Homebrewed Magnus

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Latoshi

Latoshi

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

Sorry if this is a bump, but it wont allow me to edit my post again. I noticed an error on my part with the revised edition of konso. That is for the example for carry capacity it has 11 as the minimum which has been changed so anyone reading this please remove that from the copy you may have of this magnus.

People are not failures simply because they try and fail.

Only when they fail and give up have they truely failed.

#42 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

Something our GM and I have been working on:

Ophiucos, Second Technique

Requirements: Ophiucos, Defense Ability 250+

Base Weapon: As Ophiucos

DP Cost: 10                MK Cost: 20

Another use of the Lord of the Infinite Swords lies in defense. After rolling for the amount of attacks the user can unleash in a given round, he can make an additional number of defenses without penalty up to the result on the d10 roll. If the user of Ophiucos is the first in terms of initiative, he can decide to sacrifice some or even all of the attacks he can make using Ophiucos to use them for defense later this round. As with attacking, every use of Ophiucos costs 1 generic ki point.

#43 Latoshi

Latoshi

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

I like the concept, but if im not mistaken there are already rules for sacrificing attacks for additional defenses, anyone is free to correct me on this, and if that is so then you could sacrifice the attack gained by ophuicos's absolute liberation ability if you had initiative regardless.

#44 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

Latoshi said:

I like the concept, but if im not mistaken there are already rules for sacrificing attacks for additional defenses, anyone is free to correct me on this, and if that is so then you could sacrifice the attack gained by ophuicos's absolute liberation ability if you had initiative regardless.

AFAIK you can scrifice attacks to get counterattacks, but not for defense.

#45 Latoshi

Latoshi

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

Okay, i dont have all of the books at hand right now so i coudlnt say for sure, thank you for correcting me.

#46 Black-Fox

Black-Fox

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

You cant do either of those things with Ophiucos, as it is not granting you extra attacks in a round, its a special attack where you get to make multiple attacks as a part of it.

#47 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Black-Fox said:

You cant do either of those things with Ophiucos, as it is not granting you extra attacks in a round, its a special attack where you get to make multiple attacks as a part of it.

I think he was talking about any character's ability to make a counterattack instead of an ordinary attack, and that has nothing to do with Ophiucos. You are, of course, right but again this was not what he was talking about if I understood him correctly. 

#48 Latoshi

Latoshi

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

You are correct black-fox, With regards to ophuicos it is a special attack, looking over the books a little now I realized this, Disregard my post earlier. With regards to the magnus, in the circumstance its a good addition to the already present magnus.

By the way Black-Fox im currently working on a new magnus, nothing is final yet but its a Major Ars Magnus for the more tank characters. I'll send you a private message once i get the rough draft done with. :)

#49 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

I have made techniques for Ophiucos, that I tried to post here. I couldn't, because this forum won't let me paste stuff. If you're interested please go to cipher anima forums. It's under fan made.Sorry for the inconvenience.  

#50 ElricOfMelnibone

ElricOfMelnibone

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Just two questions:

1) Could you post the link to the other forum?

2) How can techniques be based on Ophiucos, considering that using Ophiucos prevents from using techniques? A while time ago I made a Magister version for Ophiucos that allowed to choose among different advantages (in a way similar to Cancer and Sagiptarius Magister), among which was one that allowed acting independently from Ophiucos attacks, even using Magnus and/or Techniques.

#51 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

http://cipher-studio...hp?topic=9115.0

#52 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

I know Elric, I've read them. One of my techniques is partly ispired by your ideas. And they are not really techniques... more like Ophiucos advanced, but read it yourself.

Edit: I hesitated to call those Ophiucos Magister because of the changed mechanics and the sacrifice stuff, but yeah, one could call it Ophiucos Magister.

Edited by Heart of the Tiger, 27 February 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#53 ElricOfMelnibone

ElricOfMelnibone

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

I just read your rules and I like them very much. They are a beautiful alternative to what I've designed for very Ophiucos-focused characters!

Anyway, for representing Byakuya's shikai and/or Bankai have you given any reading to the Asteroid Impossible Weapon I designed a while ago to add it to the Planetary Impossible Weapons (which were originally designed by King Vitty)? The use of Asteroid (and its Magister version) is extremely similar to Byakuya's fighting technique, so I suggest you to give it a look. If for some reason you cannot find it in the forum, just write back, and I'll conveniently post it here.

#54 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:31 AM

Thank you. What do you think of the costs and the bonuses? I think the DP and MK costs may be too high, considering that many characters won't be able to reach the prerequisites for Ophiucos prior to level 8 or 10. Maybe I'll rework the whole Impossible Weapon.

I thought of something like this:

Ophiucos, Limited Use:

Prerequisites: Attack Ability 150+, Aura Extension, Inhumanity

DP: 10 MK: 20  

Ophiucos, Area Liberation

Prerequisites: Attack Ability 200+, Limited Use

DP: 10 MK: 30

Ophiucos, Absolute Liberation

Prerequisites: Attack Ability 250+, Area Liberation, Zen

DP: 30 MK: 50

This way, the wohle thing is rearranged into "techniques", that can be bought a lot earlier than before and you dont need to save up that much DP or MK.

Anyway, I'll probably set the minimum cost for Area Liberation Mastery to 5 ki points, that seems reasonable.

Still trying to wrap my head around the final technique, bonuses seem very high, but so are the maluses. I mean you're gonna drop unconcious without any ki points... and for a whole day. Please note that, for the final technique, i tried to make the damn thing unappealing for characters with too many ki points, while still balancing it around ki. Someone with very many ki points will probably last 1 or max 2 rounds longer than someone with just their base amount.

If you, or someone else has an idea for additional techniques, please don't hesitate to post them.

Edited by Heart of the Tiger, 01 March 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#55 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

And I really can't seem to find those Planetary Impossible Weapons, please post the link.

#56 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Here is the link: http://community.fan...ssible +weapons

However, Asteroid Belt was never posted, so I will take the liberty to do so:

ASTEROIDS:FRAGMENTED WEAPON

Requirements: Will10+, Attack160+, Defense160+, Inhumanity.

Base Weapon: None.

Cost: 60 MK: 60

Base Damage: 60/70. Speed: +10/+5.

Primary: Cut. Secondary: Thrust.

Breakage: 2/3. Fortitude: N/A.

Req. Str.: N/A. Presence: As Base.

Special: Damage, Fragmentation, Fragment Barrier, Fragment Belt, Fragment Spry, Size Dependence.

Quality: Asteroids benefits from any Quality bonus the fragmented weapon has.

Damage: Asteroids doesn’t add the Strength bonus of the user to its Damage.

Fragmentation: Before rolling for Initiative, the user of Asteroids must hold a Medium Sized or Larger weapon in hand and spend 10ki points in order to be able to use the Magnus in that turn. When fragmenting the weapon the user chooses whether to use it for a Fragment Barrier, a Fragment Belt or a Fragment Spray. During following turns the weapon can be kept in the same form without spending any further ki points or it can be shifted to a different Fragmented form at a cost of 5 points or returned to normal at a cost of 1 point. While controlling Asteroids a character cannot make any Attack Action, nor combine it with any Technique or Ars Magnus.

Fragment Barrier: Fragment Barrier grants its user a Supernatural Shield with 200 Resistance Points if generated from a Medium Sized Weapon and 300 Resistance Points if generated from a Large Sized Weapon, regenerating completely its Resistance Points at the beginning of each turn. Whenever the Fragment Barrier blocks an opponent’s melee attack, the offender suffers an Asteroids Attack with a Predetermined Final Attack Value of Almost Impossible plus Asteroid’s Quality Bonus. The user cannot spend Fatigue points to increase Defense Rolls with Fragment Barrier. Such attacks allow no Counterattack.

Fragment Belt: Fragment Belt creates an Asteroids circular belt around the user with a radius of 2m for a Medium Sized Weapon and 3m for a Large Sized Medium. The belt moves with the user who can walk with his normal Movement value, but can’t run. Whenever an individual, friendly or enemy is caught within the belt, he/she will automatically suffer an Asteroids Attack with a Predetermined Final Attack Value of Almost Impossible plus Asteroid’s Quality Bonus. Such attacks allow no Counterattack.

Fragment Spray: Fragment Spray allows its user to make a single Area Attack affecting all individuals in front of him caught within a trail wide 2m and long 4m for a Medium Sized weapon and 6m for a Large Sized weapon, with only a -10 penalty to the Attack Roll. The user cannot spend Fatigue points to increase Attack Rolls with Fragment Spray.

Size Dependence: The first indicated values for Damage, Speed and Breakage is for Asteroids generated from a Medium Weapon, while the second values are for Asteroids generated from Large Weapons. If Asteroids is generated from an Enormous weapon, increase Damage by 10, Breakage by 1, reduce Speed by -5 increase the Fragment Barrier Resistance Points by 100, the Fragment Belt radius by 1m, and the Fragment Spray range by 2m. If Asteroids is generated from a Gigantic weapon, apply the same bonuses and penalties again. Note that the user of Asteroids doesn’t need to be able to actually wield the weapon he/she turns into Asteroids, needing only to hold it somehow before rolling Initiative, in order to fragment it.

ASTEROIDS MAGISTER

Requirements: Asteroids, Willpower11+, Attack200+, Defense200+, Zen.

Base Weapon: -.

Cost: 30 MK: 30

Choose 3 of the following advantages.

Controlled Belt: Only opponents caught within the belt are affected. The user can now move up to once and a half his normal pace Movement.

Improved Spray: Fragment Spray now only hits chosen opponents and has no Attack Roll penalty at all.

Independent Fragments: While using any of the Asteroids attacks or defenses, the user may act on his own, even attacking and using any Magnus or Technique. Any Magnus or Technique used can never affect any of the attacks or defenses made through Asteroids.

Lethality Increment: Each turn the Asteroids user decides to maintain a previously cast Fragment Barrier or Fragment Belt, he/she can choose to spend ki points and Fatigue points to increase by 1 Difficulty Level of The Predetermined Attack value used by these two Asteroid forms. Getting the Difficulty Level from Almost Impossible to Impossible costs 10ki points and 1 Fatigue point. Getting the Difficulty Level from Impossible to Inhuman costs 20ki points and 2 Fatigue points. Getting the Difficulty Level from Inhuman to Zen costs 30ki points and 3 Fatigue points. No more than 1 Difficulty Level increment can be achieved each turn, but once achieved Difficulty Levels Increment will apply to both Fragment Barrier and Fragment Belt forms and remain active for as long as Asteroids is used and the weapon is kept fragmented.

Physical Exploit: The user can spend Fatigue Points to increase the Defense Roll using Fragment Barrier and the Attack Roll using Fragment Spray.

Stronger Barrier: The Fragment Barrier now has 250 Resistance Points if cast from a Medium Sized Weapon and 400 Resistance Points if cast from a Large Sized Weapon, plus 150 Resistance Points for each size increase, instead of +100.

#57 ElricOfMelnibone

ElricOfMelnibone

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Just to make it clear: I did invent the Asteroid Belt Magnus BUT NOT the other Planetary Impossible Weapons Magnus. I just wanted to point this out. They are being used in my campaign and I consider them a great addition to the game, but I wouldn't want to ever steal the intellectual property of someone else.

I prefer Ophiucos to remain as a high-level Magnus for really dedicated fighters (besides it's really difficult for a fighter with 150 attack to own 10 Swords of +10Quality...unless he's got Noah's Elan, of course), so I wouldn't split its cost/abilities. I know it's a pain having to wait for it, but it's part of its beauty in my opinion. As for your costs and options for higher level uses of Ophiucos, I found them rather balanced, really!

#58 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

About the Asteroids Weapon:

Great work. I'd probably make it a little more expensive DP and MK wise and let it scale a little bit better or else I can see it becoming rather annoying at high levels.

Fragment Belt and Fragment Barrier: I would balance numbers around the users average attack/defense (a/d) ability, for example if a/d is 220 (230 attack, 210 defense), the default predetermined attack/defense would be 180+ quality bonus, if a/d was 250, it would be 240+ quality bonus. But that may be worth a Magister upgrade

Lethality Increment: Boah, powerful stuff. With the above in mind I'd only allow a 2 step upgrade (maybe only 1 step).

Anyway, since you once said you play past level 15, you should consider altering difficulty levels a bit, especially with this Impossible Weapon in mind.For example, right now difficulty levels are 80,120,140,180,240,280,320,440,660. Why? Everyone seems to think 660 to be the next difficulty level after 440, only because of the technique pushing stuff. I'd rather make it 80,120,140,180,240,280,320,440,540,660 (or even 560,700).

I forgot: If used in my game, this Impossible Weapon will likely have the willpower prerequisite swapped with dexterity or agility.

Edited by Heart of the Tiger, 03 March 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#59 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

And you're right, your Asteroid Magnus really is a bit more similar to Senbonzakura, or Senbonzakura Kageyoshi (for the magister version), while Ophiucos is closer to Senkei Senbonzakura Kageyoshi.

Edited by Heart of the Tiger, 03 March 2014 - 03:02 AM.

#60 Heart of the Tiger

Heart of the Tiger

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:12 AM

I know I'm typically rather adamant about things scaling with Level, or with other things for that matter, but with a good reason, 90DP and 90MK are a huge Investment for most characters. If you are a Wizard you basically get lots of stuff for free and don't get me started on psychers. But you know what they all have in common? Their stuff scales.

Edited by Heart of the Tiger, 03 March 2014 - 04:01 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS