[Mathhammer] Making ship armour count

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 kobrain

kobrain

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:44 AM

Just read through this post, I'll definitely be using these rules in my campaign. However, instead if adding 12 damage to macro batteries, just add 12 pen like in ground combat. I do not see this as any different to current rules (obviously including resolving hits separately). Unless of course I am horribly wrong

Map of Calixis Sector and Koronus Expanse

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

#102 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:06 AM

It doesn't really have any benefit to do it that way, you're just forcing yourself and the players to remember to remove 12 from armour all the time instead of just saying 'Your master of etherics reports that the ship has approximately 3 armour in the prow and 2 on other facings' and going from there. 

#103 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

I've been using mathhammer in my game and so far not much voidship combat has happened, however i do have a query - should the -12 armour be applied to small craft too? I know for the most part it's turret ratings etc but running an adventure the other day it called for hits to the front armour of the Explorers shuttle ( a gun cutter in this instance) and without a max damage roll it was unlikely to penetrate the armour. Has anyone had any experience with Mathhammer on smaller craft?

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#104 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

Hitting the front armor of a shuttle craft with what weapon?

#105 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

As far as I can tell, the Mathhammer hack is all about fixing combat on the ship to ship scale- which means adjusting the effects and rules for Macrocannons, Macrocannon broadsides and lances, mostly.  When you talk about weapons impacting small craft, there are two things you might mean, and you haven't specified- but I can guess from context.

The first is small craft in spaceship-scale combat, wherein you have squadrons of fighters, bombers and assault craft flying about willy nilly.  Unless you use N0-1-H3r3's rules for large weapons hitting small craft, then only turrets and other small craft are relevant and damage isn't really rolled anyway- Mathhammer is irrelevant here.  I don't think this is what you mean though.

The second possibility is using small craft in close-ups, such as using a Rhino, Chimera or Valkyrie to move the party around.  In that case, you are probably using things like Lascannon, Krak missiles, twinlinked heavy bolters and maybe the odd Turbolaser.  In this case, you aren't using ship-scale weapons, so Mathhammer is still irrelevant.  However, I can tell you that I have adopted a house rule in my games such that any weapon generally intended for an anti-armour role gets it's pen tripled when used against vehicles.  This means Lascannon, melta weapons, dark lances, krak missiles, Autocannon, plasma weapons, and in some cases even assault cannon or heavy bolters.

Basically, I want a Lascannon to be able to knock a Valkyrie out of the sky in one shot- or even cripple a Leman Russ if the shooter gets lucky.

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

#106 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Sorry i should have specified - i was referring to the adventure Fall From Grace, wherin whilst on approach to an ork infested station the pilot has to do a Pilot(Space)-10 check, with each degree of failure being a hit on the front armour at 4d10+5. The adventure was written when Into The Storm was out and so likely factored in the stats for the Arvus Lighter, Aquilla Shuttle and Gun Cutter listed therein.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#107 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

That's not necessarily true, Fall From Grace wasn't FFG material.

#108 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

I don't see any reason to apply mathhammer to shuttles.  Mathhammer is about fixing the stacking of macrocannon obviating all other kinds of weapons.  That 4d10+5 is the damage done by weapons in flak turrets, not starship components.

#109 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

Has anyone used small craft heavily in a Mathhammer game?  I'd like to know what the result was, if so.

Edit: in the "squadrons of bombers" sense, as opposed to the "whee, we're in a guncutter" sense, which I already stated I feel is inapplicable.

Edited by Annaamarth, 14 June 2014 - 11:23 AM.

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

#110 scammer762

scammer762

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

You realize that the lances ignore armor completely right???

#111 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Yeeeees, but the combined hits of macrocannons do substantially more damage than lances when used by characters with higher skill. Hence the house rules.

Edited by Errant, 02 July 2014 - 09:40 PM.

• Erathia likes this

#112 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

After reading the thread, it seems In theory that there'd be the following:

* Ships take longer to destroy by sheer damage, avoiding the "one or two shot salvo of doom" effect.

* Storm represents broadsides well.

* Tearing represents lances well.

* Alternative tactics such as boarding or hit and runs are more viable, especially against smaller vessels.

* Solo NPC crewed vessels are actually worth using.

Would anyone else would like to share their experiences with Mathhammer changes?

Edited by Decessor, 24 July 2014 - 07:26 AM.

• Erathia likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS