[Mathhammer] Making ship armour count

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

I found that as well, especially with a Starflare Lance house-ruled to hit with every DoS.

Perhaps Proven (X) might suffice instead of Tearing.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

Into the Strom - Venture into the secrets of the Strom Dynasty! 

#122 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:02 AM

I think in my next game I will have lances behave more like they did in BFG.  They will not be affected by range, and each strength point fires separately with DoS having no meaning beyond crits.

I also want to add a rule to incorporate the essence of the blast marker effects in BFG without overcomplicating things.  Somehow, and easily, I just want all that stuff being thrown through the void to affect navigation, augurs, torpedoes, and small craft.

Anything that increases the attrition rate of small craft can't be bad.

Edited by Errant Knight, 05 October 2014 - 12:52 AM.

• Tenebrae and Marwynn like this

#123 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

I'm tempted to still penalize Lance weapons when firing at long range though. It's been a while, but I don't think Lances could fire at more than their listed range in BFG right? Only the Gunnery weapons shifted left or right?

Blast Markers are something that should have been included with the space combat of RT. Instead of placing down Templates, why not just mark the VU of space (we use hexes) as having a Blast Marker? Any travel within 1 VU of that Blast Marker will suffer a shield hit and -1 Speed. Attack Craft will probably need to take a Command Test or return home. Shooting can be penalized -10.

It can even grow in scale, depending on how many Blast Markers are placed down. All Blast Markers interfere with Attack Craft, regardless of level. Blast Marker 1 reduces a ship's shields by 1. Blast Marker 2 also reduces speed by 1, regardless of how many Blast Markers the ship passes through. Blast Marker 3 also affects shooting.

But that just gets complicated. Best to have it represent titanic losses of power, explosive debris fields, and so on all at once.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

Into the Strom - Venture into the secrets of the Strom Dynasty! 

#124 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

Macroweapons were penalized at long range but given a bonus at short range, just as they are in RT.  Lances received neither modification, and that's how I'll run it.  The double range in RT is at the correct scale.  Weapons in BFG had ranges of 30/45/60 which in RT corresponds to 6/9/12 doubled to 12/18/24.

Heck, I might halve weapon and movement ranges in the next game since I'll be hosting on roll20.  Otherwise the scale gets such that it's hard to see.  Then again, maybe I'll learn the medium better.

• Tenebrae likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS