• Please log in to reply
895 replies to this topic

#881 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

It's pretty linear.

I spent a few hours going through the old archived data and pulling out the times that people had entered in back when that column existed.

So as of this post, the value's ringing in at about 76 minutes, plus 23 minutes per player.

Go see for yourselves!

Edit: I've also discovered a trick to add in standard deviation, so there can be error bars on the plot.

Edited by Tibs, 18 March 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#882 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

It's interesting comparing AH & EH. Base time for AH is longer than EH, but the extra time / player for AH is shorter. I'd have expected this the other way round.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#883 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

Yes, I was a bit surprised too. What I'm not surprised about is that the error bars on game length appear to be proportionally smaller for Eldritch Horror, even though it has about one tenth the data points as the Arkham spreadsheet.

#884 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

Just a friendly reminder: the Time entry requires the play time in minutes. If you put something like "2.5 hr" it is a string and the formulas would crash. I've now hard-wired my code to ignore anything besides numerical entries outright.

I'll try to catch and correct such entries if I find them.

Edited by Tibs, 22 March 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#885 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

To the Time tab I've added the length of the game with the expansions mixed in. To decouple expansions from investigator count, I tallied only games with 4 investigators (the majority of all games, a bit over half, are this number).

What's interesting is that every expansion makes the game shorter! I interpret this as being a combination of effects: games with expansions are more likely to have experienced players (who do not have to look up rules and who better understand victory strategies); and games with expansions are harder, and harder typically means the game ends quicker.

Another surprise is that Miskatonic and Lurker top the charts as the lengthiest single expansions, surpassing even the board expansions. I'm assuming this is because they've had the fewest plays and that players might be a bit iffy on the best strategy to win.

"All 8 expansions" is ringing in at 3.5 hours on average, which is the value I've been citing for some years as my own experience playing with all of them. Of course, this is a bit circular: that number is derived probably in a large part from the all-expansion games I've played.

Edited by Tibs, 29 March 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#886 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Hey, I just got into Arkham horror and I am loving, thank you for doing this project of yours, it is really awesome!

#887 Chronicles

Chronicles

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Ugh, just submitted a win against Ithaqua with my score as my nickname. Switch "16" with "Chronicles" please.

#888 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:29 AM

just had the devouring gate eat two people at once... wish I could post that on the sheet XD

#889 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

so for submissions, what exactly counts as using KiY and Lurker?  Because often I'll play with the lurker gates and relationship cards but not the lurker himself, which takes out the pacts.  

#890 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

Generally speaking, it was said that the dominant trait (i.e. the reason why you thick a box) is the presence of Mythos in the deck. In the example given, the presence of the Lurker is not relevant for checking the expansion (there are specific lines asking for what Herald was used, and so on).

Hope this helps!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#891 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Julia's right. Specifically, there's a difference between the Lurker expansion and the Lurker herald. You can use one of these without using the other.

If you're using an expansion's Mythos cards or expansion board, you should check that expansion. Otherwise, honestly, it's up to you, but I'd say if you're not using either of those things then you're not using that expansion.

#892 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Is it possible to add a "Custom" option for certain inputs such as Investigators, AOs, Heralds, Institutions, and guardians?  It doesn't even need an input option, but just a stat to show that some people use a variety of custom things.

#893 squad

squad

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

Is there a way  to do some custom searches with this data?  For example, if I want to see the Investigator results, but only for teams of 2-4 players.  I tried downloading it as an excel spreadsheet, thinking I could do it that way, but it wouldn't download in that format.

#894 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:06 AM

You're right, it seems to crash when downloading as an excel. It's probably too big to download now.

Maybe you should try your luck with a csv file.

#895 squad

squad

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

You're right, it seems to crash when downloading as an excel. It's probably too big to download now.

Maybe you should try your luck with a csv file.

The csv format only allows the current sheet to be downloaded.  I was able to download all of it in the opendocument format.  HOwever, if I try to filter out certain results from the submissions, the data elsewhere does not update.  Any ideas?

#896 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:37 AM

Not really, sorry. That sounds like an issue with Google docs. I'm not much of an Excel expert, either.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS