• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

hey there,

my players (zealot, barber surgeon, mercenary) have a shared background, they are all former members of a mercenary company. the barber player chose to be affluent and excels at charm and guile, so as a group we decided that he was a bit of a con artist. he got caught out cheating someone important within the company and he and his witless accomplices fled or were run out (haven't decided which yet).

my question is, are there any books of fiction or from earlier editions of wfrp that detail mercenary companies in the old world? i can make the background up myself, but thought if there were some canon examples that they maybe more fun.

thanks

#2 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

New Zombie said:

hey there,

my players (zealot, barber surgeon, mercenary) have a shared background, they are all former members of a mercenary company. the barber player chose to be affluent and excels at charm and guile, so as a group we decided that he was a bit of a con artist. he got caught out cheating someone important within the company and he and his witless accomplices fled or were run out (haven't decided which yet).

my question is, are there any books of fiction or from earlier editions of wfrp that detail mercenary companies in the old world? i can make the background up myself, but thought if there were some canon examples that they maybe more fun.

thanks

There's the material released for WFB, some of the background for the units is available on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....War_(Warhammer)

The WFB material is a little... cheesy, however, not as grimdark as WFRP tends to be, but you might find some useful info there.

#3 Callidon

Callidon

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

http://en.wikipedia...._War_(Warhammer)

A few mercenary companies of note are listed there amongst the ragtag Dogs of War (mixed units and hired swords) used in the Warhammer Fantasy Battle game.

*EDIT*:  I should have hit publish sooner...skewered by Macd21

STUFF:

Edge of the Empire: Talent Trees; Force Powers; Character Sheet

#4 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

thanks for the link(s)

i'm looking for fluff fluff fluffy mcfluff.

is there much fluff in the dogs of war codex thingamy? (sorry not a battles player)

#5 Callidon

Callidon

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:10 PM

Check out:

http://warhammerarmi...t.blogspot.com/

It is a fan-made army rule site for armies that have been dropped by GW in the current edition or other tangential side-works.  I can't vouch for the legitimacy of the other links on the site but  the "Regiments of Renown" link should get to a place that at least discusses various mercenary companies even if it is geared toward the tabletop war game.  If that fails to provide the fluff you're after then maybe some of us around here should band together and write up a merc supplement of our own :)

Cheers,

STUFF:

Edge of the Empire: Talent Trees; Force Powers; Character Sheet

#6 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

Warpstone Issue 24 has a large article about mercenaries and playing as one.

The linking function is broken AGAIN and so is "paste".... visit www.warpstone.org > issues 

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#7 Ivan Kerensky

Ivan Kerensky

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

The whole warhammer fantasy battle computer portage is about the adventures (and battle) of a mercenary company and his charismatic leader Morgan Bernhardt. The series is quite old for the first item : Shadow of the Horned Rat, followed by Dark Omen and more recently by Mark of Chaos.

#8 DE4DF1SH

DE4DF1SH

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:31 AM

I just read a book by Jonathan Green called 'The Dead and the Damned' which is a collection of short stories all about the same mercenary company. It's really cool. I like the characters a lot, and the author makes all the nightmares of the Old Worlde serious and deadly.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0743443292

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS