A few questions

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#41 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

As always, thank you for your fast replies. Two more questions if you please.

1. Suppose I have a Copper Link attached on an Advisor to the Crown, a card which has a "justification" for kneeling built in. May I kneel him for no other reason other than activating the Chain's response? Typically, I have knelt him for Influence, in reality though I intend not to spend that Influence at all - it was just an "excuse" for activating the Attachment. Is it elligible or do I have to actually spend the Influence somewhere to justify the kneeling?

2. The text on Copper Link baffles me. What does "Limit once per phase" mean? The Response per se in not a Limited one. Does it mean that that particular Copper Link may be used once per phase, but, if I have another one in play (in the same character or not), then the other Link may activate its ability normally? This is the meaning of it I guess.

#42 the1andonlime

the1andonlime

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

Serazu said:

As always, thank you for your fast replies. Two more questions if you please.

1. Suppose I have a Copper Link attached on an Advisor to the Crown, a card which has a "justification" for kneeling built in. May I kneel him for no other reason other than activating the Chain's response? Typically, I have knelt him for Influence, in reality though I intend not to spend that Influence at all - it was just an "excuse" for activating the Attachment. Is it elligible or do I have to actually spend the Influence somewhere to justify the kneeling?

You cannot kneel influence if nothing let's you do so. In AGoT, there is no "mana pool". Influence is only knelt when a card cost/effect tells you to, you cannot actually spend influence (think of it as a reactive "effect" to card text rather than a stored resource to be spent).

Serazu said:

2. The text on Copper Link baffles me. What does "Limit once per phase" mean? The Response per se in not a Limited one. Does it mean that that particular Copper Link may be used once per phase, but, if I have another one in play (in the same character or not), then the other Link may activate its ability normally? This is the meaning of it I guess.

Exactly.

#43 the1andonlime

the1andonlime

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Pokmagok said:

Serazu said:

Kneel the Advisor for 2 Influence to put the ambush character into play.  Then use the Response on the Copper Link to give that character the "Dragon" trait until the end of the phase.  My rules question here is if you resolve the Influence + Ambush before using the Copper Link.  If so, then this combos with:

Or you could just have characters that kneel for fun wear the Apprentice Collar and the Copper Link and kill off the character with Dragon Bite by giving the Dragon Bitten character the dragon trait. (even better with Pale Steel Link for a surprise kill and Bronze Link for recycling fun). Marya Seaworth is a good candidate here since she can stand herself to do more tricks.

#44 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:23 AM

Thanks.

Another question: I have an Advisor with 2 Copper Links attached and another non-Dragon on the board. I intend to turn the Advisor and the other character into Dragons and attack.

1. The rules state "Then declare attackers by kneeling..." etc. At the "Responses" section it states that "Responses resolve before the next action may be taken".  The moment the Advisor kneels, the Links' abilities kick in, but when exactly do the Advisor and the other character turn into Dragons? Does kneeling the Advisor for attacking constitute an action, so is this the point when both turn into Dragons?

#45 schrecklich

schrecklich

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

Serazu said:

Another question: I have an Advisor with 2 Copper Links attached and another non-Dragon on the board. I intend to turn the Advisor and the other character into Dragons and attack.

1. The rules state "Then declare attackers by kneeling..." etc. At the "Responses" section it states that "Responses resolve before the next action may be taken".  The moment the Advisor kneels, the Links' abilities kick in, but when exactly do the Advisor and the other character turn into Dragons? Does kneeling the Advisor for attacking constitute an action, so is this the point when both turn into Dragons?

Declaring attackers is a framework action.  After that action window is started and the characters are knelt, there is the opportunity for passive abilities to initiate and then for responses to be triggered.  So yes, the characters could be turned into Dragons shortly after being knelt to attack, but you must choose to trigger the responses (they are optional) and you must do so within the normal framework action timing (i.e. they could not be turned into Dragons before passive abilities are resolved normally, and your opponents would get some opportunities for responses (depending a bit on who is First Player)).  

Is there a particular interaction you were hoping would work?  By the time the characters become dragons, it is too late to trigger any "whenever a Dragon character attacks" passives, but I am not aware of any card with an effect like that in the LCG.  They are still attacking dragons for triggering things like The Dragon's Fire ("Challenges: Choose 1 Dragon character. Until the end of the phase, that character gains: "While this character is attacking, defending characters get -1 STR and are killed if their STR is 0."").

#46 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

No, there was no particular reason for asking, just familiarizing myself with timing. Thanks.

#47 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

Can I give, for obvious reasons, the "Raven" trait to a location via cards, such as "Copper Link"? The text on the latter mentions "card", but I 've yet to see a location with the "Raven" trait on it. I guess I can.  In other words, which card types are eligible to trait manipulation by "Copper Link"? Characters, locations and attachments? Are these the three types?

#48 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

Copper Link specifically says "choose a card in play." So your question about "what card types are eligible" is misplaced. Card type doesn't enter into consideration - only whether the card is "in play" or not. Who controls it, what House it is, what traits it has, nothing else matters other than it being "in play."

There is also nothing in the rules limiting any particular trait to any particular type of card. Just because there are no locations with the printed "Raven" trait does not limit you to matching traits to card types where they appear "naturally." Make a character a Warship. Make an attachment an "Mercenary." Make a location a "Skill." Make the House card a "Crown." None of it matters because the only limitation put on Copper Link by itself or the rules is "choose a card in play" (and that the trait given be a known trait that appears in the game - more by tradition than anything else; no making Jon Snow a "Jedi").

#49 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:04 PM

Fair enough.

1. Concerning the Queen's Knight and  the "After a non- Knight character comes into play, return Queen's Knight to its owner's hand.", do I take the text literally, i.e. does it include characters played by me or my opponents' or only characters that specifically come into play, such as with Ambush, Shadow characters and so on?

2. If I take the literal meaning under consideration and the second interpretation is the correct, what happens in the case where a unique non-Knight Shadow character is already in play and I reveal the same character out of the Shadows? The revealed Shadow character immediately attaches as a duplicate, so it isn't considered a "character" and thus the Knight's ability is not triggered, correct?

#50 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

A card "comes into play" both when it is "played" from your hand or "put into play" from any out-of-play area.

#51 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

1. Then the first instance is the correct one and whenever a non-Knight character is introduced to play (whether "played" or "put into play") the Queen's Knight returns to my hand, right?

2. Concerning my other question, the one with the shadow character who attaches as a duplicate, this one is not considered a character, but just duplicate, so the Knight stays into play, right?

#52 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

Serazu said:

1. Then the first instance is the correct one and whenever a non-Knight character is introduced to play (whether "played" or "put into play") the Queen's Knight returns to my hand, right?

2. Concerning my other question, the one with the shadow character who attaches as a duplicate, this one is not considered a character, but just duplicate, so the Knight stays into play, right?

1. Yes.

2. I'm gonna say it depends. For a copy of a unique card with Shadow crest in play, I'll say yes, because, as you said, the rules for Shadow cards state that if you bring a unique card out of Shadows, it "immediately attaches to its copy as a duplicate". If we're talking about the QoD Hatchlings, then I'll say no, because they come into play as themselves and only turn into duplicates via their card text. But perhaps ktom can confirm.

#53 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Saturnine said:

2. I'm gonna say it depends. For a copy of a unique card with Shadow crest in play, I'll say yes, because, as you said, the rules for Shadow cards state that if you bring a unique card out of Shadows, it "immediately attaches to its copy as a duplicate". If we're talking about the QoD Hatchlings, then I'll say no, because they come into play as themselves and only turn into duplicates via their card text. But perhaps ktom can confirm.

You obviously refer to the instances where the mature version of the corresponding Dragon is in play, not the same Hatchling. I tend to agree.

#54 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:51 PM

Serazu said:

You obviously refer to the instances where the mature version of the corresponding Dragon is in play, not the same Hatchling. I tend to agree.

Yes, indeed.

#55 Flintacs

Flintacs

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:19 AM

ktom said:

Make the House card a "Crown." 

Is it possible to add traits to House cards with Copper Link?

What would happen if I give the Raven trait to a House card and then try to activate the Carrion Bird's ability?

#56 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:26 AM

Flintacs said:

ktom said:

Make the House card a "Crown." 

What would happen if I give the Raven trait to a House card and then try to activate the Carrion Bird's ability?

House cards cannot be removed from play. Besides, Carrion Bird only affects cards with the printed Raven trait now (see the latest FAQ)

#57 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:18 AM

Flintacs said:

(4.10) House Cards
House cards are considered to be "in play,"
and cannot be removed from play for any reason.

So yeah, it is possible to add traits to the House card with Copper Link. It's pretty pointless, though.

#58 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

1. Concerning "Dragon Fear", its usefulness in forcing my opponent to pick a character with that attachment on it when he loses a military challenge is granted. If I lose a military challenge, may I pick one of my opponent's characters with the Fear attached to satisfy his military claim? The rules state that one of my characters has to pay that price, but does this attachment introduce an exception? I guess not, since it doesn't make much sense and, besides, this way the Fear becomes insanely powerful, but am I correct to consider the effect of such a card applicable in cases where I win a military challenge as a attacker and only then?

2. Does Core Tywin Lannister return any unspent gold tokens on him during the Taxation phase or does he keep them?

#59 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

Serazu said:

1. Concerning "Dragon Fear", its usefulness in forcing my opponent to pick a character with that attachment on it when he loses a military challenge is granted. If I lose a military challenge, may I pick one of my opponent's characters with the Fear attached to satisfy his military claim? The rules state that one of my characters has to pay that price, but does this attachment introduce an exception? I guess not, since it doesn't make much sense and, besides, this way the Fear becomes insanely powerful, but am I correct to consider the effect of such a card applicable in cases where I win a military challenge as a attacker and only then?
The text on Dragon Fear is:

If there is at least 1 Dragon character in play, attached character must be chosen to satisfy MIL claim, if able.

The important part here is "if able." You are, under normal circumstances, not able to choose an opponent's character to satisfy claim when you lose a military challenge. It is not a valid target. So the "if able" language of the card makes it pretty clear that you are not given "special powers" to do something you would not normally be able to do.

Serazu said:

2. Does Core Tywin Lannister return any unspent gold tokens on him during the Taxation phase or does he keep them?
The rules on the Taxation phase says that your gold pool is empties back into the treasury. The gold on Tywin is not in your gold pool. Therefore, Taxation does nothing to the gold on Tywin - or any other character.

#60 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

1. "Lannisport Brothel": when its ability is used, the card remains knelt during the next round, correct?

2. "Yunkai": if one non-Dragon character got turned into a Dragon and then, via Yunkai, got Renown and a few Power tokens on it, when that character stops being a Dragon, he retains those tokens, correct?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS