A few questions from a beginner

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

Thanks, Manishtusu ~ you had my back.  I was writing stream of consciousness style, so unless you followed it very closely [Lore (-2) check), that point may have been missed by the reader.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#82 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

A slight correction: Placing the clue tokens comes before moving monsters.

#83 sakagoal

sakagoal

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hello, everyone. I just a qustion to ask you for clear because I have bad convesation

Mythos phase is the last phase of each turn?

I mean if we has 4 players

Before start game = 1 mythos card

End turn of first player = 1 mythos phase

End turn of second player = 1 mythos phase

End turn of third player = 1 mythos phase

End turn of forth player = 1 mythos phase

it's run to End turn of first player again until ancient one awake?

#84 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

No, it goes like this:

One Mythos at start of game.

1. Upkeep: each investigator does upkeep.
  2. Movement: each investigator does movement.
  3. Arkham Encounters: each investigator in a location has an encounter, even if they are delayed.
  4. Other World Encounters: each investigator in an other world gets an encounter, even if they were drawn into a gate and delayed.
  5. Mythos: ONE mythos card is drawn by the first player. You do not draw one per player.

Repeat until you beat the AO or it awakens.

#85 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yeah, with that many Mythos cards the AO would be awake and already brushing his teeth in Kingsport Harbor by turn two.

#86 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Serazu said:

A slight correction: Placing the clue tokens comes before moving monsters.

I was about to correct you but… you are right. For some reason, I've been playing it like this: gate -> movement -> clue -> special. Not that it matters much, but good to know. :-)

#87 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Yes, right. Clue placement before monsters only matters under three specific circumstances (one for each board expansion!):

One occurs when a clue appears on an investigator who can immediately take the clue; if afterwards a monster enters a vortex, causing an ally to be returned to the box and summoning a Servant of Glaaki (Glaaki must be the AO), it could be the servant that causes all investigators to discard two clues.

The second involves a Kingsport Mask monster (so, against Nyarlathotep only) whose movement is to destroy the nearest clue. And only then, of course,  will it move if the newly placed clue becomes the closest one to it.

The last is when using Father Dagon as a herald. The clue could appear on an investigator, and the investigator can take it immediately, similarly to the first example; then if a monster enters a vortex during that monster movement step, the terror level will increase, and subsequently all investigators will be required to discard a clue.

Perhaps (likely) there are more, but these came to mind. Actually, there could be a monster that causes damage when moving, and an investigator would need their newly-obtained clue to cast Flesh Ward, etc…

#88 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Good call, Tibs ~ I, for one, could not readily call to mind those specific times when the sequence of events, including clue token placement, mattered a great deal.  But, you've cited a few examples which speaks to the numbers of games you've played over the years.

The Professor

#89 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Okay, a few more questions…

For Hounds of Tindalos, when they move, do they simply move towards the closest viable investigator, or do they just appear at the Investigator's location? So if a Hound appears a Yuggoth Gate in the Woods moving on that Mythos phase, and Harvey Walters is at the Historical Society with his Sneak on low, does the hound first move to the Uptown Streets to go after Harvey or does it just zip straight to the Historical Society?

Second…what are the dimensional symbols on the Being of Ib tokens for?

#90 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Wolfgar said:

Okay, a few more questions…

For Hounds of Tindalos, when they move, do they simply move towards the closest viable investigator, or do they just appear at the Investigator's location? So if a Hound appears a Yuggoth Gate in the Woods moving on that Mythos phase, and Harvey Walters is at the Historical Society with his Sneak on low, does the hound first move to the Uptown Streets to go after Harvey or does it just zip straight to the Historical Society?

Second…what are the dimensional symbols on the Being of Ib tokens for?

Hounds of Tindalos move directly on the nearest investigator in a location (not in a street area!), like they were teleporting (in fact, they move through space and reform in the corners of rooms and so on). So, in your example, the Hound in the Woods (you thought he was Duke, uh? WRONG! ::laughter::) moves directly on Harvey (regardless of the value of his Sneak, the Hound moves on the nearest investigator, so you count spaces)

I don't think there is a special use for the dimensional symbol on the Being of Ib chits. Probably they wanted not to leave the space empty. Dunno.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#91 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

Regarding the Dimensional Symbols on the Being of Ib markers…I agree with Julia's "Dunno" ~ though it could be to have a symbol so when the Dark Druid moves, you remember to move them, as well.

The Professor

#92 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

The Professor said:

Regarding the Dimensional Symbols on the Being of Ib markers…I agree with Julia's "Dunno" ~ though it could be to have a symbol so when the Dark Druid moves, you remember to move them, as well.

Yeah, and so? They never hit the board, and their ability influences the game as long as they are on Bokrug's sheet. They give you penalties until you spend trophies to get rid of them. And nothing more. The white border should imply this: they don't have any type of movement. So, really, I can't see any case when their dimensional symbol could be used.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#93 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Julia said:

Hounds of Tindalos move directly on the nearest investigator in a location (not in a street area!), like they were teleporting (in fact, they move through space and reform in the corners of rooms and so on). So, in your example, the Hound in the Woods (you thought he was Duke, uh? WRONG! ::laughter::) moves directly on Harvey (regardless of the value of his Sneak, the Hound moves on the nearest investigator, so you count spaces)

I don't think there is a special use for the dimensional symbol on the Being of Ib chits. Probably they wanted not to leave the space empty. Dunno.

I only mention Sneak because of its use for tie-breakers. So it zips directly onto the Historical Society?

#94 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Wolfgar said:

Julia said:

I only mention Sneak because of its use for tie-breakers. So it zips directly onto the Historical Society?

Yup!

#95 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Julia ~ good point.  Sorry about that; Iconfused these adorable little creatures with another monster that does appear on the board. 

The Professor

#96 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Sneak would matter though if the 'pup' was on board A, but the nearest investigators in a location were on different boards. In that case, instead of counting actual distance, she would spacejump to the investigator with the lowest sneak value.  

#97 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Manishtusu said:

Sneak would matter though if the 'pup' was on board A, but the nearest investigators in a location were on different boards. In that case, instead of counting actual distance, she would spacejump to the investigator with the lowest sneak value.  

Why? Maybe I'm missing your point, but in the Official Answer by Kevin Wilson thread (here) we read:

Hounds of Tindalos (12/11/06)
Hounds of Tindalos should move between Arkham and Dunwich, yes. If there's no one in Dunwich and a Hound there moves, it should jump to the investigator in a location nearest the Train Station. (And as with Flying monsters, if that makes it exceed the monster limit, it instead goes to the Outskirts).

You still count spaces from the Train Station, and use the Sneak only to break ties, From the FAQ, pag 11:

Q: Who determines where a Hound of Tindalos moves if two investigators are tied in being nearest to the hound?
A: As per the rules governing flying monsters, the hound will go after the investigator with the lower Sneak value. In case of a tie, the first player chooses.

#98 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

"Q: When monsters that move to the “closest investigator” are on a board with no investigators, how do they move?

A: They move towards the investigator with the lowest Sneak value on any board. First player chooses if tied."

Page 12 of the 43-page FAQ. I believe it applies to the Hound as well, although the other version would be logical too. Unless the train station is not the closest physical location to the hound, which could make a difference thematically speaking. After all, she doesn't need a train to between towns! ;-)

#99 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Manishtusu said:

"Q: When monsters that move to the “closest investigator” are on a board with no investigators, how do they move?

A: They move towards the investigator with the lowest Sneak value on any board. First player chooses if tied."

Page 12 of the 43-page FAQ. I believe it applies to the Hound as well, although the other version would be logical too. Unless the train station is not the closest physical location to the hound, which could make a difference thematically speaking. After all, she doesn't need a train to between towns! ;-)

Uh, good catch, thanks! I should have missed this one. I guess I'll keep on playing according to Kevin's original answer (Kevin was not the guy who finished compiling the FAQ), but good to know the rule was then changed!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS