• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Malte

Malte

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

Yeeeeezzz, 

counting counters and rules is for nerds. Eyeball it! Nobody is winning, nobody is loosing. Its about having a blast, right. I personally don't get satisfaction from having used the right rule at the right time. Never, ever. To me a good story is everything.

If it takes to long - roleplay your strikes. Players strike more damage for good roleplaying. Player that play "I do melee" get a critical fumble. Anyhow, agree that a general frame and rules are important. 

You will never have all your players be on the same level of knowing all the rules. Never had that. And  - that is OK. If somebody doesn't care about the rules but is a great story teller. GREAT 

Sounds evil and "not right". THIS IS WARHAMMER! Imagine screaming, red faced man waving a half empty coffee mug.

Best!

#22 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

That post made no sense and perfect sense all at the same time.

I love you.

#23 Malte

Malte

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

haha, thanks.

#24 korknadel

korknadel

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

I like the combat rules very much. I played with two groups now, most recently the Witch's Song adventure which has a lot of combat encounters in it. My players liked it and me also. I don't care if the fight takes three quarters of an hour if it stays exciting throughout that time. And I find, that the rules very much help to make fights exciting. With all the different action cards, you can use a lot of tactics in combat, whiich is fun. And my players grasped that very fast and tried to use their talents and actions cleverly. Tracking is no problem at all in my experience, and stress and fatigue are the most entertaining parts of the whole system. And I really don't see, why A/C/E should take any time at all. I mean, while putting together the dice pool, you just throw in another fortune, misfortune or expertise die and scribble a number. That's all.

If there is too much winging in a combat, I don't see the fun in it anymore. Like in a boardgame I want success or failure in combat to be a result from a combination of resources, luck and clever thinking/strategy. Not the result of the most beautiful story. The dice and the rule mechanics are what makes the world grim and perilous.

#25 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

As an up-and-coming-converted-to-whfrp GM thanks for the ideas above. I've copy and pasted some of your posts. :)

#26 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

As a GM, there are a number of ways to be prepared for combat, that will speed things up:

1) Before a session, sort out the standups, cards, and actions for all possible NPC opponents and have them ready. Preferably, in order they will be encountered.

2) Have a record sheet for opponents. The better organized it is, the better it will help. Use this to record wounds, fatigue, etc., for the various enemies.  Whether it is using a pen/pencil or placing tokens on the sheet, being able to know which enemies have how many wounds left quickly is useful.  Include on this, as well, a place to note/record any A/C/E pool usage (if you cannot keep that in your head).

3) Before a session, make plans for how the enemies during the various combats will act and their motivations. Of course, plans can change with PC actions, but overall enemies have a goal and will stick to it if they can. This allows you to be faster and more decisive when it comes to NPC actions.

4) Have enough dice, and try to keep the dice separated into 2-3 groups. That way each end of the table has quick access to a pool of dice. Generally, have available nearby a decent-sized pool of dice for every 2-3 people (including yourself).

5) Get the players to learn the basics for generating and reading a dice pool.  It can be fun if they know how it works, so that they can generate the story/narrate the results if you are into that. If they can generate their own dice pools (excepting GM-imposed difficulty modifiers), it makes the process faster.

6) Avoid long inter-player tactics discussions during combat. Combat happens 'fast', so tactical and strategic discussions really shouldn't take place once the action starts.  Charge PCs extra maneuvers (ie inflict fatigue or stress) for extra long talking during combat, if need be (but don't be too harsh).

7) Set the scene of the combat well.  Quite a few slow-downs happen when players have trouble visualizing the location they are in, and the disposition of the enemies, so they have to ask questions about who is where and how far, and if they could do X, or go to Y. Good set-up/narration can avoid many such questions.

#27 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

I've actually started to prefer lots of low-hitting enemies so that the PCs get a chance to actually fight without getting killed in the 1:1 glass canon battles.

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS