V, 0D
2 players :
4 players : 1V, 0D

#22 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Played first time with 3 people tonight on Belly of the Beast, and barely, by the skin of our teeth, won. The team was Dominic, Fenix, and Baird. The player with Dominic ran way up front and activated the resinator, and the deck ate us slowly away. I recommended the person who was playing Baird to just run to the other side of the map as fast as he could, and he had the whole swarm chasing him as Dominic and I (Fenix) got mowed down by double AI, slowing barely their unstoppable advance.

Key note, and this changes my future submissions, which will only be solo submissions if this thread continues: I have found what makes the game so unbalanced when with more players. The exploration (?) mark symbols on the maps only have one charge unless mission states otherwise (i.e. Emergence), whether you are playing anywhere between the 1 to 4 players.

That makes no sense.

The game is punishing players by letting them bring guests over to try the game out, treating the game as if it were still in solo-mode for exploration pick-ups. I realized this tonight when I was without any ammo tokens and my other group members had mediocre because they were grabbing the one-time exploration cards and drop tokens when they came up. When the session was almost over, I realized had I played solo, that would have been fair, but when you are having a difference in player amount, we each get an AI too for each person, but not an extra exploration for each person. So, the solution is to use ammo tokens to mark how many times an exploration has been used, and the card is THEN discarded when it reaches the starting player amount (weapon-drop tokens from monsters and such is still as normal). This fully balances the game as such as it would be in solo mode.

I have only played Emergence, China Shop, and Belly of the Beast thus far. If there is anything else that ignores players amount and should, change it, but as far as I can see, the only thing missing is Exploration cards are 1 use even in multiplayer, and that is unfair and discontinued in my personal friend circles. I will continue to submit solo games as I play them but submitted this option for those who wish to balance their Gears boardgame too, as I believe that was the original solution desired when the post began.

Comments? Criticisms? Will this make multi-player games fair now in Gears?

#23 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

Tromdial said:

Played first time with 3 people tonight on Belly of the Beast, and barely, by the skin of our teeth, won. The team was Dominic, Fenix, and Baird. The player with Dominic ran way up front and activated the resinator, and the deck ate us slowly away. I recommended the person who was playing Baird to just run to the other side of the map as fast as he could, and he had the whole swarm chasing him as Dominic and I (Fenix) got mowed down by double AI, slowing barely their unstoppable advance.

Key note, and this changes my future submissions, which will only be solo submissions if this thread continues: I have found what makes the game so unbalanced when with more players. The exploration (?) mark symbols on the maps only have one charge unless mission states otherwise (i.e. Emergence), whether you are playing anywhere between the 1 to 4 players.

That makes no sense.

The game is punishing players by letting them bring guests over to try the game out, treating the game as if it were still in solo-mode for exploration pick-ups. I realized this tonight when I was without any ammo tokens and my other group members had mediocre because they were grabbing the one-time exploration cards and drop tokens when they came up. When the session was almost over, I realized had I played solo, that would have been fair, but when you are having a difference in player amount, we each get an AI too for each person, but not an extra exploration for each person. So, the solution is to use ammo tokens to mark how many times an exploration has been used, and the card is THEN discarded when it reaches the starting player amount (weapon-drop tokens from monsters and such is still as normal). This fully balances the game as such as it would be in solo mode.

I have only played Emergence, China Shop, and Belly of the Beast thus far. If there is anything else that ignores players amount and should, change it, but as far as I can see, the only thing missing is Exploration cards are 1 use even in multiplayer, and that is unfair and discontinued in my personal friend circles. I will continue to submit solo games as I play them but submitted this option for those who wish to balance their Gears boardgame too, as I believe that was the original solution desired when the post began.

Comments? Criticisms? Will this make multi-player games fair now in Gears?

I agree. I though the same thing when I played my first solo game last week. When you have more ammos, your throw more dices and succeed more actions and observations shots.

#24 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for sharing ! Here we go for today ! (2 more victory on 2 players Emergence with a beginner tonight).

2011/01/03 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 16V, 9D
2 players : 28V, 4D

1 player : 3V, 2D
2 players : 9V, 9D

BELLY OF THE BEAST / RENCONTRE MACABRE

1 player : 0V, 7D
2 players : 15V, 2D
3 players : 0V, 3D
4 players : 2V, 4D

1 player : 1V, 2D
2 players : 9V, 8D
4 players :

1 player :

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

2 players :

#25 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Woops! You missed my victory in Belly of the Beast on 3 Player. We barely won. It was in my giant post.

#26 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

willmanx said:

I agree. I though the same thing when I played my first solo game last week. When you have more ammos, your throw more dices and succeed more actions and observations shots.

Yeah, I usually play boardgames solo as much as I do with friends. When I saw there was no balance on how many uses an exploration had between the amount of players, I knew that had to be the reason for the upscale difficulty.

#27 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for sharing ! a forgotten win of Tromdial on 3P belly of the beast

2011/01/03 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 3V, 2D

3 players : 1V, 3D

2 players : 9V, 8D
4 players :

1 player :

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

2 players :

#28 golem101

golem101

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Roadblocks, 4 players, 1 Victory/1 Defeat.

Great exercise in card management. You run/follow too much, you've spent too much cards/life, and you're blasted. You move too slow, you're swarmed by Tickers. You spread in too many areas, you can't revive bleeding fellow COGs. You stay in a tight group, you suffer area damage.

#29 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Yep, interesting comment. Some results from BGG and yours added

2011/01/06 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 4V, 2D

2 players : 10V, 8D
4 players : 1V, 1D

1 player :

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

2 players :

#30 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:50 AM

Well, I was going to save off from updating my plays until I'd completed my plays of Hive, but seeing as there are yet no 2 COG games of Hive listed, and, umm, 'cos we won , might as well put it up.

And it all looked very bleak around turn 3, Cole threw a Bolo into an area with 2 Drone, Kantus and 2 Theron Guard, only rolling 2 dmg. Okay, that's not so bad, but Firefight was the next AI card!!! Cole was SO bleeding out. But that was the only bleeding out, Marcus managed to revive him after surviving 2 Drone attacks himself without the benefit of cover. Skorge was looking invulnerable during the early attacks, then Reinforcements showed up, putting the final map with Drone, Skorge and 3 Theron Guards. Luckily, Skorge being Locust B and thus moving from Reinforcements meant both Marcus and Cole got to guard against him, then it was Marcus's turn and he used Pummel for two overkill Hammerburst attacks, second of which killed Skorge. Next AI card would've seen the Theron Guards activate!

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#31 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Dam said:

Well, I was going to save off from updating my plays until I'd completed my plays of Hive, but seeing as there are yet no 2 COG games of Hive listed, and, umm, 'cos we won , might as well put it up.

Oh yeah! I forgot I played The Hive too a few nights ago. So it was late, I played on casual. Played with Marcus Fenix solo. 30 mins in, I have five cards in my hand after wiping a Wretch out. Only one Drone activates. He comes up to me, I dodge while in partial cover. His 3 attack dice versus my 4 defense dice. He rolls all double-wounds and I roll no defense.

I look at my 5 card hand, I look at the dice, I look at my hand again, I look at dice again, I put game away.

#32 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Tromdial said:

Oh yeah! I forgot I played The Hive too a few nights ago. So it was late, I played on casual. Played with Marcus Fenix solo. 30 mins in, I have five cards in my hand after wiping a Wretch out. Only one Drone activates. He comes up to me, I dodge while in partial cover. His 3 attack dice versus my 4 defense dice. He rolls all double-wounds and I roll no defense.

I look at my 5 card hand, I look at the dice, I look at my hand again, I look at dice again, I put game away.

I think you mean you played Horde? Hive is the mission to kill Skorge and uses no Wretches. The wretch plus the casual difficulty level mention sorta would suggest Horde.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#33 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Dam said:

I think you mean you played Horde? Hive is the mission to kill Skorge and uses no Wretches. The wretch plus the casual difficulty level mention sorta would suggest Horde.

Horde, Hive. Hive, Horde. I was tired when I wrote that too :P

#34 Scy800

Scy800

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

I got Gears of War at Essen last year. I started the Emergence mission on solo, beat it easily. With two and  three players, Emergence was also beaten without too much difficulty. After all the stories about difficulty, we found it surprisingly easy.

But than we tried China Shop with three players. We got destroyed utterly. That berserker constantly hammering is very annoying. That coupled with some lousy attack on the rest of the locust meant a big defeat. I am very eager to try it again when my playgroup comes together next time!

#35 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

About Horde Mode, don't forget to tell in what difficulty mode you played it :)

2011/01/11 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 17V, 9D
2 players : 29V, 4D
3 players : 6V, 3D

3 players : 1V, 9D

1 player :

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

2 players : 1V, 0D

HORDE / MODE HORDE

#36 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

Just to repeat and clarify: Horde, solo, Fenix, Casual mode, lost.

#37 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Tromdial said:

Just to repeat and clarify: Horde, solo, Fenix, Casual mode, lost.

Sorry, I haven't read it well !

2011/01/13 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 17V, 9D
2 players : 29V, 4D

3 players : 1V, 9D :soblue:

1 player : 0V, 7D :soblue:

1 player : :soblue:
4 players : 0V, 1D :soblue:

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

3 players : 0V, 2D :soblue:

CASUAL HORDE / MODE HORDE FACILE

1 player : 0V, 1D
2 players :
3 players :
4 players :

#38 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:08 AM

J'ajoute une victoire et une défaite 4 joueurs à Emergence... En fait il s'agit d'une partie à 5 joueurs où nous avons joué aussi avec Anya STROUD, fraîchement reçue dans sa version Héroclix puis resoclée et repeinte. Nous avons utilisé les cartes de personnages inventées et disponibles sur Board Game Geek (il y a aussi Hoffman et Carmine sur la même feuille). Nous avons généré pour 4 joueurs.

+1V/1D on 4 players Emergence... but in fact it was a 5 players Emergence with 4 players rules and locust generations.

We played with Anya STROUD, using it revamped heroclix and the BBG custom character cards (there are also Hoffman and Carmine). It was a nice game, perfectly fitted for 5 players.

2012/01/18 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite

EMERGENCE

1 player : 17V, 10D
2 players : 30V, 4D
4 players : 8V, 6D

1 player : 5V, 2D
3 players : 1V, 10D

1 player : scénario multijoueur seulement

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

CASUAL HORDE / MODE HORDE FACILE

1 player : 0V, 1D
2 players :
3 players :
4 players :

#39 onimike

onimike

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:14 AM

i've noticed that the 2 player scenario is the easiest.

#40 Scy800

Scy800

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

After trying emergence with one, two and three players (winning them all, though just barely with three players) we had to try with four. And I can report we lost during the second stage of the mission. Damn, this game really is hard with four players. I don't even dare to try China Shop with four players...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS