New player still unclear about duplicates

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Dinnitz

Dinnitz

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

Hi, I'm new to the game and I'd like to make sure of something about duplicates:

If I have a unique character with a duplicate attached and my opponent plays a card that says "kill a character, cannot be saved", the character dies and cannot be saved by discarding the duplicate, is that right?

Thanks for the answer.

#42 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

That's correct.  What else would "cannot be saved" mean?

#43 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

Specifically, if something is "cannot be saved," you cannot save it by any means - including dupes.

"Cannot" is an absolute term in this game. If you see "cannot be X," there will never be an exception that allows you to do X.

#44 petereff

petereff

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

I'll throw this question in here as well, since it's about duplicates- do you remove two duplicates to pay for a claim value of two? I recently played someone who was adamant that since it was the only character in play, his twice-duplicated unique character only had to lose one of the duplicates to satisfy the claim. Is this correct? If there was another character in play, could he have actually removed two of the duplicates to save the other character?

#45 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

petereff said:

I recently played someone who was adamant that since it was the only character in play, his twice-duplicated unique character only had to lose one of the duplicates to satisfy the claim. Is this correct?
Yes.

petereff said:

If there was another character in play, could he have actually removed two of the duplicates to save the other character?
No.

When an effect (like 2+ value military claim) kills more than one character, those characters are chosen, then all die at the same time. That means each character can only be chosen once for any military claim, no matter what its value is. So since the unique character can only die once for any single military claim (no matter what the claim value), it only needs to be saved once.

So, on the one hand, if you only have 1 character in play, you only need to save it once, no matter how high the opponent's claim value. But on the other hand, if you have a character in play that can be saved multiple times, other characters in play cannot "hide behind" that character when the claim value is higher than 1.

#46 petereff

petereff

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the response, it makes sense now.

#47 Palpa

Palpa

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:30 AM

Hello all, I'm also new and have a question about duplicates and attachments, did not found it so hope you can help me.

If you have unique character A in play with duplicate B on it, when character A dies, you discard duplicate B in order to save the character. The original card never leaves play - the duplicate does. And since it was saved, it never leaves play -- and was never actually killed -- in any way. So power, attachments, etc. stay because the character never left play, leaving you no reason to do anything to it.

In fact that is what the rules say, as a duplicate cannot hold attachments, they have to stay on the original.

BUT, this would mean that if I attach "Flame kissed" (core) to a character with duplicates on it, and that characters STR is reduced to 0, that the character cannot be saved, as the attachment stays on the character and so still has STR0 and will hence die (you could discard the duplicates to save, save again and than the character will be blank and be killed by the attachment). Right?

#48 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:59 AM

In fact that is what the rules say, as a duplicate cannot hold attachments, they have to stay on the original.

BUT, this would mean that if I attach "Flame kissed" (core) to a character with duplicates on it, and that characters STR is reduced to 0, that the character cannot be saved, as the attachment stays on the character and so still has STR0 and will hence die (you could discard the duplicates to save, save again and than the character will be blank and be killed by the attachment). Right?

This is what we call a "terminal effect", i.e. an effect that will remove a card from play once a constantly checked condition is met. Since the condition is checked constantly, trying to save the card would indeed be pointless. In fact, the FAQ tells us that you cannot even *try* to save the card unless the save also removes the card from the terminal efect at the same time. A card that *could* be saved from an effect like Flame Kissed would be Viserys Targaryen (Core), because his ability saves him *and* removes him from the terminal effect at the same time.

You can read up on terminal effects in the FAQ.

#49 Palpa

Palpa

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:41 AM

Very good, Thanks a lot!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS