Photo

What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#41 Runix

Runix

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

Toqtamish said:

Not all of the LCG's are solo capable nor will future ones necessarily be. Most of the current LCG's are non solo competitive, LotR and the soon to come Star Wars are the only two that are not and in many ways are two of the least popular. LotR is kept afloat by the fact that it is LotR and still has a large audience attraction. Star Wars we will have to wait and see how it plays to see how that one goes but it is Star Wars afterall so will grab a lot of attention due to that fact and the movies coming out again will help things.

This may be asking a bit much, but I think it would make sense for FFG to consider systems that can be played both solo and competitive.  One idea would be a special "Encounters" deck that plays the other side in solo games (and that gives some boosts to compensate for an otherwise unintelligent opponent), or something like the table-and-dice-driven "bot" that ships with one of the expansions to Race for the Galaxy.

#42 Crag78

Crag78

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'd be curious to see a 4 players competitive LCG mafia wars kinda game. Italian vs Russian vs Chinese vs Irish and more…..

#43 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

What about the Twilight Imperium universe? There's a multiplayer setting that could definitely use a quicker game than exists at present.

#44 Killer Power

Killer Power

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

Even if I think, that a Twilight Imperium LCG could be cool (FFG would have the freedom to create almost whatever they want because it's their own licence) I would love to see a LCG Remake of the old Shadowrun CCG.

I loved that game! But with Netrunner we already have some kind of Cyberpunk like setting, so I guess we won't see that…

#45 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:54 AM

Killer Power said:

Even if I think, that a Twilight Imperium LCG could be cool (FFG would have the freedom to create almost whatever they want because it's their own licence) I would love to see a LCG Remake of the old Shadowrun CCG.

I loved that game! But with Netrunner we already have some kind of Cyberpunk like setting, so I guess we won't see that…

The other problem with that is they would have to license the game and the setting. With Netrunner all they needed was the game engine, they already have the setting and it is their own.

#46 158hoff

158hoff

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Definitely Star Wars

#47 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

158hoff said:

Definitely Star Wars

I am not sure if you are being serious or trying to make a joke but we already know that.

I would like to see a historical themed game based on WW2 or Napoleonic wars. FFG likes having factions and either of those has lots of nations and also armed units, divisions etc that could be used as sub themes.

#48 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

A historical game based on WWII or Napoleonic Wars sounds interesting, especially if they (as they almost certainly would) did it as an alternate-history version.

I'd also still like to see VTES be the next LCG.  It's got a cult following much as Netrunner and licensing the best games available seems like a good recipe for success.  Contrast now much enthusiasm there is for Netrunner versus how the Star Wars game is struggling so badly to get any traction.  If they can release VTES along with a decent set of 2p rules to supplement the multiplayer rules I'd be all over it.

I don't think White Wolf is an issue either.  FFG already re-themed Netrunner in their own universe, they can pretty easily do the same with VTES.  Call it the Fury of Dracula LCG, make up new names, and you no longer need to worry about licensing the setting.

#49 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

dboeren said:

I don't think White Wolf is an issue either.  FFG already re-themed Netrunner in their own universe, they can pretty easily do the same with VTES.  Call it the Fury of Dracula LCG, make up new names, and you no longer need to worry about licensing the setting.

Oops, didn't realize White Wolf actually owns both the game and the setting now :)  So you have to deal with them regardless…

#50 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

I haven't played the Vampire card game, but I'm a fan of White Wolf's (old) World of Darkness RPG universe, and they had several games that utilized and expanded that setting (Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, etc.), so there would already be a natural faction system, and distint subthemes for each faction, that may translate well into a (ideally multiplayer) LCG. I haven't played any new World of Darkness stuff, but I believe most of the factions and many of the subfactions are still present, just the overall roleplaying theme and flavor of the games has shifted. So I guess either old or new World of Darkness would make for a nice LCG.

However, I have little hope that FFG would be able and/or willing to acquire the license in the near future.

Another pen&paper I enjoyed is Shadowrun, but with the recent release of Netrunner, I don't see them investing in another cyberpunk-themed LCG anytime soon. But I always found it an interesting setting in that it mixes cyberpunk with high-fantasy elements (magic, elves, orcs, dragons, etc.) and there would be a lot of source material to draw from.

#51 stahlwolle

stahlwolle

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

I like to see a Dust LCG…

#52 seanr

seanr

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I first discovered the LCG model with LotR. As of now I only have the core set and the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle but really love it. One of the biggest selling points for me is that the game can be played solo. As much as I would like to have a PvP LCG, I would also like to see a game that supports both a solo option as well as a PvP option without losing quality. 

After reading everyone's pposts I must say i am partial to an LCG based on Battlestar Galactica or Dune.

Battlestar Galatica

1. Players could play as human vs cylons in a PvP game or solo game
  2. Players could follow a sort of destiny/encounter deck from either the cylon, colonial, or military decks or a comibnation.

No one has suggested these two options (maybe for good reason) but I think and interesting PvP & solo LCG could be possible from either the Last Airbender or Hunger Games. Obviously they are both a little bit childish for FFG but could also expand the LCG model to a new audience.

The Last Airbender -The game could be stuctured in many different ways.

1. Players could play as characters from one of the 4 nations dueling against each other in a sort of bending arena (I guess similar to the Legend of Korra)  -  PvP, multiplayer
  2. Players could play a more thematic game as the Avatar team vs the Fire nation. One player would play the Fire Nation and the other(s) play decks built from the other nations or fire nation allies. PvP, multiplayer
  3. Players could play as the Avatar in his quest to become fully realized and follow a LotR style quest game. Multiplayer, co-op, solo
  4. Or in a final solo-only version players could simply play against the fire nation encounter deck. 

I also think it would be interesting to see saga epansions explore the Avatar universe before the time of the TV show assuming licesing allowed it. 

The Hunger Games

1. Players could play against each other by playing as tributes from different districts with decks built around neautral cards with a set of district specific cards. This would obviously be difficult trying to accomodate for 12 districts. PvP, multiplayer
  2. Players could play in a districts vs capitol sort of game or even play as people outside of the arena. PvP, multiplayer, sol

I think these are all viable LCG options. It would be nice to see FFG acquire enough rights to extend artwork and story concepts beyong what has been seen on screen in a way similar to the LotR LCG.

- i know a lot of my comparisons are based on the LotR LCG but I have had the most exposure with that.

#53 Tywin

Tywin

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Dune for sure!

#54 stemranpower

stemranpower

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

hmmm…..

Warhammer: Invasion's world setting is from a famous brand, which is not FFG's

Android: Netrunner is base on FFG's own world, but the rules was base from original Netrunner on 1996

LotR, aGoT, CoC and Star Wars are all from the famous brand

soooooo……

maybe I would like a game where the world and the rule is all made by FFG??

Probably something like Dust? or……. something comical, like a comical fantasy?

#55 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

An in-house theme would be fine with me.  If nothing else, it helps keep the licenced setting fanboys away :)

But, it also requires a lot more marketing work to try to get people into the game so it may or may not be worth it.

#56 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

stemranpower said:

Dust does not fit your criteria then. The setting or world as you say is owned by Paolo Parente.

#57 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Another advantage of an in-house theme is that you're not as likely to be predisposed towards one faction.

Part of me says I'd like to see games  based on themes that I personally like.  These differ for each person, but for me this includes several miniatures games such as Warmachine/Hordes or Infinity.  On the other hand, one problem there is that players of the minis game have strong faction loyalties.  For instance, in Warmachine/Hordes I play Menoth, Skorne, and Farrow (which is basically half of the Minions faction) so clearly these would almost certainly be my favorites.  Some factions I'm fairly ambivalent about, and other factions I actively hate like Cygnar and Retribution.

So if it was a single-faction game, at least two factions worth of cards wouldn't get used at all, and quite a few more might be used rarely.  This isn't a good value for me as a player if they release the typical Core set + packs.  It might work if they immediately do faction boxes for each faction, but even then at some point I'll probably be forced to buy what will for me be "dead cards".  Some of these faction cards might be used if you can take out of faction stuff but I'd still feel resistant to a lot of them I suspect.

A theme without strongly-established loyalties seems better in this respect.  How do Warhammer: Invasion players deal with this today?  Or has GW's practice of rotating the "strong factions" trained people to be more willing to switch loyalties?

Personally I'd love to see a space game with warring races, or something themed around ancient China with kung fu clans, magic, etc…  Yes, I know about L5R but I don't really like it and anyway it's collectable.  Both themes also seem friendly to being able to field mixed faction decks representing temporary alliances between races/clans/whatever.  On the space front, I was originally favoring Babylon 5 but then I realized that Star Control 2 would be an awesome theme to do - they've always had such a fantastic array of alien races with different ship powers.  Problem there is TOO many factions I think.

#58 stemranpower

stemranpower

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Toqtamish said:

stemranpower said:

Dust does not fit your criteria then. The setting or world as you say is owned by Paolo Parente.

Oops… Sorry, didn't know about that

anyway I think an in-house theme LCG could be nice :)

#59 sharoth

sharoth

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I would love to see a Battlestar Galactica themed LCG. FFG did such an amazing job bringing the theme of the show to the boardgame that I would love to see them doing another game with that licence. Preferably a LCG.

But I guess with the release of Star Wars the Card Game, we won´t see a second space themed LCG anytime soon. Too bad.

#60 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

If we do see another space LCG, I'd kind of prefer one without a licensed theme.  Just give me a plain old alien races at war theme and make up your own.  Then you're not limited by what your costume and effects budgets make you compromise on and we can see something that's not just a human with funny bumps on their forehead or different colored skin :) 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS