Meta-Sota: The (Cam-) Bridge of Skulls

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

I set up the Baratheon Hedge event for this Saturday. LCG format people. Let's award some pins this time!

#42 The Nick-ler

The Nick-ler

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

<wink> you could always just give me one <wink>

#43 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

Funny. I don't remember the last time I played against you in a game. I've seen you play, but I haven't played you...

You just want to have your Bara pin and play Toasters, don't you.

#44 The Nick-ler

The Nick-ler

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:59 AM

... ummm... no. <wink>

#45 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

Looks like Phantasy Hobbies is throwing down the gauntlet, guys! We'd better step things up lol.

#46 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

Somebody better show up with a deck pretty damn soon. Brad got calle din to work Tuesday shortly after I got here, so we didn't get a agme in, and I want to PLAY!!!!

#47 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

So Seth showed up this evening (his work shifts get done earlier now) and we played two games of Thrones. He didn't bring any decks, and opted to play my Targ Bounce n Burn deck. I played my Martell deck.

The first game was over very quickly. Neither one of us was able to play more than two cards during setup, but he couldn't get his locations into play, and was behind on the gold curve all game. I was able to win challenges against him, play good Martell Control (Broken Arm on Setup, Locked and Arriane 1st Marshalling). When I had character control, he played Winter Storm. I Marshalled ITELP Aero Hotah, and he conceeded.

The second game should have been his. Again, I had a lso-so flop -- ITE Arianne and the +X Inititive guys. He played two Kingdom Location and some other location, so he started with high gold and influence. We both played our Fury plots first turn. I got to drop LP Darkstar with his Kingdom location, he dropped a Queen's Knight. I let him go first, as I had Aerys Oakheart and Milk of the Poppy in my hand. He played Rhegal and some other chump card. I played the neutral fiefdom, and ITE Littlefinger.

He got the upper hand, I killed my Init guys, and did okay with LF and Arianne. The next round he got Queen Dany (5KE) in play, with Don't Wake the Dragon. I played Swearing of Oaths, but even with Nomadic Scholar I couldn't put much together. I did, however, Milk Dany. I think he also got Viserion in play this round as well (fortunately, he didn't have much influence, and I was able to Viper's Bite Viserion the first time he tried to use it. He did, however, discard my Aerys.

The next round I used Benjen's to get Myrcella, he played For Love of Duty. I also drew into a Summer Sea, so I played Mycella and another Scholar. Well, the SCholar died to claim, he burned Darkstar, and I had to win INT at all costs. I failed, and got lucky -- he discarded my Broken Arm. Now I had the upper hand -- I had Arianne and LF in play, 5KE Viper in my hand and two Devious Machinations. I was all set to turn Viserion back on him the next round.

This round, I played Wildfire. He played Swearing of Oaths. He marshalled some good cards (kept both his Dragons and Dany, having used a Dragon Thief to discard Milk. I Marshalled Viper (with a dupe). I had also drawn into Put to the Question.

Sure enough, the first thing he did was Ambush the Queen's Knight, and used Viserion on the Viper. I ptt? it, then knelt Ari and Viper to DM it twice back on Viserion. Then I did it again, using LF and Ari. Bye-bye Viserion. Well, he got his Power challenge off, and used it to get Pyat Pree, then attacked with him and killed Arianne. On my turn, I attacked Power with the Viper (as he was knelt out). Sadly, he had Allies of Necessity and got a character into play, but also my Aerys. So I discarded Pyat (lol). But he won the challenge, and got another character.

The next round I dropped Fleeing to the Wall, and he lost half his location. And didn't draw any more. I had the better characters, and was able to hold him off for the turn, and gain some extra power. On turn six, while I had the upper hand, I played Prove One's Worth and dropped HoTh Quentyn and Anders. Again, he played Allies (And I knelt Anders to give Q 2 power). Then I defended with 4 characters to win a Mil challenge (and 4 power), intentionally lost an INT challenge (stood Viper) and won with an unopposed INT challenge with LF (would have won anyone if he defended, but triggering the Viper.

Had I not 2xDM'd his Viserion, he had the game locked. Completely.

I miss playing this game. We need to do this more often.

#48 RJM

RJM

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Just thought I'd pop in and say that was a nice little game report there.  Thanks for writing that up.  I do love the Martells.  I got in a trio of games earlier tonight with my "standard" Martell deck, and it was tons of fun. 

A game against a Lannister clansmen deck, and 2 games against a Stark Bolton deck.  I managed to draw into the answers I needed almost perfectly in each game, along with an awesome flop/first turn marshalling against the Clansmen of Arianne/Myrcella/Red Viper and a bunch of free locations. 

Gotta say, Intrigue challenes with Venom in the Cup on Deadly Red Viper, and Frey Hospitality revealed against decks that struggle to have strong Intrigue is just nasty. :-)

What I'm dying for is the Martell LCG expansion...  Until then, I think ITE/5KE is really my preferred format.

#49 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:23 AM

Lately I'd been do poorly with my decks. After playing Seth (as described above), I tried running my Targ deck and got beat down for a few games. Then I ran my standard Greyjoy/Winter deck. This deck has had some amazing games -- against Brad running standard Lanni using Bran for plot recustion and Kings of Deceit, I one turn managed to make it Winter, had a two claim plot, and with LCG Theon and the Winter Marauders pretty much managed a 5 kill Military challenge; totaly awesome -- but it's been misfiring on me lately. I need to do some tweaks, but I'm waiting for Kings of the Sea before serious fiddling with it.

Yesterday I tried my Targ BnB deck against Seth's Martell deck. I was able to flop 4 cards, including 5KE Drogon, and then played Herald of the Dragon(?) to put Viserion on top of my deck. Of course, Seth had THe Broken Arm, and always neutered at least one of my dragons. But I managed to draw into both of my Sellsword Companies in the first two turns, and a Queen's Knight. Once I got V in play, even if I couldn't kill one of Seth's characters I could almost always Ambush someone into play, use Viserion to reduce their STR, and then Drogon to kneel them. Seth more than once found himself having to Broken Arm one of my Queen's Knights, only for me to bounce it back to my hand, and then play again (with icons back). I joking referred to my deck as being Targ Control. Even when he had more characters than me, I seemed to always find ways to kneel them out. He never got more than 2 power the entire game, ITE Red Viper was ineffective against me, and my lack of events didn't hurt me. My lack of draw was the worst part of the game, but as I said I did win, and although it took 7 turns it was rather one sided.

Khal Viper wanted to play against my Greyjoy deck, but we spent most of the afternoon playing Monty Python FLuxx, and then I had to take care of some store stuff, so by the time we had time to play it was time to start the Game of Thrones boardgame.

#50 Maester_LUke

Maester_LUke

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:10 AM

I likes me some good Targ Ambush Dragon action.  Curious though JJ, I was thinking about swapping out 5KE Drogon to use the CS version... (perhaps going so far as to play CS Tywin out of house to maximize the ability).  I just was never sold on the kneel ability (unless I was forced to use it in concert with Viserion, and that just seemed to subvert the true power of burn), particularly with the loss of WED Daeny, and MwNK's discouragement of anyone playing something 5K Daeny would effect.... (Though she does hit Reinforcements, now that I think of it.... Hrmm)

Speaking of Targ Control... that's really what my GC build was... I went so far as to remove 5KE Rhaegal, since I just didn't think my deck was about rushing out to finish (and the addition of 2 copies of To Be A Dragon could get me a re-stood Deadly or Stealthy D or V just as well, in addition to the synergy)...  And then I got housed by Geoff Hollis in round 5 with his Stark/Targ monstrosity that ran three Barracks to my two, and combo'd 5KE Rhaegal with ITE Viserion... I was not happy.  But I learned just how much my mindset has evolved toward control since my move to MN... and the (damaging?) exposure to French radiation.   I wouldn't go back to rush for all the world, but I do have to be conscientious of that fact that there's a more aggressive way to play than is normally in my PoV.

#51 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

Oh, I'll admit that my deck has holes. Big holes. The gold curve sucks if I don't get the right locations, it has Shagga written all over it, and in the current environment Valar can be nasty. In fact, that was one of Seth's mistakes. On the first turn I wiped his entire board clean, and he (for some reason) locked Drogon back into my hand. And then played Valar. WTF? Strange

So things I would change would be adding more TBADragons (I think I run one, and a total of 4 or 5 events). I'd like to switch my plots somewhat, as my only reset is Winter Storm -- which actually does help me often. But each plot is in there for a reason, though Don't Wake the Dragon seems to be less useful for Drogon kneel, but good at helping the killing burn.

ANd I should run the Reinforcements cards. DOn't have them in front of me, but playing them does count as a character coming into play to trigger the dragons, right?

Rhaegal could be eliminated, but he is cheap, effective, and works off the strategy of the deck. And I can also stand deadly Drogon or any of my characters who obtained the Dragon trait.

When this deck works, it works great. When it fails, it fails miserably.

#52 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

Hey, if anyone besides me still checks this thread, I'm holding a Standard format event on July 11th for the Martell pin. There is an announcement in the OP section of the boards.

#53 The Red Woman

The Red Woman

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

Hey guys -

Do y'all play with any sort of regularity on a day besides Saturday? I work every Saturday, but would love to come up and play with y'all. I have a new player that's been begging to play with some other people, assuming they're willing to go a little easy on him.

#54 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:19 AM

Geez, Morgan posts in my meta thread and I don't notice it for 2 weeks. Guess I just figured noone came here but me anymore.

We still play casually on Tuesdays, when the mood strikes us. I almost always at the store on Tuesdays, and Brad or Seth sow up if they aren't working. I'll galdly play some games, as I've really fallen behind in deck design and games played. We actually had 4 for the Martell event last weekend (yea! a real tournament!) and there is some talk about being open some Sundays.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Greyjoy expansion. I want to make my deck LCG legal, but I lke the Greyjoy winter theme. The deck itself is still hit or miss, but when it fires it goes kill crazy! And I'm pretty sure if the Martell expansion is as good as I hope it should bring back some of the lapsed players. We had a lot of Martell fans up here, and their absense from the game has been hard to take for some of us.

#55 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:34 AM

This SAturday night at 6pm (Aug 8th) we'll be holding a LCG tournament where the prize will be the Stark Pin.

Also, I will be ordering the new GoT League kit shortly, so the new league will be starting...now! $4 to enter. If I get enough players I will order a second kit, if able.

#56 The Nick-ler

The Nick-ler

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

bump and stuff... i guess.

#57 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

Damn it, I wanted someone to actually post. Besides me.

Well, in the last week I've gone 1-4 in games. Thursday night I played Seth 3 times, and the first two games -- with 2 different "standard" decks -- he walked all over me. The third game was a Martell v Martell match which was incredibly close. On turn six I flooded the board with characters, as I finally got my gold engine moving and made a strong push. Turn 7 he played Valar. Who the hell plays Valar as thier 7th plot? He ended up winning that one, but at least I felt I had a chacne in that game.

Yesterday I went 1-1 playing two games against Brad -- his Greyjoy LCG v my Bara LCG. Both games were lopsided, and I know things I can improve on my deck. He made a play mistake the final round, but I don't think it would have changed the game any. At least it felt good to win a game again.

#58 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

Well Meta-sota players (and lurkers):

I finally placed the order for the LCG storyline kit. We'll run a six-seven week constructed league, ending just after Thanksgiving starting next week. Full details will be worked out, but I expect it will revolve around points earned in matches for getting Melee Champion votes and the other swag from the kit. I'll keep you posted...and I intend to play Thrones on the 13th!

#59 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:26 AM

Hello everyone,

I am new to AGoT (a recent convert from MTG), and I am relatively close to the Cambridge area. Right now I am a total newb. But, over the next few weeks I will be learning to play, and after I feel confident in my basic abilities, will likely want to play with other more experienced players.

I posted in the General AGoT forum as to why I am burned out with MTG.

So, hello everyone! I am also trying to encourage a few other friends who are suffering from MTG burnout to try AGoT for a while.

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#60 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

Welcome to the area, and the boards! We've mostly been playing on Tuesday nights, though this Tuesday we're playing the GoT board game, but we might be able to find the time to play a game or two before it starts though I don't know if I open or close yet at my normal job on Tuesday, which willmake a big difference, for me at least.

Hope to see you at the store!

Oh, and for anyone reading this, I'll be starting the second Storyline League officially on Oct. 27th.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS