Photo

Is your group playing home-made or pre-printed scenarios?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:42 AM

Our group is playing both 3e and 2e-updated scenarios. 

jh

#2 Bloody Sun Boy

Bloody Sun Boy

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

My previous (short-lived) campaign used a couple of my homebrewed adventures and culminated in Eye for an Eye.

My current campaign has thus far gone through The Oldenhaller Contract (which, unbeknownst to the PCs, didn't turn out so well...curse those sneaky cultists!) and has moved into Mistaken Identity, the introductory adventure to The Enemy Within campaign.  Shadows Over Bogenhafen is not far away!

#3 GaiusIII

GaiusIII

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

We started out with Eye for an Eye, which made a great intro scenario for the group.  After that, we played several free-form sessions based on the ramifications of what happened in Eye for an Eye (including the doctor's esacpe and who still remains a nemesis).  After that, the group went through my conversion of The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater, and The Final Enemy.  These were actually fairly easy to convert.  I simply changed the lizardman village in Dunwater to a mutant village, which the PCs ended up allying with to fight against a much greater common foe (sahuagin in the original D&D version).  In my version, those ended up being a tribe of particularly brutal beastmen who had been altered by a daemon of Khorne to survive underwater and were gearing up for the slaughter of everyone in the Saltmarsh region.  Once we were done with that series, the characters had so much going on with their personal stories that the game drove itself for an entire year. 

We plan on starting up a new one in Stirland on the edge of Sylvania and I've got some Ravenloft modules that should work quite well.  I expect the same thing to happen.  The PCs will go through a published scenarios and by that time, enough will have occurred in the game that they'll end up entirely driving the plot for a long time.

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Speaking of Ravenloft..I found howls in the night to be a great scenario for wfrp (combined with It's a Dog Eat Dog world).

#5 madpoet

madpoet

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

I prefere to use printed 2' or 3' edition adventures but I tend to change a lot of things.

In ashes of Middenheim I skipped  a few encounters but at the same time I added something else and a different background and rule system for the artifacts.

#6 CaffeineBoy

CaffeineBoy

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

Home made stuff, absolutely. We played through the intro scenario, Edge of Night and most of The Gathering Storm before things went off the rails. That was probably 10-12 sessions. Everybody is bumping their head against 3rd rank now and I haven't bothered doing conversions since. WFRP3e scales differently than 1e/2e/D&D so it seems easier to let the scenarios grow up organically around the characters, rather than try to balance converting scenario challenges and monster/opponent power levels.

'Course, I am kind of a seat-of-my-pants GM.

#7 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:17 AM

I am tending to run home grown stuff or heavily modified versions of the published adventures. 

I am running two campaigns and in one I am using 'The Edge of Night'. However we are 9 sessions into this campaign and it is still several days to the Masquerade Ball that makes up most of the published adventure.  In fact it looks likely that the party will end up skipping town before the Ball occurs (even though they have got some tickets to go).

In the second campaign the party ends up at Black Fire Pass so I ended up using half of "The Harrower of Thanes" but that was modified as well as the party was all human.

I have used maps, locations and NPCs from 2nd Edition stuff but no actual adventures. I think most players know "The Enemy within" and whilst it was a great campaign running it a second time wouldn't interest me. Most of the time it is easier and more effective to create something that ties in with you group of characters rather than trying to force them into something pre-written.  And given that most of my players are masters of the art of running away from anything that looks like a plot it would be pretty impossible to get them to follow anything published (my second campaign started in Ubersreik and over the course of 20 or so sessions has traveled to Black Fire Pass and now back to Nuln dodging plot hooks and adventures every step of the way).

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#8 Dorianvd

Dorianvd

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

I had a really hard time to find a proper introduction scenario. One player from my previous group joined our new group so I could not run An eye for an eye again. Ultimately I've found a D&D adventure converted to WFR 2nd Ed. I chose it because it forced me a bit to think on my feet and I've rewritten 70% of it. It was great to see "my own adventure" come to life. My players enjoyed it, but due to lack of GM knowledge they did not find out a lot of the motives of the villain.

My group is really interesting: I've got a brutal Sigmar initiate and a really nice Celestial guy. There is a lot of opportunity to "direct"them with omens, celestial calculations and magical sight. Many opportunities arise to lure the wizard to foul Choas pracitices.  My mercenary player really hates any oppressing person and employs harsh tactics to send out a message and motivate certain people to speak.

A dove was sent to the apprentice with a request from his order to investigate Ogasse. Actually it was a scheming of a fellow Celestial initiate who forged the document to bargain his life and expand his knowlegde in exchange for another "coloured fiend" to take his place at the ritual.

The party did some investigation and learned a few facts. The Sigmar initiatie gained a flock of believers who were hard to ditch when the need arose to investigate further. They gained intelligence about the bird's shop attic and tranformations in the Dove of Love. When the opportunity arose Yuri, the "Celestial" apprentice and some hoodlums tried to abduct the apprentice. With some really good use of certain action cards the apprentice escaped the net he was in and was being dragged away. I've only used the time tracker to confuse my players: it really didn't do anything. At certain intervals I've described how many times the clock tower bellowed. After the abduction attempt I have kept things moving: the adventure morphed from investigation into a race against time. When the party was stuck I had a cowardly rat catcher NPC provide them a bit of information and after an exchange of brass coins and Fel checks he was convinced to lead them to an entrance pipe of the sewer.

Now they are fighting an abundance of cultists ("Oh that person is a cultist too?!"  :D The priest had motivated his flock very succesfully to donate small gifts to the mutant and beggar Leo Duer).

The intiatie priest and player really (dis)likes beastmen. I was thinking of implimenting  beastmen attracted to the surroundings of the village due to the foul magic energies of the ritual. I will give the party the opportunity to some down time after they roll up the ritual. The plan is not to create a whole lot of Choas with beastmen rushing in when the ritual is taking place (=> not the same situation as An eye for an eye :)). The beastmen know it would be hard to rush the village in an uncoordinated attack.

Any tips how to make this work?

Ogasse is a "small" town in my games. It is a labyrinth of streets, houses, corridors... with only Shallyan priests and it had a representative of every magical Order. The party still doesn't understand how the bodies of the deceased are properly buried without a priest of Morr.  :)

The city is run by the "local" and minority of official authority and as everyone in town they are working together to create better odds in this miserable town..

As you can see I use prewritten adventures, because I know there would still be be many gaps when I write my own adventures. I do rewrite a lot of stuff in and out of sessions. I force myself to create situations where I have to improvise: that's my way of subtly coming out of the comfort zone.

I am not comfortable enough to create a whole siege scenario of beastmen attacking Ogasse. It doesn't make a lot of sense in my head either. Beastmen are not stupid and would know it would take a temporary coordinated attack.

I think the best idea is to let the scattered beastmen (they don't feel the abbundance of magical energies by the ritual anymore) harras the players when they are travelling.

Any tips or other ideas how to do that? I don't really like random encounters.  :)

It would be very helpful if you could direct me to any adventure where I could convert enemy X into beastmen or approproiate beastmen adventures in this situations.  :)

I have read the Eye of Sigmar, The Green Man and Stop The Rot, because those adventures have beastmen as adversaries.

#9 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

Overall I use mostly pre-written 3rd adventures, tailored with my takes on things, and have adopted/adjusted 2nd edition and fan adventures.

Experience and reasons similar to others above.  Particularly for the more story-driven/not trapped in a mad wizard's amusement park of a dungeon setting of WFRP, using PC interests/background/choices - usually rewarding for all - means at a minimum revising a published adventure (whether official or fan-written).  There's enough material floating around I can often find something easily adapted (e.g., a simple inn under siege scenario with bit of ghost story background The Drowning Well adjusted by changing dead witch hunter to dead elf, since we had an elf in party and good times ensue).

I quite liked 3rd Edition's Enemy Within for its effort up front to have Players "pick their own path" into the adventure with the background questions, which then dictated the course of the adventure (ultimately including who the villain was).

Current campaign Enemy Within, feature villain changed in Part 1, shenanigans elaborated Part 2, Part 3 very revised including mini-missions - one based on 2nd edition's Burn Before Reading.  Then a boat trip back to Averland which combined some inspiration from 2nd edition Forges of Middenheim chapter with boat-trip but replacing the killing with a mix of my campaign's threads now generating their own action and the Ice King of Kislev "mini-supplement".  In Averheim it's 2nd edition Brutal Finish followed by a transplanted from Ubersreik to Averheim 3rd edition Mirror of Desire (in final stretch now, the post-script part of formal adventure which leaves what the mirror's prisoner actually does up in the air so this is now into homebrew) as we gear up for a voyage to the Southlands (voyage and side-trek/mini-scenarios along way pretty much homebrew, once there a revised River into Darkness (Paizo)/Heart of Darkness (novelette) trip up-river.

• d6 Evil Men likes this

#10 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

Generally speaking, home made. The pre-made scenarios are used as emergency filler when one of the players can't show and I need something to run for one evening. Then I just crank out some appropriate characters, give them back stories that motivates them to get involved in the adventure and let the players pick one each.

#11 d6 Evil Men

d6 Evil Men

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

@dorianvd - have you checked out the Sweetest Kiss from Daily Empire? It could be a source of inspiration. You can find it here: http://dailyempire.guildredemund.net/

#12 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Mainly printed scenarios, but from different sources.

We've done official 1st, 2nd and 3ed scenarios. As well as fan made WFRP scenarios for different editions.

Call of Cthulhu adventures also work well for WFRP with some adaptions. 

But almost always pre-printed scenarios, with changes and adaptations to fit the setting, characters and previous adventures of the group.

#13 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

It would be very helpful if you could direct me to any adventure where I could convert enemy X into beastmen or approproiate beastmen adventures in this situations.  :)

I have read the Eye of Sigmar, The Green Man and Stop The Rot, because those adventures have beastmen as adversaries.

The Drowning Well has a beastman theme in it, which I elaborated in my own 3rd edition adaptation.  In theme above, the PC's were transporting an insane noblewoman to an asylum (post Horror of Hugeldal official adventure revised a bit) because what's better than a haunted inn and beastmen?  An insane noblewoman inside the inn with you.  3rd edition stress etc. does horror stories quite well.

#14 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

We started with our german Podcast Group Ohrhammer with Eye for an Eye and after that The Gathering Storm in 18 sessions.

After the not so nice digging in the sigmarite tempel they decided better to leave the Reikland for a while and went to Karak Azgaraz.

Then we left the official 3rd Stuff.

Next I added the dwarven Trading Post to the Map of The Teufeltal. Named in the Halls of Urbaz Varn I used a slight converted Adventure from the german Dwarf Adventure Book Kar Dodadosch. Changed only a little the names, and careers of the npcs.

After that they went to Karak Azgaraz and I used an Adventure hook from the Black Fire Pass Sourcebook concerning a missing Head Prospector. For the Fights under the Karak I used a map from Karak Azgal, Adventures under the Dragon Crag. Also my Karak Azgaraz is a mix of the official one and taverns and locations are used from Karak Azgal. So our current Karak Azgaraz has a temple of Gorlaz the golden.

Second Adventure in Karak Azgaraz was complete free of my mind concerning the missing Eagle, turned into a dragon hunt  and then lead into the church of Gorlaz the golden.

As the slayer of my group had a vision of Korgan and the mentioning of Karak Dronar, Harrower of Thanes will be next. And after that I'm currently working on a Adventure using my knowledge of the man o'war battle ship game from GW and Silent Hunter III.

The group will go to Barak Varr as the slayer is actually from there having fled his clan instead of going on a ship. Plan is that this scenario will turn into a dwarven version of Das Boot.

So a suicide Mission on a dwarven nautilus with open war against the Tileans, plus three saboteurs on board. One from the Cragbow Clan, one from Arkat Fooger of Marienburg and one for his own honour.

• Emirikol likes this

#15 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Also speaking of Ravenloft, the Death Unchained and Death Ascendant would make a interesting conversion to WFRP

#16 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Agreed.  Ravenloft's scenarios seem very adaptable to WFRP.

jh

#17 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

They have that darker feel and generally have less combat and more investigation going on. Someone mentioned CoC and their adventures probably port over fairly well for the same reason. I could see any of the adventures from say, Kingsport working well, except perhaps the strange old house on the hill, dunno how WFRP would deal with the dreamlands :P

#18 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

[...]dunno how WFRP would deal with the dreamlands :P

It could be part of a chaos realm, if you really want to. Chaos realms can be used as most other worlds in Lovecraft litterature, after all, they are chaos realms and could change into almost anything. :)

Edited by k7e9, 05 July 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#19 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Turn hounds of Tindalos into super fleshounds :P

Zoogs as nurglings!!

But what to do about all the damn cats :D

#20 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

For ideas about the Warhammer equivalent of the Dreamlands (incl. both Morrite and Slaaneshi elements) check out the novel Wine of Dreams by Brian Stableford (Craig). Basically the shadow-self portion of everyone's soul (i.e. their 3rd eye) resides in the Aethyr, so shared dreams are setting-appropriate and could even take place in or near a Realm of Chaos, as mentioned above (if the character's dream-self is lured there somehow). I don't think anyone would open a portal directly into the Realms of Chaos with the intention of entering it themselves, so it's a bit different from the HPL Dreamlands in that respect. Think of it more like group astral projection with the possibility of being lured astray by demons. Normally once your soul is sucked into the RoC though, that's it - there's no going home afterwards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS