A few questions

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#21 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:51 AM

Hm, then I guess the Viserion / Black Hatchling / Green Hatchling is the optimal way to go at the earliest rounds of the game. With a Meereen in play, the effect would be absurd. Then, Rhaegal hits in and, along with his mature brothers, gives the final boost to victory.

Considering also that the Hatchlings come out of the shadows, locations such as the Dragonpit will probably see major play in various decks. So many possibilities...

Yup, this is definitely going to be the Summer of Dragons.

#22 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:46 AM

New questions:

1. Can I use the Lion's Gate effect on a card with no power tokens on it, so as to give it a trait of my liking?

I guess not, since, from the way I see it, the LG is not after cards, but after power tokens. Then, if one is found on a card, the second ability kicks in (which, if I understand things correctly, is mandatory, being a passive ability).

Am I correct?

I 'm really sorry if the answers to the following questions are obvious, but better be safe than sorry...

2. Is there a cap to the cards I hold in hand? I guess there isn't, otherwise the rules would state it. Besides, if there was, then the Val / Laughing Storm combo, wouldn't have been so game-breaking. Correct?

3. By the term of "income" one refers to gold production, not influence. Correct?

#23 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:20 AM

1. The "then" part of the effect can only apply when the preceding effect has resolved successfully (so it's not exactly a passive ability, it is more of a gated active ability). So you can try and discard a power from a card that doesn't have any power tokens on it, but since you couldn't successfully discard a power from it, you cannot give it a trait with Lion's Gate.

2. You are correct again. There's no cap. :)

3. Correct.

#24 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:38 AM

Two questions concerning the "Narrow Escape":

1. Are the cards returned to play from the discard or dead piles, those in a single player's piles or ALL cards that went to ALL corresponding piles that phase? In the latter case, then an opponent should benefit from the Escape's effect as well.

2. In a case where, in the same phase, a player had to put characters both in his dead and his discard piles, does the Escape covers both instances or does he have to choose between dead and discarded characters?

#25 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:58 AM

NE brings back all characters from all dead and discard piles.

#26 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:13 AM

Ratatoskr said:

(that were killed or discarded that phase) ;)

#27 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

Saturnine said:

Ratatoskr said:

Of course.

#28 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

Saturnine said:

From play.

#29 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:01 AM

1. Can I put into play, via Ambush from the Plains, a Shadow character?

2. If a mature version of a Dragon is already in play and I have its corresponding new Hatchling version in hand, may I attach the latter to the former as a duplicate, following the usual procedure, or do I have to put the Hatchling in the Shadows first?

#30 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:22 AM

Serazu said:

Sure. Just remember how to calculate the printed cost of a Shadow card.

Serazu said:

2. If a mature version of a Dragon is already in play and I have its corresponding new Hatchling version in hand, may I attach the latter to the former as a duplicate, following the usual procedure, or do I have to put the Hatchling in the Shadows first?
Well, if you try to attach the Hatchling to the adult dragon in the "usual" way, you run into the problem that they two cards do not have the same name. The "usual" way is very clear that you can only dupe a unique card with another copy of that unique card -- meaning one that has the same title. Note also that, because they do not have the same name, you do not break any rules for unique cards if you try to play/put into play the corresponding Hatchling.

So, no. You cannot use a Hatchling to dupe a dragon from your hand. The Hatchling's text is a character ability that does not specifically work when the character is not in play. As such, it is not active in your hand and thus cannot serve as an exception to the duplicate rules. You have to actually put the Hatchling into Shadows and bring it out of Shadows and into play. Once in play, it's ability kicks in.

#31 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

ktom said:

Serazu said:

Sure. Just remember how to calculate the printed cost of a Shadow card.

2 printed cost for the Hatchling, right?

Another question, concerning timing:

Suppose that an opponent attacks with a character, to whom I 've already attached "Dragon Bite" (which, by the way, with its zero cost and the introduction of "Ambush from the Plains" and the new ambush Dragons, instantly became one of the coolest attachments in the current environment). I have the new Black Hatchling in my hand and Drogon already in play, but knelt, so unable to be declared as a defender. If I play "Ambush from the Plains" with the intention of putting the Black Hatchling into play as a defender, which of the two will come first:

1. The Black Hatchling instantly becomes Drogon's duplicate, thus it doesn't participate in the challenge and the attacker is not killed by "Dragon Bite"

or

2. The Hatchling momentarily participates in the challenge, enough for triggering the killing blow of the "Dragon Bite" and then it attaches to Drogon as a duplicate.

I suppose the former is more likely to happen. As long as Drogon is in play, the Hatchling instantly attaches to him as a duplicate.

#32 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

Serazu said:

Suppose that an opponent attacks with a character, to whom I 've already attached "Dragon Bite" (which, by the way, with its zero cost and the introduction of "Ambush from the Plains" and the new ambush Dragons, instantly became one of the coolest attachments in the current environment). I have the new Black Hatchling in my hand and Drogon already in play, but knelt, so unable to be declared as a defender. If I play "Ambush from the Plains" with the intention of putting the Black Hatchling into play as a defender, 
Well, pay attention to what Ambush from the Plains does. It simply puts the character into play from your hand. It does not put the character into play as an attacker or defender in the challenge. You'd still need to declare the character as an attacker or defender the same as you would for any other character. Keep that in mind for your timing - that Ambush from the Plains will need to be played before defenders are declared (meaning that the character you drop in might still be hit by Stealth).

So if you use Ambush from the Plains on a Hatchling with the adult dragon in play, it's "attach as a dupe" effect is going to kick in during the same action window in which you play the event - as soon as it comes into play. That is looong before you ever have a chance to declare it as a defender. So this particular "Hatchling Combo" doesn't do anything with Dragon Bite.

#33 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

Yeah, I know that Ambush does not instantly put attackers or defenders in play. What I had in mind was I-will-put-it-into-play-and-then-I-am-going-to-declare-it-as-a-defender. Poor wording on my behalf.

PS - The Ambush from the Plains Hatchling combines extremely well with Dragon Bite, as long as its adult version is not in play.

#34 Pokmagok

Pokmagok

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

Serazu said:

PS - The Ambush from the Plains Hatchling combines extremely well with Dragon Bite, as long as its adult version is not in play.

Unless I read incorrectly (which is entirely possible) you can also abuse the following in a Targ Maester deck:

Advisor to the Crown (which At the Gates will fetch for you)

Copper Link (tucked into the Maester agenda)

Any 2-cost or less ambush character.

Kneel the Advisor for 2 Influence to put the ambush character into play.  Then use the Response on the Copper Link to give that character the "Dragon" trait until the end of the phase.  My rules question here is if you resolve the Influence + Ambush before using the Copper Link.  If so, then this combos with:

Dragon Attack, Dragon Bite, and Dragon Fear.  Also The Dragon Strikes, if you have another Influence kicking around.

Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion.  As long as your ambushing character gets 'Dragon', then their dragon-only bonuses should work.

Daenerys QoD. Ambushing dragons do not kneel to attack.

Horn of Dragons.  It's a Greyjoy item, but may be worth paying 4 gold if you're turning the OTHER player's characters into dragons.

Astapor, Meereen, Qarth, and Yunkai.  All the Targ dragon-buffing locations basically.

#35 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

Serazu said:

Hence the "so this particular 'Hatchling combo'..." wording.

Pokmagok said:

Unless I read incorrectly (which is entirely possible) you can also abuse the following in a Targ Maester deck:
Sure. You can use Copper Link to abuse certain traits in pretty much all the Houses.

#36 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Initiate of the Citadel is another sexy Maester in the new Targ mega-expansion. With such terrific 0 cost attachments as Dragon Fear and Dragon Bite, this man leaves plenty of opportunity to control the board without hampering your gold production. Quite valuable in a Dragon deck I 'd wager.

#37 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:05 AM

Question:

When cards such as Flaming-Pitch Tower state as a prerequisite, winning "a challenge by 4 or more total STR" does it mean:

1. My total STR has to be at least 4 more than my opponent's, i.e. 5 for me and 1 for him,

or

2. My STR has to be at least 4 and (of course) greater than my opponent's even by an increment of 1, i.e. 5 for me and 4 for him?

Thank you.

#38 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

Serazu said:

Question:

When cards such as Flaming-Pitch Tower state as a prerequisite, winning "a challenge by 4 or more total STR" does it mean:

1. My total STR has to be at least 4 more than my opponent's, i.e. 5 for me and 1 for him,

or

2. My STR has to be at least 4 and (of course) greater than my opponent's even by an increment of 1, i.e. 5 for me and 4 for him?

Thank you.

The answer is #1.

If #2 were true, the wording on those types of responses would be "a challenge WITH 4 or more total STR".

See the event "Make an Example":

Response: After you win a challenge and count 8 or more total STR, claim 3 power for your House. (Limit 1 per phase.)

This speaks of nothing more than using 8 or more total strength to win a challenge.  This is when #2 applies.

#39 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:22 AM

And actually, Make An Example doesn't really reference the source of this STR so I could be wrong on how the event is used. 

#40 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

Bomb said:

And actually, Make An Example doesn't really reference the source of this STR 

Sure it does. It says "After you win a challenge and count 8 or more total STR...." So the "source" of the STR is whatever your total challenge STR count was. That, in turn, comes from your participating characters (and any general bonuses like the +3 STR Multiplayer Titles).

You are correct about the difference between "win by 4 STR" and "count a total of 4 STR." The first looks at the difference between the two sides of the challenge, the second just looks at your side.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS