26 replies to this topic

#21 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

Quixote4u@gmail.com said:

I agree, an expansion set of bombers would make a lot of sense: slow moving point buckets that have a lot of firepower but poor maneuverability.  No immelman turns here! Equating this game to Chess, the bomber is King--doesn't matter how many ships you loose, or how many of their ships you take out, each team has one piece they need to protect at all costs. Taking it up another notch, introduce the interceptors as Queens: Double moves, but lighten up of the damage compared to the fighters. 

Ah, interceptors. Now that gets interesting. See, TIE interceptors have quad laser cannons, so does it make sense to give them reduced firepower? Even if the lasers were weaker, you'd think it would average out to the same amount of damage. A-wings, however, could be even more interesting. Aren't their laser cannons supposed to be able to rotate 360 degrees in the Z-axis (vertical axis)? You can imagine the base for an A-wing having two diagonal guides indicating where it can fire and maybe you have to choose as your action whether to face your lasers backward or forward. That could get really interesting.

As far as bombers being like kings, I think that would be good for a scenario, but I wouldn't like that as a permanent skirmish rule. I think Y-wings are plenty competitive against TIE Fighters, even if the newer craft are superior. But I totally agree about less maneuverability. Having no immelmans is a good idea, and I would go further and say that no turns would be able to move it 90 degrees. All turns would have to be less than 90. Then again, even the Y-wings broke away from the 2nd death star pretty quickly when the Rebels figured out that the shield was still up in Return of the Jedi.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#22 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

Ack! Too many rules for me. I don't mind if bombers can hold their own against TIEs in this game. I just want to fly some ships against my friends. Streamlined with options -- that's the mantra for this game, I think.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#23 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

Parakitor said:

Ack! Too many rules for me. I don't mind if bombers can hold their own against TIEs in this game. I just want to fly some ships against my friends. Streamlined with options -- that's the mantra for this game, I think.

Yeah, the turning laser cannons could be complicated, but the maneuverability should be pretty streamlined -- you just make each ship have its own unique movement dial and you're restricted to the choices on the dials. You wouldn't have to remember that Y-wings can't take immelmans or anything like that because it's all on your movement dial.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#24 teufelwolf@yahoo.com

teufelwolf@yahoo.com

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

hope that we get bombers someday!

• Punning Pundit likes this

#25 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

Just.. what? I had to double-check to see if I was actually in the X-Wing forums for a moment, and not some older Armada thread. Nope, just some strange threadromancy!

"Some goals are so worthy it is glorious even to fail."

#26 AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Will the shuttle be overpowered?

MOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(translation) NOOOOOOOOOOO!

"Information always matters. Bad information leads to bad tactics. Incomplete information leads to flawed strategy. Both can lead to defeat."

#27 Dagger Squadron

Dagger Squadron

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

D@!# necro-threaders....

Imperial: 2 TIE Defenders, 4 TIE Fighters, Firespray 31, TIE Phantom

Rebel Alliance: 2 X-wing, E-wing

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS