• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

TK4334 said:

I hope they don´t miss support the european market like WOTC. -.- WOTC missed a lot of money this way ... only the hardcore fans knows the SW Miniatures game. They missed a big pool of consumers because they didn´t support us in any way. No promotion, no support, nothing.

Yeah, WotC are IDIOTS for completely ignoring the European market. THey allowed their fiercest competition to completely take over the market in Germany.

But it will pretty much depend on the local publisher. I'm quite sure here in Germany it will be the Heidelberger Spieleverlag, so support should be excellent. Which country are you from?

#22 Galak Fyyar

Galak Fyyar

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

jhaelen said:

Yeah, WotC are IDIOTS for completely ignoring the European market.

WotC NO idiots – if you don’t know, they bury all Star Wars games for a reason – to destroy any “resistance” to Magic the Gathering. “Decipher”, previous SW card game creators sell more cards, than WotC’s MtG. To kill this concurrent, WotC (part of “Hasbro”) ask Lucas (George has percent in “Hasbro”) to gain license to them and he did it. Firstly they shut down SW TCG without any words of explanation, then SW Miniatures and RPG. They NEWER properly support any Star Wars game – if you compare prizes for SW TCG World Championship and Magic the Gathering World Championship (for SW – TV panel and Playstation 2, for SW Miniatures – full set of miniatures [cost-250-350 $] and for MtG - 250.000$ only for the first place, 1.000.000$ total) you understand it – why support any other game, created UNDER license, if they have their OWN game – MtG. And as we see, WotC support MtG on ALL levels – prizes, money e.t.c...

#23 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:19 AM

But that doesn't make any sense. The markets are completely different. I have ZERO interest in MtG, but gave them plenty of money for lil' men (and for gaming books). Now, I don't give Wizards of the Coast money for anything. Where's the logic in that?

#24 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

Truly. WotC would have loved to make barrels of money off of Star Wars. But the licensing/manufacturing costs shrunk their margins to such a degree that the whole line went down the tank. The same thing happened to D&D Miniatures (in the manufacturing department, anyway).

I love a good conspiracy theory, but this... is not.

#25 TK4334

TK4334

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

jhaelen said:

TK4334 said:

I hope they don´t miss support the european market like WOTC. -.- WOTC missed a lot of money this way ... only the hardcore fans knows the SW Miniatures game. They missed a big pool of consumers because they didn´t support us in any way. No promotion, no support, nothing.

Yeah, WotC are IDIOTS for completely ignoring the European market. THey allowed their fiercest competition to completely take over the market in Germany.

But it will pretty much depend on the local publisher. I'm quite sure here in Germany it will be the Heidelberger Spieleverlag, so support should be excellent. Which country are you from?

WOTC is history for me now ... I really liked the Game but it is death now .. :/

I´m from Germany too, so there seems to be hope for us ;D

X-Wing Regional Champion 2014 Berlin
X-Wing Regional Champion 2014 Hamburg
X-Wing Regional Champion 2013 Nürnberg
X-Wing Store Champion 2014 Wiesbaden, Mainz, Düsseldorf and Iserlohn

#26 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

yagyu said:

Price is a huge concern for even hard core gamers like myself in this day and age. When u come down to it I need to budget and cut out games that i love LESS then ones that I just cant live without. So if just doing a brief comparison to WOW mini's, guessing the X-wing will be similar or worse price wise. then

I have to say I may not make it beyond the core set and one or possibly two boosters. Knowing that id have to cut X-wing entirely and focus on the one im really excited about the Star Wars LCG. Im also an old Star wars Mini's fan and want to see a Land Based Mini Star Wars game from FFG. So ill probably hold out until they have that.

So that pretty much means the odds of me being able to afford and therefore really get into X-wing are very low to none.

I think many ppl are in the same boat as me and thus unless they lower the cost or give us more bang for our buck its just not equitable.

I feel the same way. Parakitor and I have talked about this at length, and it seems best if he collects X-wing and I collect the LCG, then we can play when we get together. Only problem, is that's kinda hard when we live on opposite sides of the country. Even still, I'm considering getting the starter set of each at least. Then if I get some extra money, maybe I can get one or two extra ships. But like was mentioned above, I may as well focus on filling out my WotC Minis collection instead of diverting to X-wing. I'll just have to wait and see how things go next year.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#27 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:14 AM

Exactly dude, what end do u live on im oregon lol. But yeah dont get me wrong, i really hope the FFG mini's do well and expand into land based stuff and more. Its just that yeah for the price they have stated for 3 miniatures, its just seems to be too much. If they added a couple more mini's i think it might feel a bit more like im being compensated if i spent the $40 or so bucks on it. But yeah from the way things look now its just financially smarter for myself and most likely others to side with either the mini's or the cards.

Off topic i do wish they had board game license. That would definitely make me eat romain noodles everynight just to buy FFG's awesome star wars board games lol

#28 Galak Fyyar

Galak Fyyar

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

TK4334 said:

I really liked the Game but it is death now .. :/

I totally disagree with this - WotC’s game cannot be dead, especially if you mainly player, than collector. The Game is now in a new age – “Virtual Era”, where many useless figs gain the “new life”. I play this game from its beginning, have thousands of miniatures and still have a big portion of skepticism about this new game from FFG, mainly because we still don’t have enough information about the game. In the first post I mentioned about another interesting Star Wars game – SW Pocketmodel TCG, which demo also contain one X-Wing and two TIE Fighters, but when the game starts, we receive 80+ other ships. And as we see now in “X-Wing” starter we have only TWO type of ships and only THREE figs totally. If the next set for this game is contain two Y-Wings and one TIE Interceptor… Imagine – if WotC’s starter for SW Miniatures contain two stormies and one rebel trooper, and we don’t have ANY boosters or packs in “horizon”, only something like “next month we you can add Darth Vader and Luke in your collection for this greatest game ever…” :D Regardless how genius is FFG in game design, playing with starter, which contain only three figs, without any other potential “additions” (I need Stardestroyers, Venators, Acclamators, or even Death Star :D ) can’t give us many hours of fan. I REALLY hope to see with “X-Wing” starter something like in SW The Card Game’s “Force Packs” with A-Wng, B-Wing, Vader’s TIE Advanced etc… But now, what we have is only our hope… Hope that FFG do it RIGHTLY!!! ;)

#29 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

Me too.

Unfortunately, no one's saying anything.

#30 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

I don't know if you guys have ever played Wings of War, but the vibe I'm getting is that "X-Wing" will be much more similar to WoW than WotC's SSB.  I completely understand that you don't want to give up SSB; it is a fun game, and you have invested a lot in it.  Keep playing it, by all means!  (I still play the old Star Fleet Battles, with counters, even!).

If you are feeling a void from the absence of SSB, I'm not sure X-Wing will fill it...

#31 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

Oh no, we get that vibe too. There's a buncha threads and posts about it. Might even be a GOOD thing; the WotC SSB rules sucked, and a lot of us felt like they tried to cover too much ground with one game. The big questions for X-wing are:

1. What's the minis size (and are they roughly in scale with one another)?

2. What's the plan for more ships? How and whan will they be released?

3. Are the ships customizable, with like templates or something?

4. Is there a game map, or is this supposed to look good on the woodgrain of my dining-room table?

5. How much is this gonna flippin' cost?

So yeah, we get it. It isn't SSB. But we still don't have too many answers - and of late, NO project support or even an online presence. We got these boards, and it's like, "go outside and play." Until 2012.

#32 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

IG-58 said:

Oh no, we get that vibe too. There's a buncha threads and posts about it. Might even be a GOOD thing; the WotC SSB rules sucked, and a lot of us felt like they tried to cover too much ground with one game. The big questions for X-wing are:

1. What's the minis size (and are they roughly in scale with one another)?

2. What's the plan for more ships? How and whan will they be released?

3. Are the ships customizable, with like templates or something?

4. Is there a game map, or is this supposed to look good on the woodgrain of my dining-room table?

5. How much is this gonna flippin' cost?

So yeah, we get it. It isn't SSB. But we still don't have too many answers - and of late, NO project support or even an online presence. We got these boards, and it's like, "go outside and play." Until 2012.

Yeah, those are all the questions on MY mind too.  It may be that FFG doesn't know the answers to many of these questions yet, but I'd like some news, anything really.

#33 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Throw us a frickin' bone, here

#34 schoon

schoon

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't really think that we're going to be seeing much in the way of previews or press releases until much closer to Christmas.

FFG has only just got the license, and getting a game out is a complex process - which can be made even more complex if bad information is flying around the web.

That they demoed the game at GenCon at all was a great boon. (I'd love to hear more from those who were lucky enough to play there!)

I short: I can wait - I know I'm going to love the game.

#35 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

Does anyone know how the model quality stacks up against Star Trek: Fleet Captains? ..avoiding any of the inane SW vs ST arguments....  that game clocks in at $100 and has 24 minis(albeit unpainted)

#36 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

I'm reviving this thread because I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinions now that the price has been announced. Are we disappointed? Are we pleased? Is it worth it? Please share your thoughts.

Basically, I was fine with it, but when I shared the news with my wife, she was way less than enthused. I think having collected WotC SWMinis recently, she was expecting a pack of minis, not one ship per expansion. Her disappoint caught me off guard and made me question the price all over again. But you can't argue with the fact that there are no rares. I mean, we can all go out and purchase Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader whenever we're ready.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#37 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

I probably won't be hooking up with any strangers to play this game, it'll likely just be me and my son - so, that means I'll be the one buying all the ships. For that reason, I'm gonna go really slow and make sure we're having a lot of fun with the game before buying in too heavily.

Ha… I can already picture the 'scenarios' in the rulebook: "okay, grab six Y-wings and four X-wings. Now, the Imperial player grabs 8 TIEs and 3 TIE Advanceds. All set? Great! Now, place your ships on…" 

#38 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

I play Wings of War a lot, and I have to say that it's a lot more fun when one player controls one ship, but I plan on playing it with fewer players and more fighters if I have to :D.

#39 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Definitely taking this one slow, too. I preordered the starter set back in January, so I might get one or two of the expansions straight off if the game is decent, but I'm going to have to think long and hard before I buy into this too much. Which is going to be novel, as usually I see the words "star wars" and just throw my money at them. It just seems like a lot of money for not very much product. I'm already mid-cycle of two LCGs, poised to start another, and am saving up for the Baratheon expansion for BoW, so this'll have to be really good to warrant the expense…

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#40 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

The informational desert we've been experiencing has really soured me on this venture. For a while, I was starting to think FFG had actually lost the license and was just refusing to announce it! Now, we finally have updates, and that's good - but we still don't know all that much.

I'm sure I'll have to buy the Starter at least; I mean, how can you be a Star Wars geek, a gaming fan AND a miniatures nut and not buy a Starter??! For the rulebook even if for no other reason. But after that well, all bets are off. We'll just have to see.

How much IS the thing supposed to retail for now, anyway?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS