Which expansions should I buy?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 drag0nfly18

drag0nfly18

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

I had the same dilemma myself after playing a few times and realized that this is one of the best games i ve ever played! So I decided to do a "little" research on which expansions to buy (if not all!). 

Ive reached to a conlusion that:

From the big expansions I should buy in that order:

Dunwich Horror:     one of the best expansions and the one to start with in terms of difficulty.

Innsmouth Horror: probably the best expansion but quite difficult to start with.

Kingsport Horror:   not quite preffered when it comes to what it adds to the game.

Miskatonic Horror:  it comes last just because is an expansion to the expansions!

From the small expansions:

The King in Yellow:                      it's the atmosphere and what it adds to the game.

The Lurker at the Threshold:     it makes the game easier and combines well with the other expansions.

The Black Goat of the Woods:   it makes the game even more difficult.    

Curse of the Dark Pharaoh:       it's like an extension to the base game.

Hope this was helpful! 

#42 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

I think Drag0nfly hit the nail on the head, with the one qualification that Lurker can make the game either easier or harder; the main thing that makes it easier is the herald, which really makes it too easy.  The one other thing that helps the investigators is relationships.  However, the new gate tokens definitely make it harder than the base set, as do the mythos cards.  The nice thing, though, is that it's more modular than most small boxes, so you can add whichever combination of those things you want (though I do still agree that it's worth getting King in Yellow first).

#43 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

So after having waited over a full year now with my friend still keeping his copy, and myself with a way better job than Walmart, I have invested finally in Arkham Horror. The game will be in the mail any day now and I probably will end up getting half the expansions in no time.

*Clapping excitedly. Can't wait for Chthulu to rip my face off!

#44 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Tromdial said:

So after having waited over a full year now with my friend still keeping his copy, and myself with a way better job than Walmart, I have invested finally in Arkham Horror. The game will be in the mail any day now and I probably will end up getting half the expansions in no time.

*Clapping excitedly. Can't wait for Chthulu to rip my face off!

Welcome aboard, my friend. It's a pleasure reading you even on this forum :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#45 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Quick add on questions.  do the expansions bring whole 'new boards' ie you don't use the original at all or are they add on boards so you use the original and the new one together?   If there is a mixture which one is which?

Wait lassie what's that noise? A few people telling FFG on a forum how to make their own games, well lassie that told them

I have three more ships than you so my opinion is twice as valid!!

#46 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Lilikin,

There are four Big Box Expansions, of which three have additional boards (Dunwich, Kingsport, and Innsmouth) and you MUST use the Arkham Board at all times.  The fourth Bib Box is Miskatonic Horror which provides cards to reduce dilution across the other expansions but does not include a board.  There are also four Small Box Expansions (Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, King in Yellow, Black Goat of the Woods, and Lurker at the Threshold). 

Each of the expansions have something to offer ~ I would suggest checking out additional threads here and over at BoardGameGeek.  Personally, I would suggest Dunwich Horror as your first Bib Box Expansion and King in Yellow for your Small Box Expansion.  I play with all of them, but I've also played more than 100 games.  Get used to the board without ANY expansions first and once you've won 70% or 80% of your games, strat to introduce an expansion.

Happy Gaming!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#47 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

With my friend and sometimes with his friends, I've yet to have seen us lose a game with the original game. Been waiting to see Dunwich but he always misplaced or forgot cards so we never get to see it, and since I got a special coupon for Barnes and Noble, I thought now is a good time to go portal squashing.

#48 CrusherJoe

CrusherJoe

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Wait, Lurker makes things easier, or too easy?  Say on, folks.  My group has yet to win a single game.  I'm about to drop a Guardian in there…

#49 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

The Lurker herald fresh out of the box is exploitable and makes the game too easy (although it is a really cool herald). So, too easy—but I have high standards. Miskatonic makes him a bit better though.

#50 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Two questions for now:

1). Does Miskatonic Horror make Kingsport more accessible during gameplay? Have heard Kingsport is one of the least favorite expansions yet was wondering if some of the other expansions made it more worth visiting.

2). Does ffg make sleeves large enough for the heralds, ancient ones, and character sheets?

#51 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

CrusherJoe said:

Wait, Lurker makes things easier, or too easy?  Say on, folks.  My group has yet to win a single game.  I'm about to drop a Guardian in there…

If you don't add some restrictions to the Lurker herald, it does indeed make the game too easy. With a 7/3 or 3/7 investigator, you can sacrifice all sanity or stamina but one, gain 6 power and pay $2 at the Asylum or Hospital to replenish all you have sacrificed. Do this a couple of times, and you're unstoppable. But if you house rule it, or choose not to exploit it, it can be a really fun herald. Not very malevolent, but still fun.

Tromdial said:

2). Does ffg make sleeves large enough for the heralds, ancient ones, and character sheets?

Unfortunately, no. If they did, I would certainly buy a bunch. You can, of course, laminate the sheets, but if you don't have a lamination machine, that requires a bit more effort.

#52 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Tromdial said:

1). Does Miskatonic Horror make Kingsport more accessible during gameplay? Have heard Kingsport is one of the least favorite expansions yet was wondering if some of the other expansions made it more worth visiting.

After adding Miskatonic Mythos in, nothing has changed in me going to Kingsport during the game to investigate rifts or whatever. But Kingsport IS good. Some people don't like the board since it doesn't have unstable locations, but many agree on the fact it has tons of good things in it. Good investigators, good items, great monsters, nasty AOs and the Epic Battle Decks that allow you to experience at max the brutality of the Great Old Ones.

Plus, the rift mechanics never dilutes :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#53 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

I agree with Julia.

Kingsport is one of the expansions that seems to not suffer from the Mythos Dilution problem that other expansions do (Think Dunwich).  You can play an entire game of Arkham Horror with Dunwich and never have to go there.  With Kingsport, no matter what mythos cards are in play, Kingsport is always a threat because it's mechanics are based on monster movement instead of gate openings.

The AOs in Kingsport are also some of my favorite with my specific favorite being Eihort.

There is a line of thinking that says Kingsport is boring because not enough monsters spawn there and while I agree that monsters could spawn there more often, I enjoy it at it's current balance anyways.

#54 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I have to tell you ~ using Miskatonic's King in Yellow Act Cards…never dilutes and always scary!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#55 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Quick question: I've got Dunwich Horror, which expansion is the best to get as a second one?

#56 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Big box are generally better bang for your buck than little box, (with the exception of Miskatonic Horror, which should always come last). You get more Investigators, Ancient Ones and monsters as well as a new board and encounters for your old board. If you're having trouble with AH and Dunwich go for Kingsport over Innsmouth. I'd recommend Innsmouth over Kingsport. It's got more unstable locations, so you've more likely to see some action, whereas Kingsport can snooze for most of the game - or it can end up with an Investigator playing the Kignsport Loner. The fact that a fan expansion exists for Insmmouth (Dark Corners of This Earth) is extra gravy.

The little box is much of a muchness. Black goat gives you extra monsters and Lurker gives you extra gates, so if you want bling go for these first. CotDP and King in Yellow do a better job with their theme. CotDP has Exhibit encounters gives you something to do on the streets and it has slightly more encounters than the others.It also has two fan expansions in support (Gilman Wing and Cult of the Godlen Scarab).

King in Yellow has a new way of losing, but this won't affect your game much unless you onlu use the set on it's own or you use the rules from Miskatonic (which you can easily download and implement) The Herald in KiY is probably the best of the four too.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#57 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

Wincent said:

Quick question: I've got Dunwich Horror, which expansion is the best to get as a second one?

I'd recommend another big box expansion, because they give you more stuff. My favorite, as people on this forum has already heard a dozen of times, is Innsmouth. Innsmouth give you 16 new investigators and 8 new Ancient Ones. Also, I think Innsmouth is most fun to play because it introduces some interesting new mechanics. Instead of having two new Other Worlds, Innsmouth introduces a new track called the Deep Ones Rising track. The Innsmouth expansion also introduces personal stories, which are completely optional. Personally, I always play with the personal stories, because I think it gives the game a little more depth, and the investigators get a purpose in the very beginning of the game. You can read more about these mechanics in the rules. It should be noted, though, that Innsmouth will suffer from dilution in the same way as Dunwich. There are, however, several ways of tuning your Mythos deck to counteract the dilution.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS