Which expansions should I buy?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:09 AM

Julia: That's an interesting point about the combination of Dunwich and Innsmouth (which I would not have known, seeing as I always play all-in games).  Based on that, I will second Julia's opinion that you should get Kingsport before Innsmouth (unless you're aching for a massive difficulty spike).

As to the small boxes: I'm still torn about whether to give a recommendation for either the King or the Pharaoh.  Like I said, they both have theme and cool encounters.  Otherwise, the only thing KiY has going for it is the Herald.  CotDP has a whole bunch of other stuff, but a lackluster Herald.  So, I suppose I'll just reiterate my initial statement: if you're really interested in Heralds, get King in Yellow.  Otherwise, get Curse of the Dark Pharaoh.

#22 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

Yeah, the speed Arkham point is a good one.  Personally, I've never actually had much interest in playing more than one board expansion (aside from the giddy first experience of having all the expansions and being all "Let's play with EVERYTHING"), though it occurs to me that if I had played more DH+KH or IH+KH games, it might seem like a more plausible option.  Perhaps not, though, because I still find Kingsport pretty boring.  I mean, you're also right to point out that it's incorrect to say that one investigator has to spend the whole game in Kingsport, but to my mind, however much time one has to spend in Kingsport is time spent doing boring things.  Also the KH Items, skills and AOs seem like the most unnecessary, though I do like its heralds (okay, Tulzscha) and investigators more than those in IH.  And the special locations are also pretty good; the Strange High House and Neil's are two of my favorite locations.

#23 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

Excellent job, Julia!  You've said most of what I would say concerning the reasons to get Kingsport before Innsmouth.  I would only add that several of the Innsmouth Ancient Ones have worshipper abilities that modify Kingsport monsters, and that Innsmouth arguably presents arguably the single greatest jump in difficulty of ANY expansion; for that reason you'll want to save it for the last board addition, when your Arkham skill have sharpened sufficiently to handle the challenge.   

#24 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

Walk, Subochre, Solan: thanks for the feedback & approval! :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#25 DaveNYC

DaveNYC

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:08 AM

Love the base game.

Would any of your suggestions for the 'first big box expansion' change for a group of casual gamers? Is Dunwich still the preferred choice?

#26 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:06 AM

DaveNYC said:

Love the base game.

Would any of your suggestions for the 'first big box expansion' change for a group of casual gamers? Is Dunwich still the preferred choice?

Yeah, definitely. It's the board that works best as first expansion, and the items provided helps a lot in creating a greater gaming experience. Plus, Injuries and Madnesses are vital. And the Herald is fun

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#27 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

Herald...?  Do you mean the Dunwich board mechanics, or the actual Dunwich Horror Herald?

#28 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:37 AM

Julia said:

And the Herald is fun

>urgent whispering< Psst!  Julia!  No Herald in Dunwich!  The Horror is in Miskatonic!

What was that noise?

#29 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

Don't forget that there is a subtly different downloadable version of the DH herald.

#30 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

jgt7771 said:

>urgent whispering< Psst!  Julia!  No Herald in Dunwich!  The Horror is in Miskatonic!

::facepalm:: yeah, sorry guys, half of my brain was asleep, not watching what the other half was writing. No Dunwich Horror Herald in the Dunwich Horror Box (sounds odd, doesn't it?)

#31 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

To be fair, the Horror is odd all around.  Even in the original story, it wasn't entirely clear whether "the Dunwich Horror" meant the monster or the horrible events connected to it (or both).  The name of the expansion, in addition to having the same problem, was also an echo of "Arkham Horror," which would seem to suggest the second interpretation (even though the exact events of "The Dunwich Horror" do not happen in a game of Arkham Horror played with Dunwich Horror).  What's more, in-game, if someone mentions "the Dunwich Horror," they might be referring to the expansion, the actual monster (or, by extension, the mechanics that cause the monster to appear), or the Herald (that is, one of the two slightly different Heralds).

I should probably end with some sort of contrived pun involving Heart of Darkness, but I can't think up a good one (such as it is, or rather, might be) and, myself not actually having read Heart of Darkness, it strikes me as cheating.

#32 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

Not to mention that the first Herald ever released was for the King in Yellow, so, at that time, no Herald could be added because none had ever thought about them! Since then all boxes but Miskatonic had (at least) one

#33 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

Um...on the one hand, I'm honestly not trying to make fun of you, and on the other hand, it's possible that I'm being dense, but, uh, that was a joke, right?

#34 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

Walk said:

Um...on the one hand, I'm honestly not trying to make fun of you, and on the other hand, it's possible that I'm being dense, but, uh, that was a joke, right?

I think you might have to elaborate...

#35 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Miskatonic has the Dunwich Horror.

#36 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

I just re-read Julia's text and I think it was an oversight. Though, the Dunwich Horror herald has been available for a long time, and MH was the first time it was available in print. Unless you count the very minor change to the DH doom token rate, it's the same herald that's been available for years, so MH has really offered zero new heralds.

#37 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

Tibs said:

I just re-read Julia's text and I think it was an oversight. Though, the Dunwich Horror herald has been available for a long time, and MH was the first time it was available in print. Unless you count the very minor change to the DH doom token rate, it's the same herald that's been available for years, so MH has really offered zero new heralds.

Yeah, that's the point. Even if there is a Herald (something apparently I'm not able to remember at all ::laughter:: sorry folks), it's not anything "new", nor "specific to that expansion" (a la Hydra / Dagon for Innsmouth). It's just a good print of something that was available for many years, with just a minor change

#38 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

Ah, alright.  Although (just to nitpick further) you could also add the new CotDP to the list, since its Herald was also posted on the site.

#39 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Very true! Even if I tend to consider the revised CotDP as a reboot of something old, and not part of the "normal" Arkham continuum (Innsmouth - Lurker - Miskatonic - still to be published). Yeah, it sounds like an X-Men something alternate story ::laughter::

#40 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

Talked to my friend and he said he will sell me the games more than likely if I just wait. His games are in exquisite condition and in the meantime I still get to play Arkham from time to time. In the meantime, I picked up Gears, and that game is fun (if you like Death Angel, worth picking up for sure).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS