New plug-in for creating homebrew cards

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:05 AM

You're right, that's a bug. I'm working on it.

#22 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

The new version 2.1 is out at http://www.4shared.c...6sOk6/LotR.html. The scaling bug is removed. Additionally, The Hills of Emyn Muil encounter set icon is included and selectable for quest and encounter cards.

#23 Svenn

Svenn

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

The updated version is now available on Tabletop Geeks as well. :)

#24 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:19 AM

GeckoTH said:

A database of all the known custom scenarios has already been set up over at BBG:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - Adventure Database

This list also allows players to rate all the scenarios, providing others with a way to see which ones are the favorites. This list also stays up to date even if someone updates their custom scenario to a new version!

Not bad. I am not sure how messy this will after there is 100+ scenarios out there... The It would be easier if you could some how filter those scenarios besed on what  Epic journey the quest belong, difficulty level etc. But that would need somekind of database...

Even now, when there are only 25 scenarios, it takes some time to find out what you are looking for. Allso the information is a little slim. Only the name and difficulty at this moment. But even now this is very usefull! I am just being afraid that arter more scenarios are released, it may become more and more difficult to find what you are looking for.

The summary in the top of the page is the most important part of this portall! It should give some information: difficulty and average rating and quick link to the host page (where the files and additional information can be found) Maybe nothing more, so that the "Link"-list woud remain easy to read. So actually it is guite good as it is now, The only "killer" feature missing is the link to the host page. And because the scenario list is an picture at this moment, it can not be easily added. So normal list with a link would be easier to do, byt then the rankin system would be difficult to maintain... Hmmm... maybe they could be separed from each other?

Thanks for all the ansvers!

#25 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

Svenn said:

If you guys want a page with more info than just name, author, and link I could set up a specific scenarios page with more detail. Doesn't take long to toss up a new page. ;)

Honestly, I'm not much into playing custom scenarios myself, but if it holds interest for other people or generates more interest in the game I'll put up whatever you want. Let me know what the best way to go about it would be. As I said, I'm definitely willing to host up files for anyone who needs a place to put them. I'm also trying to put links to other scenarios I've seen around.

I looked your page and it definitely has a lot of stuff in there! So a separate page for scenarios could be more "user" friendly
If you host files, then small introduction to scenatio would be nice. If you only provide link, then the host of linked scanario is better place for information. I am not sure how much and how often scenario makers update their old scenarios, but if they do, the information conserning the scenario can become obsolete quite soon, so It is allways easiest, if the maker of the scenario provides the deeded information. "What are special rules", what cards go to the encounter deck, and what don't. Any other rules that are not normal (many scenarios provide scaling rules) And story line introduction is allways nice to have! It adds so much flavor to the scenario!

The most easy thing would be if people start using Quest sheet template along their custom scenarios!
http://boardgamegeek...late-300dpi-psd

You would just have to store the the Quest sheet that contains all scenario information and pdf that contains the nesessary cards. After that only thing what you would have to do is provide list of scenarios: the name, maker and difficultu and lin to those two files.

#26 Xealous

Xealous

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

.o/ Very snazzy stuff. 

Quick question, I may be just dumb an missed it, how do I add stat icons into the text of the card. :/ ie: "+1 (shield)" for defence.

#27 Bungo_Underhill

Bungo_Underhill

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:57 AM

Will this run on a MAC?

#28 zeb

zeb

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:59 AM

Bungo_Underhill said:

Will this run on a MAC?

Strange Eons is Java. It runs on Linux, and I assume it runs on Mac too.

#29 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:38 AM

@Xealous:

It's accessible via typing    <ds>      An overview of all replacement tags is in the lower left of the Strange Eons window (when you create an event card and go to the "Event" tab).

There's another way, with which you can define the size of the icon. Click into the textbox in whose text you want the icon to appear. Go to Toolbox -> Image Resource Browser. (If the Image Resource Browser is not there, you've got to download it: Toolbox -> Catalogue -> Select teh browser and download and install it). Then go to the Lotr/templates folder and search for "DefenseStrength.png". You can bareley see the preview because it's black on black. Then click on "Insert mark-up" and close the browser. You'll see that this text will have been added:

<image "res://LotR/templates/DefenseStrength.png">

Change it to

<image "res://LotR/templates/DefenseStrength.png" 2 0.5>

The first number is for width, the second for height.

@Bungo_Underhill & Zeb:

Right, as far as I know SE and the plugins are Java/JavaScript. So there's a good chance that it will run on MAC. Since I don't have a MAC, I cannot guarantee it (or help you in case it doesn't work ). But it's sure worth a try.

#30 Doom1502

Doom1502

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

I think I found a little bug in the plugin. (While browsing over this thread, I haven't seen it already posted - sorry if it was already mentioned)

When you create an Event Card and change the sphere to neutral the little circle containing the sphere icon doesn't vanish as it should.

(And a little cosmetical error: If you create a hero-card, the displayed custom-card is Galadriel. She has the traits Noble and Silvan. That's wrong, Galadriel is a Noldor.)

I hope this helps,

cheers!

D1502

#31 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

Hey there,

I only recently found about the existence of this plug-in and thought I'd offer the following:

1. There is a new version of Strange Eons inching closer to completion that will provide better support for games other than Arkham Horror (in fact, AH will become an optional plug-in just like any other game). Although many plug-ins that add support for new games will continue to work (when a "compatibility mode" is set), a little extra work is needed to take advantage of the most powerful new features. In any case, most plug-ins need only minor changes. Get in touch with me and I'll help you make the transition.

This version will make the larger Strange Eons API available to plug-in developers for the first time, as opposed to just the script libraries. I expect to see people doing some pretty amazing things, since I'm already amazed by what people do with the much smaller palette currently available to them.

2. You are welcome to include the plug-in in the plug-in catalogue if you want to. Let me know.

Cheers,
Chris

#32 Memetix

Memetix

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

I've had a little play with the tool and found it really easy to use, great work.

Once I've finished my first new quest I'll be sharing it with the community....

#33 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

Doom1502 said:

I think I found a little bug in the plugin. (While browsing over this thread, I haven't seen it already posted - sorry if it was already mentioned)

When you create an Event Card and change the sphere to neutral the little circle containing the sphere icon doesn't vanish as it should.

(And a little cosmetical error: If you create a hero-card, the displayed custom-card is Galadriel. She has the traits Noble and Silvan. That's wrong, Galadriel is a Noldor.)

I hope this helps,

cheers!

D1502

Thanks! I'm always looking for such errors/mistakes. The resource circle of neutral events will be eliminated in the next update (or are you currently working on a neutral event card? I could release the next version of the plugin earlier, if you need it).

And Galadriel will also be Noldor, then ;-)

#34 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:04 AM

Thelric said:

Hey there,

I only recently found about the existence of this plug-in and thought I'd offer the following:

1. There is a new version of Strange Eons inching closer to completion that will provide better support for games other than Arkham Horror (in fact, AH will become an optional plug-in just like any other game). Although many plug-ins that add support for new games will continue to work (when a "compatibility mode" is set), a little extra work is needed to take advantage of the most powerful new features. In any case, most plug-ins need only minor changes. Get in touch with me and I'll help you make the transition.

This version will make the larger Strange Eons API available to plug-in developers for the first time, as opposed to just the script libraries. I expect to see people doing some pretty amazing things, since I'm already amazed by what people do with the much smaller palette currently available to them.

2. You are welcome to include the plug-in in the plug-in catalogue if you want to. Let me know.

Cheers,
Chris

Yes, I'd like to adapt the plug-in to the upcoming API changes and any help is appreciated, and the plug-in catalogue sounds also like a good thing! I'm getting in contact with you via your website's formular

Greetings,

Pete

#35 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

Memetix said:

I've had a little play with the tool and found it really easy to use, great work.

Once I've finished my first new quest I'll be sharing it with the community....

You're welcome! Great to hear that you're working on new custom cards :-)

#36 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Pete, thanks for making this great plug-in.  By and large, it works terrifically well.  Just one major issue, though, that the unique symbol doesn't seem to export for some reason.  I also find some of the default text sizes to be a little off... for example, the Trait field (e.g., Item. Dwarf. Artifact., etc.) seems like it should be size 7 instead of 7.5, and the flavor text should be size 5.  But that can all be adjusted personally, whereas the unique symbol export issue is definitely a bug that you would need to look into.

And many thanks again to Chris for the mighty Strange Eons!

#37 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:03 AM

Grudunza said:

Pete, thanks for making this great plug-in.  By and large, it works terrifically well.  Just one major issue, though, that the unique symbol doesn't seem to export for some reason.  I also find some of the default text sizes to be a little off... for example, the Trait field (e.g., Item. Dwarf. Artifact., etc.) seems like it should be size 7 instead of 7.5, and the flavor text should be size 5.  But that can all be adjusted personally, whereas the unique symbol export issue is definitely a bug that you would need to look into.

And many thanks again to Chris for the mighty Strange Eons!

You're welcome! Thanks for posting these issues. I work on them. I'm pretty busy right now and I also found another bug which I want to eliminate in the next version, so it could take some time until everything is finished. Meanwhile there's a workaround for the bug about the unique symbol in the title: Don't use <uq>, but <image "res://LotR/templates/Unique.png" 0.26>. Does this work for you? This would also offer the opportunity to change the size of the unique symbol (0.26).

Greetings,

Pete

#38 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Thanks, Pete.  Yes, that works.  I put the size at .2, which seemed right.

#39 Shiv@n

Shiv@n

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hello,

I find this software is amazing and I introduced it on the french non-official forum, it has some fans already !!

Two of the (many) questions :
- How may I translate it to french (menu/interface)
- How may we modify the card type (french for "Hero" is "Héros", "Location" is "Lieu", ...)

Thanks again and let me know how I can make the translation (and complete the icon too maybe) !!

#40 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Shiv@n said:

Hello,

I find this software is amazing and I introduced it on the french non-official forum, it has some fans already !!

Two of the (many) questions :
- How may I translate it to french (menu/interface)
- How may we modify the card type (french for "Hero" is "Héros", "Location" is "Lieu", ...)

Thanks again and let me know how I can make the translation (and complete the icon too maybe) !!

Great that you're spreading the software, and also that you want to translate it! The plug-in is adaptable for different languages, so any help for e.g. a French version would be appreciated :-)

Actually, the card types are translatable strings, too. So that shouldn't be a problem. More problematic could be special characters like with accent cédille. I send you a PM with more informations!

Greetings,

Pete

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS