Questions about Black Goat of the Woods

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 LordZon

LordZon

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

I've been playing black goat more, and while I love corruption.  I never see it!  We have played 3 games with Black Goat and it never surfaces even with Miskatonic Horror.

Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and the king in yellow add obvious theme.  Black Goat, not so much.

#22 Veet

Veet

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:44 PM

Have you played with the herald? If so are you remembering to gain a corruption whenever a hex monster is defeated?

#23 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

Hey there,

Well broke open this expansion this week for the first time and tried it out -- I actually ended up playing with the custom Herald and Institution on this thread and had a lot of fun with em.  :)

The Cult of a Thousand certainly brought out the corruptions in a big way, and by the end every investigator was a member and had a bit of corruption -- only 2 cards in the deck by the end of it!  Michael McGlenn was positively dripping with corruption cards, lol.

I scrogged a couple rules by activating corruptions on the wrong colors a few times and also forgot to do away with them on closing of a gate, but I got a technical win by sealing 6 gates.  I tried for a complete gate seal (not sure whether that should always be a goal), but that can be a tough -- kept playing and finally was done in when Shubby bust through with 2 investigators LITAS.

Also liked the substitute Black Goat herald listed here -- was wondering how often people play with the in-game herald.  Is it really that much tougher?  Also, was playing with 1 Cult encounter replacing the location encounter when a member of the Cult on cult locations, and 1 Cult encounter plus the location encounter when going to other unstable locations. Was that a correct interpretation?  The custom herald and institution stuff was a lot of fun -- great work you guys.  :)

#24 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

By the way, Milk of Shub Niggurath saved my butt twice in this game, basically clearing the board allowing people through gates.  Again Michael McGlenn, the corrupt madman of the party...  :)

#25 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

Aye, Milk is great :)

Happy you enjoyed the custom material hereby hosted :)

As for the original Herald... I do like it. But I also need to be in the right mood. Still, I won with that one and Rhan-Tegoth, so, I'd say it's doable ;)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#26 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

As a completely unrelated tangent, I played Arkham Horror with the fam. a few weeks ago and my dad drew the Milk as one of his random starting items. Watching the look on his face as he read the title was almost more entertaining that the entire game. =)

"Milk... of Shub.... Shubnegrath.

Okay."

#27 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

As a completely unrelated tangent, I played Arkham Horror with the fam. a few weeks ago and my dad drew the Milk as one of his random starting items. Watching the look on his face as he read the title was almost more entertaining that the entire game. =)

"Milk... of Shub.... Shubnegrath.

Okay."

Hah!  Nice that you can play with the whole family.  :)

#28 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Aye, Milk is great :)

Happy you enjoyed the custom material hereby hosted :)

As for the original Herald... I do like it. But I also need to be in the right mood. Still, I won with that one and Rhan-Tegoth, so, I'd say it's doable ;)

Yeah think I'm gonna give the official herald a try next maybe with a random GOO this time -- I really liked Black Goat, but I think the corruptions really need to come out for it to work as intended, and the Institution is a great way to make that happen.

#29 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

As for the official Herald, beware of the deck / board combo you'll be using: technically speaking, if you play an all-in game, the official Herald is just a cakewalk: very low odds to have several monster surges in a game. If you play Kingsport + Arkham... well, it's like a day in a slaughterhouse.

Anyway, if you want to test the Herald (that's a good way to test any Herald on any game), play a game against Azathoth: that AO has no impact on gameplay, so that you can see the actual effects of the Herald :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS